Pokemon
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page Jump:
Sat Jan 12, 2013 11:45 pm
What are some of your favorites? Favorite generation? Favorite part of the game?

For me my favorite Pokemon will always be Arcanine. Fire-breathing dog-wolf-tiger-lion-horse. Oh yeah.
(ノ≧∀≦)ノ

And now the announcement of the Sixth Generation coming this October has come out recently. With it there will now be over 700 Pokemon. What are your thoughts on that? I really like the Fire Starter, and the Water one doesn't look too bad either. The deer Legendary kind of reminds me of the Forest Spirit from Mononoke Hime. It's coming out on the 3DS though and taking advantage of the technology, so I probably won't ever have it, but, oh well.

Some links on Pokemon X and Y (named after the two new Legendaries shown in the preview):
http://www.serebii.net/xy/pokemon.shtml
http://www.serebii.net/xy/

Dedicated Citizen
Wed Jan 16, 2013 9:00 am
I was a big fan of the first season and with the first 150 pokemon. I've played some of the games but I wasn't allowed to have any game system growing up.

As for favorites, it's still hard to pick just one. I don't think there were any that I didn't like....
Fri Jan 25, 2013 6:47 pm
I really loved Black and White versions. I had White so I could get the black colored legendary. I put a decent amount of hours in that game last summer. It's still fun to play from time to time since the elite 4 get stronger after you finish the pokemon league. Gives the game more replay value. Ruby and Sapphire were great too, I loved the secret bases you could decorate with the plush toys and stuff.
Sat Jan 26, 2013 3:07 am
Black and White were probably my favorites too; there was just so much more to do in them and the graphics and animations helped. White was my preference though too, since Zekrom's better than Reshiram in my opinion, though it's weird (and kind of annoying too) to have a dragon weak to Ground-type attacks.

I liked the Underground in the fourth generation games, though I never had anyone to do stuff with in it, and it could be a little annoying trying to go from one side of the map to the other since you were essentially walking the entire length of the world while keeping corners and dead-ends in mind.

Sat Jan 26, 2013 8:57 am
First and second gens, all the way. My favorite games will always be Yellow, Gold, Silver, and Crystal. Perhaps I'm old-fashioned. XD To be completely honest, I only played up through Diamond and Pearl. As far as the television series goes, I only like the first season and parts of the second season, though I can appreciate all of the movies. I will never forget waiting in line for the premier of the first Pokemon movie and getting that holographic MewTwo card. If but for that experience alone I know I was born in the right time era. Laughing
Sat Jan 26, 2013 2:10 pm
I totally forgot to mention Gold and Silver oops. I got silver for Christmas when it came out in year 2000. I never beat it back then. When the remake Soul Silver came out a couple years back I played the hell out of it.
Sun Feb 17, 2013 10:29 pm
The second generation has always been my least favorite, mostly because I didn't care for any of the starters (None of them being a dual-type was sort of a pain.) but also the newer Pokemon of that generation were just kind of "eh..." to me. The introduction of that chase-and-hope-for-a-random-encouter thing with the legendary cats was annoying too. I haven't liked that in any of the games really though. Trying to track them in the Pokedex on Fire Red and Leaf Green in particular is/was such a pain. Then it wasn't even really worth it to catch them since they were only single types too and I almost always had something better of their types to use.

It was nice being able to travel to a past area though. Too bad they can't have that in newer games and that be a main way to get Pokemon from older generations. It would make game play a lot longer too. Being able to have a case with each generation's gym badges would be cool too for that matter, though it would likely mean having to raise a few different teams because of levels and I'm not sure how many people would care much for that. I know I usually stick to the same team throughout a game unless I come across something in particular I like.

With the anime I only got to see the first couple of seasons or so when they first aired. The channel that played it then either dropped it or couldn't renew their contract or something, so it was a quite a while before I saw anything from Johto and on, and even then it was only the same handful of episodes over and over again on a different channel. They didn't seem to have many of the episodes (They did the same with the Cardcaptor Sakura episodes they had too.). By the time Cartoon Network got the rights or however it works to showing it it was somewhere into the episodes for the third generation games. When I started to watch it again it became kind of monotonous, what they would cover and how they covered it. It's kind of weird that Jesse and James seem so heartless in the latest episodes, though I don't really see that many. And it's kind of annoying that Ash's knowledge he's picked up over all of this time seems to go right out the window whenever he starts a new team in a new area.

Mon Feb 18, 2013 3:35 pm
I only really ever played first gen, mostly cause after a while I just got so tired of the random encounters. I just want to walk through this cave, zuubats GTFO! XS

That said, my favorites were always Pikachu, Persian, and Mew. Because I am a dork like that, and a sucker for the cute things. When Pokemon Yellow came out, I fansqueed so hard XD

I keep thinking I'll pick up the new gen at some point, but my love of a different series (Harvest Moon), is greater than my interest in pokemon.

I draw! Look me up on dA: LainaInverse
Thu Aug 15, 2013 1:50 pm
Okay, this seems like a nice opportunity to make a ridiculously long, detailed post and earn tons of currency. XD (I wonder if anyone will even read this...)

I love collecting stuff. Thatís why the idea of a game where you collect tons of little creatures (151 was a lot back then, lolÖ) was extremely appealing to me, and you could even name them! (Iím always disappointed when a game only let you choose a name for the main character, and everyone else keeps their default name, even if end up not changing them.) Up to the GBA games, my sister used to buy the other edition so we could trade. We had some sort of color system Ė I got the red/gold games, and she got the blue/silver ones. I broke that habit when I bought Diamond (the more blue-ish one) because I liked Dialga more than Palkia and she doesnít want a DS anyway.

Now on to the games:

Red/Blue/Yellow:
I still enjoy playing Red/Blue more than most of the newer games. Thereís just something completely different about them. Iíve no idea what it is, itís not the simplistic gameplay or the fact that there were only 151 pokemon back then. Itís the whole atmosphere, I guess. And the world. There was that constant tension when I entered places like the lab on Cinnabar Island or even regular cavesÖit all seemed more dark and mysterious than the later games. And the sprite design seemed a lot more serious to me Ė I mean, compare todayís Haunter or Weezing to their Red/Blue counterparts. Those two are downright scary.
Yellow was interesting, but the whole Pikachu thing was more annoying than entertaining to me.

Gold/Silver/Crystal:
Those used my favorite games. They still have some of the Old Kanto atmosphere left (not that Iím actually talking about Kanto Ė that place was a little too empty and more like an extended catching area), Johto is my second favorite region, and the number of pokemon just felt right to me. Pretty much everything about it was fun.
Crystal was great because of the female character (I donít mind playing males at all, but the girls just look so much better most of the time). And unlike Yellow, there werenít changes that seemed disruptive to me. I enjoyed walking around and suddenly running into Suicune in random places. <3

Ruby/Sapphire/Emerald:
Many people donít seem to like those. Iím not quite sure what to think of them. They had some of my favorite pokemon, and I liked the world. I loved the hideout idea to death. I canít really say why Iím not too fond of those games, I canít find anything I really disliked, but something always felt off to me.
I havenít played Emerald, but Iím interested. I bought and Emerald strategy guide for my Ruby version and the additional features seem quite interesting.

FireRed/LeafGreen:
Fun games. Nothing special though. But still a lot better than the first DS generation.

Diamond/Pearl/Platinum:
Uuh. Lots of things I dislike combined in one game. First of all, theyíre slow as hell. Even with animations turned off. Iíve tried shiny chaining a while ago and couldnít stand more than two failed chains because the battle speed drove me crazy. The Poffin making game was tedious. Feels like the developers thought ďHey, we have a touch screen now, letís use it for something that unnecessarily prolong things that worked just fine in previous games, just because we can!Ē And that inflation of legendary pokemon. I thought those were supposed to be special and rare? The previous generation had lots of them too, but they actually had their place in the story, not just in some sidequests you wouldnít even know about if theyíre not available for download in your country. The absolute worst thing was the HMs, though. I was never a fan of having HM attacks on my main team, so I usually took one or two (at most) HM pokemon with me in the other games (most of the time you only required Surf and Strength, and it was easy to find a pokemon that could learn both of them). Now some dungeons made me take 3-4 HM pokemon just because some idiot had to squeeze as many HM skills into one dungeon as possible. Urk.
To be fair, the games had their good points. The poketch had some really helpful features, like the roaming map. (Even though that thing needs a return button. Seriously!) The underground feature was nice too. Hideouts were not as fun as in RSE, but digging for items is about the only thing I still do in these games.

HeartGold/SoulSilver:
I canít actually say much about those. I havenít even finished them, and I probably never will =/ Theyíre not bad at all, itís just that I feel like playing the same thing over and over. Every time I enter a cave, Iím like ďgreat, now I have to go through yet another cave full of Zubat and Geodude -_-" and this is actually enough to kill my fun... The Voltorb minigame was awesome though. Iím still playing it occasionally.

Black/White (2)
My favorite games. And I just recently found out why....I seem to be missing those nostalgic feelings everyone has about the original games and Gen 5 just claimed that free space :3 And this is the first time I actually really liked the characters. (I must admit I don't even remember half of the gym leaders from Gen 3 and 4, or any of the Gen 4 league members except Cynthia....and that's just because I like her sprite.^^") Speaking of charactersÖ.the Subway Bosses are probably my top favorite characters ever. *cough*major obsession*cough*
Itís pretty much impossible to explain why Iím so attached to these games Ė itís probably that ever since Iíve stopped roleplaying in Ragnarok Online, my imagination needed a new playing field x3
TL;DR, the games were fun (again), Unova is awesome and the overall thing is very, very inspiring. Smile

And now Iím not even excited at all about the new games. x)

---------

Favorite Pokemon: Joltik, Chandelure, Misdreavus, Gardevoir, Oshawott, Serperior

Tue Aug 20, 2013 3:33 am
I think my favorite gens were Gold and Silver (the originals) and then Diamond, Pearl, and Platinum.

I just recent ordered Pokemon X for the 3ds and I can't wait until it comes out. I need to finish paying for it tho lol.
Vote?
Tue Aug 20, 2013 5:50 am
Geez, Manah. xD Did that get you enough currency for at least half of the shop?

I know what you mean by liking to collect stuff (though I never have any money to spare, so that collecting is usually done in games, thus my liking of games like Pokemon). I was normally the one who got each version of the games though since no one around me (of the very few kids despite being a trailer park back then) had them. Even my brother didn't really like to play. I ended up using his gaming system at the time to trade when I needed to though. And I like Dialga too. I chose some of the games I got first because of that. The same went for ones like Zekrom. Though I haven't gotten Black 2 and White 2. I'd like to get the new ones coming out, but I don't have a 3DS and I don't know when I'd be able to get one.

Red/Blue/Yellow: The sprites definite had a different feel back then in the first generation. The music felt different too, like Lavender Town. Them being the first games too made it all new and unfamiliar. That's part of the reason the newer ones have sometimes felt...redundant? I mean it's the same premise each game for the most part (the main line games I mean -- the color-/gem-/metal-based ones), so with each newer generation it's sort of the same thing but in a different package.

Gold/Silver/Crystal: These were probably my least favorite games in the main line. I just didn't like anything about them aside from being able to go to a different region (And why haven't we had that ability since?). The random encounters and running away thing has been one of the most annoying aspects of the games to me.

Ruby/Sapphire/Emerald: I liked this generation because it started having a bigger storyline to it and I liked a lot of the Pokemon. Duel-type starters again were nice too. I never used the hideout thing really though.

FireRed/LeafGreen: These were pretty eh to me. Trying to locate the trio through the Pokedex was SO ANNOYING.

Diamond/Pearl/Platinum: The HM thing was annoying, but this was still one of my favorite generations. And while I didn't have WiFi for a long time, it was nice to have something in game that used it.

HeartGold/SoulSilver: I never played them since they were based on my least favorite generation. The cave thing has always been annoying though.

Black/White (2): This is my favorite generation and games too. There's just so much more to them in a sense, and things were more dramatic and fun with the mini-scenes. I haven't tried the Subway yet though. Maybe I'll pull out the games again sometime.

You're not excited at all or was that sarcasm?

@silent stardust: I'd like to play the new games when they come out, but I'd have to borrow my brother's 3DS or something since I don't have one. I'd need more than one game to buy the system for myself, especially since I don't have much money to spare.

Thu Aug 22, 2013 8:06 pm
I'm really not that excited XD I'm just going to buy X when they come out, but I wouldn't care much if it was next year.^^" BW(2) had too much of an impact and it doesn't want me to get distracted by anything else XD (plus there's another game I want much more coming out next week *___*)

And I think I got about enough for a third of the shop. Definitely helpful XD

Sun Aug 25, 2013 6:13 am
I only have a gameboy color and a dsi, so I can't play some of the games... However, I have only played Pokemon Red, Blue, Yellow, Gold, Pearl, and White. To be honest I have never 'finished' a pokemon game. xD I played the gameboy ones when I was younger and I didn't get very far because I was only interested in cute pokemon and then I got bored I think, idk. xD Recently I have started playing red again but my mom gave away blue and yellow so only red and gold remain. I have been playing an awful lot of white and I really like it so far. I only played a little of pearl and I think I like it, but I hear loads of bad things about it so perhaps I will change my mind later? I don't think I have a favorite but I haven't really played enough to feel more attached to one I guess. I love red and I loooove charmander, but I have really enjoyed white and find myself playing that one more often...
Sun Sep 01, 2013 9:39 am
This is kind of funny, I had heard through the grapevine about Shiny Dialga, Palkia and Giratina coming out so I was all excited, I love the colours of shiny Dialga. Anyway, I was in the process of moving to another room in the house and I could NOT find my Black(I like Reshiram better, sister got White) FINALLY I found it, I got it THEN got told it was ONLY for preordering X or Y.
Needless to say, I got my shiny Dialga. And scheming ways to get the other two XD

Sapphire and Pearl are my absolute two favourites. I still have Sapphire. I'm trying to complete my pokedex on it. Not going very well><
Pearl I love, just because. But my sister talked me into trading it for credit so I could get Black. I have been kicking myself since. I wasn't all that thrilled with white. Plus I had a shiny Milotic(My favourite pokemon) on my Pearl.

I also have Crystal and Yellow, but it's been so long since I've played either that I don't want to restart them but I have absolutely no clue what I was doing or where in the game I am.

Like I said, Milotic is my favourite pokemon, but I adore Chandelure. I love that pokemon. I named him Andy in my White XD Victini and Resiram are two of my other favourites.

I don't have a favourite Generation though, I like pokemon from each. I'm not so sure about these next one.
I do want X though. I don't care if it's a fairy type, the GAME itself looks better.
I do like that pokemon have berserker mode in battles though, I thought that was cool(MegaLucario is sexy :3).
From what I've seen though, this new generation of pokemon looks not up to standards for pokemon.. Except Vivillon. Any butterfly looking pokemon are always going to be on my team(loves butterflies to a scary level) And I almost always go with the water starter, but I don't like the frog, I like Chespin the most. I'd have to see the evolutions. I think my favourite starter is totodile. I love Feraligatr. And I'm terrified of alligators and crocodiles. Figure that one out.

Anyhoo, someone should battle me on White *nods*
Speaking of, does anybody else have a gpx(Global PokedeX) account? Smile

The Unorthodox Threesome's Quest
Sun Sep 01, 2013 12:23 pm
Sharingan wrote:
Speaking of, does anybody else have a gpx(Global PokedeX) account? Smile

*points to sig* :3

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Back to Forum -> Entertainment All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page Jump:
Page 1 of 3