(your) Top 10 Influential Authors?
Blazestorm

Queen of the Realm
Fri Jan 15, 2016 3:52 pm
I'm curious... if you had to choose, who would be your ten-twelve (10-12) most influential authors of all time... no timelines, no limitations on culture or context or content.

QuestionArrow Who do you think are some of the world's most influential authors?
QuestionArrow Why?

QuestionArrow What are your favorite pieces of literature by these authors?

Queen of the Realm
Fri Jan 15, 2016 3:57 pm
For "my" list, I'm thinking of people like:

1- William Shakespeare
2- Edgar Allen Poe
3- Jules Verne
4- H.G. Wells
5- Robert Heinlein
6- Isaac Asimov
7- Ayn Rand
8- Charlotte Bronte
9- Emily Bronte
10- Mark Twain
11-
12-

Some other possibilities for this list might include...
    Ernest Hemingway, William Wordsworth, Walt Whitman, Leo Tolstoy, Nathaniel Hawthorne, Chaucer, Milton, Virgil, Homer, Dostoevsky, Yeats, Melville, Keats, Ovid, Kafka, Voltaire, Camus, Tennyson, F.Scott Fitzgerald

... but please list your own ideas of "most influential" authors...

Last edited by Blazestorm on Tue Jan 03, 2017 2:41 am; edited 2 times in total
WishingMoon

Dedicated Citizen
Fri Jan 15, 2016 5:31 pm
I would have to do a lot more thinking about this but you have me for 10 minutes so I'll throw some ideas out there in no particular order.

I'm going to mention JK Rowling first. Not only did she inspire a whole generation to love reading but she has changed a lot of the ways we interact with Authors in their work. Before JK a lot of authors would forbid their readers from having any ideas or derivatives that contradict their writings at all. Authors such as Anne Rice and SE Hinton. This means no fan art, no fanfiction, no re-imagining anything about the work. JK loves that people can imagine Hermione as a black character and draw art about it. She wants the fans to be as big part of the books as she was. This allows for a huge change in the way we interact with books. I believe this is why shows like Supernatural that have a lowish fallowing but a huge active fan base can be so important. Even more important than that people feel like they can really bring light to diversity within writing to better represent people.

I'll come back with something about George Orwell.

Queen of the Realm
Fri Jan 15, 2016 8:52 pm
Yes - definitely Rowling! ... although I admit that, despite the "no timelines, no limitations", I was thinking a little more "classic" oriented. Of the current, modern authors, she's a definite!

And yes, Orwell is another good one!

Dedicated Citizen
Fri Jan 15, 2016 10:25 pm
Well there isn't a point to a list about defining authors if I don't feel impacted by them or don't know them well enough to say how they impact me.

I went ahead with JK because I see her becoming a classic. She writes in such a way as to reference themes/styles from antiquity and classics. She also has a big staying power, I still see people coming up with new theories about the books.

I've read books,ect by a lot of your list. I will say I only know Ayn Rand from criticism of her writing and philosophy. I can't say anything about her lack of writing skills but I get nothing substantial from reading about Objectavism I believe that is what the term is.

Dedicated Citizen
Sun Jan 17, 2016 10:50 am
This requires a fair bit of thought. Especially because at the time of publishing, some authors don't think their work would impact people much, but some authors works have made huge impacts on a future they only dreamed about and didn't think it possible.
Rayven: *gets hit in the face with some underwear* Wow Bo sure likes to get naked! XD
7250/10000
Paganbeer

Knight of Zantarni
Sat Oct 29, 2016 10:23 pm
I have no idea how much they may have influenced the world, but they have influenced me.

1. Andre Norton
2. Terry Pratchett
3. Neil Gaiman
4. Robert R Green
5. Mercedes Lackey
6. Marion Zimmer Bradley
7. Anne McCaffrey
8. J.R.R. Tolkien
9. J.K. Rowling
10. Stephen King

There are others, of course, but these are probably the top 10, even though I won't read King anymore, and Bradley sent me a really snarky rejection letter for a story I sent her magazine.

Knight of Zantarni
Thu Nov 03, 2016 10:45 pm
Here are some of my picks and I will try to elaborate why I think these belong among the most influential authors in my opinion.

1. Shakespeare - there was no question about this one, he basically re-formed the English language through his writing and defined drama as we know it today.

2. George Elliot - she was a pioneer female author who lay down groundwork for other female authors to follow and I also think he was one of the founders of "chick - lit" as we know it today (my personal opinion). She was a contemporary of the Bronte sisters.

3. William Blake - I consider him the ultimate romantic poet who wrote poetry just the way poetry is supposed to be. Or the way I like my poetry. XD

4. Howard Phillips Lovecraft - I believe him to be the most influential horror author after E.A. Poe. He defined horror as the genre we know today.

5. Ernest Hemingway - though I do not enjoy his "hard boiled fiction", I can appreciate the fact that he steered away from what was considered mainstream and established a new style of his own.

6. James Joyce - I owe this man my understanding of the word "epiphany". Difficult to read, I would recommend "The Dubliners" out of all the works I read by this author. It's a staple for everyone who consider themselves well read.

7. Paul Auster - One of my absolute favourite contemporary mainstream authors. His works are what I consider urban fiction in my dictionary.

8. Clive Barker - I consider him to be the ultimate contemporary fantasy horror author. I love Stephen King but I think Clive Barker grasps the horror genre better than King.

9. Isabel Allende - Latin America, Chile and Peru, magic realism, influential female author today. Need I say more?

10. Neil Gaiman - father of Sandman, lover of mythology and fairy tales. He is my absolutely ultimate favourite author in the world. Everybody needs a little Gaiman in their lives and they can have him, because he has books for children, tweens, teens and adults. His work is universal and appealing to a wide range of people.

That is all, do ask me if you have any questions. :3

Riley

Dedicated Citizen
Mon Mar 13, 2017 2:52 am
Every time I see this thread, I spend quite a bit of time thinking about my answer, yet never post anything. It's hard for me to look at how any author has influenced the world, as I admittedly live under a rock and tend to stick with the fantasy genre.

I don't have ten, but there were a few that came to my mind, in no particular order:

1. C. S. Lewis - This choice is more of a personal pick, but he has had influence in religion, philosophy, logic, and fantasy.

2. Upton Sinclair - The Jungle has been on my reading list for quite some time. I know it played a significant role in establishing the Pure Food and Drug Act, later renamed to the Food and Drug Administration.

3. Niccolo Machiavelli - It's been a long time since I've read The Prince, but we all the know the term "Machiavellian", which came from that book. I'm sure Machiavelli's work has had a big influence on political maneuvering.

Dedicated Citizen
Mon Mar 13, 2017 4:17 am
I still haven't thought up a list of authors. While I agree that JK has made an impact in the children's world of writing, I could not read her adult book Casual Vacancy. I don't know what it is about that book, I just couldn't read it. Yet I devoured every word of Harry Potter. Shrug

Sir Arthur Conan Doyle and his Sherlock Holmes character would have had a HUGE influence in the late 1800's due to tv not being a thing to entertain people. I often go back to the books to read...except I'm not sure why I've never read of Sherlock's brother in the books...maybe I hadn't been paying attention while reading them.

I'll probably have to go home and stare at my bookshelf and wait for the books to talk to me...but I would be home until tomorrow and by then I will have to do stuff for uni the following day lol.
Rayven: *gets hit in the face with some underwear* Wow Bo sure likes to get naked! XD
7250/10000
Tue Nov 07, 2017 7:01 pm
1. anne mccaffree
2. james herriot
3.erin hunter

to name a few of whats on my shelves

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Back to Forum -> Entertainment All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1