St. Yorick's Day Contest 2017 (Ended)
Goto page 1, 2  Next
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Back to Forum -> Official Tournament Archives
Meldrick the Elder

Knight of Zantarni
Zantarni NPC
Sat Dec 23, 2017 4:21 pm

Meldrick smiles, "We all know what time and season it is as St. Yorick's Day is almost upon us. But did you know that different areas and peoples of Zantarni celebrate St. Yorick's Day in many ways?"

Loriel flits about excitedly as Meldrick continues, "The Orcs consider St. Yorick as the Golden Warrior and they hold military parades and tournaments, truly exciting to watch! While the Naga see St. Yorick as the Golden Serpent, and they dance around carrying paper mache serpents as they dance, ending with all the serpents tied together and the groups tug and pop them like holiday poppers, which showers their children with candies and treats."

Loriel settles on the wizened old Elf's shoulder as he smiles and continues, "The People of the Herd see St. Yorick as a Golden Pegasus and they celebrate with song, dance and firework displays. . .very festive."

Meldrick pauses, "One of my favorites is the celebration of the Zander people of the Southwest Islands of Zander Zan, Zander Zon, Zander Zen and the Zander Free State; They see St. Yorick as the Bringer of Rainbows and they decorate trees and carve coconuts into amazing shapes and characters of the St. Yorick's tales. Since the Islands have no indigenous fir or pine trees, they decorate Coconut Palm trees. . .which brings me to our St. Yorick's Day Contest. . .we will be decorating Coconut Palm Trees or carving coconuts!" (if you are not in to coloring or decorating, you have the option of writing a poem, carol or story of St. Yorick's Day though the eyes of the people of the islands of Zander. I visited the islands in my Tale of Lajata Natale, for a little background).

"We offer you these examples for you to use: coconut palm tree and coconut; or you can draw your own or find a base from any free coloring site."

Prizes:

• 1-5 valid entries: event participation prize to all 5 participants: 150 event currency worth of items from the Event Shop.
  • 6-12 valid entries: one prize;
  • 13-24 valid entries: two prizes;
  • 25+ valid entries: three prizes

Contest Rules:

Arrow Follow the Rules of Zantarni and the TOS.
Arrow No Mule entries will be accepted.
Arrow All entries must be your own original work.
Arrow If you have concerns about an entry, PM a Knight. Concerns are not to be dealt with by the players.
Arrow You may use whatever media you prefer (Paint, Gimp, PaintShop, crayon, pencil, etc.)
Arrow All entries must include the user's name and the date created.
Arrow If you decide to write a story or a poem or a carol, you may use any format, and do not exceed 750 words
Arrow One entry per person.

Meldrick smiles, "All entries must be submitted by Midnight PST, January 02, 2018. I hope everyone has fun with this. Good luck to all who enter!"

Entries:

1 - Riley - Coconut Tree
2 - Rayven - Story
3 - Calea - http://cubeupload.com/im/DbpvPY.png (can be seen if you copy link and insert it rather than clicking on it)
4 - Lika - http://www.zantarni.com/link.php?link=http://de.tinypic.com/r/2iiu2jd/9

Sit back and I'll tell you tales of Faeries and dragons.

Last edited by Meldrick the Elder on Wed Jan 03, 2018 8:05 am; edited 1 time in total
bohemian

Dedicated Citizen
Sun Dec 24, 2017 9:36 am
I may try to write something as I can't do much else...also bumping this into the active posts on the front page. Ninja

And is there a limit to any writings that may happen?
Rayven: *gets hit in the face with some underwear* Wow Bo sure likes to get naked! XD
7750/10000
Blazestorm

Queen of the Realm
Tue Dec 26, 2017 2:35 pm
bohemian wrote:
is there a limit to any writings that may happen?

What do you mean, Bo - number of entries? - number of characters or words? - something else?

Defender of the Realm
Tue Dec 26, 2017 4:42 pm
Lady Bo, this is the only limits on writing. . .: If you decide to write a story or a poem or a carol, you may use any format, and do not exceed 750 words. . .

Dedicated Citizen
Tue Dec 26, 2017 8:35 pm
I see decorating a coconut tree in my future XD

Dedicated Citizen
Tue Dec 26, 2017 8:42 pm
I may try to write something too if I can manage it. It was fun last year so I'd like to try again. Very Happy

Dedicated Citizen
Tue Dec 26, 2017 10:32 pm
I think last year's St. Yorick's Day contest was one of my favorites. I loved how a bunch of us incorporated each other's stories into our own Heart

Dedicated Citizen
Wed Dec 27, 2017 1:39 am
XD Yeah that was really awesome.

Dedicated Citizen
Fri Dec 29, 2017 3:52 am
Okay, here is my entry: Coconut Tree

I had no clue how to decorate a coconut tree XD And I'm working night shift this weekend so I wanted to get my entry it.

We need 5 more entries so someone can win a pair of spectrum wings!!!!

Dedicated Citizen
Fri Dec 29, 2017 4:59 pm
Wow Riley! That is super pretty! Very Happy

Dedicated Citizen
Fri Dec 29, 2017 7:19 pm
Thank you! It was challenging trying to figure out what I wanted to do, but I'm happy with it for the most part. I hope there will be more entries Very Happy

Dedicated Citizen
Sat Dec 30, 2017 3:53 pm
Thanks Sir Scarz. Sorry I didn't respond earlier, but I am still without a laptop and am not sure if I will be able to work on anything for the contest.
Rayven: *gets hit in the face with some underwear* Wow Bo sure likes to get naked! XD
7750/10000
Rayven

Dedicated Citizen
Sat Dec 30, 2017 8:10 pm
Hopefully there will be some last minutes entries. Maybe I'll even still come up with something. I can't make any promises though. I don't color digitally, and I'm not getting any inspiration for a story. Sad

Dedicated Citizen
Sat Dec 30, 2017 10:08 pm
I used markers for mine. Then I was working on the background, and since I used scrap paper, the words on the back of the paper were showing through, so I ended up doing the background in paint.

Dedicated Citizen
Sun Dec 31, 2017 10:03 pm
Riley that's awesome. I thought it was pixel art. XD

I finally had some inspiration. It could have been better, but I discovered 750 words isn't as much as I thought it would be. XD Here's my entry:

Rayven was making cheesecake for the St. Yorick’s Day celebration when she heard a knock at the door. It was Riley, and she didn’t look very happy. “Riley what’s wrong?”, Rayven asked.

Riley said, “I was walking by Weird’s cottage a few minutes ago, and I saw her sitting on one of her pets . I know she’s does that sometimes, but the one she was sitting on appeared to be pouting. It’s St. Yorick’s Day, and I wish she would have more patience with them today. Would you go with me to talk to her?”

Rayven nodded. “Sure. Just let me finish these cheesecakes. Let’s stop and get Bo. She’s good at getting right to the point, and she’s an expert on posteriors.” Riley quirked an eyebrow, but shrugged her shoulders as if conceding the point. They giggled.

When they got to Bo’s Rayven knocked loudly on the door because she found it amusing to annoy Bo. Bo answered the door in her crankiest voice. “What do you two want?”

Rayven grinned mischievously. Riley gave Rayven a dirty look and said, “Bo we came to get your help.” Riley quickly explained the situation.

Bo looked irritated. “I don’t have time for this.” Riley’s big eyes looked so hopeful that you could see Bo’s resolve crack. Bo rolled her eyes. “Ok fine. I’ll do it.” Riley and Rayven high fived each other. Bo shook her head. “You two are pathetic.” They couldn’t help but notice that Bo was smiling.

When they arrived at Weird’s cottage Rayven started to knock on Weird’s door, but Riley stopped her. She eyed Rayven and said, “Let me do it this time.” Rayven smirked and gestured to the door.

Weird opened the door smiling pleasantly. “Well hello there. To what do I owe this honor?” Rayven could see Weird’s critters lurking in the background.

As expected, Bo was blunt. “We’re here because Riley saw you sitting on your pets again. She said the one you were sitting on looked upset. You know how much I love bums, but can you quit using yours to squash your critters?”

Riley blushed. “I think what Bo is trying to say is that we understand you do that to keep them in line, but it’s St. Yorick’s Day. Would it hurt to spoil them just a little?”

Weird rubbed her chin, and appeared to consider what they said. “Do you see that one over there?” She pointed to a chubby little glendor who was failing miserably to look innocent.

Riley nodded. “That’s the one I saw you sitting on.”

Weird nodded. “It’s true that I sit on them to keep them from causing mischief, but sometimes it’s just a game we play. That one in particular thinks it’s very funny to be naughty so he will get into trouble. I’ll explain. One day he was a pest, and I put him in time out by sitting on him. As soon as I let him up he did something else that was worthy of punishment. He looked like he was waiting for something so I sat on him again. This happened four times before I caught on that this was his new game. I eventually made him go play with the others.” Weird laughed at how naïve she was. “Usually when we play his game he smiles, but other times he pretends to hate it. I guess you must have seen the latter. Sorry for the confusion.”

As if on cue, said troublemaker knocked over the trash can, and waddled over to Riley. He looked up at her expectantly. Riley looked shocked. Weird said, ”He wants you to sit on him.”

Riley was quick to reply, “I think we should be going now. I’m glad we sorted this out, and I’m sorry if you felt we were being nosy.”

Weird snorted. “Don’t be silly. I’m glad others are concerned about my critters.” She looked down at the little glendor. “She doesn’t want to sit on you. Go play.” He looked disappointed, but scampered off.

Rayven laughed . “Let’s get going ladies. Weird we’ll see you later.”

Later that evening Rayven saw all of her friends at the celebration. There were so many people, and they all looked so happy! The happiest of all was a chubby little glendor who liked playful shenanigans. He managed to get several people to sit on him.

Rayven smiled brightly, and wondered what next year’s celebration would bring.
Page 1 of 2