The Safe Haven ~ On Haitus
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4 ... 18, 19, 20  Next
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Back to Forum -> Pubs and Clubs [Nov.'19]

People Counter
+1
33%
 33%  [ 1 ]
-hides-
66%
 66%  [ 2 ]
Total Votes : 3

Thu Apr 24, 2014 1:36 pm
Hooray for breaks! Not much of one for me; I was down with a migraine, but my kids made an awesome ham dinner. I have awesome kids Smile

No worries about being gone; life is a good thing, and it's meant to be lived.

Exams are brutal. Well, exams and standardized testing. We're getting ready for our annual major standardized test at work. There are no words for how much I loathe standardized testing.

I was in my 30s before I got my stuff together and got back to college. The most important thing I learned is that it's better to go to college BEFORE you have kids than after. Smile

Dedicated Citizen
Tue May 06, 2014 6:46 pm
Aw, I'm sorry to hear that! D: I hope you're all better now though! That's sweet of them! Very Happy

It's exam week here. XD All the projects went well though!
I hate standardized testing as well... And I'm not a big fan of comprehensive tests either. Why would I recall that minute detail from the first exam that never came in handy? Why would a silly teacher expect me to remember something I never used? I'll never know. XD

*nods* I'm thinking at this point that once I finish up my undergrad I might join the Peace Corps for 2 years and the go get my master's degree (since they have programs that allow me to get scholarships from them!)... And I really feel like I want to do some kind of service.

Tue May 06, 2014 9:12 pm
I'm good with comprehensive tests. I have the weirdest memory, so I can remember a lot of stuff without having to study that hard. The problem with my memory though is that I forget to do things like homework often.

That was a nice thing for your kids to do Sinister Sassy.

I don't really know what the Peace Corps are, but I would prefer staying until I finished university before going anywhere for more than a couple weeks.
Tue May 06, 2014 9:13 pm
Hello there, I'm new here. Followed Dusty all the way to this corner of the internet from Neopets. Embarassed

It's nice to meet you guys! Very Happy

Unfortunately, a lot of the time it's not the teacher's fault for teaching you how to pass standardized testing, but the way educational requirements are set up for kids and college. It's pretty unfair either way, because the tests encourage rote memorisation than actually learning anything. Sad
Dusty

Dedicated Citizen
Tue May 06, 2014 9:23 pm
@ Dorothy: That's awesome. :3 I'm not bad with taking them, I just really don't enjoy them... (It's more of an issue with math, since I have math anxiety). XD

The Peace Corps are an USA volunteer organization, if you volunteer and you're picked to be a part of the program they send you to a different country that has requested Peace Corps assistance with things like economic development, teaching English, creating environmentally friendly communities, ect... Very Happy I'm finishing up my undergrad in two years, and I want to get my master's (I just don't have the money), so having never been out of the country before and wanting to do some service work it sounds like a good deal, especially since they pay you for doing it. XD (The minimum time as a volunteer is 2 years I think). XD So, I completely understand!

@ Cookie: I agree. :3 I remember liking all of my classes that didn't have a standardized or required comprehensive test at the end of them. Usually because the teachers got to design the curriculum and they were thoroughly passionate about what they were teaching! Very Happy

Tue May 06, 2014 10:21 pm
I'm not in America, so I don't know if I could join up either way. I have been to America and Mexico though, since I was only there to catch a connecting flight to Mexico and back, and didn't even stay more than 1 and a half hours there on the way back home.

I have been thinking about going to another country to teach English, though I was going to use the JET program and go to Japan to teach. Either that or I'll stay and teach Japanese.

I can see the tests as being unpopular. I'm not good at critical thinking though, so those were my favourite kind though.

Dedicated Citizen
Tue May 06, 2014 10:27 pm
You might not be able to join the peace Corps then, per se, but they do have equivalents in other countries. :3 (I just don't know what they are). XD

That would be really cool! Very Happy I'm wanting to do something with Disaster Management/Planning, so with the Peace Corps I'd probably have to do some type of planning work. XD (It's looking more and more like I'm going to become a Geography major with a double major in Planning).

Wed May 07, 2014 7:26 am
Hello everyone Smile
http://www.zantarni.com/post2786213.html#2786213

Dusty

Dedicated Citizen
Wed May 07, 2014 1:27 pm
Hey there Draca! How are you today? :3
Wed May 07, 2014 10:20 pm
I'm fine and how are you?

Dusty

Dedicated Citizen
Wed May 07, 2014 10:26 pm
I'm doing well. I'm exhausted after taking my exams today. :/
I'm almost done though! Very Happy

Do you have any plans for the weekend?

Fri May 09, 2014 12:07 am
I get that teachers need to be held accountable, and that student populations are ridiculously diverse, but seriously, would it KILL businesses, colleges, and schools to put their heads together and figure out what "basic education" really is?!?! I'm sick to death of all the testing, and common core, and new curriculum, and asinine systems altogether.
umm, endrant Laughing
Fri May 09, 2014 12:45 am
No I have no plans for the weekend. I wish I did tho

That's cool that your almost done with your exams Smile

Paganbeer

Knight of Zantarni
Fri May 09, 2014 4:36 pm
Hey, Dorothy! I Googled the Peace Corps requirements, and while it was hard to find, there was one part where they specifically mentioned US citizens. So I looked into their partner organizations and found this:

http://www.globalcommunities.org/jobs

They specifically state that they don't discriminate based on national origin or citizenship status, and they are an international group, so it may be worth looking into.

Dusty, I sent some things to Ambition for handing out. I think there would have been more, but I can't put pictures to the names of some of the items (in my head). I'll look into it and get back to you later. Wink
Fri May 09, 2014 5:23 pm
Hi Draca!

Thanks for finding the website, but I want to stay in my country for now. I like helping people, but I also like living in my area.

I would like everyone to learn what "Basic education" is too, and that they should keep working on that afterwards. It does keep changing. I don't know what an asinine system is though. I want a new curriculum for schools here though, since some of the stuff I learned in high school were from books a decade old at the time. In one class, the textbooks were older than me.

Good luck on the rest of the exams Dusty!
Page 3 of 20