The Zanto Ranch ~ Post and Click Your Zani Pets
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 89, 90, 91, 92  Next
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Back to Forum -> Pubs and Clubs [Nov.'19]

Zantos or Gryffes?
Zantos
25%
 25%  [ 4 ]
Gryffes
6%
 6%  [ 1 ]
Both!
43%
 43%  [ 7 ]
Plants
18%
 18%  [ 3 ]
Pet Rocks!
6%
 6%  [ 1 ]
Total Votes : 16

Rayven

Dedicated Citizen
Tue Sep 17, 2019 4:33 pm
XD My mom had good luck with hers too. She had some giant ones, and some small ones that had 2-3 heads on them. Shocked I'd never seen little ones with multiple heads before. Don't feel bad. Some of my stuff didn't work out either. My lilac tree died because we used some cheap dirt dad bought (mixed with good dirt), and it rotted or something. It smelled like chemicals. Sick My blackberry plants have tried to die and come back about 3 times. :/ They're currently less than 6 inches tall and I've been working with them since spring. I give up.Most of my tomato plants did awesome, but I didn't know that they were little tomatoes. I wanted big ones. I have the little ones growing out of my ears. XD I finally had to resort to giving them away. And my strawberries...they're trying to take over the world. XD Very Happy They only put out fruit when I first planted them. I thought they were everbearing, but who knows?! Anyway, they've made so many new plants that I'll have more strawberries than we can eat next year. I'm very excited about that. I had no idea that strawberry plants were so easy to care for. They've been so easy compared to everything else.

Dedicated Citizen
Tue Sep 17, 2019 11:25 pm
One of my sunflowers had multiple heads. I wish I had gotten a picture.

Strawberry plants can be pretty invasive. They multiply and spread like mint does.
UtterlyWeird

Established Citizen
Wed Sep 18, 2019 10:15 pm
There were pretty sunflowers a little ways from where I live. Some were a pale colour, with bands of darker colour on them, and really dark centres. They all had multiple heads.

Huh. I must live too far north for the strawberries to get invasive.

Riley

Dedicated Citizen
Thu Sep 19, 2019 5:34 pm
I planted two types this year - mammoth and red sunflowers. The red ones didn't really bloom. One or two of them tried to toward the end, but they didn't really get too far.
UtterlyWeird

Established Citizen
Fri Sep 20, 2019 12:20 am
Walking home today I remembered that the guy who lives underneath me has red and red banded sunflowers. His are in containers, but boy do they go nuts.

Rayven

Dedicated Citizen
Fri Sep 20, 2019 7:14 pm
UtterlyWeird wrote:
Huh. I must live too far north for the strawberries to get invasive.

Possibly. The wild ones here are well behaved, but, like Riley said, the ones I planted are pretty invasive. I love it though. XD I did work on them today a little. Mostly weeding and getting dead leaves off. I need to prune them eventually before they take over the new flowerbed. They are only allowed to have half of it because Mom wants to plant some stuff next year.

Riley-That's kind of sad that the red ones didn't bloom. Sad Maybe next year! I don't know what kinds Mom planted. Some were huge, and the others were small. I prefer the small ones because they big ones are too hard to get out of the ground when they die. XD

Established Citizen
Fri Sep 20, 2019 7:20 pm
Stick a cute little edging down the middle of the bed?

My family used to leave the big ones' stalks till they dried out, and then we kids would shove them over.

Riley

Dedicated Citizen
Sat Sep 21, 2019 2:09 am
Rayven - A barrier like Tam suggested might do the trick. I think it was because I planted the sunflowers too close together, and the mammoth ones blocked a lot of the sun from getting to them. I'll space them out a bit more next year.

Tam - When I was a kid at my parents house, we planted the ones that produce seeds. We actually got a decent haul of sunflower seeds. Though the birds ate some, I'm sure.
Rayven

Dedicated Citizen
Sat Sep 21, 2019 4:26 pm
Tam-I can try that, but I fear they'll just climb over it. They're trying to climb over the edge of the flowerbed already. I keep moving the little shoots back inside. XD

Awww. Yeah, I can see how that would work. XD They have such big root systems on them though, so I wanted to get them out of there. I was afraid the roots would be in the way to plant other stuff next year.

Riley-Oh, yeah that should help then. Dad saved several of the sunflower heads, and we hung them upside down over the garage rafters to let them dry out over the winter. Oddly enough, the birds haven't really bothered ours. They bumblebees and wasps love them when they were still growing.

Established Citizen
Mon Sep 23, 2019 10:38 pm
Oh, they make taller edging fences.

These were the mammoth Russians that my mom used to plant. The silly things wouldn't even bloom till the first light frost, so it was hit and miss with them. And the seeds were white. That boggled us, because we were used to the striped seeds before that.

Once they're dried out dead, they don't have a lot of roots left.

Riley

Dedicated Citizen
Mon Sep 23, 2019 11:29 pm
White seeds? That does sound strange. I'm used to the striped ones too.
UtterlyWeird

Established Citizen
Wed Sep 25, 2019 12:30 am
But they were as tasty as any others. Big fat seeds, too.

Rayven

Dedicated Citizen
Wed Sep 25, 2019 6:07 pm
Tam-I didn't even think of that. New gardener here. XD

That must be what my Mom had. They were huge and the seeds are white.

Ok. I was afraid the roots would still be really big, but I guess they dry up.

Riley-I hadn't seen the white ones before either, but, then again, I'm not an expert on sunflowers. XD We didn't eat any of them. Mom is going to use them to plant more next year. I'm surprised the birds didn't steal them.

Established Citizen
Sun Oct 06, 2019 1:03 am
Aww. *hug* You'll get the hang of it,and learn the useful tools!

Sounds like it, and no. They don't do like when a tree goes over. If I remember rightly, the patches of ground they pulled up were smaller than their flower disks.

XD The first year you grow white seeded sunflowers, the birds don't know when they're ripe, so they don't take any. Or at least I think that's what I remember happening. First year free, and then them going after 'em the years after. We'd just put onion bags over the sunflowers' heads, so the birds couldn't reach the seeds.

Rayven

Dedicated Citizen
Sun Oct 06, 2019 6:50 pm
*hugs* I hope so. XD

Oh ok.

That's a good idea. We wouldn't have minded if the birds had eaten them, but they weren't interested. Perhaps you're right about the why. I think the raccoons were trying to get them in the garage last night though. XD They also knocked over a trash can only to be sorely disappointed. No food, just a bag full of doggy waste that I picked up out of the yard. Apparently there are limits to what they'll eat because they didn't touch that. LMBO
Page 90 of 92