Seat Belts: Forced or Choiced?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, , 3, 4, 5  Next
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Back to Forum -> The Scholar's Room [Nov.'19]

Should wearing a seat belt be your own choice or forced by law?
My own choice.
51%
 51%  [ 25 ]
Forced by law.
48%
 48%  [ 24 ]
Total Votes : 49

Wed Jul 07, 2010 9:34 pm
saburnalurjitt wrote:
Forced. People die without seatbelts, end of story. I don't support suicide, and I therefore support seatbelts.

Uhm... Having a choice on whether or not to wear a seat belt isn't a suicide attempt. Dad chooses not to wear seat belts but that doesn't make him suicidal. And if you've read, my father actually survived over two serious car accidents without wearing a seat belt. So, that theory of dying without one is proven false. People die with them on as well. My cousin's father died in a car flipping 3 times and he wore a seat belt. He was basically trapped in the car because of it.
Now, don't get me wrong. My husband was involved in a car accident before we got together and it was the seat belt that saved his life. So, it's either way in my eyes. But never a suicide attempt.

All you have interesting opinions and I do respect all of them. ^-^

Wed Jul 07, 2010 9:37 pm
Well they should be a choice I highly encourage wearing them Yes

Oh I'm glad he lived while not wearing one though!
Wed Jul 07, 2010 9:44 pm
Yoari wrote:
Well they should be a choice I highly encourage wearing them Yes

Oh I'm glad he lived while not wearing one though!

Yeah, I'm glad he did too. My brother even survived a truck being flipped twice as well. I guess it runs in with the family of the guys. X]
I'm glad I've not had such close calls like that. But I always wear my seat belt. I've only been in one accident and it was filed in as a hit and run because when I asked the family to go off the road into the parking lot next door, they decided to take off down the road.

And yes, I also agree with you too. ^-^
Choiced, but recommended.

Wed Jul 07, 2010 9:56 pm
Fehvy wrote:
saburnalurjitt wrote:
Forced. People die without seatbelts, end of story. I don't support suicide, and I therefore support seatbelts.

Uhm... Having a choice on whether or not to wear a seat belt isn't a suicide attempt. Dad chooses not to wear seat belts but that doesn't make him suicidal. And if you've read, my father actually survived over two serious car accidents without wearing a seat belt. So, that theory of dying without one is proven false. People die with them on as well. My cousin's father died in a car flipping 3 times and he wore a seat belt. He was basically trapped in the car because of it.
Now, don't get me wrong. My husband was involved in a car accident before we got together and it was the seat belt that saved his life. So, it's either way in my eyes. But never a suicide attempt.

All you have interesting opinions and I do respect all of them. ^-^

Just because you can get away without wearing one with a heck of a lot of luck doesn't mean that you shouldn't wear them. In serious collisions, they often save lives.

Bringing up a collision where somebody died doesn't really say too much. I'm sorry for your loss, but not wearing a seatbelt wouldn't have made his situation any better. I don't know the whole story of course, but I highly doubt that you can tell me it was the seatbelt that killed him. If the car flipped 3 times, there isn't much that any seatbelt or lack of could've done for him.

It's terribly, terribly hard to go through your entire life without ever getting in an accident. Knowing that, knowing that at any moment you could be in a serious accident by no fault of yours and doing absolutely nothing for your own safety? Yeah, I'd call that suicide.
Mon Jul 12, 2010 1:37 am
It's not luck, hun. It depends on the type of collision they are in. As you cannot predict such collision, you still should have the choice whether or not to have a seat belt. In many car accidents that I have heard about around my hometown, they always stated that the person would have survived if he/she hadn't been wearing a seat belt, but there are just as many accidents out there of those who did not wear seat belts that would have survived if they had of worn one.
I'm not saying outlawing seat belts all together and I respect your decision on wearing one and you think it should be forced by law. I'm not fighting over it with you. All I am stating is just because my father chooses not to wear a seat belt, I felt you are taking a bash at him by stating he's suicidal which is clearly not the case. He just doesn't like seat belts and so he chooses not to wear one. I'm not sitting here bashing at you for wearing a seat belt saying that you're suicidal for wearing one because you have a chance at killing yourself by getting stuck in your car because of the seat belt so please stop stating that those who chooses not to wear a seat belt is suicidal because they are NOT. Drop that attitude in my thread please.
People who choose not to wear a seat belt is not suicidal. Period.
I respect your decision on seat belts being forced. Show the same respect, thanks.

Sat Jul 24, 2010 7:42 pm
saburnalurjitt, no offense but saying that someone who dosn't wear a seat belt is suicidal seems more then a bit rude to me. My father often doesn't wear a seat belt but that does NOT make him suicidal. I find it extremely offensive, personally, considering his dad (my grandfather) did commit suicide. Suicide is a big issue for my dad because of that. So just because he chooses not to wear a seat belt doesn't mean he wants to kill himself.

Also, on the car that flipped, if the person wasn't wearing a seat belt they could have (and probably would have) been thrown from the car. As such the probability of them surviving actually goes up quite a bit. If they survive to hit the ground, chances are they will live. But being trapped in the car while it flips, the probability of living is close to 0.

ON THE TOPIC AT HAND. I'm actually kinda wishy washy. When I'm driving I always ALWAYS have my seat belt on. Not only can I not afford the fine (its outrageous around here) but I've been in a situation where I slammed on the breaks to miss a dear and if I didn't have my belt on I'd probably have gone threw the windshield or at least gotten more banged up then I did. Also, my rents and I were driving one night, dad hit a dear and I was in the back seat and got tossed a bit cuse I didn't have my belt on. If I'd been driving I could have gotten really hurt.

But at the same time when I'm not driving (and I'm in the back seat) I'm usually laying across the seat and its kinda hard to have a belt on. In fact I'd bet if we did get into an accident and I had it on, I would probably get more hurt because of the belt considering the edge rests right over my whindpipe when I have it on sitting like that and seat belt edges are really ridged. It would probably act like a knife and slice me open. @.@

I guess ultimately I'd say choice but I'll still continue to force people to put them on while in my truck. :3

Thu Jul 29, 2010 9:44 pm
Wearing a seat belt won't affect your driving for the better or the worst. But if we are in an accident, it increases the chances we'll survive.

I'm more worried about the people who drink before driving or the people who text on their cellphones behind the wheel.

I can dream, right?
Thu Aug 05, 2010 12:56 am
Fehvy wrote:
It's not luck, hun. It depends on the type of collision they are in. As you cannot predict such collision, you still should have the choice whether or not to have a seat belt. In many car accidents that I have heard about around my hometown, they always stated that the person would have survived if he/she hadn't been wearing a seat belt, but there are just as many accidents out there of those who did not wear seat belts that would have survived if they had of worn one.
I'm not saying outlawing seat belts all together and I respect your decision on wearing one and you think it should be forced by law. I'm not fighting over it with you. All I am stating is just because my father chooses not to wear a seat belt, I felt you are taking a bash at him by stating he's suicidal which is clearly not the case. He just doesn't like seat belts and so he chooses not to wear one. I'm not sitting here bashing at you for wearing a seat belt saying that you're suicidal for wearing one because you have a chance at killing yourself by getting stuck in your car because of the seat belt so please stop stating that those who chooses not to wear a seat belt is suicidal because they are NOT. Drop that attitude in my thread please.
People who choose not to wear a seat belt is not suicidal. Period.
I respect your decision on seat belts being forced. Show the same respect, thanks.

If you think I'm showing you any disrespect, I'm sorry. I'm just debating, it's what sharing opinions is all about. I don't see any reason to just post a simple opinion and walk away, I don't get anything out of that and neither does anyone else. I like debating every once in a while. If you feel personally attacked by my opinion well, you shouldn't, simply, but I'm sorry.

I'm obviously not trying to say that the first thing any unbelted driver is thinking of is driving off a cliff, but I think it's very ignorant to do nothing for your own safety knowing how many people die in their cars. Especially since the only reasons I've ever heard for people not wearing their seatbelts have been "I'm lazy" or "it's uncomfortable". I hate that there are people that can have such disregard for their lives just because they like to think they're invincible.

@InfinitysDaughter: I don't want to accuse you of trying to guilt trip if you aren't, but it really seems like you are. I mean, I'm sorry for your loss? What else do you want me to say to you?
Thu Aug 05, 2010 1:13 am
I do not mind you debating. However, I do not appreciate the statement that all people who refuse seat-belts are suicidal. My father is, have not been and will never be suicidal. If he was suicidal any time it would be because of his cancer. I do not mind you debating against the ability of people not to wear seat belts but please refrain from claiming them to be suicidal. It's disrespectful.
Thu Aug 05, 2010 1:13 am
saburnalurjitt wrote:

@InfinitysDaughter: I don't want to accuse you of trying to guilt trip if you aren't, but it really seems like you are. I mean, I'm sorry for your loss? What else do you want me to say to you?

I'm not trying to guilt trip anyone. I'm pointing out that calling someone suicidal just because they dont want to put on a seat belt is ridiculous. All your posts sound like you think people who dont wear a seatbelt are likely to go out and eat a gun or something.

And no, your not debating. Your arguing. Yes, there is a difference. When one debates they dont just fall back on one thing over and over, especially when that one thing has been debunked. It really IS a 50/50 chance that the seatbelt will save you or kill you as proven in previous posts by Fehvy.

Thu Aug 05, 2010 6:25 am
Fehvy wrote:
I do not mind you debating. However, I do not appreciate the statement that all people who refuse seat-belts are suicidal. My father is, have not been and will never be suicidal. If he was suicidal any time it would be because of his cancer. I do not mind you debating against the ability of people not to wear seat belts but please refrain from claiming them to be suicidal. It's disrespectful.

I'm sorry (and I don't know why I have to say sorry) but I'm not about to take back an opinion of mine because some people disagree. I think we can all agree that that's just not a good way to live your life. I'll talk about it, talk about peoples' reasons for agreeing and disagreeing, understand other peoples' points of view, but I'm not about to throw my opinion out the window because you don't agree. That's why it's my opinion, not yours. If you're getting upset (not trying to assume you are) over what I said, you really need to learn to take things at face value.

InfinitysDaughter wrote:
saburnalurjitt wrote:

I'm not trying to guilt trip anyone. I'm pointing out that calling someone suicidal just because they dont want to put on a seat belt is ridiculous. All your posts sound like you think people who dont wear a seatbelt are likely to go out and eat a gun or something.

And no, your not debating. Your arguing. Yes, there is a difference. When one debates they dont just fall back on one thing over and over, especially when that one thing has been debunked. It really IS a 50/50 chance that the seatbelt will save you or kill you as proven in previous posts by Fehvy.

If you go back and read what I said to Fehvy just before this, you'll notice that I said the exact opposite. Do you even read my posts? You seem to be making them up in your own head. You're pulling things out of your **** and telling me they're coming out of my mouth.

Also, it's more 75/25 in my area as far as seatbelts are concerned. When I see stats from your area, maybe I'll change my mind. Maybe it IS just an "around here" thing, but there are bad accidents nearly every day and nearly every driver that decided for one reason or another to not wear a seatbelt dies.
Thu Aug 05, 2010 6:56 am
To throw my 2 cents in here I will say this:

As a person who drives a tow truck I have seen a LOT of accidents, and seatbelts are a safety device, but they are only a safety device in the event of certain collisions and can also be dangerous if not worn properly. In many older vehicles the seat belt does more harm than good, and in newer vehicles air bags do more protection of your person, but the seatbelt protects you from the airbags.
I see seatbelt laws as a necessary precaution to protect the masses from themselves. The world is full of idiots and so laws are made for such reasons. It is the same as many other laws.
Seat belts only truly serve a function in head on and rear end collisions and only up to a certain speed. The design of the vehicle and how it is made will do more to save you. Everything in life is a gamble and you have a choice in everything, but seatbelt laws are to protect others from the idiot disease. It is merely something to make you stop and think about your actions. The choice is still ultimately yours.
I will say this though, people should learn the PROPER way to strap in child seats. I have seen one to many child seats thrown several feet from a vehicle because they were not properly secured. Thankfully there hasnt been a child in one yet.
Thu Aug 05, 2010 7:44 am
I never stated to take back your opinion, I simply asked you to stop claiming everyone who chooses not to wear a seat belt as suicidal. It's disrespectful.
I didn't get upset over your views. You calling everyone without seat belts, HENCE MY FATHER, suicidal when clearly they're not. That is the discussion I wish for you to stop. If you believe that way then fine, whatnot, but do not come in here and start pointing fingers at those who chooses to say seat belts should be choiced and claim them to be suicidal. Just because they want seat belts to be choiced doesn't mean they do not wear a seat belt. So stop calling them suicidal.

Suicide has NOTHING to do with the choice of accepting or refusing a seat belt. END OF DISCUSSION! If you wish to speak of suicidal people, then by all means, begin your own thread.

I respect everyone's views on the seat belt idea, but you're going way out of hand with this arguing of the seat belts.

And Infinity isn't pulling anything from her rear. She, too, seemed like she didn't like you're claim that all people who refuse seat belts are suicidal. And yes, you did claim that:

saburnalurjitt wrote:
It's terribly, terribly hard to go through your entire life without ever getting in an accident. Knowing that, knowing that at any moment you could be in a serious accident by no fault of yours and doing absolutely nothing for your own safety? Yeah, I'd call that suicide.

The views of your seat belt should be forced is not the one being upsetting over by the posters. It's your claim that we are suicidal because we believe that seat belts should be choiced. Again, I believe seat belts should be choiced but I CHOOSE to wear seat belt. And I am not suicidal.

So, again, please stop with suicidal talk in my seat belt thread. Talk ONLY of your views of seat belts, NOT whether or not they are suicidal. Thinking a person is suicidal requires knowing their symptoms of such a thing and simply them stating their views on seat belts does not give a required decree of whether or not they are suicidal.

Now that I've explained that further, and hopefully you now understand. I respect your view of seat belts should be forced. Seat belts do, in cases save life, but in some cases it does not.
If only people could stop their idiotic speeding driving or drunk driving or text driving, I believe we'd have less accidents. Also, if you're tired please do not drive!

You know there's this show called It's Effen Sciences (or something like that) and they've proven that texting and driving is more dangerous than drunk and driving. It was crazy. They had two old people test it out first (not on a literal road, they had one of those car game machines), then they tested it out on two sober hot chicks while they were texting them, then they got these two chicks drunk as ever (which was really hilarious) and they tested that out too. And out of it all, texting was the most dangerous thing to do while driving.

Edit
Anymore speak or arguments of suicide in this thread, I will personally ask a knight to lock this thread.

Wed Aug 18, 2010 4:23 pm
I feel that wearing seat belts is mostly by choice. When I get into my car it is the first thing that I do. I know that cars back in the olden days didn't have seat belts but look at how many lives seat belts have saved and how many people have died not wearing seat belts. It truly is a tragedy if you look at the statistics. But if you don't feel like wearing a seat belt and are willing to take the chance with your life and of getting a ticket that is your own choice.
Wed Aug 18, 2010 4:36 pm
I am pro seat belt law. They have to force the adults to do so so that the children will do so.

I also feel that the only reason that some people have a problem with the law is because they don't lake the idea of someone telling them what to do. It may sound silly but it's true.

My school had a mandatory charity day for the senior class where five hundred teens would go out across our community doing different charity projects. (We were getting out of class all day mind you) All they had to do was go out and plant a few flowers and eat ice cream but why did two hundred kids choose to sit in the auditorium doing homework all day instead?
For the same reason some people challenge the seat belt law.
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, , 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 2 of 5