Writer's Pub: Contests, Critique, and Fun!
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... , 5, 6, 7  Next
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Back to Forum -> Wordsmith's Nook [Nov.'19]
Mon Jun 25, 2012 3:00 pm
Ivy -- That sounds really cool. Would you write it about the site itself, or about the world as seen by a character in it?

~

Achaia -- Flash fiction would be a good challenge! I like that idea. Though I'm never quite sure on how short flash fiction really needs to be.

If you're interested in running a character contest ... we could certainly link to it here. It'd be cool to have a centralized place that just links to all the different writer-type things going on around the site.

~~

I really need to get back to work on a short story. My main character is a detective investigating a disappearing corpse. It's intended to be short, more than a little dark, and ... well ... if I could write mystery better it'd be a bit of a puzzle. I'm afraid that's just not one of my skills though. So it'll be fairly straightforward.

I need to learn more about the Russian police. I think I have my backstory all sorted out for this one. But I don't know much Russian and I don't know if there's a Russian equivalent to the sort of detective/investigator character I want to have in. I may be able to fudge my way around that. But there are details that I am just not sure about, and I am so picky on details.
Mon Jun 25, 2012 3:12 pm
I'd say a thousand words max, but it's all up to the people who want to judge. How much they want to read and all that xD

Hmm, I don't like to run a contest myself. Too much hassle to keep it alive and get people to show some interest in it. Did that, all died, failed miserably.

So I propose to hold the contest here with your permission. It doesn't have to be about my characters. It can be all about Zanny Yes

Mon Jun 25, 2012 4:13 pm
Laughing

Turtle and I were mostly worried about paying for the prizes we had set up.

I think adding another contest would be awesome. I wish Turtle was around ... she's off for a while and it's half her thread ... but I can't see her coming back anytime soon. And I think she'd approve of your idea.

If you can figure out how you want to word it, I'd be happy to edit your contest and the rules you want to use to run it by into our contests post. And help you judge it if you should need another judge. If no, no worries!
Mon Jun 25, 2012 6:24 pm
Oooh, prizes for the flash fiction contest won't be a problem. I've got a good amount of zg and items to spend...and I can throw in some art or writings if need be.

I think she'll approve too. She's awesome like that ♥

Hmm, let me think about it for a bit. I'll post my ideas in this thread and you (and Turtlesensei) can see if it's ok to put up.
Also you two being co-judges would be great Yes

Wed Jun 27, 2012 3:01 pm
Take your time! Plenty of it to spare!
Mon Jul 02, 2012 5:57 pm
My oneword for today -

Wheels were turning, things were finally in motion. Their plans were starting to finally work out for them, and their project was nearing completion. It was art unlike anyone had ever seen before and they were so ready to unveil it to the world...

Wed Jul 04, 2012 3:02 pm
Embarassed With kittens in the house, I haven't had so much time to write, even oneword. Hoping things calm down soon.

I am checking in here though!
Wed Jul 04, 2012 3:07 pm
I understand that, getting Mixy has made it hard for me to post as much as I'd like... And its very hard to get one whole minute to do onewords...
Wed Jul 04, 2012 3:25 pm
These ones are still quite shy. I am actually working on getting them used to people and hopefully sweet and playful in the future. If they had their way they'd hide in the corner of their cage all day with momma and I'd never see them.

Because I want them to go to homes, I have to challenge them to become more social.

Dedicated Citizen
Wed Jul 04, 2012 6:07 pm
Reminds me of Muse Misuse :3

oneword: railroad
The wind blew leaves across the railroad tracks. It had been months since any train had come through the town. Ever since the accident that no one could explain. The children had even stopped playing near the railroad tracks.
Tue Jul 24, 2012 8:19 am
Muse Misuse?

Dedicated Citizen
Fri Jul 27, 2012 12:13 am
Muse Misuse was a topic in which a word would be given and you were to write a small piece of prose about said word. Sadly, it died a long long time ago and I couldn't find the thread for the life of me. I know there was a thread called Prompt Me which was created in the spirit of Muse Misuse. I kind of miss that thread :3
Fri Jul 27, 2012 12:24 am
My one word for today -

Sitting on the floor with his back against the wall, he clutched two envelopes in his hands... One was his bank statement, the other was a letter... His one room apartment was nearly empty because he resorted to selling everything after losing his job so that he could keep his wife and son in a home... He had so little hope moments ago after reading the bank statement, but upon reading the letter in the other envelope, he was moved to tears... Inside was a check and a letter from a man that he stopped to help on the side of the road, needing water and a ride to the next town... He kept his promise in a way he could have never imagined, he was now holding a check for a million dollars...

Fri Jul 27, 2012 6:04 am
Hi! Short time reader, first time poster (in this thread), lol. I went through what everyone has posted so far, but obviously there's way too much to respond to in one post, but at least I feel like I'm in the loop.

I did the event contest today and I was so pleased with actually having a tangible result that I decided to challenge myself to writing short pieces often rather than long pieces -- *ahem* -- never...

So, anyway, I'll do the one word, and I plan on doing a turtle poem and a fairy story, since there's only one entry for each so far.

OneWord -- "statement":
She said it like it was fact, but it took several moments for Stan to process it. "Gremlins," he said, finally. "Right."

Angel snorted. "I knew you wouldn't believe me." She shook her head. "That's fine. I know who will."

"Who?" he demanded. "the National Enquirer?"

And what I didn't get to finish:

Angel looked smug. "Naturally."

Not great, but I like that it got the creativity flowing. Very Happy

I look forward to talking to all of you!

Siggeh by Manda of HeartsEnchanted.com
Fri Jul 27, 2012 5:13 pm
Yay, more people in here... :3

Mine obviously went over the 1 minute limit, I just really wanted to finish it so I did...
Yes
Page 6 of 7