{ Zan Musings }
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 6241, 6242, 6243, 6244, 6245  Next
Blazestorm

Queen of the Realm
Fri Oct 09, 2020 4:15 pm
Yeah, I suppose so. It feels more like just simple mental exhaustion though, but that might have more to do with the fact that I've recently been getting to DuoLingo later in the afternoon than usual. It's ok. It'll all work out in the end. I don't know if I'll ever really become fluent -certainly not without doing other things to make sure that becomes the case- but it's an interesting exercise if nothing else. At least it is when I'm up for it, mentally.
Rayven

Dedicated Citizen
Fri Oct 09, 2020 6:52 pm
I think mental exhaustion comes with physical exhaustion, usually from pushing ourselves too hard. I'm sure you'll feel better soon, exhaustion comes and goes. Heart I would imagine it would be hard to be fluent without at least one other person to talk to. Do you have anybody you can converse with in Italian? Preferably someone who is already fluent.

Queen of the Realm
Fri Oct 09, 2020 10:48 pm
Sometimes it goes that way, yes. Other times, I think it can go the other way.

Yes, I can reconnect with the folks we met when we were in Rome and probably practice speaking with one of them. Or, there are other options available - web sites, etc. where you practice speaking with native speakers.
Rayven

Dedicated Citizen
Sat Oct 10, 2020 9:36 am
That's great that you have options. Very Happy You should make one of your kids learn it too. Or better yet, Zukyan. XD

Queen of the Realm
Sat Oct 10, 2020 1:14 pm
LOL! One of the kids has his hands full trying to learn enough Spanish to get through his class. Asking him to learn Italian just won't happen. The other one has no interest, and Zukyun might - he tried a little as we were preparing for Rome, but my ear is noticeably better than his and his interests lie elsewhere anyway.

I don't think I have any relatives left that come close to speaking it, and if I did, it would be the ****, Americanized version of the language...

Anyway, what's going on with you, Rayven? Are you planning on doing anything for Halloween, or taking advantage of the Fall festivities?
Rayven

Dedicated Citizen
Sat Oct 10, 2020 5:35 pm
We're supposed to go to a chili cook-off/hayride at my church on Halloween provided Covid is behaving itself fairly well. My mom usually wins the chili contest. XD I can't wait for the hayride. Last year the stars were so beautiful and I could even see the Milkyway. Very Happy That's about it. I wish I had a costume party to go to but this probably isn't the best year for that anyway. Our church is very small so we make allowances for it and most of the time people follow the 6-foot rule.

How about you, Queen Blaze? Any plans for Halloween?

Queen of the Realm
Sat Oct 10, 2020 6:29 pm
No, I don't have any real plans for Halloween, other than Zantarni's event. I'm seeing some decorations go up around the neighborhood and should probably dig some of ours out too, but have been so focused on trying to get things ready for the Halloween event here that crawling around in the attic trying to find Fall decorations is just not on my list. Otherwise, I'm trying to decide whether or not to buy candy or toys for any trick-or-treaters, but we have time for that, still. I feel a bit like an old fuddy-duddy - LOL! XD
Scarz

Defender of the Realm
Sat Oct 10, 2020 8:22 pm
This is like the first time in a long time that I will be off for Halloween, but we still do not even know if the Governor is even going to allow trick or treating *sighs* I guess he has to check with Newsom for permission?

Dedicated Citizen
Sat Oct 10, 2020 10:57 pm
Blazestorm wrote:
crawling around in the attic trying to find Fall decorations is just not on my list.

I feel a bit like an old fuddy-duddy - LOL! XD

I don't blame you. Crawling around in the attic doesn't sound like much fun. XD

No, you're not. Very Happy It's a little harder to get in the spirit of things this year.

We decorated but we won't have any trick-or-treaters. We never do since we're on a rural gravel road. We still need to get some hay so we can make "Mr. Johnson." Mom insists on putting him out every year. I don't know why, he's not even scary. Rolling Eyes He basically just looks like an older, uglier version of my dad since he wears Dad's clothes. XD We also want to get one of those blowup decorations. We have a couple for Christmas but we don't have any for Halloween yet.

Sir Scarz, I hope you'll be able to have some kind of fun since you have the night off. Very Happy

Queen of the Realm
Sun Oct 11, 2020 12:33 pm
lol Rayven. No, crawling around in the attic is not much fun at all, particularly since it's still quite hot here (and hotter in the attic) and the attic isn't finished and the garage (where the attic stairs go) is a complete mess. It would be far easier to just go and rebuy any decorations than to try finding the ones we currently have, but I hate the idea of that.

"Mr. Johnson" sounds like quite the amusing ritual! Have you never asked your parents about his origin or history?

I hope you get a chance to do something fun for Halloween, Scarz... or at least get some trick-or-treaters! Maybe at the very least you can watch Halloween movies or something with a friend or two?

Blazestorm

Queen of the Realm
Sun Oct 11, 2020 4:13 pm
I crawled around in the attic and put up Halloween decorations.
Rayven

Dedicated Citizen
Sun Oct 11, 2020 6:17 pm
Blazestorm wrote:
I crawled around in the attic and put up Halloween decorations.

You're a glutton for punishment. XD Heart It would be easier but not cheaper to buy more. Plus, you wouldn't have had your favorites unless they were selling them again this year.

No, I haven't asked her about "Mr. Johnson". I'll have to ask her but I think it's just some crazy idea Mom had. XD

What's your favorite holiday, Queen Blaze? Halloween and Christmas are a tie for me.

Queen of the Realm
Mon Oct 12, 2020 1:35 pm
We don't have that many decorations - just a few to feel like we're in the spirit of things.

My favorite holiday? - any where I'm not cooking everything all day long? XD LOL - I don't know at this point. They're all so different.

Halloween is just fun and slightly mischievous, with limited obligations, and all the Fall activities that usually surround it are so much fun (harder to get in the spirit of this though, where I'm living because it's still hot). Christmas is fun but it's a very different thing now that the kids are older. Easter is pretty much a non-holiday here and I normally end up cooking a lot. New Year can be fun, but we've been spending it basically trying to avoid being on the roads. Valentine's Day? Although I like the idea of having a day set aside dedicated to love and all, it can be a little tedious, and it has been changing over the last few years because a perceived sense of exclusivity for those in relationships vs/ those who are not (one of the reasons we celebrate a platonic sense of the holiday here). My birthday is really the only "holiday" I can claim as purely mine, do whatever I want (except for this year, thank you covid :/ ), and get away with it. Usually. XD Did I miss any holidays?
Rayven

Dedicated Citizen
Mon Oct 12, 2020 7:26 pm
Blazestorm wrote:
My favorite holiday? - any where I'm not cooking everything all day long? XD LOL

Did I miss any holidays?

Amen to that! XD I like to eat though so I deal with it. Laughing

Off the top of my head I can only think of Independence Day. XD

I agree with you about most of the holidays. There are pros and cons to each one. I just love holidays though. Life is so boring most of the time I feel like we need celebrations/feasts to break up the monotony.

Queen of the Realm
Mon Oct 12, 2020 8:31 pm
Independence Day is a nightmare because we have dogs who hate loud noises and Florida is in love with lighting things on fire and making things explode, apparently... Rolling Eyes

Personally, I tend to observe the equinoxes and solstices more than the calendar holidays, but that's in part because they're "quieter" and, in this day and age, more personal...

Yes, I think it's important to celebrate things together as families, friends, cultures! But, Zukyun and I tend to stay home, avoid the crowds and drunkeness... so it's not usually much of a celebration for us. :/
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Back to Forum -> Citizens' Halls All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 6241, 6242, 6243, 6244, 6245  Next
Page 6242 of 6245