Young People These Days
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page Jump:
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Back to Forum -> The Scholar's Room [Nov.'19]
Riley

Dedicated Citizen
Fri Jan 03, 2014 3:48 am
My husband and I went to the movies yesterday and saw, The Secret Life of Walter Mitty. We both that it was a pretty good movie; we both really enjoy movies that tell a good story by good acting, good story, and good character development. You know, not the typical explosion/action film.

It was only us and a group of three younger guys. When the movie was over, on their way out, we heard them say, "That was gay." Their descriptive choice aside, do younger people appreciate things that don't explode? Do younger people still read? I feel old in saying this, but it feels like the next generation is not going to have some appreciation or patience for certain things. Or in some cases that I have seen and experienced, manners. Please tell me I'm wrong....?
Fri Jan 03, 2014 4:09 am
Uhm I'm not sure how young they were but age has nothing to do with it. I could say the same thing about older people. Today an older gentleman was talking about how he was sick of interracial marriages taking over.

Well, considering that people are a lot more free than they were a long time ago, he's definitely in the wrong era to talk about that.

I think it's just certain people are like that. I don't think it's the young generation. I mean honestly if we go there I could easily blame your generation and all the older ones for our problems, but that's not going to change any thing.

I think we need to get away from the mindset that young people will not appreciate things or otherwise you'll place the stigma on them. I dunno, just my opinion.

Old people do the same things as young people. It's not an age thing, it's a personality and behavior thing.
Riley

Dedicated Citizen
Fri Jan 03, 2014 4:26 am
Fair point, though I'm not talking about "blaming" anyone for anything. I'm talking about the younger generation having an appreciation for culture, for art, for enriching one's life. etc. I am hoping that there are still kids and young adults, out there that still appreciate those sorts of things. I was not saying that young people don't appreciate things, I was asking if they do. I'm hoping that we, as a society, don't grow numb to the world because we have been razzle dazzled by technology so much that we have forgotten to appreciate the things around us. Because when each generation passes, a little more seems to be lost to the next generation.
Fri Jan 03, 2014 4:34 am
Ah I see. I don't think we have. I think eventually people will come to understand technology isn't everything. it is useful but it is not. I mean people still love to read actual books aside from e-readers, or like me combine the both. I think it'll just take time for those who are way too into technology to realize that it's not everything, but I think it's already slowly happening.
Fri Jan 03, 2014 2:12 pm
Technology has a lot to do with it I'm sure. We've become so heavily dependent on it and the instant gratification it offers that we sometimes lose the patience to deal with anything that doesn't offer that instant feeling of gratification.

But then technology does a lot of good too. We live in a time where it's possible to instantly share things with someone on the other side of the planet; we're among the most knowledgeable of any generation no matter what older generations say. All too often they just can't see past the screen we might be looking at to see what all we're experiencing through it. Being able to share things with others around the world so easily also gives hope for a better world free from so many of the hardships it's faced and continues to face. It will still take awhile, but we're on the way.

Fri Jan 03, 2014 10:50 pm
I think that There are a lot of young people out there that appreciate culture and art. Though I have often felt that a lot of them won't appreciate it until they get older. not that they can't now.

It's hard to sometimes have the patience to deal with those that don't appreciate it. But that is just what you have to do. most come around

I went with my niece to the grocery store once and when she got some change she threw in out in the parking lot cause it was a lot of pennies...her reasoning it was just pennies nothing important, now three kids later she realizes the value of those pennies and what they can do for her.
WishingMoon

Dedicated Citizen
Fri Jan 03, 2014 11:29 pm
-snorts- Every generation EVER has said the same thing about the generation after them.

And just what does young count in this conversation? My generation (barely in their 20's) or younger?

Either way I'm going to say you are just noticing what you don't agree with.

There are complaints about teens being on the internet all the time, which I'm not a teen but I am online all the time and have been since my teen years, and them not knowing how to socialize because of it. I'll tell you as a younger person that isn't true, we would love to go somewhere and hang out away from adults. We are just not allowed.

It all depends on where you are looking. Every December there is a huge movement on youtube for charity that is made up of mostly younger individuals trying to support the charities they believe in. I could easily say the generation before me has never had a huge charity movement and say they are less caring then my generation. I'm not going to be that narrow minded though. Just because the access isn't the same doesn't mean they didn't have their own way of supporting others.

I had quite a few friends in highschool, not all that long ago, that wouldn't go anywhere without a book in their bag. I'm one of those types myself.

Yes e-readers are going to take over, they don't take up space, they allow you to save resources in making them, they allow for self publishing. I happen to love paper books but I will not let that get in the way of knowing what is important, the words.

I can tell you right now those teens you can't relate to now where your friends in highschool. You had something you that was stupid because you where a kid. You just don't see it now because you are on the other side.

Dedicated Citizen
Mon Jan 06, 2014 6:20 am
I see what you're saying. My husband and I continued the conversation the next day and it was along the same lines as what you said. The experiences people go through in life as they get older help them determine what's important to them (hopefully that made some sort of sense). He used the example of one of my friends, who is about five years younger than me. I've experienced more rites of passages, as it were: moving out of my parent's house, getting married, buying my own house, learning how to maintain said house, etc. When I look at it from that way, it makes sense to me that life experiences and age shape what we value and appreciate.
Scarz

Defender of the Realm
Mon Jan 06, 2014 7:09 am
It is also possible that the 'kids' went to the movie because the previews looked interesting, but then the movie didn't live up to 'their' expectations. . .
Mon Jan 06, 2014 12:06 pm
I have only seen the trailer to this movie and I really want to see it. However I dont think the movie is directed towards teenage viewers, maybe more mature teenagers and adults with a brain. The movie probably did not live up to their expectations (as Sir Scarz has said) but also, everyone is entitled to their opinion and everyone's tastes are different. Me personally, I love movies like this and carry a novel around with me and my kindle along with a sketch pad and a small tin of pencils. But that's me and I think it is unfair to expect everyone to like a movie just because you did.

Dedicated Citizen
Mon Jan 06, 2014 6:05 pm
Scarz has a great point too. What where those teenagers expecting to see?

Dedicated Citizen
Mon Jan 06, 2014 11:51 pm
Absynthe - Oh, I know full well people are allowed to like what they want to like and dislike whatever they want to. In the case of movies, it is easy to through CG around, blow things up and call it a day. It's not so easy to tell a good story with character development. However, I'm not saying people must like what I like. I was simply wondering if people, more specifically the younger people, are going to have or are going to find an appreciation for the more subtle things, or have an interest in the arts, or history, or have a desire to expand their culture. And that musing goes towards everyone, regardless of age. What sparked this conversation with my husband was the movie we saw and the age of those who decided they didn't like it (which, they are most definitely allowed to do). My husband and I do a lot of things together, and we usually see young people portraying themselves in a not so favorable manner. We know that not all young people do that, we know that our thoughts and feelings are our opinions and may not be shared by others. But, in our experiences, it is the younger crowed that causes us to scratch our heads and wonder 'why?'.

I'm not sure what they were expecting to see, to be honest. The previews were interesting but if I wanted to know more about a movie, I know how to use Google. Perhaps they were bored....?
WishingMoon

Dedicated Citizen
Tue Jan 07, 2014 1:15 am
For once I don't agree with googling. I don't believe it will really tell you what you need to know about a movie, not to mention spoilers.

Dedicated Citizen
Tue Jan 07, 2014 8:21 pm
I tend to look up movies on IMDB to get a better idea of the story if I'm not sure about it. That way, I can avoid spoilers.
Tue Feb 18, 2014 5:55 pm
Sorry, but I really don't think the younger generation is screwed, though I probably will some day. I think it's just how people are. Once they get older, the look at the younger generations and never really like what they see.

You know what's funny? Because of texting, kids reading a writing more. More texts, obviously, but reading and writing is no longer considered a chore. Kids still pass along interesting books to one another. They can still appreciate the finer things in life. I admit that a lot can't appreciate good cinema, but that's not restrained to only kids. A lot of people of all ages only go to the movies to be entertained and are not very interested in actual good stories and such.

I actually get very annoyed with people talking about 'kids these days' because you know what? 'Kids these days' are kids from every single day and age, just like kids were idiots in your day and age. Maybe you were that idiot. The up and coming generations are no different. They will go through their own periods of idiocy, but will probably grow up to be decent people just like almost everyone else.
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Back to Forum -> The Scholar's Room [Nov.'19] All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page Jump:
Page 1 of 2