Remember the Basics
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, , 3, 4, 5  Next
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Back to Forum -> Artists' Quarter [Nov.'19]
Sun Dec 03, 2006 11:15 am
Can't wait until I'm old enough to go to art school. Oh the joy!

The thing about hands is good
I found one thing that really helped for me. See, I wanted to get one of those hand mannequins that can be posed, but, kinda strapped for cash. So I figured, why not make my own jointed hand mannequin. I've always loved seeing hoe straight lines turn into curves according to reference points. It worked for me. Now, I'm not suggesting you copy down the exact markings on my hand to your hand, because that won't teach you anything. The way I did it was to circle each knuckle, every joint, then connect them according to where the underlying bones were, then to just fudge around putting in lines that occurred when the hand moved

Anyway, for those who would be interested in some help
This is what I managed to produce with this process (prior to this, I was seriously tracing my hand to get the shape, I'm just that hopeless sometimes)

And these are photos of my hand

Mon Mar 12, 2007 12:52 am
thanks for the tips! i was planning on working on clothes folds and hands and poses more.
Mon Apr 16, 2007 12:21 am
Continuing with the "draw other genders/ages" thing, DRAW OTHER ETHINICITIES. Not doing so causes PROBLEMS if you're ever called on to draw someone who's not your own ethnicity. You can't just slap brown coloring on a European face and call it African. There are differences, and until you know how those work, it WILL be all wonky.

Also, while you do not really need art books to get good at drawing things like humans and your pet cat, if you want to draw dragons, it's good policy to go out and get a book on drawing dragons, if only from your local library. Also, if you are going to branch away from just pencil work, please, please get a book on what you want to do if you've not got an arts instructor. They may put you back a bit, but trust me, it's worth it. Really. In the long term, it's so worth it.

Eyes. Work on eyes till you think that you'll never want to draw another eye in your life. And not just what you think and eye looks like. Take a digital camera to work or school, and ask your friends/coworkers if you can photograph their eyes. Then take them home and print them all out and study them. The color of the iris, how the pupils dialate, the lines that are the muscles dialating and contracting, the shape of the eye, the color of the "white", the curve of the rim, the sweep of the lash, everything. Ad Naseum. Eyes can mmake or break a picture. If the rest of your picture is beautiful and the eyes of your subject are dead, the picture its self dies. Only once you knwo waht an eye looks like can you stylise it.

Eyebrows. See eyes. The same things that can be said for eyes goes for eyebrows as well. Study them. Remember that not all girls pluck. remember that the eyebrow is hair, and thus has line and texture to it. If your subject is angry and your eyebrows are wrong, it makes your subgect look really, really odd.

The little things that no one thinks about. For instance, fingernails. No one thinks about fingernails, but what would you think if you saw someone walking down the streat, naturally devoid of fingernails?

I'll shut up now.

Dyslexic. Please don't bite me for spelling errors, I try as hard as I can.

Last edited by Blue Dawn on Mon Apr 23, 2007 6:41 am; edited 1 time in total
Sun Apr 22, 2007 2:13 pm
I don't know if any of these have been brought up yet, but:

1. USE GUIDE LINES. Any art book worth its weight will say the same.

2. Don't think every thing you draw has to be a finished picture. Some times having a page full of doodles is worth three finished drawings.

3. Don't expect the art books to make you into a phenomianal artist; however, the only way to get better is to practice. (I know that one's been said).
Fri Jul 06, 2007 1:25 pm
Thanks for the tips, they are so useful ^0^ I have been drwing for a year, and still improving ^__^UU
Sun Jul 15, 2007 4:18 am
Awesome tips! I'm still very much a novice and I admit to doing more anime style then anything else, but I've started practicing drawing "real" eyes and *WOW*, what difference! So no I'm trying my hand at working on a more realistic level.

I haven't even started hands yet. They intimidate me *sweats*. Thank you lexxielizzie for the idea and examples you've provided. I may just take that first step into the world of hands soon. <3

I have looked at several tutorials on shading and most of them work mostly with uni-surface objects (balls, cubes, cylinders, etc...). But as we all know the face is a topography of valleys and hills making shading more complicated. Can anyone recomend a good book or link which might help me? Thanks! <333

Fri Aug 10, 2007 4:35 am
I cannot draw properly balanced proportions.... I suck at hands. Ive never draw feet...

I do fashion design (just n the side.. it's not my major...) And I cannot draw my own figures. I have to use the croquis my 10th grade teacher gave me.. After 4 years I can almost draw a figure but I could really use some assistance. Is there a book you could recommend (Not anime. I want to draw regular first then move on to anime) Either that or could someone give me step by step instructions? My school has a figure drawing class but it's never available when I can take it... (The horrors of community colleges)

Please PM me if you can help me.
Fri Sep 21, 2007 8:48 pm
Also on folds, the clothing will gather and wrinkle around or near joints because of the structure of the body. Just a little tip I found in a drawing book, which I thought I should share.

Also, practice practice practice! The more practice you have drawing, the better you will get. I've noticed that with drawing a ton of freebie avatar art over on Gaia that I have slowly gotten better. So try and practice a little everyday if you can!
Sat Nov 03, 2007 11:03 am
[quote="artist"]
Rufio wrote:
I have some tips.

1. STOP DRAWING ANIME!
Learn to do figure drawing before you move on to Anime. Even professional anime artists learn drawing realistic life drawings and all that before they actually put their style into anime. It'll be a lot helpful in the long run. If you start off and continue drawing Anime, the only things you can draw are anime. Sure, it'll create your Anime style but it'll also be the only thing you can do. And in the art world, the variety of other things you can't draw but Anime will give you a disadvantage.

how true.. but im not good at it that much as well.. i create my own style... for realism.. i am no good at uh.. humans.
Sat Nov 17, 2007 7:40 am
I know cognitively that all this is tested, proven, and good, but...
It is going to be a bit hard to put into practice. For one thing, although my style has gotten progressively more realistic ever since I saw Le Portrait de la Petite Cossette and noticed the environmental lighting of Haibane Renmei, it is kind of hard to get myself to practice complete (human) realism because I am not sure when I may have to use it. Of course, I know sooner or later I am going to have to endow my characters (including the mermaids, furries, Nephilim, et cetera) with believable bodies, so I guess I may yet be able to pull myself through at least that part of the training. The other thing, though, is naked people: Naked people = t3h yuc|<, which is why I have never taken any drawing classes at my university. I tell myself that when I find myself wanting or needing to draw a character completely naked--not just in a bodysuit--I will instead put down my pencil and go to a church counselor. Such is the life of a prude. ^^'

Is there any hope for me? ^^;;
Sun Nov 18, 2007 8:22 am
when i draw hands i try to look at my own in the position i need them to be in but it doesnt always happen. sometimes it looks like a monekys foot or something??? Shocked
Wed Nov 28, 2007 5:11 am
These are seriously some good tips. Personally, I'd also add some tips on taking critique.
Sat Dec 08, 2007 2:30 am
art rocks....it shows creativity and xpression.
Very Happy Smile Sad Surprised Laughing Cool Confused Shocked Mad Razz Crying or Very sad Wink Rolling Eyes Twisted Evil Evil or Very Mad Exclamation Question Idea Arrow

Mon Feb 11, 2008 1:00 pm
hi how are you i am new at this
Tue Mar 04, 2008 11:49 am
when working with a object you are attempting to draw you may find youself in a difficult situation with not understanding how deep some indents into the object. try this trick.

try making a light source shine in such a way that shadows appear on th object for better understanding of the lines on a object.
understanding how light shining on a object is a effective way to learn the object fully.

got a 3d model of the object? sometimes seeing it from all views from up close to a distance. in dark and in light, havening a specific light source pointing on a specific location and changing it each time. draw it each time. you will get a better understanding of drawing if you continue to draw one object from all viewpoints you can think of possable
(つ ノ
(ノ
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Back to Forum -> Artists' Quarter [Nov.'19] All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, , 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 4 of 5