Eredar- open fantasy roleplay

Nen

Nen
Sun Feb 10, 2013 7:16 am
Welcome!

You are a native of Eredar- an Eredese. This land, which once had a tenuous hold on peace, has been thrown into civil discontent.

The gods are all but absent these days- a huge war to the east has drawn their attention, giving room for smaller deities to grab at power and grow. The last king, the half-elf Altheras, died suddenly and his successor, King Thianon, has made sweeping changing to the kingdom. During Altheras' reign, a drought and famine hit. Though it was not particularly sever nor prolonged, Altheras was ill prepared and fell out of favor in the commons. After his death, as he had no heir, an election was held.

Thianon, one of Altheras' advisors and an ex-general, quickly dispersed his wealth to pay for much needed grains and livestock across the sea. He won the popular vote with ease. Now that Thianon is king, however, things have changed. New laws have come into place, all in the name of keeping Eredar prepared for another drought.

No longer are trade taxes affordable, no longer can a man doing an accounting of his own land and profits, nor can one use the major roadways without paying a toll to Thianon. Everyone is audited. Everyone is taxed. The commonwealth, however, largely see this as a necessary hardship.

Thianon has also completely disbanded the military set up by Altheras and instilled his own. They are still a fledgling force, although they are strict and ruthless. A veteran of the old military can expect additional hardship or even trumped up criminal charges if they choose not to enlist in the new force.

Also in place are a variety of strict laws in the capitol, including a curfew and harsh penalties for speaking against Thianon.

Though Thianon's new rule is still fairly popular with the majority of the population, a few see what lurks beneath. The drought did not occur naturally. Altheras' death was no accident. Thianon's rise to power was not due to him being a just or giving leader. There is a dark power behind his rule. Appearing as a statuesque female elf to Thianon, the god of dark secrets directs his ever move. Vecna is tired of being a lesser deity, and is taking advantage of the far away war to grab at a larger handhold in the material realm.

A large number of Altheras' old military is still loyal to the old king and the old ways. Being dismissed and replaced by Thianon has sat well with few. Many have flocked to the Narrows, a heavily forested section of Eredar where Thianon's army does not yet have the numbers to patrol. There, a brotherhood has formed. They are known simply as the Altheran. Their range extends to the elven nation at the northern end of Eredar.

The Altheran are held together loosely- leaders are not chosen, but rather take their places by deed. Though many were previously in the military, some have joined out of necessity- they just need asylum from Thianon's harsh new laws.

RACES:

Eredar is an island. It does not offer much variety in terms of race- there are humans and halflings to the south, and elves to the north. Half-elves are not uncommon.

Halflings- these short folk live a rather gypsy way of life on Eredar. They are excitable and have a rather short attention span, but are largely loyal companions and stealthy to a fault.

Humans- Share the majority with elves. Pretty standard.

Elves- Unlike their pale and slender cousins, Eredese elves are broad, muscular, and dark. Their thick hair is usually a mixture of shaved and ornamentally bound. Though most of the elves prefer to keep to themselves, their cultural allows acceptance of anyone who displays a high amount of skill in their chosen craft.

Half-elves- are usually lean and tawny-skinned on Eredar. They can dress and style themselves like their human or elven counterpart, or a blending of the two.

GEOGRAPHY:

First is Merrowport, the largest port city in Eredar. A bustling place, it is the most culturally diverse spot on the continent-- a small number of merchants from other lands have settled here, and their homes reflect their homelands. All of the races are common here, as Merrowport accepts anyone with a trade. The port city also offers a wide range of inns and taverns.

Just north of that is Valcrest, the capitol city. The river Mead runs through it, and four major bridges span the water. Small, dirty communities of people unable to meet their taxes have formed under the bridges. This bridgetowns are violently cleared by the militia about once a month. In the northern corner of the city is the arcane school, simply known as the Tower. It is the only official school for magic-users on the continent, and there is a particularly high tax and prision sentence for unschooled hedgewitches or sorcerers.

Court life within Valcrest has become a dark thing. The keep itself appears darker than in the past. Nobles and notables who once found themselves welcome guests are now prisoners, though it is unspoken and they are treated with dignity. Those out of favor with Altheras have found a steady ally in Thianon, and several have risen to become his advisors. As the 'old' gods have become distracted with the war to the east, Thianon's 'Lady' has become a popular target of prayer and ritual. A church is forming.

Throughout the city also are individuals who are friendly with the Altheran brotherhood. These people are not told the names of who they help, but several have built hidden safehouses beneath their homes or establishments. They help to smuggle people, information, and much-needed supplies north.

To the east of Valcrest is Windlyn, the beach-and-dune land of halflings. Though they are largely viewed as a nuisance, the Windlynfolk are skilled craftsman and often travel to Merrowport or Valcrest to peddle their goods, which are largely fashioned from driftwood. It it not uncommon to walk a sand-covered street in Windlyn and see two halflings arguing over who saw a particularly gnarled piece of wood first.

Above Windlyn is Pryport, or the Floating City. Elves and humans are welcome here, but the majority of the population is halfling. Though some live on the land, most of the populace stays on houseboats lashed to the docks and each other. Each of these 'homes' also act as a store or workshop for the resident. Those who are neighbors one day may very well lives miles apart the next. Adventurous citizens sometimes pole their houseboats along the shallows of southern Eredar and visit Merrowport and Blackwater, or travel up the River Mead to Valcrest.

The last port is Blackwater, an unsuccessful and oft-unvisited place. The water around the port is usually too shallow to dock in, and under the surface lies sharp rocks. Surrounded by the sea and rocky beaches on one side, and a stagnant lake (also called Blackwater) and heavy forests on the other, Blackwater is mostly unpoliced. It is a town if cutthroats, dirty tradesmen, and other undesirables but it is also one of the largest supporters of the Altheran.

In the center of Eredar is the Narrows. Here the forest is at it's heaviest. Eredese of all races live here. Though small towns form, it is unusual to be within hearing distance of your neighbors. Most Narrowfolk keep to themselves and like it that way- so they all resent Thianon and his new laws. It is from the Narrows that the Altheran launch their raids and geurilla-warfare against Thianon's army. So far Thianon's troops are too few and too busy in the capitol to spread north and really threaten the brotherhood.

The Fort between Pryport and the Narrows is unnamed, but it's purpose is legendary. When Eredar was first discovered, the Fort was the first forward base of the humans who founded the nation. In the many generations since, the Fort has become the sole training location for the military's melee fighters. Though enlistment rates slowed down during the short famine, the numbers have sprung back up with Thianon's popularity.

North of the Narrows is the elven city of Eriedge. Surrounded by mountains and the same rocky beach that encircles all of Eredar, Eriedge is difficult to get to if you miss one of the few small passes that allows entrance. The population here is all elven, and they like it that way. These elves are mountain people. Their cousins shape foliage and live in airy constructions- Eredese elves carve graceful halls into the mountains. Housing is all pueblo-style-- every home or shop is inside the mountains that surround Eriedge. Even if humans or halflings find their way into the valley, they often overlook the openings to dwellings above their heads.

The last city is Valmead, the largest elf city. Though Valmead has a town at it's base (for those who prefer air over their heads), the city itself is the largest mountain in the north. Deep inside the mountain is a well-lit city. Though Valmead is carved of the mountain stone, it is intricate and spiralled in true elven fashion. The River Mead also starts here, and the spring is the center of city life. A pragmatic people, the Valmead elves welcome the other races to visit and trade, or even stay if they are a skilled craftsman themselves.

PLAYER OPTIONS:

You can choose one, or both if you'd like multiple characters!

Court life in Valcrest-- You are either suffering or flourishing under Thianon's rule as a pawn in court life. Either way, you're not sure who you can trust or what the motives of anyone are.

A member of the Altheran brotherhood-- hiding in the Narrows, you've chosen to join the Altheran for your own reasons. You'll have to survive with a small group of your fellows, knowing that to be turned over to Thianon's army means death.

Note: the geography and some cultural differences are made up. For everything else, there's D&D. I ask that all players stick to D&D classes, and nothing too outlandish!

Last edited by Nen on Thu Aug 22, 2013 11:39 am; edited 7 times in total

Nen

Nen
Thu Mar 21, 2013 3:58 pm
open~ post reserved for character information!

Knight of Zantarni
Thu Mar 28, 2013 3:13 am
I read through the world/plot you made up a while back and have been meaning to say that it's very interesting!

However, I can't join since I've never done any D&D. Good luck finding some players though Yes

Nen

Nen
Thu Mar 28, 2013 6:50 am
Hey Amurita! :] The D&D aspect is really just for reference honestly and I would be available to help with character creation if any of it confused you, if that would help? The only D&D part is... well, the characters' classes really! I've kind of gone my own way with races and such :]

Knight of Zantarni
Fri Mar 29, 2013 4:00 am
Hmmm, maybe I will join then. I just have to think of a good character. Either option sounds like it'd be fun, though I haven't rp'd in a looooooooooong time so I'd rather just have one character than trying to do two.

Do you have a list or descriptions of the different classes used in dungeons and dragons?

Nen

Nen
Mon Jul 29, 2013 10:44 am
No buuut theyre really easy to research and really any high fantasy OC would fit in the setting.

Yep, still wanting to do this!
Fri Aug 02, 2013 3:29 am
-pops head in-

This sounds interesting Laughing
Even if I don't know D&D, I'd be willing to try a hand at RPing this ~

Nen

Nen
Wed Aug 21, 2013 11:38 am
Oh! Attention for my thread!!! I didn't see this until just now, so sorry for the late reply! My first thought was to keep with D&D themes but I am completely willing to just go with high fantasy. Smile
Thu Aug 22, 2013 9:46 am
Nen wrote:
Oh! Attention for my thread!!! I didn't see this until just now, so sorry for the late reply! My first thought was to keep with D&D themes but I am completely willing to just go with high fantasy. Smile

Heeeheehee. It's fine Laughing
I'm perfectly okay with whichever direction you choose to take this RP- I told you I was interested regardless of its D&D influence n__n I like the concept.

... Although I may be slightly biased in favour of the high fantasy option, just because I don't feel confident referring to something I don't know too much about. Yes

Nen

Nen
Thu Aug 22, 2013 11:32 am
High fantasy it is then!!! Smile

I'd like for this to be a small group roleplay, but the forum is so slow!! ): I'd be willing to do a 1x1 with each of us having multiple characters.
Sun Aug 25, 2013 5:18 am
This sounds extremely interesting! I have never played D&D, but my friends do and they invited me to play next semester so I have done some light research on classes and such. I know that isn't a big concern, as it seems nobody else has played either, but I figured I would mention it. (:

I love the map, did you color that? Beautiful~ I know that the forum is pretty slow, but I adore small group roleplays! I'm not super into 1x1, though I have found that often in group roleplays my character only interacts with one person at a time. xD I would probably like to have multiple characters, but not at first. I like to start with one and kind of introduce another into the story later... it keeps things interesting!

It looks like this thread has been going on quite awhile, so I hope that everyone will get together soon and we can get this rolling!!

I am pretty excited for this because I love halflings and I never get to roleplay as them~~ I wish I was spectacular at art so that I could draw my character. V.V I am going to start creating him soon heheh

Nen

Nen
Sun Aug 25, 2013 1:24 pm
Just a warning, I haven't done a forum roleplay in ages! I have no set plans for the plot beyond what is typed in the introduction, so feel free to come up with interesting back stories or add to the lore Smile

I'm glad you're interested in playing a halfling! The elves came about because I am tired of dainty slender elves! So I'll likely be playing someone from Valmead.

Yeah, the map and storyline came about due to a lotttttt of boredom. I'm happy you like it!

I'll get started on fleshing out my own character tonight and hopefully we 3 can get started in a few days? I want to keep the group limited to 5 or 6 players maximum.
Sun Aug 25, 2013 3:43 pm
That's okay, I actually haven't done it in awhile either. (x It is good to not have set plans! That gives everyone much more freedom~

I do really like dainty and slender elves, but your take on them is definitely interesting! They sort of seem like elves with slight characteristics of dwarves... as far as the races of Middle Earth are concerned anyways, haa. I'm considering having my second character be an elf, but I will leave that decision until the time is right.

That sounds good! I am about to go back to school, so I will have a lot of things in real life keeping me busy. But I will check the rp as often as I can (at least once or twice a day but probably more if everyone is a fast poster) so I don't think my many classes will be a problem.

Fri Nov 10, 2017 6:41 pm
where is the profile skeleton at? i am interested in rping with you and hope that i am not causing any trouble here?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Back to Forum -> OOC Threads All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1