* Zantarni, year 2 ... in review *
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Back to Forum -> The City Hall
Blazestorm

Queen of the Realm
Mon Jul 30, 2012 7:10 pm

Hello everyone!

Yes, it's that time of year again... the annual synopsis of things Zantarnian! XD

It has now been two years since Zukyun and I acquired Zantarni... and although I'd like to think that over the last year we have continued to make good progress on many of the issues that we inherited with the Realm, the truth is, it doesn't feel like we have.

Basically, the last year seems to have had had Zukyun and myself doing a fair amount of face-palming and head-desking with our investigations in to numerous options, technical platforms and software packages that might help get Zantarni "up where it should be". Through this process, we have looked at, and consequently eliminated, many options for upgrading Zantarni that although they might work (if you like cookie-cutter type sites), they would only create a different set of headaches to deal with (technical headaches of integrating existing code and systems in to something "out of the box" and making sure everything is secure, for example) and they wouldn't create the customized, unique, and "rich" Realm we truly envision and want Zantarni to be.

So what's the conclusion? Well, we'll be rewriting the site from scratch. Yep... from a blank virtual page... and ending with completely customized, hand-written code, and hopefully, a better site when we're done. Unfortunately, this takes time... time found around family, full-time jobs, and other adult-type responsibilities. However, we have started working on rebuilding the site and we have made some progress, but we're still very much at the beginning phases of things.

That said, we are quite excited at some of the things we are incorporating - things like enhanced profiles and more "personal space", a closet or trunk for wardrobe extras, random number generators for your use in the forums and RPs, the development of a couple new features that I'm not ready to reveal just yet, a rebuilt citizens marketplace / trading system, and several other cool things that I'm forgetting about... just for starters! Although taking this route will take time (any option would; this one will likely take a bit more time, but we think the payoff will be well worth it), we will do our best to keep plugging away at the coding and site development to build a better Zantarni.

And while we continue our redevelopment efforts, we are also continuing to keep things moving along here (on this platform), addressing those issues that need immediate attention, continuing our efforts to stabilize the Realm and its economy (like the very recent changes made in Mining, Fishing and Deeds), continuing to hold events and release some very cool items to the various Zantarni shops.

... and we have had some very cool things happen across the Realm this last year...

We have been visited by several elemental Faeries and seem some rather spooky things like Skeletons and Headless avatars (eep!) make an appearance within our Gates... we've seen lots of new Wings show up across Edingtol... we've seen Conquistadors, Explorers, Warriors, Court Jesters and Wizards of various cultures and inclinations... we have also seen the colors and hues of Twilight and the Aurora reflected across our Realm... we've been visited by friendly Dragons of Earth, Fire, Water and Metal... seen the return of the People of the Hoof, with their colorful items and playful ranks of mystical and magical creatures... have been slightly overrun by Frogs, Leprechauns, and Bunnies at different points of the last year... we've taken a much needed trip to the Tropics, and investigated the Castle a bit... we have had our newest NPC, The Trickster, make an appearance or two... and, of course, we have also seen the arrival of many new players to Edingtol's Gates...

So, going forward, I'd like to express to everyone our thanks at your continued support of this wonderful Realm and its people, and appreciation for your patience as Zukyun and I (and all the Staff of Zantarni!) continue to work very hard to further development of and your enjoyment in Zantarni.

We also hope that you have enjoyed yourselves the last year (or more!) and that you, like us, are looking forward to the forthcoming changes and continued development of our Realm as we enter Year 3... and We hope to see more people coming through the Gates over the next year, participating in and contributing to the unique culture we are fortunate to have here - so invite your friends, and share with them our wonderful little world! XD

Mon Jul 30, 2012 7:36 pm
YAY! :3
Mon Jul 30, 2012 8:37 pm
Speaking of wardrobe changes....can we please get an option to save outfits? Very Happy

Mon Jul 30, 2012 10:24 pm
Smile it is nice to here some news on this Smile
Mon Jul 30, 2012 11:07 pm
You guys are doing a wonderful job! : D

Long-term Citizen
Mon Jul 30, 2012 11:43 pm
Good luck in your code writing. I look forward to seeing what interesting things you come up with in the future since you have done such nice things so far.
Tue Jul 31, 2012 12:04 am
I may have mostly lurked, but I have enjoyed myself a great deal! I am sure the rewrite will be worth the time it takes.

Dedicated Citizen
Tue Jul 31, 2012 1:03 am
While you may feel like your efforts haven't been much, I beleive that you and Zukyun have done a wonderful job and I trust that Zantarni will blossom into what you envisioned for it. The great sequoia trees don't become as amazing as they are overnight Wink

Avi Vote
Tue Jul 31, 2012 3:28 am
I think you guys have done an amazing job with Zantarni. I have certainly enjyed it more since you took over the throne. Very Happy

DG

DG
Tue Jul 31, 2012 4:27 am
Eeewwwwwwwwwwwwww . . . code writing . . . . Very Happy Heart Heart Heart Heart Heart

>_____>; . . . .

*Sneaks back into the dungeon.*
Tue Jul 31, 2012 4:34 am
DG wrote:
Eeewwwwwwwwwwwwww . . . code writing . . . . Very Happy Heart Heart Heart Heart Heart

>_____>; . . . .

*Sneaks back into the dungeon.*

Lol. Me too.

Siggeh by Manda of HeartsEnchanted.com
Tue Jul 31, 2012 9:12 am
I can only imagine the headaches that you must be encountering in the coding and doing it from scratch is probably alot easier than fixing what you have inherited. I think we are all aware of how hard you guys have been working to try and fix everything and improve things at the same time. Dont beat yourself up over it. I dont think there is anyone on Zan who can fault you for what you have done. I hope that you can now incorporate more ideas into the new site so that people will come back and new people will stay.

Keep up the good work...
Tue Jul 31, 2012 9:45 am
All I can say is Thanks for making Zan a place where so many people can call home and keeping it that way, in our huge dysfunctional family.

Also, new codes are great, but no multiple month downtimes, please Dead

The Unorthodox Threesome's Quest
Blazestorm

Queen of the Realm
Tue Jul 31, 2012 2:17 pm
Thanks, guys - all of you! Heart This -this wonderful community of "genuine people"- is why I and the Staff continue to work so diligently on and for the site! Thank you for understanding and being so supportive.

Riley wrote:
... The great sequoia trees don't become as amazing as they are overnight Wink

LOL! No, they certainly don't grow overnight, Riley - but I also hope that growing Zantarni won't take as long as a Sequoia tree either! (and there are times I'm not so sure about that Dead )

Sharingan wrote:
... no multiple month downtimes, please Dead

Don't worry, Sharingan - we will do our absolute best to keep the site up and running throughout all phases of development and integration. It shouldn't be an issue.

There may come a time when we intentionally skip or scale back an event or something, however, because of needing to focus more on the new platform... and although we don't anticipate any down time during this redevelopment process, it may need to happen as we get closer to release. But if so, it's a long time away, and I can't imagine that any down time, should it happen, would be for more than a day or two.

Regardless, -and I remind everyone again that we are still at the beginning of this and there are many details yet to be ironed out- We will do our best to keep everyone informed of what's going on as our efforts become more solidified too...

In the meantime, we truly appreciate everyone's support and I encourage you all to just keep enjoying the site... keep posting and participating in the various activities throughout the Realm... hold your RPs, Raffles, Contests, buy some gems and enjoy the DIs every month, invite your friends to come join you here, etc.!

Tue Jul 31, 2012 2:56 pm
Thanks for aaaaaaaalll the hard work you are doing to keep this site awesome!! We like it,and appreciate it!! Very Happy Very Happy
Page 1 of 2