Volunteering/Charities
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Back to Forum -> The Scholar's Room [Nov.'19]
Tue Feb 21, 2012 11:32 am
I'm kind of curious.
To you, fair citizen of Zantarni --

What is a worthy cause for a charity?
What sort of cause would you donate towards or volunteer for?
Have you done volunteer work in the past?
Do you feel some causes attract too much attention?
Do you feel some causes attract too little attention?

I volunteer with an animal shelter in Japan. We take in cats and do Trap, Neuter, Return in our community. After the earthquake struck Japan we also became active in animal rescue in the area. We've brought about 400 animals out of the area, sent them to alternate shelters or re-homed them ourselves.

Pretty much directly after the quake, I had a couple of people ask me why I was focused on animals when there were so many people in need. Which was a tough question.

I mean, I had my answer ready. I *knew* people who were in animal rescue, I was already doing it, and I didn't have the ability to take off from work and travel up to Tohoku or the area near the nuclear power plant (Zantarni censored the word last time I tried to use it -- I give up). But there was stuff going on in my area, and in English. It was something I could do and do well. So I did it. But I do understand the unease. Far as I can figure doing something is infinitely better than doing nothing. And I think there are people better-suited for the people work that needs doing. But sometimes I wish I could go up there and help with re-building. Or with the people who are volunteering from my group and who are in that area all the time.

Dedicated Citizen
Wed Feb 22, 2012 7:11 am
I think that's a bit difficult to answer. I think it is hard to put a label on things that are worthy or unworthy. Anything charities give are gifts and so they are free to give to whomever they so please.

I believe there is very little that I would not donate to or volunteer for if money and time were of no object.

I have volunteered at a food shelter, donated to a food shelter and I currently donate to Child Fund International. If I had more time and money, I would give so much more.

Yes and no. I don't know what it is like to run a charity so I don't know how hard it is to get funds and whatnot. Some charities might be a bit too shamless in their advertising but that might be because they are in need of funds to keep the charity running. I don't know.

If they attract too little attention then I'm sure no one has heard of them. I would imagine that every charity and cause need a significant amount of advertising to get their name out in the world.
Sat Feb 25, 2012 10:50 pm

I would feel any charity helping finding cures of any illness/disease, children who suffer from abuse/homeless nor animals who need the help would be the most worthy. There are many people out there who get cancer and other killer diseases who can't afford the treatment and many of them happen to be young children whose only chances of surviving happen to be surgeries in other countries. Most of the charities involving animals usually are the ones that help rehome abused animals who have been rescued from their tormentors and the donations go toward to treating the animal so they can have a second chance.

Since I have had a cousin and other family members die from cancer, I would gladly donate to any charity that helps raises funds to develop a cure for cancer. I also as willing to help the charities that work with animals if I have the spare money, we adopted a cat who had been abused as a kitten and it's heartbreaking to see what someone robbed from her just by mistreating her. Most of the children ones, I don't know.. it depends really.. if someone stopped and talked to me on the street, than yes but through tv.. probably not.

Currently involved in volunteering right now, I am temp. head of the books till the other girl returns, if she does.

In a way, yes.. some of the causes I have seen I feel really don't need a charity for.. like young women who go out and are stupid enough not to use protection.. if you are not smart enough to remember to use the rubber.. and usually young mothers do get help through the government or do what my friend did, put the baby up for adoption or get a job.

All depends.. some charities might not be as big named but usually you will hear something about them.
Mon Apr 09, 2012 12:26 am
Q: What is a worthy cause for a charity?
A: Anything that contributes to making the world better in at least one small way. So long as it is making things better I think it is a worthy cause.

Q: What sort of cause would you donate towards or volunteer for?
A: I have volunteered my time at my church. I sometimes help take care of kids, but I mostly do the cleaning there. It does not take much time, as it is a small church, but it helps a lot.

Q: Have you done volunteer work in the past?
A: Not much, no. Other than occasionally working in the church nursery as mentioned above, I did not get out much.

Q: Do you feel some causes attract too much attention?
A: Definitely. Some causes just seem so superfluous at best and other completely needless or even harmful. Example? Coke's current charity focusing on polar bears. Don't get me wrong, I love polar bears but Coke could do so much more with the money they get, especially considering the sheer amount of cash Coke can generate even in a short amount of time. Polar bears do need help, but the money and attention could be put to better use. Not much Coke can do about the bears declining habitat, really.

Q: Do you feel some causes attract too little attention?
A: Too many to count. Look close enough and you will find need everywhere. I would say as a specific example charities for Alzheimer's research. It's a **** of a disease, and many people would prefer to pretend it doesn't exist. Another example would be charities for protecting the water supply. I live in Michigan, surrounded by some of the largest freshwater lakes in the world and I can practically hear the metaphorical sharks circling. There are always factories dumping their waste in, or some company wanting to install a giant pipe to pump water out for their profits.
Sun Jun 17, 2012 8:05 pm
Good for you, working for the animal rescue! Thats what i would have been doing too.
I volunteer for the animal sanctuary near my house. Its really great, we have dogs and cats, and they are able to live out their days without having to worry about being put down. The work that i do there is anything from picking up poo to walking dogs and feeding animals. I also volunteer at the spay and neuter clinics,i think this is important work also. Where i live, there is an animal over population problem, and a lot of the animals are mistreated, so spay and neuter is a really important thing.There is also a lot of TNR programs here too. ^^

Fri Jul 27, 2012 4:11 am
--Really anything that can help those in need I would think would be a worthy cause, though I sometimes wonder if the smaller, more local ones might be more successful if there was ever a comparative sort of study done, especially for things like money donated vs. how much actually gets to whomever/whatever it's being donated to.

--My great-aunt and I get letters from all sorts of organizations, so we have to pick and choose wisely (especially since we're mostly living on her retirement income since I don't have a job right now). We usually go with military charities for the men and women who are still in service or veterans, especially since she was in the Navy. We also sometimes give to animal causes, and whenever I donate hair to Locks of Love I try to give a little money too.

--I've put in hundreds of hours with elementary (primarily kindergarten) classes, and I have done a little outside of that, but I haven't done any volunteer work lately. I'd like to work with animals or maybe at a local shelter.

--Some of the big ones probably get too much attention just because they're so well known. Some do good works, but some I've heard have some questionable practices.

--I'm sure a lot of them do, mostly because they're probably smaller or more localized ones. It's a pity of course, especially when the causes have lasting impacts for larger areas, but it just seems to happen when there are so many causes/charities/etc. and only so much time, money, and resources that can be put into something.
Tue Nov 07, 2017 7:54 pm
i used to donate to the aspca but now i just donate to the no kill shelter here where i live
Page 1 of 1