Racism is a White problem
Goto page 1, 2, 3 ... 3, 4, 5  Next
Page Jump:
Tue Nov 02, 2010 5:13 am
So I'm sitting here reading an article for my sexual minorities class (aka intro to gay and lesbian studies) that deals with Gay Racism. (which I find it REALLY sad to think that among a group that gets discriminated against for the stupidest reasons there would be racism but thats reality I guess)

And a line popped up that bothered me. I mean REALLY bothered me.

"Since racism and discrimination are functions of White attitudes and White actions it is White people who have to deal with it."

I'd like to call BS on this statement.

About two years ago when I was living on campus at a collage I was the victim of racism. As a white woman.

I was walking back to my apartment at night when I saw a man walking towards me. I crossed the lane so I did not have to walk past him. He stopped and accused me of crossing because he was black. I crossed because he was a man and my mother basically taught me to be sexist and to view every man in a dark ally as a rapist. But HE assumed I avoided him because he was black. HE made that assumption because I was white.

Notice something? HE (a black man) made an assumption on my attitude souly on the basis of my race (a white woman). The very definition of racism. Thus, racism is NOT a white issue but a social one.

Thoughts? Agree? Disagree? Stories to share?

Tue Nov 02, 2010 5:53 am
Don't worry at night I freak about males as well

I do believe think that everyone is racist (I think racist is just viewing someone different from yourself in a way that can't not be back up from their character and can be good or bad and is in no way something only one race has to deal with) and look for it in everyday actions. As a cashier some people walk up and or very friendly and other just stand and hold up the line while talking on their phone while "pretending" to decide, but their friend did get the new hair cut Rolling Eyes
But when they get worse service it has to be their gender or the race. I believe people use it as a 'oh she's a racist I'm not just a jerk.' People can even use it as a way to not look bad by using it on their own race. In HS we had... 'oreos', they were black that acted white. Acting white meant proper English and good grades. They made it so you couldn't be black and successful at the same time which is a huge lie but if you think that way failing mean your a good black person. That is a horrible confusing view since then if you wish to change how people view your race by showing them you can succeed your race turns on you and says you were not a part of them. x.x

I do not enjoy being called a cracker or whatever the name for white people is now but it does happen but if it is toward white people they don't seem to notice it is also racism. And I would say sexist names for girls but I may have to put **** for most of them. We have to take being talked to this way but crossing the street means we are racist? People need to look at everything before they make a judgement like that.

While walking at night if I do not feel comfortable I will cross the street and a white, yellow, red, black man can all do they same things so why would that even come into consideration into why you crossed.
Well now I'm just ranting since he should have seen he put in a uncomfortable situation based on gender not race ><

Ok I should stop rambling before I get myself into trouble ><

I would just love to see a world where people view the person based on actions on a per person level
Tue Nov 02, 2010 6:04 am
Racism affects everyone.

It is a problem of society.

It is really ignorant to assume that only white people are racist.

I even seen people (of all races) try to use the "racism/race card" to their advantage..which is really upsetting.

Don't people ever think that maybe, they just don't like you because of you?

Sometimes people try to make an issue out of a remark and say it's racist...when it's really not to call attention to themselves.

And I've seen people of other races say racist or something along those lines about their own race.

They assume that their race is only limited to one form of social behaviour/way of interacting/attitude and claim they are being another race by not following what they assume is a key pattern of their race.

An example would be what Yoari said about the black people "acting" white.

Why is it wrong for a black man or woman to become an intellectual?

Why does that single them out as "acting white".

Tue Nov 02, 2010 5:48 pm
Oh I HATE when Oreo is used like that. I have a black friend that we call an Oreo because he purposely acts like a bunch white stereotype. I dont know if he intends it but a lot of people who see him start to question stereotypes because of him. "If hes black shouldn't he be wearing a backwards hat and making bad rap videos not playing video games like Halo and WoW (its assumed that all Halo and WoW players are middle aged pasty face white men with bad skin). Shouldn't he be obsessing over Jlo's butt instead of watching Japanese girls anime (otaku, another of his nicknames, is used to describe younger white boys who fantasize over Japanese girls anime like Sailor Moon and stuff)." More specific to the area "Black guys play pool. White guys play video games." Ree was so bad at pool it wasn't even funny....ok... thats not true. It so was. :3

But thats the thing, he LOOKED like a Black stereotype and publicly ACTED like a white one. And it made people think and broke down walls. And that was nice.

And the whole if you dislike someone of color your racist thing is STUPID in every way.

I HATE Obama's wife. HATE her with the passion of the undying sun. Any time I say this the first, the VERY first thing anyone asks is "because shes black?" Without thinking people ask this. Even if they KNOW I'm not racist they still ask that. I hate her because shes a moron. (I HIGHLY contest her accusations that kids are overweight because there lazy and schools choose to serve too much junk food. I was overweight because people made fun of me when every time I tried to work out) Shes not a moron because shes black. Shes a moron because she is so narrow minded with her activism its disgusting. It has nothing to do with her blackness and everything to do with being sheltered from the rest of the world.

Knight of Zantarni
Tue Nov 02, 2010 6:29 pm
Saying that racism and discriminations are a function of white attitudes and actions is definitely a prejudicial remark on it's own. I was watching this one comedian and he said it best how this white man was so afraid to describe another man's colour he was saying that he didn't notice if he was black or not, especially when in police descriptions they say the colour of the suspect in their description.

Also the comedian was talking about even with people of the same race, if they find that someone comes from a different part of the country they still discriminate, which is very true.

Like Yoari, I have to agree that everyone discriminates at least a little, when consciously or not. I mean, a lot of stuff you don't learn first hand so being prejudice is bound to happen.

Oh and btw, I just wanted to say, 'Otaku' doesn't describe young males only, it's a term to describe nerds (but really, it's more about obsessive hobbyists) in Japan. Though it's usually someone who's obsessed with anime.
Tue Nov 02, 2010 6:54 pm
Amurita wrote:

Oh and btw, I just wanted to say, 'Otaku' doesn't describe young males only, it's a term to describe nerds (but really, it's more about obsessive hobbyists) in Japan. Though it's usually someone who's obsessed with anime.

In japan, ya. But all the conventions I've gone to use it to describe, basically a nerd in nerd society (at least here in the midwest) thus the above description. But just goes to show the fluidity of language. One group adapts words in one way and others use them in other ways.

Knight of Zantarni
Tue Nov 02, 2010 7:08 pm
Otaku = nerd is basically the definition for me too (as an anime watcher myself) but I just wanted to say how it's usually interpreted by myself since you put it a bit differently when describing it for your friend.
Tue Nov 02, 2010 7:14 pm
I cannot believe a textbook would actually print something like that. Seriously? White people are racist? Correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't that statement itself racist?

Everyone has their own prejudices built up by various experiences in their lifetime. For example, I have been mugged, followed to my car at night, and sexually harassed by black men in the past. Does that make me, as a single white female, slightly wary of being alone with one? Yes. Is it because I'm a raging racist? No, it's because past experiences have made me cautious, and I am not ashamed to admit it. Had these incidents involved white or Hispanic men, my reaction would be exactly the same.

My feelings toward racism can be pretty much summed up here.
Tue Nov 02, 2010 7:16 pm
Racism is weird these days. For some reason people of the same race can call each other by a generally racist term but as soon as a white person or someone else says it, it's offensive.

It's like, if you're offended by it, why is it okay or you to use that term? >_>
Tue Nov 02, 2010 7:23 pm
Kiolentia wrote:
Racism is weird these days. For some reason people of the same race can call each other by a generally racist term but as soon as a white person or someone else says it, it's offensive.

It's like, if you're offended by it, why is it okay or you to use that term? >_>

I think part of that is to remove some of the stigma associated with the word. By making it "yours" you turn it from a derogatory word to just another slang - but only inside the particular race.
Tue Nov 02, 2010 7:25 pm
Shika Hime Eira wrote:
I cannot believe a textbook would actually print something like that. Seriously? White people are racist? Correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't that statement itself racist?

Everyone has their own prejudices built up by various experiences in their lifetime. For example, I have been mugged, followed to my car at night, and sexually harassed by black men in the past. Does that make me, as a single white female, slightly wary of being alone with one? Yes. Is it because I'm a raging racist? No, it's because past experiences have made me cautious, and I am not ashamed to admit it. Had these incidents involved white or Hispanic men, my reaction would be exactly the same.

My feelings toward racism can be pretty much summed up here.

It was an article and not a text book (cuse there are no good intro go gay and lesbian studies text books) but its sill being used in an educational environment so ya, it should NOT make statements like that. And I LOVE the avenue Q reference. I wanted to post it SOOOO bad but just didn't. XD

Kiolentia: I KNOW! A few years ago a black girl in my class said she used the word "****" cuse it was "taking back the word" which I dont understand. The idea of taking back a word means it had a positive connotation to begin with and it was turned bad. Like "Queer" was not always an offensive word so it makes sens to take it back. The swastika use to be a symbol for peace that was perverted so the movement to take that back makes sense. But "****" has always been a negative word for black people. "Negro" and "niger" (one r) were positive but the word "****" or "******" has never been a positive word.

Tue Nov 02, 2010 10:56 pm
Oh I agree that racism is not just a 'white' issue. I think one person that personifies this is Oprah. I understand that she is trying to be a strong black woman but I have noticed on her show that she almost looks down on her white guests and does not treat them with the same affection as she does to her black guests. The only white guests she is all over is major celebrities like Maria Shriver. That is just my opinion but you know it really does stick out when you really watch how she treats her guests.

Personally I am not racist. There is scum bag white people, black people, Asian people and whatever other race there is, just as there are good people. Fact is, underneath it all we are the same, just our pigments are different.

My favorite quote/story I have ever read is....

Quote:
A white man said, "Colored people are not allowed here." The black man turned around and stood up. He then said: "Listen sir....when I was born I was BLACK " "When I grew up I was BLACK, " "When I'm sick I'm BLACK, " "When I go in the sun I'm BLACK, " "When I'm cold I'm BLACK, " "When I die I'll be BLACK." "But you sir." "When you are born you're PINK". "When you grow up you're WHITE, " "When you're sick, you're GREEN, " "When you go in the sun you turn RED, " "When you're cold you turn BLUE, " "And when you die you turn PURPLE. "And you have the nerve to call me colored?" The black man then sat back down and the white man walked away..

There's that smirk... dang that is hot!
Wed Nov 03, 2010 7:06 pm
Lady Chaos wrote:

Quote:
A white man said, "Colored people are not allowed here." The black man turned around and stood up. He then said: "Listen sir....when I was born I was BLACK " "When I grew up I was BLACK, " "When I'm sick I'm BLACK, " "When I go in the sun I'm BLACK, " "When I'm cold I'm BLACK, " "When I die I'll be BLACK." "But you sir." "When you are born you're PINK". "When you grow up you're WHITE, " "When you're sick, you're GREEN, " "When you go in the sun you turn RED, " "When you're cold you turn BLUE, " "And when you die you turn PURPLE. "And you have the nerve to call me colored?" The black man then sat back down and the white man walked away..

That is an AWESOME story!

My teacher told us about a fellow teacher whos on sabbatical in the Bahamas. She sent him recent pictures (she had been gone for almost 6 months then) and he says shes almost as dark as some of the black girls in our class.

I remember thinking if a "white" woman could turn "black" in 6 months from tanning then WTF is with all the issues?

Fri Nov 05, 2010 5:25 pm
I think the article leaned towards the idea that the Majority race cannot be... ummm well hated or something. That is the gist I get from most social workers and people who work in that field.

I agree with you though racism is not a social problem. A perfect example of racism not just being limited to white people is in Japan. They used to despise people from other countries, a lot still do. They are not white. It is a very big social problem, especially in the United States. We have a VERY racist past. I think that people like to remind us of that kind of thing.
Wed Nov 10, 2010 7:15 pm
I've heard this argument before, and I think it's pretty self-serving. Racism is prejudice, which simply means prejudging, and is open to all. It might be comfortable for some to believe that racism is only inflicted by the powerful on those with less power, but in reality it is inflicted by an individual on an entire race.
By the way, I wish men would stop being so surprised that all of us are wary of all of them. That testosterone that they (and we!) love so much makes them not only, well, men, but also makes them much stronger, and sometimes unpredictably aggressive. Our moms were right. Never take candy from a stranger--and keep on crossing the street!
Page Jump:
Page 1 of 5