Security Error / Red Pages
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page Jump:
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Back to Forum -> The City Hall
Blazestorm

Queen of the Realm
Mon Mar 27, 2017 9:08 pm

Hrmmm... So, as several of you have reported to me today through various means (thank you, by the way!), Zantarni has been popping up bright red "Security Warning" pages when people have tried to come online.

So, here's the deal...

There was a link posted on our forums to another site... a site that has been tagged as a malware site. Because there was a (literal) posted link between Zantarni and this other site, we have been flagged as also being a malware site.

This "malware" site's identity has been discovered and all references to it on Zantarni have been removed from our forums. We have requested the "web powers that be" (Google, et cetera) to re-review Zantarni for this supposed malware threat.

And Now we wait - there is little else that Zukyun and I can do at this point other than hope that it is a short wait.

For the record, there is No Threat on Zantarni itself, and again, all references to the reported threat have been removed (so you have nothing to fear there). Zantarni is safe for you to log in, post, and participate in activities if you can get past the "red flags" (or pages) your security software is throwing

We'll post updates, as appropriate.

Thanks for your continued understanding.

Mon Mar 27, 2017 9:40 pm
Thank you for getting to this so fast and for explaining/ fixing it. I would hate to have to leave Zantarni, I like it here.

Blazestorm

Queen of the Realm
Mon Mar 27, 2017 10:11 pm
Any time, Pike. We're glad you -and all our other citizens- are here -- we like you too! Yes Heart

The situation is not quite fixed just yet... but there's nothing Zukyun, I, or the Knights can do about that right now. We just have to wait to be "reviewed"... and our request for that has been received and put in to queue.

I'm just sorry that I didn't become aware of this situation sooner than I did, but ... ya know... life... and today, I was away from the computer for most of the day. It happens.

Mon Mar 27, 2017 10:22 pm
I bet this was Bernie upset because she wasn't able to "bless" our wonderful town with her Turnip recipes during the spring festival.

On a serious note, I for one, thank you and Zukie for keeping this place safe at all times. It is comforting to not worry about bad things tampering with our information. I love it hear as well (if it isn't obvious), and glad it's in the works on being fixed.

Also, Blaze I hope you have enjoyed your time away from the computer. It certainly is refreshing to take your eyes off of a screen for a bit to enjoy a different type of scenery.

Tue Mar 28, 2017 1:13 am
Thanks for clarifying, glad everything is alright!

bohemian

Dedicated Citizen
Tue Mar 28, 2017 6:58 am
Wait...Bo missed out on causing trouble? Wah!

I hadn't really noticed anything. I've been busy getting over a head cold and playing catch up from my week off uni last week. Sigh
Rayven: *gets hit in the face with some underwear* Wow Bo sure likes to get naked! XD
7090/10000
Blazestorm

Queen of the Realm
Tue Mar 28, 2017 1:04 pm
Thanks for the thought, Ivy. Smile

plaidgirl wrote:
Thanks for clarifying, glad everything is alright!

Yup. Nothing on Zantarni has actually changed; it's still as secure as it always has been... it's just an unfortunate association (posted link) with a different site that has managed to make the malware list for whatever reason Yes

bohemian wrote:
Wait...Bo missed out on causing trouble? Wah!

Oh, you might still be able to see the red pages, Bo... if that's something you really want to see...
Sigh

... and is it just me or is it weird that the apparent terminology has gone from "malware" to "badware"...? Do people really not know what the prefix "mal" means? Confused Zoned *confused and feeling old*

Dedicated Citizen
Tue Mar 28, 2017 9:45 pm
I'm so glad that's over! Phew! *wipes brow* I was scared to log on. I'm glad I was able to today because of the login gift. Was there only 1? Because I wasn't able to get on at all yesterday due to the dreaded red page. Crying or Very sad

Queen of the Realm
Tue Mar 28, 2017 10:30 pm
Yes, indeed! Yes It looks like we are mostly cleared of this silliness now. Zukyun and I are still seeing the occasional red page in all our searching and testing and following up, but it looks like we are pretty much cleared.

Remember, red pages or not, there is no actual threat here. Zantarni is free of malware. It is safe. It always has been. You can log in, post, and participate as normal.

We'll continue to keep you guys informed and updated as appropriate. Thanks for bearing with us during this... well... bizarre fluke... of an incident!

And yes, there's only the one log-in gift ("Framed Kitty") Yes

Knight of Zantarni
Tue Mar 28, 2017 10:55 pm
I knew that Zantarni could not possibly be a malware site.

It will have been ten years on 12th June this year that I have been a member of Zantarni (CRIKEY! Shocked) and I never had anything bad happen to my computer because of visiting it.

I am confident that Blaze and Zukyun are doing everything they can to keep us safe and our personal info protected.

Thanks for clearing up the misunderstanding Blaze. Heart

bohemian

Dedicated Citizen
Wed Mar 29, 2017 1:02 am
My uni wanted confirmation that I actually wanted to proceed to Zan. I'm like, DUH! I wanna proceed! thunk
Rayven: *gets hit in the face with some underwear* Wow Bo sure likes to get naked! XD
7090/10000
Rayven

Dedicated Citizen
Wed Mar 29, 2017 2:08 am
Thank you Queen Blaze. I know Zan is safe, but you never know what hackers or some such might do so I was just being extra careful. I also knew you'd fix whatever it was. *hugs* And thank you for the login gift too. Very Happy

Knight of Zantarni
Wed Mar 29, 2017 8:24 am
Thank you very much to Queen Blaze and Lord Zukyun for dealing with this unfortunate issue.

I'm glad to be back -- and I love the Framed Kitty!

Queen of the Realm
Wed Mar 29, 2017 1:09 pm

We are officially and completely cleared!

Quote:
URL: http://www.zantarni.com/

Congratulations! Google is no longer reporting this URL as badware. We have updated our Badware Website Clearinghouse to reflect this. Any third-party warnings about the URL that are based on Google's data should be removed shortly...

I understand everyone's instinct to be super cautious in a situation like this, and unless you were willing to get past the red pages, or saw the updates I've also been trying to post on Facebook, you wouldn't have seen the explanation or details of what was going on. It's ok - I'd rather you guys be cautious and safe than be sorry.

Thank you for your faith in Zukyun and me to find and fix whatever was going on and to keep you guys safe. Heart Luffles

Just so you guys know, malware is malicious computer virus that installs on your computer and does whatever malicious things it wants to do... but there is literally nothing on Zantarni that can do this type of thing. We have no ads (which have been known to occasionally hide malware), and we have a fantastic team of diligent, aware, and conscientious Knights who don't tolerate anything resembling spam or weird links being posted... as most of you know.

The "bad site" that was linked from Zantarni was, once, a valid site. The links to it were posted in years-old discussion threads as a possible resource to be used by others with the same creative interest... it was no different than somebody posting a link to photobucket or deviant art, for example. I'm guessing that the site and domain are no longer maintained by the original owner, and the domain has been snatched up by some less-than-reputable persons. We got caught in the crossfire.

There was no way for us to anticipate this happening, and unless you happened to find those very old threads and clicked on that particular link that brought you to that one particular non-Zantarni site, there never was a threat to any of you. This was a fluke (and yes, with all the links to other sites that have been posted here over the years, it could possibly happen again, but if so, we'll deal with it quickly). Otherwise, barring an actual hack to Zantarni (which seems unlikely and wouldn't throw big red pages in our faces), there's nothing here that is a threat. But again, I'd rather you guys be safe than sorry.

Thank you for bearing with us through this unfortunate bit of weirdness!
Heart

... now go post stuff! ... and play games! ... and buy the DIs (the month is nearly gone)! ... and stuff!! XD

And you're welcome for the Framed Kitty, by the way. I thought I had already released it, but since I didn't, this seems like an excellent opportunity for this little surprise! Yes

Welcome back, everyone! Heart

Wed Mar 29, 2017 4:41 pm
SOFT KITTY WARM KITTY LITTLE BALL OF FUR

PORTRAIT KITTY FRAME KITTY PURR PURR PURR! (and stuff...im picking on blaze here and stuff...see her last post....#blazesminionrox)

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Back to Forum -> The City Hall All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page Jump:
Page 1 of 2