0%  [ 0 ]
Define "cook"
50%
 50%  [ 2 ]
Total Votes : 4

bohemian

Dedicated Citizen
Wed May 20, 2020 7:17 pm
So I've been a little bit on the silent side of things lately, mostly because I have been slowly rearranging my room and getting things set up just so. But in the meantime, I have also been doing a little bit of baking and cooking (I guess it's all technically baking coz it goes into the oven to cook lol) in the meantime. I baked a cake from scratch and just happened to make it on Mother's Day while the whole house was empty (I seriously got a LOT of stuff done while the house was empty lol) and Bo being Bo, obviously didn't follow the recipe that Bo has made a LOT of times in the past...and also didn't weigh or measure anything...but the cake turned out fine! I screwed up the icing too, but it still tasted good lol.

I also made sausage rolls from scratch with a recipe tweaked to remove 2 things that I can't eat AND THEY WERE AMAZINGLY DELICIOUS AND I ated them all. Embarassed I also made an awesome, slightly sweet (which I think may have been due to the tomato sauce), meatloaf. Again, tweaked very slightly and would be tweaked again if I make it next time because mum can't really tolerate the mild heat that whole grain mustard seeds give out, but it was also AMAZINGLY DELICIOUS and put me in a food coma. I also took pictures of the stages of my meatloaf experience. First picture was of deconstructed meatloaf, then the formed meatloaf and then the mouthwatering finished meatloaf.

I also made another cake from scratch again yesterday and was all willy nilly about it. I swear I shouldn't be allowed in the kitchen, but hey, at least my food usually tastes good. Laughing

So what have you been making lately? Feel free to share recipes of good food or easy to make goodies or just rant about cooking failures that make you wanna give up, but you try it out again and it works out. Basically home cooking chitchat.
Riley: Bo, the Goat Whisperer. XD
Blaze: Bo, you're just chaotic... Razz Heart
9520/10000
Rayven

Dedicated Citizen
Wed May 20, 2020 11:15 pm
We're dieting so we haven't cooked that many yummy things lately. Sad Mom did make some banana bread with a recipe she hadn't used before and it turned out really good. Very Happy She's going to make it again this weekend.

Mom usually cooks dinner but I made my chili last week. It didn't turn out as good because people are buying up all the beans I like. Grr It got ate though. *shrugs*

My mom made the best pineapple upside-down cake when I was a kid but she didn't make it for years and forgot how to make it. We found a recipe but we can't get it to turn out right. :/ It tasted good but it looks awful. XD

Speaking of making a cake from scratch, I did that once. But only because I forgot to the the boxed kind. LOL It turned out fine, nothing to brag about. The Boston Cream Pie I made the same day did not turn out well at all though. From what I hear it tasted fine but I wouldn't know. I refused to taste it because it looked like a pile of dung. XD

Queen of the Realm
Sat May 23, 2020 6:46 pm
I usually cook a lot for the family and normally, I don't mind doing it. I'm not much of a baker, though - never have been.

I haven't been doing much cooking the last week or so, though, since our kitchen is half-destroyed (renovation).
Rayven

Dedicated Citizen
Sun May 24, 2020 11:47 am
Blazestorm wrote:
I haven't been doing much cooking the last week or so, though, since our kitchen is half-destroyed (renovation).

That sounds like a nightmare. The renovation part, not the lack of cooking. I hate to cook. XD

Queen of the Realm
Sun May 24, 2020 12:59 pm
Well, it's certainly interesting... especially since it's only half the kitchen right now and the other side will need to be done as well. As far as cooking goes, I'd prefer to be able to cook - living off of sandwiches etc. for several days has not done good things to my tummy Sad I'm going to find a way to make some chicken soup and a salad, I think, today...

Rayven, is your whole family dieting? What kind of diet are you doing?

... and Bo, it's good to have you back. Congrats on your forays in to the kitchen! Yes

Rayven

Dedicated Citizen
Sun May 24, 2020 10:38 pm
Blazestorm wrote:
I'd prefer to be able to cook - living off of sandwiches etc. for several days has not done good things to my tummy Sad

Rayven, is your whole family dieting? What kind of diet are you doing?

I can understand that. Sandwiches would get boring too.

Everyone but my brother. He says dieting is stupid. XD

No specific diet, we're just counting calories. It's a pain counting the calories, but it works. Speaking of salads, we need to eat more of those. XD

Dedicated Citizen
Mon May 25, 2020 7:40 pm
Lol thanks Blaze. I'm still sorting out my room, so not using my laptop which means less posting here.

Dad requested rice pudding last night in not so many words lol. I asked him when he wanted it and he said Monday night? I was like, Monday next week? No problems. I knew he meant yesterday because it was Monday. So I guess tonight I will attempt to make rice pudding for the first time ever. It's never appealed to me when I have seen it in the shops, so I guess I will find out just how hard it is to make lol. The recipe says that competent cooks can make it. I can barely follow a recipe, so how hard can it be? Laughing XD
Riley: Bo, the Goat Whisperer. XD
Blaze: Bo, you're just chaotic... Razz Heart
9520/10000
Rayven

Dedicated Citizen
Mon May 25, 2020 11:00 pm
I wish you the best of luck, Bo. XD
Tue May 26, 2020 5:53 pm
I miss cooking. My kitchen is kind of a disaster at the moment, but hopefully will be back in working order soon.
Partly it's because I'm a lazy slob who hates cleaning, so...the dishes tend to pile up too much, but mostly it's because my kitchen sink's p-trap pipe burst and my landlords tend to not prioritize anything (it took them nearly 3 years before they finally "fixed" a leak in my ceiling), I'm gonne be bad and just fix it myself. Just waiting on my friend who actually has the pipe I need to get it to me. Then I can work of getting my mountain of dishes all caught up properly.
Until then, it's food that are easy to just pop in the oven like frozen burritos. Or cereal. Lots of cereal. XP

But I swear, one of the first things I'm making once I have a kitchen again is gonna be a loaf of onion dill bread!
Tue May 26, 2020 6:06 pm
I added an egg to my ramen. I am chef now.

Dedicated Citizen
Wed May 27, 2020 11:18 am
Kaderin-I hope that you can get that fixed soon. It sounds like a nightmare. Sad

Ratwyrm-XD That's my idea of cooking. I can cook but I don't like to. Embarassed My lack of ambition has greatly affected how many dishes I know how to cook. :/
Wed May 27, 2020 3:44 pm
If my friend doesn't forget for weeks on end like usual, it should be fixed this weekend.
The next task will be replacing my toilet's handle. Or possibly replacing my shower/tub faucet because the diverter valve that makes the water got up to the shower head is broken and I can't lift/pull it up anymore.

Just a lot of minor repairs really. But the kitchen sink is top priority. XD

Dedicated Citizen
Wed May 27, 2020 10:59 pm
I know all about minor repairs. XD They tend to add up, unfortunately. My dad never really fixes anything. He just makes it useable for a while. Rolling Eyes
Wed May 27, 2020 11:50 pm
I've already had to replace the ball **** in the toilet as well (like 5-ish years ago I think). Thankfully I think most of my minor repairs are gonna fall in the $10 or less category. Mainly because I already have 90% of all the tools I could ever possibly need and the parts themselves are relatively small/common parts. I hope. The tub faucet is the only potential problem (depending on the type I need and possibly needing to buy caulk to reseal it in the wall section once it's swapped out, but we'll see.

Dedicated Citizen
Thu May 28, 2020 10:52 am
That's not bad and you seem confident about handling all of it. Very Happy I'm not very handy so I'd be pretty nervous about it. XD

My mom bought some cookies yesterday and I couldn't stay out of them even though I'm dieting. Grr I told her she can't buy that until our cheat day. XD I normally don't have a problem with willpower but these were too good.
Page 1 of 3