0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
Only run the Color Run 5K
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
Run both the Zombie and Color Run 5Ks
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
Run... at all? You're crazier than I thought!
50%
 50%  [ 3 ]
Are you seriously considering TWO 5Ks in one day? o_0
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
Total Votes : 6

Blazestorm

Queen of the Realm
Thu Oct 18, 2018 8:28 pm
... that is the question.

Two weeks ago, the younger prince convinced me to register for a 5K sponsored by the local fire department. The race is Saturday, and although my times are certainly nothing to brag about, and I'm still taking breaks instead of running the 5k through, I'm getting there. And, after all, it has been only two weeks to go from "couch" to 5k.

He wants to do more.

And if I've already put in all this effort, I figure I might as well continue as well and register for a couple more races... keep the momentum going and all that...

One of the races we're considering is in two weeks from this weekend... and it's a whammy - not only is the race a zombie race where you periodically get chased by zombies trying to steal your "flags of life" from your belt (or I could be a zombie, trying to steal the life flags from runners), but the race organizers have issued a challenge - run the zombie 5K in the morning, and then run a color run 5K the same afternoon.

SO -
- do I register for both races?
- do I become a zombie for the morning and protect my assigned "area"? Or remain human and run the whole 5k, dodging zombies as I go?
- do I skip the morning race and just run the fun color 5k in the afternoon (risking hot Florida mid-day sun)?
- have I completely lost my mind? (yes)
- other ideas?

Dedicated Citizen
Thu Oct 18, 2018 11:55 pm
I live vicariously through people who run XD. I have to avoid high impact activities.

I would think of how you would feel after running both 5Ks. If you think you might really be hurting after both, I would consider being a zombie for the first one and running the second one. But if you think that won't be a problem, why not do both?

The zombie 5K sounds super fun!

Avi Vote
bohemian

Dedicated Citizen
Fri Oct 19, 2018 10:22 am
You could do both. Run in the morning and walk in the afternoon one. I mean, it doesn't specify that you have to actual run in these 5ks. At least around here you don't have to lol. It just depends on what you feel like you can do. I mean, how long do you need to be a zombie for? Is it going to clash between the races?

I'm putting more thought into this than my uni work...which is getting zero thought right now. XD
Rayven: *gets hit in the face with some underwear* Wow Bo sure likes to get naked! XD
8145/10000
Blazestorm

Queen of the Realm
Fri Oct 19, 2018 12:20 pm
The two of you are echoing the various thoughts I'm having about this! The zombie one might be a little more strenuous than I'm used to, having to dodge zombies on an unknown trail just when I really need to take a short break from running. But really, the worst case scenario is if I run as a human and I lose my "life" flags, I don't get the extra award for coming out of the race "alive". If I do the zombie thing, I'm not sure how that'll pan out or what's really required *envisions getting smacked because I scare somebody too much or because somebody is really competitive*.

Color Runs are usually fun and low-key, and yes, that's what I'm thinking - I could always walk most of it if I'm too wiped out from the zombie race in the morning. It might be a good way to stretch out the muscles from the morning's efforts...

I've done several mud/obstacle course 5Ks in the past too (a few years ago now)... and the more I think about it, I'm thinking that doing both these races with a three hour break in between can't be much more strenuous than doing one 5K amid various funky and often challenging obstacles to overcome!

I'll probably sign up for both - but I want to see what happens tomorrow (eek!) at this Fire Department 5K first. Running outside is a little different than running on a treadmill (which is what I have been doing just to get some kind of training in and endurance built up!)

And no, you don't have to run for these kinds of 5Ks, Bo - they're for fun, and there are plenty of moms pushing strollers for most of this type of thing (not sure that's the case for the zombie run). My personal challenge is to get through the course(s) in one piece, running as much of it as I can without absolutely killing myself, and knowing that I'm doing the best *I* can on that day. I'm not competing against anyone but myself and I have no illusions about being a "top finisher" for gender or age bracket! XD

Why do you live vicariously through runners, Riley (if you don't mind my asking? - you do martial arts, don't you?)

Dedicated Citizen
Fri Oct 19, 2018 12:29 pm
I actually have a friend who has done the zombie run locally as a zombie. Check out facebook later, I'll tag you and her so you can quiz her about her experience. I think she may have also run it as a human too.
Rayven: *gets hit in the face with some underwear* Wow Bo sure likes to get naked! XD
8145/10000
Blazestorm

Queen of the Realm
Fri Oct 19, 2018 9:12 pm
Gotcha. Thanks Bo. I'll try to remember to check that account Yes

Dedicated Citizen
Sat Oct 20, 2018 5:24 am
She sent me a message asking what you wanted to know and gave her a basic rundown. She was saying that you can't run all that hard during the colour run regardless due to all the starch from the colour powder. And she also said that being a zombie was a lot of fun to do because you get to scare the hell out of people. Laughing
8145/10000
Blazestorm

Queen of the Realm
Sat Oct 20, 2018 10:41 am
LOL. Thanks Bo. I've run colored runs before. It's just the zombie run I haven't run and if I become a zombie, I'm a little concerned that I'm gonna get whacked by a very flag-protective protective human. Shocked

Right now, I gotta run this Fire Department 5K - I'll follow up on the zombie thing later Yes

edit: I survived the Fire Department 5K - in fact, I apparently ran faster than I have been running on my own (still not fast, but faster...). I'm waiting for them to post the times to see for certain.

Dedicated Citizen
Mon Oct 22, 2018 2:24 am
I did martial arts in the past, but I stopped practicing many years ago. I like running, but it hurts my back too much, and that's from a childhood accident. I did okay with the martial arts, but I frequently hurt my back without meaning too.

It's always awesome to see run times improving. Very Happy

Avi Vote
Blazestorm

Queen of the Realm
Mon Oct 22, 2018 11:41 am
Riley wrote:
I did martial arts in the past
That's what I thought. I'm not training martial arts at the moment either (but probably will start again as soon as I can arrange the time/timing, etc. around the kids' schedules). Sorry to hear about your back and the limitations it still places upon you. Sad

So the final results... my time was just over 40 minutes and I placed #12 of 21 in my age bracket for this FD 5K run. And my mommy is proud of me XD (yes, she actually did say that when asking how the run went)

edit: I signed myself and the younger prince up for the double 5K - the zombies and the color run. I must be absolutely insane. Zoned

Dedicated Citizen
Sat Oct 27, 2018 8:07 pm
I've been entertaining the thought of starting up again, but I would rather it be at a different studio and in a different style. I'll have to see what's close to me, and I'll have to see what my new schedule is.

Good luck with both races! Let us know how the zombie one turns out; even though I probably shouldn't run, I'm still interested in at least being a zombie. XD

Avi Vote
Blazestorm

Queen of the Realm
Sat Oct 27, 2018 8:16 pm
Riley wrote:
I've been entertaining the thought of starting up again, but I would rather it be at a different studio and in a different style.

Likewise. Part of me misses it, part of me is tired of being thrown around a dojo XD

I will let you guys know how the double 5k turns out... the zombie and the color run(s). I haven't been able to run the last couple of days and ... I kinda miss it...? Shocked ... who would'a thunk? XD

Dedicated Citizen
Tue Dec 04, 2018 6:10 pm
How did the runs go? Very Happy

Avi Vote
Blazestorm

Queen of the Realm
Thu Dec 06, 2018 12:37 pm
They went well. The zombie run was more like a series of small dashes through and around the zombies than a true 5K, but it was fun. The Prince made it out "alive". I nearly did... that last 1/4mile was swarmed with mini-zombies (kids) who were not only harder to see but really fast (& you don't want to run over an 8yr old - dressed as a zombie or not!) and they pulled off my "life" flags. The Prince has the advantage of really long legs... which I do not.

The color run, which followed the zombie run, was fun but I was dealing with a pulled thigh muscle for a good bit of it which made it difficult. But it was a beautiful day to be running around the woods, dodging zombies and getting covered by colored corn starch! Yes XD

We also ran a Santa 5K last weekend, and I'm looking at signing us up for a couple more runs through 2019.

Dedicated Citizen
Thu Dec 06, 2018 7:26 pm
Shocked Wow, I probably wouldn't have made it out alive at that last part...unless if I was in a group and used other people as a distraction. XD

Now that we live by river trails, I might look into getting some good running shoes to try out running again. And if it doesn't work out, I will definitely use the shoes for work.

I'm interested in running in a zombie run at some point. Most definitely a mud run. XD But I'll have to do some training if I want to do any sort of marathon.

Avi Vote
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2