Tip or No Tip?
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page Jump:
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Back to Forum -> The Scholar's Room [Nov.'19]
Riley

Dedicated Citizen
Wed Jul 24, 2013 6:13 am
I know some people who tip their servers regardless of the service they received. I know some people who base the tip they give on the service provided.

I am of the opinion that if your job is a job of service, any tip I give means that you gave above and beyond normal service. You will not starve because you did not get enough tips; you'll get paid if you do your job.

How do you feel about tipping? What if the service was bad? Etc.
Wed Jul 24, 2013 5:16 pm
I'll give a recent example:

My boyfriend and I were hanging out at his place and were thinking about what to eat for dinner. The both of us and his 2 younger brothers all decided that ordering pizza was a good option. So he called up the place (sadly they know him by name XD ) and ordered, with the usual "It will be about 30 minutes" reply.

Also recently I was reading an article about life as a delivery driver, written by a man who has been a delivery "boy" for 15 years. He explained how tips are not just a nice gesture but that is their paycheck. They are not just delivering your pizza but they very well might be the people who made your pizza too.

Tips go a long way if you start to become a regular at a restaurant or ordering over the phone. If you tip well, the pizza man will remember you and possibly get to your house first without stopping for a bathroom break or taking the long way. He will make there is enough gas in the tank to get to your house in the least amount of time possible so your food is steaming hot. If he is the one making your pizza, he might put extra cheese or toppings on it for free.

My boyfriend and I, always tip $10 because we know they are using their money for gas and because we get amazing service. I timed the last one and I think we had it arrive between 10-15 minutes, which seem about right because it takes 10 minutes to get to his house from mine, and the pizza place is an extra 5.

At restaurants it is a bit different for me. I always tip the correct amount which means you did your job, and over-tipping means the service was above and beyond. I've never had too bad of service though thankfully. What I have experience is the waiter/waitress takes a while to clear off the table to give me room for my plates and extra drinks, or they did not greet my family and I in a welcoming manner.

I understand there will be bad days, and especially for the females I know how bad it can be working long, late shifts when its that time of month, but that should not interfere with work, especially if you are competing for tips. To get a higher tip out of me means whenever you walk by after checking up on another table, ask if the food is great and if we need anything to help us continue our good night. Clear plates if they are empty and fill our drinks, maybe even stay back for a little bit to engage in a quick conversation.

I can tell the difference between someone who is serving us because its their job, and someone who is serving us and at the same time, interested in and taking care of the people who they are serving. That difference right there will decide whether they get the average tip or above and beyond.

Dedicated Citizen
Wed Jul 24, 2013 5:45 pm
I'll agree with you to a point and that point is where you are wrong. There are jobs out there that do not get payed minimum wage and depend on tips to supplement their pay.

They may not starve but they sure would be homeless at $3-4 an hour without tips.

Ok there are not that many jobs that do this but even minimum wage isn't enough to have a strong living. Many jobs like Bartender or Pizza Delivery would possibly make livable amounts with tips. Another thing about Pizza delivery though is they have to pay for their own gas. That would suck without tips.

So above and beyond normal service means many people just wouldn't be payed.

Wed Jul 24, 2013 6:02 pm
See, if I had more money, I'd be more inclined to leave tips and I really feel bad when I can't leave one, ESPECIALLY if the service was good. I've also heard that most people who work as delivery people or waiter/waitress jobs get paid less than minimum and they're supposed to make up the difference in tips, which I think is a little unjust because not everyone is able to tip or can afford it.

From what I heard, there's a waiter job here in town and, I believe when I asked what they got paid, it was a couple dollars below minimum.

Now, if I was ABLE to always leave tips, there is a point when I would not tip. So, for example, how busy is the place that I'm currently in? Is the waiter or waitress running about trying to help other people or, should they be at my table because I'm out of my drink and the place is dead? If it's busy, I'm more forgiving. There's a lot of other tables to help and there's a lot more that needs to be done. I can understand that. It's a busy time and they have other customers.

Now, if the place is dead and they show no excitement what so ever to be serving me? That's a bit different. I've smiled and been nice on my bad days and they should at least be able to do the same. I mean, if they're out right rude or not even polite about trying to help me, there's something to be said about that too. Yes, they need to make tips to make a living, but, at the same time, if you need to put yourself forward to make your tips, you really need to show that you're interested in your job.

Of course, this would all factor around the fact that I need money for tips. >w<; I'm glad I'll be getting a job soon and that I'll be able to actually tip because I always feel so bad when I can't. :/ Seriously, really good service should be rewarded.

Defender of the Realm
Wed Jul 24, 2013 6:04 pm
Actually there are some States that allow companies to pay below minimum wage if they are in a "tipping" job. . .I had a friend who was a bartender in New York City and he received only $2.00 an hour plus tips. . .another friend said it is the same in Florida. . .which really doesn't seem fair as there are no guarantees that they will be tipped.

In Vegas, so many jobs are considered tip jobs, but they at least pay minimum wage plus. . .though, in some cases, the IRS has determined what the average tips should be and the people are taxed on that amount (even during hard financial times).

I don't think because someone is in a 'tipping' job, that they should automatically be tipped. . .I tip based on service. . .for good service, I will tip between 15 to 25%. . .for poor service, I will tip a penny (yes, a penny. . it is a sign that I am aware that you work for tips, but that your service is sadly lacking).

I also hate hearing some of the tip people complaining about getting stiffed or how cheap these people are or that those people are the poorest tippers, etc., etc., etc. It shows me that those people complaining are probably giving poor service or think that they are due a tip just because they are there (especially among dealers (poker, black jack, etc.).

The highest verified tip that I know of was $150,000.00 given to a cocktail waitress by a very famous "Whale" (rich gambler). . .there have been all types of unverified "big" tips, but that one I know of as several cocktail waitresses at work still talk about it.

I believe whether you tip or not is a personal thing IMHO.

Wed Jul 24, 2013 6:11 pm
Moon I agree with you on everything except the last sentence. I am sure I am missing your point altogether and not catching it, but the last sentence confused me. Do you think you can expand on that a bit?

In my head I'm thinking above and beyond normal service would get you a bigger tip, thus more people would be paid not the opposite.

Knight of Zantarni
Wed Jul 24, 2013 6:16 pm
I don't order food to be delivered unless I can afford a tip as well. I think the delivery person earns it by going through the weather to bring food to you. Also, my last apartment was on the third floor...they earned a tip climbing all those stairs. Yes

For waiters and waitresses, I think average and above service should be tipped. Below average should get less, poor service should get a penny. (Just as Scarz says, this lets them know that you know to tip, but that you don't feel it was earned in this case.) Before anyone feels guilty about tipping less, I was a waitress for a while (many, many moons ago...), and tips are a learning device. You learn quickly that certain things get you better tips, and you adjust.

Dedicated Citizen
Wed Jul 24, 2013 6:16 pm
Ivy: Riley said any tip she gives is for above and beyond normal service. This implies an average person wouldn't get payed.

Last edited by WishingMoon on Wed Jul 24, 2013 7:13 pm; edited 1 time in total
Wed Jul 24, 2013 7:12 pm

*wanders on in at seeing her name Mentioned*
..? Moonie, O.o? I didn't post in here yet. XD *giggles*

"How do you feel about tipping? What if the service was bad? Etc."
I personally will tip if person has been nice, courteous, and are a timely as much as they can possibly be with the amount of customers they have. Though I don't generally have much money to tip by the end of the meal. So I don't go by any percentage of the price. I usually tip a couple bucks if I can afford to. If I get extremely poor service and my waiter is hardly there especially if there are not that many customers, then I would expect to see my waiter around more.

Though I am just as wiling to tip the person who takes my order at a fast food restaurant if they are allowing it. If my person taking my order has a huge line and is able to take the orders effectively and in an awesome manner and get it done quickly, they I want to tip that person too.

On the subject of tips, gas and driving. My friend was a taxi driver for a bit, and a lot of what he lived off of was tips, because they have to pay for there taxi license, once every 6 months, and then on top of that they have to pay the cab rent every day, and gas for the day on top of it, and making sure there is a full tank in the car.

But same goes for there, if I have the extra money and they did a decent to a great job bringing me home, I'm going to tip them with the couple extra bucks I have left. But if they took a long time to get to me, or are taking all the longer roads, they are not going to get the tip from me cause they intentionally took the longer rout to get more money. (This is why I always intentionally tell the cab drivers to take the quickest route.)

Holy Moly Sir Scarz That is one enormousness Tip. o.o
I also agree with you about the penny tipping, though usual I do 2 pennies, as it is a symbol of my 2 cents of how I felt the service was.

I agree with you Pagan, I always try to tip a delivery person if I can manage too. Especially since it is coming out of their gas.

Only on two occasions have I have gotten take out and had to pay 0$ an that is because both places said 30-45 minutes, and I ended up waiting over an hour and a half. for my pizza, and for my Chinese food on those two occasions. and because of it, they ended up giving us our food for free. granted it was my friend that ordered but they were have it delivered to my place for us. I do feel really bad for the driver when that happens, because he/she ends up getting the brunt force of it.

(70/42 posts for today)

Dedicated Citizen
Wed Jul 24, 2013 7:16 pm
Keres: My bad. XD Reflexes and not paying attention.
Wed Jul 24, 2013 7:40 pm

Hehe now worries, I figured it was because were were just talking in the other thread. XD Gave me a great excuse to come and post in there though. :3

(80/42 posts for today)

Last edited by keres corvax on Thu Jul 25, 2013 1:05 am; edited 1 time in total
Scarz

Defender of the Realm
Wed Jul 24, 2013 7:43 pm
keres corvax wrote:
I also agree with you about the penny tipping, though usual I do 2 pennies, as it is a symbol of my 2 cents of how I felt the service was.

I like that idea, milady. . .
Thu Jul 25, 2013 1:06 am

Thank you Sir Scarz., it was one of the things that my grandmother taught me.

(196/42 posts for today)

Thu Jul 25, 2013 1:19 am
Just my two cents as a waitress...
I always tip, even if the person has been, well, not that great (now, mind you if they've gone way out of their way to be rude, the tip will be under my normal 20-25% tip).

My reason being I actually work at a restaurant that only pays me $3.11 an hour. I have to make up my money in tips and my tips get subtracted out of my paycheck (not really right for the business to subtract all of my tips, but at the current point in time I can't find another job. I'm leaving for school in 2 weeks). Because most of my salary comes from tips I always try to go above and beyond for my customers. And no, I don't always get tipped. But rather than fussing about it and harping on it I try to think about what I could do better. I've gotten tips from one cent all the way to $20 for a $5 meal. XD It just depends on the person (and a lot of the time it depends on whether or not the customers actually know that we make our money off of tips rather than our $3.11 per hour).

I do think that tipping is based on the person. It doesn't offend me when I don't get tips. I get a little bit disappointed with myself sometimes, but never the person. I do also understand that not everyone can tip their waiter/waitress too.
~Dusty

^ A Charity
Thu Jul 25, 2013 2:37 am

I completely understand where you are coming from Dusty. and I can honestly say that I have only twice in my life tip with only two cents. But that was sincerely because my waiters those days probably should have stayed home because of how rude and inconsiderate they were to my table as well as the tables around me, as well as the kitchens. I imagine they were probably having a bad day, but they certainly didn't need to take it out on everyone around them. Yes

I think I honestly feel the most bad on days that I can not even afford to tip.

(219/42 posts for today)

Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page Jump:
Page 1 of 3