~Game of Thrones anyone?~
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page Jump:

The Song of Ice and Fire or Game of Thrones?
The Song of Ice and Fire (book series)
60%
 60%  [ 3 ]
Game of Thrones (TV show)
20%
 20%  [ 1 ]
Both! <3
20%
 20%  [ 1 ]
Total Votes : 5

LillieRose

Knight of Zantarni
Tue Jul 18, 2017 8:04 pm
Okaaaay, sooooo... I am hooked on Game of Thrones pretty much and with the recent start of season 7,
I just wanted to see if there is anyone here at Zantarni who is equally taken with this story as I am and to gauge some opinions about it.

For the sake of keeping this as a discussion thread, I have prepared some talking points and questions below that you can refer to if you need encouragement to join. :3

1. How did you come across The Song of Ice and Fire aka. Game of Thrones?
2. Have you read the books or just followed the TV show?
3. What is your opinion about the storyline?
4. If you have read the books, do you plan to watch the TV series as well?
5. If you have watched the TV series, do you plan on reading the books at some point?
6. Do you have any favourite characters and if you do, who are they and why?
7. Is there a plotline that you believe the story could have done without and if yes, which one?
8. Which aspect of the story do you enjoy the most: the political games, the fantasy setting or any other?
9. Which part of the world would you like to live in?
10. Why do you think this show has generated such a large viewing audience?

I tried to keep the questions rather neutral in order to avoid spoilers for those who didn't watch the show or read the books beforehand but are considering to do so.

If you want to discuss a particular aspect of the storyline, try to keep it as much spoiler free as possible.
:3

I am looking forward to hearing what you think. Heart

Last edited by LillieRose on Wed Jul 19, 2017 12:10 am; edited 1 time in total
Rayven

Dedicated Citizen
Tue Jul 18, 2017 10:07 pm
Fun topic Lillie! Thanks. Very Happy

I will do my best to keep it spoiler free, but it's hard to discuss a book without revealing a little. XD At least about a character's personality.

The library. I don't usually buy into all the hype about books, movies, shows, etc., but I happened to see them and decided to read them. I went into it not really knowing exactly how popular it was. I was very impressed though.

I have read all of the books (so far). They are wonderful. To be honest I'm disappointed with George R.R. Martin (author) though. He is taking his sweet time to write more, and now the TV series is passing him up. They are having to speculate about what will happen. Not that they followed the books very well to begin with. The books are so much better than the TV series in my opinion. I've read quotes from the author when he has been asked about when he will come out with more books, and he's very blasť about it. I think that's not fair to the fans. J.K. Rowling did a much better job of keeping her books going. I think when a series means that much to your fans, and they've made you rich and famous, you owe them a little bit of something in return. He doesn't look like the healthiest man, and he's getting old. I have little hope that the story will be fininshed. Maybe he has writer's block?

I thoroughly enjoy the books, but I do wish that they were written in a more straightforward timeline. He doesn't have all the characters in every book, and when you go to the next book you go backwards in time to a certain degree checking on a character that wasn't really in the last one. It can be a bit confusing if you take any time in between reading the books. I also wish all characters had been dealt with in each book. I prefer some characters over others, and it kind of sucked having to wait to read about them in the next book.

4. If you have ready the books, do you plan to watch the TV series as well?

I have watched bits and pieces of it. Honestly, if it weren't for E I probably wouldn't watch it at all. He loves it, but he hasn't read the books and never will. He's not a reader. XD I'm somewhat disappointed with the TV series.

5. If you have watched the TV series, do you plan on reading the books at some point?

N/A

I can't help but like Tyrion. He can be a jerk, but he's had a rough life. He never really had a chance so I think he's done the best he can with the hand he was dealt. He is not "evil" like some of his family members. That is one of my biggest complaints with the TV series. They paint Cersei as a sympathetic character to a certain degree. While in the books she is just evil, and I could never feel sorry for her. I also like Arya, Ygritte, and Samwell Tarly a lot.

7. Is there a plotline that you believe the story could have done without and if yes, which one?

Well I don't think I'd actually call it a plotline, but I could have done without the animal abuse. I could also do without the whole Bolton clan.

8. Which aspect of the story do you enjoy the most: the political games, the fantasy setting or any other?

The characters. They are so real. Good and bad. They are more realistic than most books in that regard I think.

I think I would prefer the Riverlands most, but I think they're all fascinating in their own way. The North would be good, but it's too cold. XD

Because it truly is a great story. Very complex. I have read very few books that are this complicated. George R.R. Martin did a great job of not making it confusing considering how many different characters, lands, schemes, political ambitions, etc. there are in this story. I read another book recently that had a similar complex structure, but it was way more confusing. There are characters you'd like to behead yourself, some are likable, and others you can see a bit of yourself in.

Knight of Zantarni
Wed Jul 19, 2017 12:27 am
I am glad that you think this is a fun topic Rayven. I was kind of hoping it would be. :3

I didn't mean absolutely spoiler free, that would be quite impossible. XD

Just keep it reasonable. :3

I agree, I much prefer the books over the TV show - I simply inhaled them when I got my hands on them. My husband couldn't understand what was so appealing about it until the TV show came out. When we watched it, he was hooked. He's no reader either, so I watched all seasons of the TV show thus far with him but still prefer the books.

I am not sure if George R.R. Martin will ever finish it, which is kind of disappointing.

I am just afraid that the TV show will spoil the ending of the story because nobody quite knows what happens in the end - I don't think Martin knows himself yet. >.>

Thank you for your observations and opinion. :3

I am glad to see that I am not the only one obsessed with GoT. XD

Rayven

Dedicated Citizen
Wed Jul 19, 2017 3:54 pm
You were right it definitely was Lillie! Very Happy

I'm glad you agree with me about that. I don't want to offend anybody who's in love with the TV series. I can imagine if I hadn't read the books first that I would have enjoyed it a lot more.

Well assuming he finishes the books, I think it will be ok. I think he would make it different from the TV series. He'd almost have to. No one would want to read the last books if they felt they already had it spoiled for them. No, I don't think he does. I think he's kind of a mess which really surprises me. How he could come up with such a wonderful series, but be so unorganized, is beyond me. XD

You're very welcome. Thank you for starting the topic. Very Happy

No you're not. XD

I hate to bug you, but do you think you would mind answering your questions? I'd love to hear your answers. Very Happy

Knight of Zantarni
Thu Jul 20, 2017 1:55 am
Well there is one thing I did right yesterday then. I was kind of having a not such a good day.

The TV show is a good enough option (I suppose) for those who don't like reading or just can't immerse themselves in books. You can tell that a lot of effort went into creating it.

Yes, I agree, the book endings will be different than the TV show ending. It's kind of a similar story to the Fullmetal Alchemist anime - there are two versions, Fullmetal Alchemist which was done parallel with the manga but was finished before the manga was finished, and then Fullmetal Alchemist Brotherhood which was done after the manga had been finished.

You're very welcome, I was glad to do it. :3

Oh my, I guess I will have to now, won't I? XD

I am an avid Tolkien fan, so I went to the library to hunt down some books that would be in that genre and I came across the Song of Ice and Fire, which were about 4 books at the time.
I found out about the TV show, Game of Thrones, on recommendation from some friends of mine, I figured it would be fun to watch with my husband who is not much of a reader but seemed to be interested in the story. He likes the TV show very much.

I did both, as per my answer above.

I think it's brilliant. The setting is crafted wonderfully, the characters are well developed (most of them) and the storyline is very intriguing, so much so, that it just sucks you in. The political games are nuanced and at home in the 21st century as much as they are in a medieval type setting. I think the writing is just simply superb.

4. If you have read the books, do you plan to watch the TV series as well?

As I mentioned in my first answer, I did both and I am very much looking forward to reading books 6 and 7 if they are ever released. I'm a completionist, so I like to follow through with what I have started.

As above.

My two absolute favourite characters are Tyrion Lannister and Arya Stark. I think they are the two best developed characters in the story and the two characters that people can learn most from if they try and put themselves into their shoes. I am also happiest with these two characters portrayed in the TV series, I think the two actors playing these roles respectively did a fantastic job bringing them to life.

I could have done without the appearance of the Bolton family. Also, I think Bran Stark's story is very convoluted and confusing, it could have been done in a much different way. John Snow also doesn't really float my boat if you know what I mean.

I love it that the whole story could be plucked out and plunked right into current times. From what I have been reading in the news, all the political games, plotting, intrigue can easily be applied to modern times. I also love the way the characters are built, they are very human, very flawed, learning and adapting, just as people do in real life. It is an excellent slice of life piece and it is very well constructed.

I love Dorne, I think I would love to live in a place like that. :3

I believe the TV show had such success primarily because the story is extremely compelling and relevant, applicable to modern times as much as medieval times. The viewers can easily establish a personal connection with the characters, imagine themselves in their shoes and think about their actions and how they would have behaved in similar situations that the characters find themselves in. And the settings are just gorgeous, whoever did the location scouting did an amazing job. :3

This is only my opinion though, feel free to share yours. :3

Rayven

Dedicated Citizen
Thu Jul 20, 2017 4:02 pm
Oh Lillie! I'm sure you did more right then just creating a great thread. XD *hugs*

I've not watch or read Fullmetal Alchemist. It sounds interesting though.

Well I'm glad to see I'm not the only Tyrion fan! XD I was afraid I might be the only one. Peter Dinklage is just awesome! I agreed with much of what you said. I do like Jon Snow though, but I don't always understand him or think he makes good decisions. I like that he was kind to Sam when no one else was. I always root for the underdog. XD Also, I don't think I'm as crazy about the TV Arya. In the books I believe she was younger, or at least she felt that way. She also had this innocent quality about her even though she was going through all of this, and even though she knew she was going to have to get tough (and was really tough). This could be because of the actress playing her, or because I haven't watched the whole thing. I'm not sure, but with what I have seen I just felt like something was missing. Except for her look. I think they got that right. XD Lillie I'm not trying to get you to change your mind. I just want to keep the conversation going. I feel like I'm in a book club. XD

I hope more people join in this discussion. A party of two is still a party, but I'd like to see some more opinions. XD I find it hard to believe we're the only fans here. *looks around accusingly*

Knight of Zantarni
Thu Jul 20, 2017 8:29 pm
Meh, my job is getting the best of me and I am suffering from winter depression. >.<

If you like manga and anime, you should watch it, it's a great story, one of my favourites. :3

I don't think you are, I think Tyrion is the best character in the show and my hubby agrees, as well. XD

Peter Dinklage did an amazing job bringing him to the screen, though he is way too handsome comparing him to the Tyrion in the book. :3

John Snow just strikes me as very bland. I like him way more in the books than I do in the show though. I think he lacks something, I just can't put my finger on what exactly that is. I do like the aspect of morality in his character but maybe the problem is that he is waaaaaaay too much of an underdog and you can feel it. It should have been done more subtly.

What I love about Arya is that blend of innocence and ruthlessness which makes a fierce combination in her character. She has her own moral code and standards of honour, yet she has no qualms to punish those who deserve punishment. I just find her fascinating. And I think Maisie Williams portrays her beautifully with all the quirks of the book Arya, except her age, you're right, Arya is younger in the books.

I don't change my mind that easily, I like what I like and being a lit major, I understand that every single person in this world will have a slightly different opinion about something. That's the beauty of literature, we can all be right about something. XD

Maybe people don't have time to write mile long posts?

*whispers to the lurkes* You don't have to answer all of my questions, just pick the ones you like. XD

Rayven

Dedicated Citizen
Fri Jul 21, 2017 3:29 am
I'm sorry. Sad Hang in there. Do you want to change jobs? Maybe that would help.

Well I like a little bit of that. I haven't actually seen much so I probably don't have enough knowledge to know if I will really like it. I should watch it and get more experience. Very Happy

True. Book Tyrion wouldn't be much to look at. XD

I think you're right about Jon Snow. He plays by the book too much, and I think that's why he always gets the short end of the stick.

Arya is a fascinating character. Most girls her age would crumple under such pressure. Like Sansa, and Sansa is older than her!

That's true, and books like this make it easy because there's so much to talk about. Very Happy

Maybe. I'm sure someone will make an appearance. I'm surprised Queen Blaze hasn't been here. I've seen that she's a reader too. Yes

Knight of Zantarni
Mon Jul 24, 2017 8:02 pm
Changing jobs is not an option for me right now, as I am on a work visa and with only one year left on it, my hubby and I need to sort out our residency application this year. It's important that I have a steady, full time job for most of my stay here in NZ that will look good on our application. Maybe once that's over, I can look into other options.

Anime and manga take commitment, as some of the series are very, very long. XD

I am looking forward to see what twists and turns the show will bring to the table this season. Though, I admit it, I feel a bit weird that there is no book to read before the ending of it all. XD

Yes, there is so much to talk about with this book series.
I think everybody can find at least something in them that will grab their attention. I am getting tired of the people who behave like they deserve a medal for not watching GoT and yes, I think the books deserve to be more hyped up than the show, but Martin made a huge mistake by not finishing the series. With this, he is alienating a lot of people who don't want to watch the show because they think it will spoil it for them.

I'm a big believer in approaching literature and film without prejudice. I have come across some amazing gems that had bad criticism flung at them but turned out to be real diamonds, so to those who feel that they don't want to watch or read this series because they believe it's overhyped, please, don't believe everything that the media says. Grab the books, subscribe to the show and make your own, educated decision about whether it's worth your time or not. That's all I can say. :3

Rayven

Dedicated Citizen
Mon Jul 24, 2017 8:53 pm
Good luck with getting all of that sorted out. I hope you can find a happy place when it's all complete. Very Happy

Well...I may wait to start it then. I don't think I have extra room for more commitments right now. XD

I just hope I get to see it. We need to get HBO. I'm going to look into it.

Yes he did, but I just think he's not organized enough to do it. I'm surprised he accomplished what he already did to be honest.

I agree. I had a librarian tell me not to read the 50 Shades of Grey series, and that kept me from reading or watching them. I recently decided that I want to give it a try, and make my own decision. There is a lot of "classic" literature that I just can't stand. It's too boring. Others I love. Everyone is different in what they like, and we can't go by what someone else says.
Fri Aug 04, 2017 6:04 pm
I will answer all the questions above at a later time, since I need to do 'human' things (i.e. shower) but I wanted to say that it was someone here on Zan that suggested I read the books. Twas a long time ago, but nonetheless, it was here.
Second, my daughter is named after Arya Stark. Except we spelled it Aria, to add the musical aspect to it. She is very much turning into a very strong, stubborn clone of Arya

The Unorthodox Threesome's Quest
Riley

Dedicated Citizen
Sat Aug 05, 2017 12:56 am
Cause I have some time XD

I can't remember. I think word of mouth, because I hadn't even heard of the books before I started watching it.

Just the TV show. I had some interested in reading the books, but I really have no interest.

Which one? lol
I general, I think I like them all to varying degrees, except Bran. I really don't like his story line.

4. If you have read the books, do you plan to watch the TV series as well?[b/]
I haven't read any of the books.

[b]5. If you have watched the TV series, do you plan on reading the books at some point?

Nope.

Baelish was my favorite until he started getting involved with Sansa. I just don't see a place for his character anymore, to be honest. I like Jorah, Tyrion, Olenna, and Oberyn. And interestingly, I really like Missandei. She's easy for someone to overlook or dismiss, but I wouldn't underestimate her =)

Bran's plot line. I'm still waiting to see how it fits in with the rest of the story arcs.

All of it. I played Vampire LARP for a long time, and if I ever play again, GoT would be a very big inspiration for vampire politics. And of course I enjoy the fantasy setting XD

No where, lol
I want to live.

There's so much going on, it's bound to draw people into the show via one storyline or another. And with so much BS going on in the world, it a great way to escape for a little while.

Knight of Zantarni
Mon Aug 14, 2017 11:07 pm
Thanks for joining in Sharingan and Riley.
:3

Anybody interested in giving a bit of an update on where they are with season 7 if you're watching it?

My hubby and I decided that we want to binge watch season 7, so we haven't started on it yet, as it's only halfway through it.

That's why I asked you guys to keep it as spoiler free as possible, though, I know I cannot fully escape it as the show progresses. Some of my friends are huge fans. XD

If there is anything you'd like to share, please feel free.
I am looking forward to your insights.

Rayven

Dedicated Citizen
Tue Aug 15, 2017 3:23 pm
We just upgraded our cable so we could watch it. Unfortunately we missed the first two episodes. Hopefully we can catch them some other time. I have missed most of the TV series, but he was complaining about only missing the two episodes. XD So far I like it this season. I still have the same problems with the TV series I always have, but I'm just trying to enjoy it for what it is since I may never get to finish the books.

Knight of Zantarni
Thu Aug 17, 2017 1:36 am
I am itching to watch it but I keep telling myself 'NO!NO!NO!'. XD

Fingers crossed that I don't get too curious in the upcoming 5 weeks.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Back to Forum -> Entertainment All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page Jump:
Page 1 of 2