Scarz' Scary Story Contest - Winners Announced
Goto page 1, 2  Next
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Back to Forum -> Tournament Grounds [Nov.'19]
Scarz

Defender of the Realm
Mon Oct 27, 2014 2:29 am

Welcome to Scarz' Scary Story contest. This is NOT a site sponsored contest; the prizes will be coming from my private stash. . .Now to the Contest, I am looking for exactly what it says. . .SCARY STORIES! You may write in any style that you wish, but not more than 750 words (more or less).

The subject is up to you, so let your imaginations run wild (within the Rules and TOS, of course).

Prizes:

All prizes will be awarded (1st place choosing first, etc.)
Contest Rules

Arrow Follow the Rules of Zantarni and the TOS.
Arrow No Mule entries will be accepted.
Arrow All entries must be your own original work.
Arrow If you have concerns about an entry, PM me. Concerns are not to be dealt with by the players.
Arrow You may use whatever style of writing you prefer (poem, prose, etc.) with a maximum of 750 words.
Arrow One entry per person.

All entries will receive a special treat.

All entries must be submitted by Midnight PST, November 2, 2014. I hope everyone has fun with this. Good luck to all who enter!

Entries

TurtleSensei
Paganbeer
bohemian

Winners

Paganbeer
TutrtleSensei
bohemian

Last edited by Scarz on Tue Nov 04, 2014 5:20 pm; edited 5 times in total
Mon Oct 27, 2014 7:26 am
Hey Sir Scarz!! Would I possibly be able to enter a story that I wrote a few years ago?

Defender of the Realm
Mon Oct 27, 2014 4:19 pm
TurtleSensei wrote:
Hey Sir Scarz!! Would I possibly be able to enter a story that I wrote a few years ago?

Milady, if the story had been used in an "Official" Zantarni Contest or any other contest, the answer would be no.

If it was written for fun but never submitted for a contest, it would be acceptable.

Tue Oct 28, 2014 7:14 am
Editing because the story was too long! So here is a different one!!

Written when I was in college never been submitted anywhere else except Deviant Art!!

Note: never submitted for a contest? Only posted on Deviant Art for copyright purposes.

The Coin Toss

I remember it clearly now, so clearly, that fateful night he came from the shadows. I was working on writing my latest story, when I heard someone breathing. Now, I donít scare very easily, so I slowly glanced up, thinking my cat had woken up and come to get the attention that his species so adamantly pursues. Yet, I didnít see my beautiful Siamese , Mr. Pretty, when I glanced up, instead I saw the most alarmingly ice blue eyes that I had ever seen. There gaze sent chills up my spine. A cloaked figure walked forth All I could see was the black of the cloak, so deep that no light penetrated itís shadowy depths. It came forth and spoke. Telling me that I was foolish to keep going on, when all that I was doing was prolonging my escape. How it knew that Iíd been contemplating Suicide for the last three months I just did not know. Iíd never actually do it of my own volition, I guess in that sense I wasnít as brave as I thought.
Enveloped in shadows, it began to speak, itís voice whispery soft and menacing, yet androgynous in its shadowed host. ďTake the dagger, thrust it deep, one swift move to end it all.Ē Was what it said. I was scared, I refused. My life hadn't even had a chance to start yet. I couldnít, no, I WOULDNíT back down this early! I told it no, I told it that eventually itíd all get better for me. That Iíd not end it all so soon.
It and I, we argued for quite some time, until finally exasperated, it left as silently as it had arrived. I didnít even realize that it had left until I woke up that morning exhausted and with an ink stain on my cheek from where Iíd fallen asleep across my writing.
It came back for three nights, each time beginning the argument where we left off. I wasnít getting any sleep, I hadnít written anything in weeks, I had a deadline to meet. The magazine that I was writing my latest short story for had already given me an extension, and was unwilling to give another. I had to do something to make it leave me alone! I was up night after night, in an attempt to figure out how!

To be continued!!!

Dedicated Citizen
Thu Oct 30, 2014 8:34 am
I'm not sure I can do scary stories. But I might have a go later. I need to think on it. Yes
Riley: Bo, the Goat Whisperer. XD
Blaze: Bo, you're just chaotic... Razz Heart
9695/10000
Scarz

Defender of the Realm
Fri Oct 31, 2014 8:23 am
I hope thou art able to come up with one, Lady Bo, I think everyone can enjoy a good scary story. . .

Knight of Zantarni
Fri Oct 31, 2014 8:38 am
*sneaks in*

I'm here to show my support for Lord Scarz's writing contest. Can't wait to read your stories! :3

Dedicated Citizen
Fri Oct 31, 2014 8:44 am
I'll try and think of something. I may get out my book and brainstorm some ideas. Yes

Granted, it will never be as terrifying as that scarecrow story Lillie wrote that has me terrified of scarecrows now. Embarassed
9695/10000
LillieRose

Knight of Zantarni
Fri Oct 31, 2014 8:46 am
Still going on about that Bo? XD

It's been years since I wrote that.

Dedicated Citizen
Fri Oct 31, 2014 8:49 am
Well lets just say it left an impression Lillie. Razz
9695/10000
Fri Oct 31, 2014 11:21 am
I agree with Bo! It was frightening!!
Sat Nov 01, 2014 1:31 am
I've been tearing the house apart looking for the notebook this story was in. Just when I was about to give up entirely, I found the original handwritten version! So here we go.

Moon Magic

Last night I walked beneath the full moon, hoping to absorb some of her magic. As I walked I came to a river, a shining ribbon draped across the land, reflecting the moon's smiling face back up to her. The gulls resting on the shore called out to me with sleepy voices, but they were of the water magic and I was seeking moon magic, so I walked on.

Eventually I came to a place where the trees grew singly, set apart from each other as though they had been caught whispering on some solemn occasion and been separated like naughty children. There were benches beneath some of the trees, and on the benches sat people whose clothes were fragrant with layers of earth. They called out and beckoned me to join them, but they were of the earth magic and I was seeking moon magic, so I walked on.

As I walked, the trees began to grow closer together, sometimes forming small rustling groups with darkness in their center. I passed close to one such group, and out of the darkness of its center stepped a beautiful young man. His long hair flowed past his shoulders and down his back, and his body was both lean and muscular. His smile was warm and welcoming, and I was tempted to linger there a while. But when he stepped closer, I saw that his eyes were strange and fey. I realized with a chill that he was a keeper of the wild magic, and I hurried on.

Soon I was surrounded by trees, and as I continued through the wood the terrain grew steep and rough, so that at times I was almost climbing.

I paused in a clearing to catch my breath, and as I stood gazing at the moon a welcome breeze cooled my brow and tousled my hair playfully.

I heard a sound behind me, so soft I couldn't identify it. I turned slowly, and saw the Wolf step into the clearing. He was larger than ordinary wolves, and the moonlight outlined it with a silver aura. Its eyes were glowing in the moonlight, and so full of ancient wisdom, sadness, and a fierce hungry joy, looking into them made me want to weep and and shout with laughter at the same time.

As the Wolf stepped toward me, I sank to my knees and lifted eyes. As I gazed up at the moon with her enigmatic smile, I felt rather than saw the Wolf's jaws reach for me, and as his teeth sank gently into the soft flesh of my throat, my heart sang with joy, for I had finally found the moon magic I had been seeking.

Defender of the Realm
Sat Nov 01, 2014 3:24 am
I thank thee for thy entry Lady Paganbeer *shivers*

Professor, I have to agree with Lady Bo and Lady TurtleSensei. . .I will never look at a scarecrow again the same way.

Dedicated Citizen
Sat Nov 01, 2014 9:12 am
I wrote this a while ago and it wasn't a part of any contest. I doubt it is even scary, maybe slightly twisted, but as I can't think of anything else, this is it. Yes

He opened his eyes and looked around,
the darkness engulfed his senses.
The room was dark, but it was not empty.
She lurked near the door,
watching, waiting, prowling.
He turned his head towards the door,
reaching out his hand to see in the darkness.
She creeps forward silently,
knowing that he cannot see her.
As he opened his mouth to speak,
she drove the knife into his chest.
He let out a startled gasp as the life left his eyes.
A smile touched her lips as she released the knife,
she turned and left the room as if she was never there.
9695/10000
Sat Nov 01, 2014 10:19 am
Ooh I like it Bo! Yours too Pagan!

And yay!! Competition!!
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2