To Run or Not to Run...
Goto page Previous  1, 2
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Back to Forum -> Main Hall [Nov.'19]

5K runs...
Run the Zombie 5k as a Zombie
50%
 50%  [ 3 ]
Run the Zombie 5k as a Human
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
Only run the Color Run 5K
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
Run both the Zombie and Color Run 5Ks
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
Run... at all? You're crazier than I thought!
50%
 50%  [ 3 ]
Are you seriously considering TWO 5Ks in one day? o_0
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
Total Votes : 6

Blazestorm

Queen of the Realm
Thu Dec 06, 2018 9:52 pm
I've done a few OCR/mud runs. They were a *blast*... for the most part. My favorite was Warrior Dash (I've run it twice). It was well put together, well monitored, the obstacles were stable (unlike at least one of the others where the ropes were coming unknotted *eek!* Needless to say, I skipped that obstacle), so if you do decide to do an OCR, I'd suggest you go with a "professional" one and always check the obstacles/use your best judgment throughout the course! They ARE fun, though... so you should definitely do one! Or two. Or three... XD

Dedicated Citizen
Tue Dec 11, 2018 12:22 am
Yeah, rope knots coming undone isn't good. I hope no one got hurt. I'll definitely look for the more professional runs.

I just looked up locations for Warrior Dash. I would have to travel for that one. But Mud Factor is coming to my area on April 6th of next year. That looks like fun, and if I start working on my cardio now, I bet I could be ready in time.
Blazestorm

Queen of the Realm
Tue Dec 11, 2018 1:53 pm
Good luck, Riley! Let me know what you decide to do Yes

Dedicated Citizen
Thu Dec 20, 2018 8:29 pm
So after looking at some mud run obstacle course type marathons, I have determined that I'll need to add some strength training to my cardio work outs. A co-worker suggested Tough Mudder, since you have the option to skip any of the obstacles, but after looking at some of them, I'm not so sure about any of them, lol.

Did you do any kind of strength training?
Blazestorm

Queen of the Realm
Thu Dec 20, 2018 8:58 pm
I didn't do Tough Mudder... mostly because the distance was more than I wanted to do (I'll do a 5K, but not a 10K, etc. and at the time, there was no shorter option than what they're now calling "the classic" distance of about 10 miles). And no, I didn't do any particular strength training when I was running these, but I was in pretty good shape at the time due to karate (I was teaching at least 3 classes a week and then participating in at least 2-3 black belt level classes a week), and doing a fair amount of yoga. A lot of these races give you the option to skip an obstacle (I know Warrior Dash does), and I would definitely make a point to look for this option (& try to avoid any race where this is not an option). A lot of the obstacles can look a little daunting -both online when you're looking at the race, and in person as you approach it!- but most of them, although they may be a little tricky, are do-able and a lot of fun once you manage to get across or through it! These races are a challenge, but it's good to do that to yourself once in a while (IMO, anyway). The feeling you get afterwards is amazing!

Dedicated Citizen
Fri Dec 21, 2018 9:15 am
Okay, I officially signed up for Mud Factor. XD The obstacles look challenging but do-able, and there's no penalty for skipping any of them. Now I need to get some good running shoes, because mine are dead from using them so much at work. Now there's some motivation to keep with the workouts. XD
Blazestorm

Queen of the Realm
Fri Dec 21, 2018 3:05 pm
Oh good for you Riley! That does look like a fun one (along the lines of the Warrior Dash that I liked so much)!

Something you may not have thought about... shoes... I strongly suggest that you tie them tightly - I've seen people lose their shoes in the mud! And realize that they will be covered in mud, to the point of probably never getting clean again. I tend to use older sneakers for these races... trying to find shoes that still have some tread for grip without being so new I'd be upset when they get destroyed or if I lost one mid-race - but this has worked against me too by not giving me grip when I may have wanted or needed more for a particular obstacle... so... just be aware...??

Fri Dec 21, 2018 4:51 pm
whoa that's awesome! I'd say do the zombie one and be a zombie! and then do the color one later in the day! but being a zombie will give you a bit of time to rest!

Queen of the Realm
Fri Dec 21, 2018 5:39 pm
TurtleSensei wrote:
whoa that's awesome! I'd say do the zombie one and be a zombie! and then do the color one later in the day! but being a zombie will give you a bit of time to rest!

I did run the zombie run (as a human- maybe I'll be a zombie next time) and the color run later that same day, Turtle. It was a lot of fun! Since then, I've run a couple of other 5Ks... my next one was supposed to be tomorrow morning, but it got canceled due to 'hazardous conditions' because of all the rain we've been experiencing this week (everything is soggy/semi-flooded and it has been so windy, there are branches and trees down (or threatening to fall) a lot of places). I'm disappointed, but I understand. So I'll go run my own 5K later today if the weather clears up enough to do it safely (& without getting drenched).

Fri Dec 21, 2018 7:15 pm
Blazestorm wrote:
TurtleSensei wrote:

I did run the zombie run (as a human- maybe I'll be a zombie next time) and the color run later that same day, Turtle. It was a lot of fun! Since then, I've run a couple of other 5Ks... my next one was supposed to be tomorrow morning, but it got canceled due to 'hazardous conditions' because of all the rain we've been experiencing this week (everything is soggy/semi-flooded and it has been so windy, there are branches and trees down (or threatening to fall) a lot of places). I'm disappointed, but I understand. So I'll go run my own 5K later today if the weather clears up enough to do it safely (& without getting drenched).

It'd be smart if I'd looked at the date the original post was made! lol

I've always wanted to do the run for the Crohn's and Colitis Foundation, but I'm never healthy enough to do it! I try to donate every year if I can afford to though!

Dedicated Citizen
Fri Dec 21, 2018 10:52 pm
Good point about the shoes. Maybe I'll train in the new shoes and use my old ones for the actual run. I wouldn't be as upset at dirtying the new shoes as I would be if I lost one...or both... XD
Mon Dec 24, 2018 3:40 am
I used to love to run. It would literally kill me now. 100% sure i have a mild heart attack everytime i have to grocery shop in Costco. If you can do it though you should. Nothing feels worse than not trying when you know you can do something. Its a cool goal to have and would inspire your children to be active.
Blazestorm

Queen of the Realm
Mon Dec 24, 2018 3:37 pm
So my last race was canceled due to a weird winter rainy squall thing we were experiencing at the time... basically, the park where we were supposed to run was flooded, so it almost turned in to a mud run - LOL XD - but the county officials apparently deemed the conditions too dangerous, so the organizers had to cancel it. It was disappointing, but we could at least pick up our Tshirts and medals. I went running in between squalls the day before, so feel like I sort of earned my "stuff" XD

Unfortunately, I haven't been able to get out running since... and my next race is in 2 weeks. I should probably get going on that... Ninja

Page 2 of 2