Seat Belts: Forced or Choiced?
Goto page 1, 2, 3 ... 3, 4, 5  Next
Page Jump:
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Back to Forum -> The Scholar's Room [Nov.'19]

Should wearing a seat belt be your own choice or forced by law?
My own choice.
51%
 51%  [ 25 ]
Forced by law.
48%
 48%  [ 24 ]
Total Votes : 49

Wed May 19, 2010 5:00 am
Okay, so I just suddenly started thinking more about seat belts and wondered how everyone felt about them.
So, the question here?
What is your view on seat belts? Should it be a choice for people to wear them or should it be forced in by laws and such?

I, personally, think it should be a choice. Yes, I always wear a seat belt, but I do believe people should have the choice to whether or not they wish to wear one.

My father has never worn a seat belt and throughout the vehicle accidents he has been into it was always stated that if he were to have worn a seat belt, he surely would have died.
So it's still 50/50 chance at life or death whether you choose to wear a seat belt or not. So if it's still a chance at death even being forced to wear a seat belt, shouldn't it be our choice to be able to wear one or not?
I also had a cousin who was in a vehicle accident and his car flipped three times. He was wearing a seat belt, but he died.
My brother was in a vehicle accident and his truck flipped three times. He was not wearing a seat belt, but he is not dead. He walked away with just a minor cut on his head.

So see? It's a chance at life or death regardless. So if it's still a chance either way, shouldn't it be OUR choice to go one way or the other without being punished for it?
Although my father walked away from a vehicle accident with his life, my mother proudly paid his seat belt violation.

Dedicated Citizen
Thu May 20, 2010 5:40 pm
I am of the opinion that seat belts save more lives.

Also, say that a person was in a car wreck and got thrown from the car because he or she wasn't wearing a seat belt. The person's body becomes a weapon and can cause damage to an innocent person. Or that person could die.

I've also never been in an accident before (thank God) but I'm fine with my seat belt :3
Fri May 21, 2010 2:42 am
Suicide is also entirely an option.

It is the law's duty to ensure the safety of it's citizens, insomuch as it possibly can. And in this case, as Miss Riley alluded to, they are supposed to protect everyone on the road and ensure that the highway doesn't turn into a game of bumper-car pile-up.

So, I dunno about being all up in your face about it, but it's probably a more of a beneficial idea. Besides, the odds are hardly 50/50 and depend mostly on who's driving.

Truth be told, it is a choice to wear a seat belt. The law is there to protect people, you don't want to wear a seat belt, you don't get caught. But just know it makes you more of a liability to other persons.
Sun May 23, 2010 9:48 pm
You can never be "forced" by law to wear a seat belt. You can be fined and scolded but in the end it is essentially your choice whether you wear it or not. Personally I think not wearing a seat belt is a stupid choice though. (Of course keep in mind that this is my opinion and I mean no offense to anyone Smile) But if your in a violent car crash and you are wearing a seat belt as advised, chances are good that it will keep you in your seat safely surrounded by a couple tons of protective metal and plastics. That's part of what the vehicles frame is designed to do - protect you from outside objects. If you are NOT wearing a seat belt and you end up thrown from the vehicle, what protection do you have? Nothing.

I will now share the story of my 1 and only vehicular accident and why I ALWAYS wear my seat belt now. I was 18 and was driving to school in the early morning. I was tired, had a classic immortality complex, and was driving (half asleep) like a moron. I rounded a corner that leaned to the outside rather than the inside like most corners do. All I remember after that was the smell of grass, dirt, and twisting metal (yes I distinctly remember smelling the metal twisting around me). From what I gathered later, I fishtailed, hit an embankment and flipped the car over on it's roof. I had a CD player on my lap which was broadcasting to a radio frequency which I was listening to... they found it (and my glasses) some 50 feet from the car. Even though the car was totaled with the roof collapsed in I survived. In fact, the only injuries I sustained were a few scratches from taking off my seat belt and falling into the glass on the roof. I know for a fact that if I hadn't been wearing my seat belt I would have been thrown from the vehicle along with my CD player and glasses. So yeah that's the story behind my choice to always wear my seat belt.

The Firemerlin's Quest for the Shinies ^_^
Wed Jun 02, 2010 11:25 pm
Forced. Seatbelts should be safer, but you're risking your own life and others by not wearing a seatbelt.

My fiance told me about an accident that happened where 2 backs seaters didn't wear their seatbelts. The people in front of them would have lived, but they flew forward and into the heads of the front seaters. Their skulls were smashed in.
Thu Jun 24, 2010 12:10 am
As has been said previously, while you can be required by law to wear seat belts depending on which country you live in, you can still chose to break those laws.

However they do save lives. An example of this can be found in Australia where the introduction of laws requiring everyone to wear seat belt cut the nations road toll significantly (sorry, I don't know the exact figures, but I have seen them).
WishingMoon

Dedicated Citizen
Thu Jun 24, 2010 12:25 am
Pretty much what Kay said. Forced. Its all well and good to make choices that endanger yourself. How ever the second another person can be affected and killed by your choice it becomes a series matter.

If you have ever watched car crash simulations you can see how bad it gets. Everyone in a car can die because one person didn't wear their seat belt.

Thu Jun 24, 2010 12:38 am
Forced. Ever had your car fall into a lake or mining pit? I have. I. HATE. SEATBELTS.
Sat Jun 26, 2010 7:50 pm
As others have said, it's your choice if you want to wear the seatbelt. I the US, you can get fined and scolded, but ultimately you cannot be MADE to wear it. I like it, but I can also see that there are times where it would be detrimental to wear one.

Personally, after being in an accident where the car flipped and knowing that I would have ended up on the ceiling with a cracked head at the least has made me want to wear it more. I used to wear only my lap-belt (because those things are made for adults, not kids, and the body strap was aggravating) but now that I drive I wear the whole thing, and I feel that is has served me well.

I draw! Look me up on dA: LainaInverse
Sun Jun 27, 2010 3:17 pm
Safety belts are made for your protection and shouldn't be forced on you. Whether you want to wear them or not is your choice, but why not put one on? is it really so difficult to strap a belt on?it can save your life.

Last edited by Petra2 on Sun Jun 27, 2010 10:46 pm; edited 1 time in total
Sun Jun 27, 2010 3:49 pm
It's nice to know you guys think of everyone's safety, but the doctors said that if my father was wearing a seat belt, he would of been crushed along with his truck. The truck was totally destroyed. He was flung out from the seat in the back window and was lucky to be alive.
I still think it's a 50/50 chance. You cannot predict how your life is going to turn out on the accident because you didn't know that it was to happen.
Yes, seat belts may save several lives but in more cases, not wearing a seat belt could have saved even more. I don't know how many times I've heard stories about people accidentally driving off into a river and drowned because they couldn't get their seat belt off of them. I suppose in this type of case they should invent a seat belt that auto-releases when the vehicle hits water.

I wear a seat belt. At all times. Not because it is the law to do so, but because it is my choice to do so. I have been in only two accidents. I was involved in a hit and run where a vehicle decided to pull out in front of me as I was doing 45mph and it was raining. I saw them ahead of time and tried stopping but due to the rain, I ended up sliding into them. I was wearing a seat belt and only received minor whip lash. The next accident was when I was a kid and I was driving a go-cart and crashed head on into the front porch. I was wearing a seat belt then and I ended up chipping a tooth and basically giving myself a lip piercing. X]
So yeah, I do believe it's a 50/50 chance at anything regardless if you're wearing a seat belt or not.

And not trying to be mean, but I also believe that it's only the law so that the law could basically have "control" over the people. More laws, more breakers thus more breakers paying fines and giving more money. It's all about power.

My mother was happy enough to pay a seat belt fine just to know my father survived. He's been in several vehicular accidents and survived everyone of them because of not wearing a seat belt. And if he had of been wearing a seat belt, he would have died and been crushed inside the trucks.
And to show you guys how badly the accident was, the next time I go over to my parents house, I'll grab a copy of the picture of the truck he was in. You won't even believe it because you won't see his truck because it's underneath and crushed under a diesel.

Dedicated Citizen
Sun Jun 27, 2010 9:32 pm
Well you do have a few good points but I would hope you remember just how much money was spent testing seat belts before the law even came about. And how much is still being spent to test it.

Then I just want to say, your father may have the luck of the gods to survive those accidents, but I have meet, kinda, many people who have brain damage and many other problems for the exact same kind of situation.

Sun Jun 27, 2010 9:50 pm
True. My mother is always teasing him that if she ever wanted to get rid of him, she would fail every time. Har. And I didn't think about the testings. Good point.
Sun Jun 27, 2010 10:07 pm
Forced. People are stupid. (If you didn't already know.)
Wed Jul 07, 2010 9:27 pm
Forced. People die without seatbelts, end of story. I don't support suicide, and I therefore support seatbelts.
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Back to Forum -> The Scholar's Room [Nov.'19] All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2, 3 ... 3, 4, 5  Next
Page Jump:
Page 1 of 5