2021 Reading Lists
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page Jump:
bohemian

Dedicated Citizen
Fri Jan 01, 2021 4:01 pm
And Go!

*retreats back into the shadows*

Edit: Perhaps to help make this thread more interactive, we could discuss...*tilts her head as she eyes the word she could swear is spelled incorrectly*...whatever book we are currently reading that we find interesting and might think that someone else might be interested in reading? *squints at the word discuss one more time before shrugging and wandering off again*
Riley: Bo, the Goat Whisperer. XD
Blaze: Bo, you're just chaotic... Razz Heart
9650/10000

Last edited by bohemian on Sun Jan 03, 2021 7:50 pm; edited 1 time in total
Blazestorm

Queen of the Realm
Fri Jan 01, 2021 5:14 pm
*secures post*

Goal, books read:
1- The Night Raven, Sarah Painter - 244pgs, completed Jan. 3
2- The Silver Mark, Sarah Painter - 296pgs, completed Jan. 7
3- The Fox's Curse, Sarah Painter - 304pgs, completed Jan. 8
4- The Pearl King, Sarah Painter - 358pgs, completed Jan.10
5- The Copper's Heart, Sarah Painter - 242pgs, completed Jan.11
6-
7-
8-
9-
10-
11-
12-
13-
14-
15-
16-
17-
18-
19-
20-
21-
22-
23-
24-
25-
26-
27-
28-
29-
30-
31-
32-
33-
34-
35-
36-
37-
38-
39-
40-
41-
42-
43-
44-
45-
46-
47-
48-
49-
50-

Last edited by Blazestorm on Tue Jan 12, 2021 5:20 pm; edited 3 times in total
Riley

Dedicated Citizen
Fri Jan 01, 2021 8:25 pm
Claims post while at work XD

Goal
1-
2-
3-
4-
5-
6-
7-
8-
9-
10-
11-
12-
13-
14-
15-
16-
17-
18-
19-
20-
21-
22-
23-
24-
25-
26-
27-
28-
29-
30-

Past Goals
bohemian

Dedicated Citizen
Sun Jan 03, 2021 7:51 pm
Bo's claim.

9650/10000
Sun Jan 03, 2021 11:19 pm
Claiming this little nook for myself.

Goal
1. Kafka on the Shore - Haruki Murakami (page 222/467)

Last edited by Kaderin Triste on Sat Jan 09, 2021 11:33 pm; edited 1 time in total
Blazestorm

Queen of the Realm
Mon Jan 04, 2021 6:09 pm
First book completed: The Night Raven by Sarah Painter.

It's the first in a 5 book series. I bought the second book but am not sure how far in to the series I'll end up going. This book was fine - it's a cute little intro type story that's obviously leading in to the rest of the series, but everything seems just a little "flat" to me. It could use more depth, IMO.

The story isn't particularly original
    [SPOILER = Basically a young PI goes home to London, and starts getting involved in the (pseudo Mafia type, but magical) Family that she knows little about since she was raised outside of it. There's a love interest - the local Cop, and at the end of the book, she has decided to stick around and open her own PI business. And, of course, it looks like she's probably one of the stronger members of her family, despite believing (or being told) otherwise...
    /END SPOILER]

That said, if you want a light read, it's ok for that. We'll see what happens in book 2. It has potential, just not a lot of ooomph so far.
Riley

Dedicated Citizen
Mon Jan 04, 2021 7:14 pm
I feel like I've been reading a lot of those types of books. I usually read the first one, but I don't have any interest in continuing the series.

I just started a book that looks and feels more promising.
Blazestorm

Queen of the Realm
Mon Jan 04, 2021 7:26 pm
Yes, me too. At least this one wasn't riddled with typos and editing errors or oversights (other than the minor adjustments to accommodate "English English").
Riley

Dedicated Citizen
Mon Jan 04, 2021 7:36 pm
That can be so distracting. After the third correction I submitted for the last kindle book I read, I gave up and just finished the book because it was a quick read.
bohemian

Dedicated Citizen
Mon Jan 04, 2021 7:41 pm
Do you guys ever start a book and just not finish it? I've done that with a few books, however there is only one that I have read that I should have just noped and tossed it, but I forced myself to finish it because it had too much hype. Sigh It was Twilight. I gave it and the second book in the series away.
9650/10000
Riley

Dedicated Citizen
Mon Jan 04, 2021 7:44 pm
There's been a few that I've started and stopped, knowing I would never finish it. I try to give the book at least three to five chapters before I make that decision.
bohemian

Dedicated Citizen
Mon Jan 04, 2021 7:50 pm
Yeah, I try to give most books a chance, however some are just like glass shards to the eyeballs, not pleasant. Although, my mum tends to go to the back of the book to get the answer early and then gets on to the next book. I hate it when she does that. XD
9650/10000
Blazestorm

Queen of the Realm
Mon Jan 04, 2021 8:43 pm
I'll do that (not finish a book) periodically, but rarely. I did it with A Hundred Years of Solitude by Gabriel Garcia Marquez and 12 Rules for Life by Jordan Peterson, and a couple others recently. The first one was tedious, confusing, and I got tired of the really bizarre characters and weird relationships between them. The second one (12 Rules) was just condescending BS that I had no interest in subjecting myself to any further.

A more recent book (just a couple months ago) that I just stopped reading was The Book of Unwinding by JD Horn. This one was written well in terms of the descriptions and characters within each chapter, but the book jumped all over the place and didn't seem to be making a point or drawing connections between the characters or action from each chapter. It made me feel like I was drunk or something every time I picked it up... like I was constantly missing something that connected all the pieces together.

I'm at the point where if I'm not enjoying the book for these kinds of reasons^^ or too many typos and editing flaws, I "toss" it. But I do try to read at least the first third of a book before making that determination.
Blazestorm

Queen of the Realm
Sat Jan 09, 2021 1:50 pm
A couple more books completed:
The Silver Mark, by Sarah Painter
The Fox's Curse, by Sarah Painter

The next two in the series have been read and are completed. I'm partially through the fourth book in the series at this point too. It's amazing how much reading you can do when you're busy not sleeping Rolling Eyes

I've decided to finish the series, partly because although as I mentioned above, it's a little on the shallow and predictable side of things in some ways, it is an easy but enjoyable read and the story is decent, although there are (I'm seeing now) a few rough patches/segues between thoughts - places where a single sentence would tie things together just a little better... like "we walked to the car" between whatever was going on before (mostly unrelated scene) and "he opened the side door and I got in", but it's hard to tell if this is just British English assuming certain things or an oversight in the writing or editing (although I don't recall running in to this type of thing before, despite reading a number of books by English authors).

I'm halfway through the 4th book of the series right now. I'll probably finish it today/tonight/overnight. Rolling Eyes

Sat Jan 09, 2021 11:32 pm
bohemian wrote:
Do you guys ever start a book and just not finish it?

Not often, but sometimes, yes. I keep making an effort to read more "classics", but they're often just so dry compared to the books I read growing up that it's hard for me to really get into them, so those I tend to give up on really easily.

Or one I stopped reading because the author was just too "high and mighty" opinionated. Which would have been fine had the book not been a book where being more objective would have served their cause better. I struggled through half the book (I think it's only maybe 200 pages) before just throwing up my hands and calling it quits.

Also adding my WiP book to my list. Should have it finished this week.
Page Jump:
Page 1 of 2