~Terry Pratchett's Discworld: TV series adaptations~
LillieRose

Knight of Zantarni
Wed Oct 31, 2018 7:25 pm
Hello everyone!

Now, I know I am definitely not the only bookworm (bookerfly) on Zantarni and I was wondering if there are any Terry Pratchett fans out there?

I have been following Sir Terry's Facebook page religiously and keeping up with all of the updates in regards to his legacy, namely, some of his novels being turned into TV series.

I don't know how many of you know but Sir Terry and Neil Gaiman wrote a book together called Good Omens - The Nice and Accurate Prophecies of Agnes Nutter, Witch which is now being adapted into a TV series by none other than Neil Gaiman himself. Gaiman also worked on the adaptation of most famous novel, American Gods, which premiered its first season last year, so clearly, this bloke knows what he's doing.

The news that I woke up to this morning on Sir Terry's page is the following:

The Watch - TV series

For those of you who don't know, there are 41 novels in this series and many different storylines starring many different characters. One of the storylines follows the notable Captain Samuel Vimes and the Ankh-Morpork City Watch.

Arguably, this storyline has some of the wittiest humour ever written down in a novel (IMHO).

Having read the blurb on the website linked above, I - and many other fans of Sir Terry's work - am concerned that the TV series producers are not going to stay true to Sir Terry's writing and legacy.

I am really, really trying not to be prejudiced and give this a chance when it's released but I can't help but fear that the producers will not be able to accurately transfer the feel and wittiness of the novels pertaining to the City Watch into the big screen.

Now, as I know that there ARE bookworms out there in the big land of Zantarni, I am curious to hear:

- if any of you have read any Discworld novels,
- did you read the ones related to the City Watch and
- what do you think about this idea of bringing it to televisions screens?

Please, discuss away.

As an extra question:

- have you read the Good Omens novel by Sir Terry Pratchett and Neil Gaiman and
- did you see the trailer for the TV series?
- what do you think, will it be worth a watch and do you think Gaiman managed to stay true to the novel?

Again, discuss away. :3

Riley

Dedicated Citizen
Thu Nov 01, 2018 1:48 am
Aahhhh! I keep meaning to read me some Terry Pratchett! A lot of people keep recommending his books to me, and I haven't read anything yet. Since NaNoWriMo is pretty much here, I usually don't read anything during November. But, I'll add one of his books to my goodreads list to remind me to check his stuff out.

Avi Vote
bohemian

Dedicated Citizen
Thu Nov 01, 2018 1:51 am
I've seen his books, but have never picked up any of his books. They never really seemed to "jump out" at me, so to speak. If I were to pick up one, which book would you recommend?
Rayven: *gets hit in the face with some underwear* Wow Bo sure likes to get naked! XD
8605/10000
LillieRose

Knight of Zantarni
Thu Nov 01, 2018 9:18 pm
I highly recommend the Discworld series. it's insanely witty and very fun to read or listen to. These are some of the only books that I have ever listened to in an audiobook format, as most of the books that I found were narrated by Bill Nighy and I absolutely love him. Luffles

Bo: you can find a reading order here.

You can either pick one of the mini-series that relate to certain characters as per described in the link - my personal favourites are the witches and the City Watch - or you can start from the beginning, chronologically.

Some recommend that if you are new to Terry's work, start with Equal Rites and after you had read that, go back to Colour of Magic and Light Fantastic. The first two books are not quite so well polished as the later ones and some readers might find them a bit tedious, thus turning them away from Sit Terry's further novels. You will not have missed much if you start with Equal Rites and you can always go back to the first two if you wish afterwards. :3

I had the luck of picking a novel that was standalone for the first book that I ever read from Sir Terry (it was Small Gods) and that drew me into exploring his other books. I didn't realize at the time that there were both series relating to certain characters and standalone novels following a single character in one of the many countries of Discworld, so my reading was a bit haphazard until I got the hang of it.

As I said, I love the witches and the City Watch but I also enjoyed the adventures of Moist Von Lipwig and Adora Belle Dearheart and Rincewind and the wizards of the Unseen University, so in my opinion, pick something to start with and then just read all of them if you can, because you won't be disappointed.

There are 41 novels in the Discworld series.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Back to Forum -> Entertainment All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1