Seat Belts: Forced or Choiced?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 3, 4, 5
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Back to Forum -> The Scholar's Room [Nov.'19]

Should wearing a seat belt be your own choice or forced by law?
My own choice.
51%
 51%  [ 25 ]
Forced by law.
48%
 48%  [ 24 ]
Total Votes : 49

Sat Aug 20, 2011 3:01 am
Choice. And I will say so simply because I despise the police and would happily see them shot as the criminals they are.

On a more practical note I dislike whenever laws are made that don't apply equally to everyone, I am wary of anything 'experts' study or poll, and I consider anything coming out a politician's mouth to be a lie.

Will I wear one? Yes, actually. But I do not need some goon insisting he is an officer giving me a ticket because I unbuckled it for 5 seconds to stop my bag from sliding about at a red light, or because my little cousin dropped her toy on the floor in the backseat and went and got it before fastenig herself back in. Even if the ticket gets dismissed its part if not all of a day to deal with it and court fees (read: further extortion) to fix the issue. And the offending 'officer' doesn't suffer punishment even if their behavior is spotted as 'questionable' (I'd honestly like to see some jail time, fines, or executions for some of them and a number of lawyers as well).
Mon Aug 22, 2011 2:36 am
Honestly i think its a sham They need money in local communities so they pass these rules to incrouch upon everyday life. Then they ticket you i got a seatbelt ticket when i had it ON... We got pulled over the car wasnt Lic and neither was my husband i KNEW they were gonna take it so i took my seat-belt off. The officer came up and said you know the tags are expired right? And we said yea.. and then he asked for my husbands Lic and he said i dont have one right now. Because it had been taken for back fee's on DOG TAGS... yea.. He got some dog tickets for his aunts dogs on his moms property.. no joke. Total true story. So anyway the officer asked us to get out and we did he searched that car and then gave my husband 4 tickets... the 4th one was for a baseball bat we had in the car because we had played baseball with my brothers at the school the day before.. He said it was a concealed weapon! Anyway the ONLY reason they even pulled us over was because he said he noticed that my husband didnt have a seat-belt on.. He then turned and gave ME one! I said umm i had mine on and he said no you didnt when i came to the window you had no safety belt on.. i was ****. I tried to fight it but the judge called the officer in and he said i did NOT have one on. And that he noticed my husband didnt have one on so he said 2+2= 4... i had to do community service because i couldnt afford $218 for a seat-belt ticket!

On a side note my father in law was in a car accident that almost killed him He was wearing a seatbelt and couldnt get out of the car after tha accident, the car caught fire and it was only by sheer luck that he had a army knife in his front shirt pocket. He cut the belt and got out. He has had over 100 seatbelt tickets sicne 1968 He has no lic because he refuses to pay the tickets and he will NEVER wear a seatbelt aagain EVER.

I do think that it should be required for kids since they become projectile objects when in an accident. But then again.. there was the story of that one kid who went off a cliff with his mother. And she died. He was trapped by the seat belt.. he could have gotten out and gotten help if he wasnt trapped he could have saved her life. So the kid issue is a little touchy. I know as a parent it should be your choice but i also know that if your child died because you didnt enforce it then you would or could be subject to neglect or endangerment charges... It all boils down to Fee's and what the GOV can stick you with. Whoever said we live in the land of the free was joking.. and some idiot took him seriously! lol
Mon Aug 22, 2011 3:14 am
I think it should be ones own choice. If one doesn't wear well no one can be blamed for the complete idiocy of crashing and dying far from the crash. Meh...
Thu Aug 25, 2011 9:25 am
I also think that wearing a seat belt should be one's own decision.

I can understand laws concerning street signs, traffic, etc, because those affect other people and their lives, not just yours. But if its your life, then it should be your decision, like health care and everything else... and now I'm veering in another direction. xD Whoopsie.
Sat Feb 18, 2012 9:56 am
Hmmmm, this is hard. I would probably say forced. I mean, it's not not that big of a hassle to put on your seat belt. It's more likely to prevent you from getting hurt...and I'm talking about this from experience. I don't want to go through the big details, but here's one of the stories of me not wearing a seat belt.

My friend drove pass a intersection without looking, and there was another car coming towards us. I was yelling at him, but it was too late. He was hitting the breaks, and the other car was hitting the breaks as well. He was wearing a seat belt, and me, stupid enough did not. I hit my head pretty hard, and ended up with a nasty wound and minor concussion. It wasn't too serious, but I was pretty shaken.

I honestly never got into a car accident, and my dad always grind it in my head to wear a seat belt.

Since that time, I started putting on the seat belt as a habit.

It seriously hurts when you get into an accident, and you honestly won't know if it would be your last breath ...for not wearing a seat belt Razz

**EDIT

This made me sick for forgetting all the times I didn't wear a seatbelt.

"Two people were hospitalized after being thrown from a vehicle late Tuesday night, according to police.

A Johnson City police officer saw a silver Toyota Solara speed through the red light at University Parkway and Market Street around 9:45 p.m. Tuesday, according to a crash report.

The officer followed the car in an attempt to stop the driver.

The driver, identified in the report as Cody L. Dingus, 21, of Kingsport, turned onto Knob Creek Road from Market, running the red light there, too, according to police.

The officer who followed the car lost sight of it at this point, but came upon it again a short time later.

Dingus had lost control of the car and struck a utility pole and then an embankment near Pactolas Road.

Both Dingus and his passenger, 18-year-old Sheridan N. Edwards, also of Kingsport, were ejected from the vehicle, according to the report.

Both were taken to Johnson City Medical Center by ambulance.

Their conditions were not immediately known, but the police crash report listed Dingus and Edwards’ injuries as “incapacitating.”

Read more: http://www.johnsoncitypress.com/News/article.php?id=98306#ixzz1mpKDhKg2"

A Thousand Dreams

Last edited by Prosperity on Sun Feb 19, 2012 11:38 am; edited 1 time in total
Sun Feb 19, 2012 5:01 am
This is kind of on a tangent but in my woman's studies class I learned that what they base(or have, but I believe its the first) the seatbelt's position, height, and angle on are "the average height, weight, etc. of an American adult". Well it turned out this average meant nothing because it was really formed by the measurement of males alone, not a diverse population. So what about the other 50% of the population? Mad

This might be a thing of the past... but again may not. I will try to find an article later, but not tonight... got to go to bed.
Mon Mar 31, 2014 7:53 pm
I believe in seatbelts. Considering I've been in three car wrecks (one of which I'm sure my friend and I would've been thrown from the car if it wasn't for our seatbelts) I'll always wear my seatbelt and raise my children to as well. While I do understand they're uncomfortable or awkward, there's always things you can wear to avoid that, such as seatbelt covers.
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 3, 4, 5
Page 5 of 5