Writer's Pub: Contests, Critique, and Fun!
Goto page 1, 2, 3 ... 5, 6, 7  Next
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Back to Forum -> Wordsmith's Nook [Nov.'19]
Tue May 22, 2012 5:06 am
Introduction

Welcome, all ye poets, ye storymakers, ye writers. This topic is for you!

This thread is for the purpose of discussing writing, as well as the fine art of critique in all its forms. We hope to encourage both new and experienced writers by providing a place to discuss our stories, to ask for and offer critique, and to exchange tips.

All members are welcome here. We only ask that you are polite to your fellow posters, no matter what their age or level of expertise. We seek to be a source of encouragement and inspiration. Those who wish to insult or attack fellow posters will be asked to leave, though we anticipate few troubles.

If you have suggestions for our thread -- things you think we have left out or which should be included, please feel free to inform us. Feedback and suggestions are always welcome.

Last edited by WildFae on Tue May 22, 2012 7:18 am; edited 2 times in total
Tue May 22, 2012 5:20 am
Hi there! as WildFae stated in the earlier, we're starting this Thread in order to encourage and help all of the writers out there in Zantarni!

This thread is for Writers to help Writers!

Not a Writer? Are you a Grammar Nazi? Then COME ON IN!

Even if you're not a Writer and just an avid reader we'd still appreciate your participation and help!

Need help creating an RP? Post your ideas here and we can all help you come up with an awesome back story, world, theme etc!

Need help figuring out an RP character? Post your ideas in here and we can help you flesh out the story!

Need help with a writing assignment for school? Post it here and we can all give you some good advice!

Writing a Book/Short Story that you hope to get published? Post your ideas and snippets of your story or the whole thing and we can help you out!

This thread is for help with anything and everything involving writing.

We encourage Critique, but don't be mean. And don't take offense if your story is critiqued.

Be Open Minded, be Nice, be Courteous, and if you happen to have a story that contains adult content or situations, please consult a Knight regarding posting it here on Zantarni first. WildFae and I are both over 18 and wouldn't mind reading it if it's too much for Zantarni forums which strive to stay PG-13!

Last edited by TurtleSensei on Tue May 29, 2012 4:57 am; edited 1 time in total
Tue May 22, 2012 5:33 am
Contests and Events

We will be holding themed writing and poetry contests. TurtleSensei and I will be both be acting as judges. If you are interested in participating either as a contestant or as a judge, please let us know! We'd appreciate a third judge as a tie-breaker. No writing experience or expertise necessary.

Rules
Contests will be held each month. If there are five contestants or more, the contests will conclude at the end of the month. If there are not five contestants, the contest will continue until there are five contestants.

Each Contest will revolve around a theme. A theme may be as short as a single-word prompt. Contestants should be sure that their story is actually about the theme, and that it is suitable for Zantarni.

At the end of the contests, judges will decide upon the winner for each month. Prizes will be awarded at this time.

Prizes

Both contests will offer a 1st, 2nd, and 3rd place prize.

1st Prize - 1 gem and OC or avatar art to be done by TurtleSensei
2nd Prize - 1 pet to be chosen from Turtle's Pet Adoption Center
3rd Prize - 10,000 ZG

Current Contests

• Writing Contest

Theme -- Faeries
Entries --

• Poetry Contest

Theme -- Turtles
Entries --

Past Contest Winners
--none yet!--
Tue May 22, 2012 6:54 am
Now to get you started, here are some places to help! Remember you don't have to be an experienced writer to be here!

Need to practice your skills? Or just love to write on random things? One Word offers you a new word to write about each day and gives you sixty seconds to write about it. As the site says, "Dont think. Just write.

Character Name Generators:

Town/Race/Spell/Name Generator

Town Name Generator

Creative Writing Prompts (to help you with ideas):

And here's a bit of a beginner's Writing Topic area: http://thewritesource.com/writing_topics/

And from the awesome Kahvikuppo: A generator to help out with RPGs! http://donjon.bin.sh/

Hopefully these will help you out if you're stuck on an idea or a name!

Last edited by TurtleSensei on Tue May 29, 2012 4:57 am; edited 2 times in total
Tue May 22, 2012 6:59 am
Writing Exchange

This post is reserved for the names of those who are interested in participating in a writing exchange. What this means is that interested writers agree to read and review other's writing in exchange for the reading and reviewing of their own work.

If you are interested please post the following:

Code:
[b]Name[/b]
[b]Type of Story[/b]
[b]Link To Story[/b]
[b]Type of Story you wish to Review[/b]
[b]Additional Information[/b]

Additional information may include things you are wishing to receive pointers on, as well as critique level. If you wish to receive a mostly positive critique, put that information here. If you are looking for a very thorough critique, please post that information here as well.

We will seek to match up writers with other writers. If you see someone listed here that sounds like a good match for you, please feel free to approach them!

List of Current Participants

--none yet!--
Tue May 22, 2012 8:27 am
We're officially open guys! Come on in and feel free to chat and try your writing skills! We'd love help advertising! And if you wanna make us banners we'd love to give you gold or items for them!
Tue May 22, 2012 1:25 pm
Nice thread, really great concept. Have you heard of oneword.com? You might want to link to that and have people try it on a daily basis.

Once you get a banner let me know, or remind me and I'll put a link to this in the Log-in Blog-in page.

Tue May 22, 2012 1:37 pm
Thanks Umaeril! and I'll go check out oneword now! And we're working on banners. Once Keres gets up hopefully she'll agree to make one!

**edit: that site is fun! The word was Quest and I wrote this:
She was on a quest, a journey to find her father. Hed disappeared when she was younger and shed always wondered what had happened to him. So off she went after laying her mother to rest after the sickness that had plagued her for years had finally claimed her.

Tue May 22, 2012 2:49 pm
That is really good! I did one too but I am pokey when I write.

It was the quest of quests, The holy grail of quests. The map was in her hands and she gazed at it with avid glee. Squinting she searched for the right spot, where the gold would be. Where was it?
Tue May 22, 2012 2:50 pm
Laughing I wonder if Quest is the first word for everyone? I got the same and wrote the following:

"It was an epic quest for Cheetoes. First the grocery store didn't have them, then the convenience store didn't have them. Arie was beginning to think that there was a vast, store-wide conspiracy that was in line with her mother's wishes that she cut down on junk food. Finally, desperate, she found herself at her best friend's home, searching for junk food. Which was nuts because her best friend's family was into that organic stuff. "

For some reason, teenagers are still my default narrators.

~~

Digging through old links for writer-type stuff --

http://www.sfwa.org/2009/08/fantasy-worldbuilding-questions/

The website that came from -- http://www.sfwa.org/ -- sfwa is science-fiction writers association. And they have a lot of good articles on writing in general.

Last edited by WildFae on Tue May 22, 2012 2:57 pm; edited 1 time in total
Tue May 22, 2012 2:54 pm
Gosh you got all that in 60 seconds??!! Wow.

Yes, it is one word for everyone each day.
Tue May 22, 2012 3:02 pm
Finishing the last sentence put me over. That is cool though! I want to play with that again! The idea of a new prompt every single day is quite exciting. I'm not sure much worth sharing will come of them, but it's a good way to practice just writing without so many reservations.

I'm kind of glad it stopped at 60 seconds. More than that and I'd have had to start trying to come up with a plot.

I need to do that more. And write more often. Some of the stories I have half-completed I keep wanting to go back to the beginning of and re-do.
Tue May 22, 2012 3:10 pm
Yours are good girls! And yeah it was totally fun! I may do it tomorrow after work too!
Wed May 23, 2012 12:56 pm
New word. Whoo! For some reason I'm on a modern kick. Will try to do a fantasy one next time.

The cursor blinked on the screen, taunting me with its inactivity.
"Well?" it seemed to ask, "aren't you going to write something?"
I stared back at it, attempting to meet its challenge, but no words came. Yet again, my muse was silent. Yet again I had no idea what to write.

Thu May 24, 2012 6:16 am
@WildFae: that was realy good actually!

The word was Lodge:

The lodge lay ahead of him, over the horizon. He was almost there. It was so close that he could taste it. He knew that the orb was there, and it would soon be his. Once he got all the power would be his. A light came on at the lodge, and that light instilled him with fear.

Goto page 1, 2, 3 ... 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 1 of 7