Zan Urban Legends/Myths or just Legends/Myths
bohemian

Dedicated Citizen
Mon Jul 23, 2018 4:23 pm
So this topic has been swimming around my head for a while now (mostly 2-3am thoughts lol). I thought it would be interesting to have a thread that we could use to sort fact from fiction, or really legends and myths from urban legends and myths.

An example of an urban legend could be with Bernadette replacing "Bloody Mary" in the urban legend...with turnips used to make sure you summon the correct person.

An example of a legend could involve trying to figure out why Vayliya hates Alric. Perhaps once they were engaged to be married and something happened.

I just think it would be interesting to, I guess create a history for the NPCs we don't get to see very often.

Good idea? Ninja Embarassed

Edit: A link to the NPC/Staff post in the Zandex for ease of access. http://www.zantarni.com/post2792782.html#2792782
Rayven: *gets hit in the face with some underwear* Wow Bo sure likes to get naked! XD
8100/10000
Blazestorm

Queen of the Realm
Tue Oct 30, 2018 12:40 pm
We actually had entire conversations about Zantarni myths, legends, etc. a few years ago in the Staff Room, and it usually comes up again when the Knights and I are plotting and planning events and activities, of course Yes

Some of Zantarni's myths and legends include things like St. Yorick and his annual visitations to the Realm, Bernadette and her obsession with turnips (& her interesting, not-fully-disclosed relationships with other Edingtol characters like Alric), the visitations of the People of the Hoof (and other Magical Creatures)... and there's so much more that I'm just not thinking of right now. It's a good topic, Bo, and fodder for a lot of different ideas and discussion. I'd like to see what connections you guys draw and what other things you guys come up with!

Dedicated Citizen
Tue Oct 30, 2018 6:59 pm
That is in part why I made it Blaze. I thought it would be a good idea to have something like this, to help with creating background stories for events. Even ideas for events...maybe, it's almost 6am here and my sleep has been very broken.

But anyway, here are a few basics that I have been considering...

Vayliya was once engaged or perhaps even married to Alric at one point. But I think that Alric might be hiding a little secret from everyone. I don't know if he has a title that can only be passed down the family, like an Earldom or Dukedom, and he only became engaged/got married due to needing an heir. Personally, I think he might be gay and she found out the hard way and that is why she hates him, for stringing her along.

I wonder if Alice McEddington is a cook/chef. According to the Zandex, "She sometimes donates apples to people." I also kinda think she might be associated with Valentine's Day...I don't know, it was something I read about apples. I probably blame Dan Brown for that. >.>

Meldrick the Elder has no unknown myths or legends. That we know of. Laughing

Nydavos, if my theory about Alric is correct, could but more than just friends with Alric. It's a thought.

The Trickster has a way with words. He could probably sell me sewage infested swampland and I wouldn't get mad...straight away. I'd be too bamboozled by his words to be mad. Laughing

That's a start a least. It would be interesting to see the other Knight's opinions though, seeing as this has been a staff topic in the past. Yes
Rayven: *gets hit in the face with some underwear* Wow Bo sure likes to get naked! XD
8100/10000
Blazestorm

Queen of the Realm
Tue Oct 30, 2018 9:30 pm
More than seeing what the Knights and other Staff come up with, I'd really like to see what you guys (players) come up with! Yes You've already proposed a couple interesting ideas, Bo! Yes

Dedicated Citizen
Wed Oct 31, 2018 12:27 am
It's rumored that Amahel never misses her target, yet since she has resided in Zantarni, she has never fired a single arrow. No one knows why.

Potrin T. Tritus has a standing agreement with the Smuggler. He is permitted to study items of interest in the Smuggler's shop before they are sold. In exchange, he passes along information about the location of other items of interest that might be sold in his shop;.

Dedicated Citizen
Wed Oct 31, 2018 8:55 pm
No one knows exactly how old Bernadette is, or what she does for that matter. And that is the way she likes it. While the citizens of Zantarni are typically known for their hospitality and are kind and welcoming to everyone who enters their realm, it just takes one nasty piece of work to have that hospitality removed and not being welcomed anywhere in the realm. And Bernadette is the one person, while not into being very hospitable herself (unless it suits herself of course), you do not want to make mad. The locals know she is turnip mad, but she wouldn't even turn you into her favourite root vegetable, she would come up with something much, much worse.
8100/10000
Amurita

Knight of Zantarni
Fri Nov 02, 2018 1:22 am
Riley wrote:

Potrin T. Tritus has a standing agreement with the Smuggler. He is permitted to study items of interest in the Smuggler's shop before they are sold. In exchange, he passes along information about the location of other items of interest that might be sold in his shop;.

Oooh, that's an interesting rumor! I've always thought of Potrin as being a fairly nervous and innocent character, but he does seem to become another person when he speaks about topics he's interested in.

I think that could be an interesting side to Potrin, if that was true! Though I feel like he is the type to value his finds as well, so I'm not sure if he would be comfortable to give it to the smuggler... interesting thoughts though!
Sat Nov 03, 2018 4:33 am
Amurita wrote:

I think that could be an interesting side to Potrin, if that was true! Though I feel like he is the type to value his finds as well, so I'm not sure if he would be comfortable to give it to the smuggler... interesting thoughts though!

Perhaps he tips off the Smuggler to collect the more difficult/dangerous to acquire items?

Dedicated Citizen
Sat Nov 03, 2018 5:13 am
That's a good point. He can use the Smuggler's men to do the grunt work, and then he gets to study the items before deciding that they are "safe" for sale. Yes
8100/10000
Riley

Dedicated Citizen
Sat Nov 03, 2018 3:51 pm
That's kind of where my thoughts were going, but I was tired when I posted so it didn't quite get there. XD

Dedicated Citizen
Sat Nov 03, 2018 7:41 pm
Esmerla has been missing for some time. It is well known that she is the editor and publisher of the local "fish wrapper", The Scroll of Edingtol. Rumour has it, she is chasing down a story on one of the more colourful characters in Zantarni and they don't like the idea of someone digging around in their background. Either that or she is chasing down a story on a new species of animal, that is so bizarre, it must be a joke...right? Ninja

Also, it's not a widely known fact, but the thespian, the understudy and the delivery_man are in fact brothers. The delivery_man refused to join his brothers in the "family business" and struck out on his own with his delivery business. The thespian and the understudy as a result, refuse to acknowledge his existence and also refuse to acknowledge that they are even related, even though they work along side each other, or more likely, one being above the other. Three guesses who that is. Laughing
8100/10000
Scarz

Defender of the Realm
Sun Nov 04, 2018 8:02 am
bohemian wrote:
Meldrick the Elder has no unknown myths or legends. That we know of. Laughing

Lady bo. . .there are rumors about Meldrick and Bernadette, bad blood for some unknown reason. . .but it is never talked about except a long time ago in a thread that may or may not exist any more. . .

There are rumors that his blindness and the soul-keeper he wears around his neck are connected to his love, Lajata Natala. . .but that is a tale he has not yet written.

Dedicated Citizen
Sun Nov 04, 2018 6:30 pm
I admit there are things that we don't know about our illustrious resident story teller. I was more alluding to the fact that he is the most well known NPC that we have on here due to his stories.

Also, I think I recall something about Meldrick and Bernadette not being on good terms in the past. But I don't think that Meldrick is the type to hold a grudge all these years. And for the good of the land (or her own personal reasons), in a time of crisis, Bernadette tends to put the past behind her to work towards the common goal. Yes
8100/10000
Potrin T. Tritus

Knight of Zantarni
Zantarni NPC
Mon Nov 05, 2018 2:26 pm
Dr Tritus was browsing absentmindedly at a bookstall in the main square, when he thought he heard his own name mentioned. Startled out of his reverie, he glanced anxiously over his shoulder, but no-one was addressing him directly. Instead, there was a group of citizens, who probably hadn't even noticed his presence, engaged as they were in discussion. His brow furrowed as he listened more closely; did they really think he was a rogue, just because he was a friend of the Smuggler? What they were suggesting would be unethical for any respectable archaeologist and scholar, nor would his friend expect him to consider such an arrangement.

Tritus took half a step away from the bookstall, turning uncertainly towards the group, then hesitated; fumbling his glasses off the bridge of his nose, he polished invisible smears from their thick lenses with a large, pristine, white handkerchief, which he folded and returned to his pocket after a moment or two. Pushing his glasses firmly back into place, he nodded once, as if coming to a decision; then turned his attention back to the bookstall, where he completed his purchase, thanked the stall-holder and continued on his way out of the square. People would believe whatever they wanted, no matter how much he might protest, so there seemed little point in attempting to refute the rumour. Besides, he mused, the corners of his mouth twitching in wry amusement, while his old friend admittedly had something of a reputation hereabouts -- after all, he was an actual smuggler! -- it was really rather droll that he, strait-laced, law-abiding Tritus, might be thought a scoundrel! He made a mental note to relate this preposterous tale to the Smuggler over a small libation, next time their paths crossed.

bohemian

Dedicated Citizen
Mon Nov 05, 2018 5:07 pm
It's not that we are saying that you are a rogue Potrin, we're just musing on your background. I mean, if you think about it...the Smuggler does get in some interesting things every so often. I'm sure he would want to make sure that any items he sells are safe for his customers...and I am sure he wants repeat business. With such a close knit community, it only takes one bad review to ruin one's business in a community such as ours. Yes

But then again...maybe you are a rogue...a lovable rogue, just like your friend, the Smuggler. Wink
8100/10000
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Back to Forum -> Zantarni Discussion All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1