~Zantarni Book Club v.1~
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Choose book for our first session
1. Stolen Songbird by Danielle L. Jensen
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
2. The 5 Love Languages by Gary Chapman (non-fiction)
40%
 40%  [ 2 ]
3. The Jane Austen Book Club by Karen Joy Fowler
40%
 40%  [ 2 ]
4. Shakespeare
20%
 20%  [ 1 ]
5. 4321 by Paul Auster
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
Total Votes : 5

LillieRose

Knight of Zantarni
Thu May 18, 2017 12:34 am
Hello fellow Zantarnians!

A few days ago, I was updating my list over at the 2017 Reading List thread and I asked a question about a book series that someone else had on their list that I was interested in perhaps reading and after I have received my answer, I realized that maybe there are some people over here at Zan who are interested in starting a book club!

I had two people support my idea when I suggested it, so here it goes:

~Welcome to Zantarni's Book Club v.1~

For starters, I would like to try and gauge if anybody else would be interested in joining an activity like this here in the online universe, so please answer our first poll!I am sure it is the first of many, many to come. I will leave this poll up for a week from today to gather some numbers.

Secondly, if you are definitely interested, please post your suggestions as to what book you would recommend as the topic of our first book club read along.

As the recommendations come in, I will set up a new poll a week from now and then everybody can vote on what should be the topic of our next read along.

I also welcome any ideas as to how we can make this more interesting. I have done something like this when I was at uni but I was never officially a part of a book club, so if you have any ideas as to how we could improve something in the future, please post them freely.

Welcome to The Book Club!

Last edited by LillieRose on Mon May 29, 2017 4:23 am; edited 2 times in total
LillieRose

Knight of Zantarni
Thu May 18, 2017 12:36 am
~Suggestions for our 1st round~

1. Stolen Songbird by Danielle L. Jensen

2. The 5 Love Languages by Gary Chapman (non-fiction)

3. The Jane Austen Book Club by Karen Joy Fowler

4. Shakespeare

5. 4321 by Paul Auster

Last edited by LillieRose on Fri May 19, 2017 1:39 am; edited 2 times in total
Thu May 18, 2017 12:54 am
Was there a specific genre, or is everything fair game for suggestions?

Knight of Zantarni
Thu May 18, 2017 1:16 am
I might introduce genres later on, for now, anything is fair game. :3

Fiction or non-fiction.

Thu May 18, 2017 5:26 pm
I'm kind of at an impasse as to what I want to read next. I just devoured the 10th book in one of the series I'm reading. I just picked up Stolen Songbird by Danielle L. Jensen, but I haven't started it yet. I'm also waiting for The 5 Love Languages, as I've had numerous people suggest it to me. I'm not sure what people think about those, but it's all that's coming to my mind at the moment, but I'm open to just about anything.

Dedicated Citizen
Thu May 18, 2017 9:18 pm
I am partial to The Jane Austen Book Club. I saw the movie and then went straight out and got the book after the movie. I enjoyed the movie, but the book, as with the majority of books, is meatier. Yes Ninja
Rayven: *gets hit in the face with some underwear* Wow Bo sure likes to get naked! XD
7000/10000
Blazestorm

Queen of the Realm
Thu May 18, 2017 9:51 pm
Shakespeare. Yes
... and not just 'cuz I'm contemplating teaching it again in the Fall...

Jane Austen... amazingly, I don't think I've read anything of hers... and I've read a good deal of "the classics"...

Knight of Zantarni
Fri May 19, 2017 1:39 am
I have added your suggestions to the reserved post. Yes

Please make sure I got the authors of the novels right -
I googled them, so I might be wrong. XD

Blaze: Shakespeare could be good as a starter, I read most of his works at uni. Did you want to go with his tragedies, comedies or historical dramas or did you have a specific play in mind?

I would like to put forward Paul Auster's 4321. It's on my to read list. XD

Speaking of to read lists, are any of you guys on Goodreads?

Blazestorm

Queen of the Realm
Fri May 19, 2017 1:48 am
I'm thinking about teaching MacBeth this semester. I have already taught Hamlet and The Comedy of Errors (as one class - "The Long and the Short of it" XD), as well as an "Intro to Shakespeare" class. Shakespeare is certainly classic literature, and he's a whole lot of fun to read, but his works can intimidate people for some reason (or is this "intimidation" an American thing?). We might want to start with something other than Shakespeare to begin the book club...

What are people's favorite books?

Fri May 19, 2017 2:01 am
I have a Goodreads account. I also like the idea of Shakespeare. I think the only Shakespeare I've read is Hamlet, and his works have always been on my to-read list.

As far as my favorite books? That's a tough one. My favorite genre is fantasy, and I'm pretty open regarding that category. On that note, I wouldn't mind giving The Fellowship of the Ring another go. I attempted it many many years ago, and didn't get very far.

Knight of Zantarni
Fri May 19, 2017 2:45 am
LOL Blaze, I remember my huge gulp when I started uni, we had Medieval and Renaissance Drama as a course and Shakespeare was on the reading list. I kid you not, my eyes bulged when I saw that. XD

Fortunately, soon enough I realized that reading his works is not as difficult as I had imagined it to be.

And feeling intimidated by his works thinking that reading them will be a daunting task is not just an American thing. I think most people feel that way about Shakespear's plays. :3

Maybe we could prove them wrong? XD

Riley & people with Goodreads, you can add me if you would like to see what I have been reading. Granted, I was not very diligent with updating my list over the years. XD

Lillie@Goodreads

There are a few titles that come to mind when someone says favourite book but some of them are not in English. Embarassed

Let me think about it a bit.

bohemian

Dedicated Citizen
Sat May 20, 2017 6:25 am
Yes, that is the author's name. Yes

Also, we should read Austen. I did start one of them last year...or the year before, but I was traveling by train, and when I travel by train, I like to look out the window...even when it is dark outside. Laughing
Rayven: *gets hit in the face with some underwear* Wow Bo sure likes to get naked! XD
7000/10000
LillieRose

Knight of Zantarni
Mon May 29, 2017 4:25 am
Funnily enough, I can't read when I am travelling by bus or train. On a plane, no problem, just not on something with wheels. XD

Alright guys, the first poll is up with the suggestions, please vote. :3

bohemian

Dedicated Citizen
Mon May 29, 2017 8:52 am
I voted for the book club book due to the fact that I have that. Yes Laughing
7000/10000
LillieRose

Knight of Zantarni
Mon May 29, 2017 8:14 pm
I have voted for the same Bo because I found it intriguing. Also, I think I need a little break from sci-fi and fantasy which have overtaken my reading list. XD

I found it in the library, I have placed a hold on it, so hopefully I will be able to get it soon.

Also, I am not sure if you guys are keen on reading digital editions (epub or kindle) and if you are members of any libraries in your vicinity but if you are, there is a great option to get a hold of digital editions of books.

The library here in New Zealand is connected to this app called Overdrive. You install the app, make an account, then you can connect your library's digital contents to your device via your library card.

I am sure I make it sound very complicated but it's a lot easier than you think.

In the US, you can even connect your Kindle device with your Overdrive account - this option is not available in New Zealand yet though, I just read about it.

I just thought I should share this with you guys, just in case you are not familiar with it already. :3

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Back to Forum -> Entertainment All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2