Rayven's Nest-40k to 1st poster on pg. 400!
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 333, 334, 335 ... 371, 372, 373  Next
Sun Dec 08, 2019 4:58 pm
I haven't been back out home at Christmas time since I lived there when I was 17. Heck first time I was back out there at all was two years ago with the BF for his community's come home year. I haven't been able to go back since unfortunately. We're making sure we can get out there this year as a family though. He goes back for Christmas every year.
Rayven

Dedicated Citizen
Sun Dec 08, 2019 7:32 pm
Tam-It's good to see you. Very Happy

XD Go ahead and pig out. It doesn't hurt to do that once in awhile.

You're so lucky! Razzzz XD

Saiyouri-I understand. It's hard to not worry about our kids.

Yeah. Sad The first thing we noticed was a mass on her stomach and she was breathing heavy. We went to the vet and they told us what it was. So sad. I have great memories of the short time we had her though.

Yeah. I used to wash my hands a ton when I was a kid due to my OCD. My dad finally told me if I didn't quit washing my hands so much he'd spank me. XD It sounds harsh, but it helped. I learned that I had to fight it. I truly believe that's why my OCD is under control now. My brother's is much worse, but they were easier on him. He never learned to fight it. The up and down of the temp isn't helping much. I think my hands are starting to adjust a little, but it's hard to tell since it's been a little warmer.

That is something, especially since a lot of people can't stand to eat food with beer. I can't. If I want to eat while drinking I switch to Pepsi until I'm done eating. True. XD Maybe it wouldn't if he had enough to drink.

Miku-This year will be really special then. Very Happy I'm so glad you get to go home. Do you get homesick since you don't get to go back that often?
Sun Dec 08, 2019 8:23 pm
It'll also be the first time the majority of his family and also some of my extended family get to meet my daughter. She's 7 now and she wasn't able to go with us 2 years ago for the trip, unfortunately.

I suppose I get homesick for the place, not so much the people themselves. My hometown is dead center in the island and a very nice area. Just grew up with a lot of bad kids is all.
Rayven

Dedicated Citizen
Mon Dec 09, 2019 12:17 am
That's nice. I bet they'll be happy to meet her. Very Happy

I understand. The last time I moved back home I dreaded it, but it's been alright. I don't associate with many people though which helps.

Established Citizen
Mon Dec 09, 2019 2:18 am
I didn't have a lot of choice with the pigging out. Sometimes periods come with headaches for me, and when they do they also sometimes come with hunger that seems all out of bounds. But a lot of the cookies are still left. LOL I really like what the Persian bakery makes.

Yesterday I bought a pretty, soft caftan for home clothes. Right now it's with the lady I bought it from while she does the alterations to make it fit me just right. I also bought a scarf from her that converts to a vest.

I'd like to go to Newfoundland someday, before the English dialect dies out. I'm a language nerd.

Mon Dec 09, 2019 3:34 am
I'll be honest I doubt our dialect will ever die out completely. Even though we have an aging population most of us 'younguns' and even younger still use the same slang as our forebears. Creatures of habit we are us Newfoundlanders.

Most of the people I used to know don't live back home anymore so I doubt I'll run into many of them unless they are also visiting for the holidays. The BF and I said that now in a few years we'll save up and buy a house back home in GFW. That way he wouldn't be too far from Buchans but also have an easier time finding work. Living in the capital of St. John's is something we both agree we'd prefer not to do. Too expensive and tends to be fairly dangerous these days. I'll probably wait until little miss is at least 10-12 before moving though so we'll have plenty of time to get straightened out with things. Most of my surviving immediate family lives in the capital mind you. Sister, Father, Uncle [Mom's Twin Brother] his wife and Nan [Mom's Mom]. Also step-siblings but I don't count that since I was practically an adult when dad got with her so we never really had that 'sibling bonding' time.

Sorry if I rambled a bit there.
Saiyouri

Long-term Citizen
Mon Dec 09, 2019 12:57 pm
Rayven- I worry more about my kitties than I do about my real kids. Though I guess they are doing ok. I hear about my son from my daughter. I'm thinking I might hear from him around Christmas/his birthday (since it's the beginning of January). It's ok I know he's keeping busy and I heard that my mom might be acting weird. My daughter told me she is giving the kids their favorite christmas ornaments since they were kids... Not normal for her to be giving things away since they don't have families of their own or their own home for that kind of stuff.

I learned to control my OCD when I took myself off my meds after a big boo boo that could of been worse. I have tried before I met hubs but things went bad when I did that. It's not as bad as before but it's still there and I know the triggers all too well and do things immediately instead of waiting. Like I want to try to wait every 2 days to shower instead of every other day but I know that would be a bad idea. Thought of it multiple times and keep telling myself that it might end badly. I'm glad you were able to find a way to control it. I hope he's found ways to handle it for himself.

Ugh gotta open the door and freeze the place when hubs gets up. I would do it now but the last time it was open and warm in here, we got a stink bug that went on me and I'm a bit afraid to open them without him checking out the door before it gets open to see if it's safe or things have to be taken care of first.

Dedicated Citizen
Mon Dec 09, 2019 7:39 pm
Tam-I'm glad you still had some left. XD I know you don't eat a lot of sweets so it's a good thing you found some cookies you like. Very Happy

A scarf that converts into a vest?! Shocked I had no idea that was possible. How does that work?

Miku-I must confess, I know next to nothing about Newfoundland. Embarassed It sounds like a nice place though.

I don't blame you for wanting to move. Living in the city can be hard, and dangerous, as you pointed out. I lived in the city for 3 years. I adjusted but it never felt like home. It was dangerous there too, but I never experienced any problems. I think I was just lucky. My car wasn't nice enough to steal, and my apartment was situated back in a corner. Unless you knew it was there it was practically hidden. I also made sure I was very nice to everyone, but that wasn't hard since I'm almost always nice. XD

Don't worry about that. We're all ramblers here. Most of us anyway. XD

Saiyouri-Me too. Don't get me wrong, I worry about my son, but it really doesn't do me any good. When I try to give him advice he gets very angry, and he just does what he wants no matter how bad or unsafe it is. I hope he calls you soon. Yeah, that is kind of odd. You don't think she's in poor health or something do you?

I'm glad you're finding ways to deal with it. The experts recommend forcing yourself to do the thing that's a trigger. It's called "Exposure Therapy". I was doing that before I knew what that was. XD For me, it just depends on what it is though. If I think I should force myself to confront it, I do, but if I think I should just avoid it then I do that. Me too. I can honestly say it doesn't control my life like it did when I was a kid. It will always be there, but it doesn't drive me nuts. I won't allow it to. I wish he would, but he chooses to let it rule his life. If my parents try to tell him to fight it he gets really angry. :/

Oh no. XD Sorry, I don't mean to laugh. It just reminds me of the time that I had about 30-40 of them in a window. I didn't even know they were there until I was doing something to the curtain I think. They were behaving themselves. Just staying warm and sleeping. I didn't know what they were yet though. I'm ashamed to say I flushed quite a few down the toilet before I looked them up to see what they were, and apparently they're harmless. I set the rest free outside after I googled them.
Mon Dec 09, 2019 11:09 pm
@ Rayven- thats true and yeah there's probably not a reason to tbh.

@ Saiyouri- well your lucky I don't like the cold. u.u
Lol that's funny. XD I'd maybe do that too. except I don't bother wrapping things. At a point it just feels wasteful

Rayven

Dedicated Citizen
Mon Dec 09, 2019 11:27 pm
Boo-Not really. I don't game or make art so a regular computer suits me just fine.

I forgot to ask you, did you have a nice visit with your parents today?
Tue Dec 10, 2019 1:13 am
We had a shooting in the capital just a couple weeks ago, first one in a while but it still shook me up a bit. I used to hang around the area that it happened a lot and my dad doesn't live overly far away from it. There are mostly petty crimes and stabbings/assaults almost never shootings. But it still makes me believe that my decision not to move back out there again is definitely the right choice for us. Back home isn't nearly as dangerous honestly. Barely any murders have happened there since before I was born. I remember there being two and both were at bars and both were done by people from the mainland that were visiting the town. I am definitely much more comfortable with raising my daughter there versus out in the city.
UtterlyWeird

Established Citizen
Tue Dec 10, 2019 1:19 am
That's good. I like the Newfoundland English. At least the flavour from around Port Aux Basques, which is the one I've heard or read the most of. It's too bad I'll never hear the Newfoundland French, though.

Rayven, it's easy, but... I'm not sure how to explain. It's a bit long strip with two holes in, makes a lovely vest that's long in the back and long enough for comfort in the front and can cross over the front if you want, but when you take it off and hold it by one short edge, then fold it in half long wise twice, it's a scarf.

And I have only a regular computer... a small regular computer, but I game just fine. XD

Tue Dec 10, 2019 1:39 am
If you want Newfoundland French your best bet is to look up audio files from St. Pierre, it's literally France but below us and settled by a lot of Newfoundlanders. Back in the day, you didn't even need your passport to travel there. But of course, now you do so there's that. There are a few other French-speaking communities on the island as well. We even have a French school district island-wide. Another interesting dialect to hear is from the Mi'kmaq, I learned it growing up but sadly don't remember much. I'd love to relearn it, considering its technically part of my "mother tongue" as it were. My mom was part Mi'kmaq and I was even in native dancing and registered when I was a kid with the Band out in my hometown.
UtterlyWeird

Established Citizen
Tue Dec 10, 2019 2:02 am
Ohhh. I've been told the dialect of French I was talking about had gone extinct. Someone from the island said so, and then I read articles on it.

I bet that language sounds neat too. I know the written Cree language looks amazing (different language, but mentioning of a Native dialect reminds me of the syllabics), and I love the history of the writing symbols.

Saiyouri

Long-term Citizen
Tue Dec 10, 2019 1:07 pm
Rayven- I completely understand what you mean about your son. I've been doing that recently with my daughter since I figured things out completely with her. They might be our kids, but I know not all the time can we make ourselves unhealthy worrying about them or getting worked up about them. I've been controlling that part with my son. I freak out and then nothing happened so I'm slowly learning not to do that.

With my mom, I don't fully know. Talking to my son will tell me everything. I plan on asking that for sure when I hear from him about how my mom is doing.

I read a book about OCD that did trigger it more, but it was very informative with the half I read. I read the part about that kind of therapy and I screamed NOOOOO in my head. I'm not that bad where that type of therapy might help. I figured out what triggered it for me and I know it's also a way for me to control something in my life (when I needed it badly); now it's just there and I don't really pay much attention to it. Hubs has helped so much with everything that I can safely control it and not have it interfere in my life.

It's ok with laughing. If I had that window, I'd scream, throw things at the window, move out and say screw it to everything that I owned in that place. So glad we don't have that here. Just finding those annoying disgusting things here and there is more than enough for me. Zell tried to eat one.... thankfully he didn't have boo boos around the house for it. >.>; I don't even understand them at all. Hubs says they smell and it's noticeable but for me I can't smell them. And I'm the one with a working nose >.<; Life makes sense.

It's 30s today... lets shot mother nature and tell her to kinda fix things. This roller coaster is really annoying.

Oh poor Zell had an accident. Hubs scared the living poop out of him yesterday vacuuming. Still working on trying to get him to warn the kitties about the monster coming so they can hear about it first before anyone has a kitty attack. I call it a monster to them so they recognize the words. It was an interesting day for sure.

And I'm getting closer to being done with the garland. Got about 10 more pieces to stitch up and then I can put the sucker together. Just need to not try to rush putting it together. After awhile I know it will get annoying and I won't want to do it. Circles to stitch aren't fun for me. Or even entertaining.

Boo- Hubs says the same thing about wrapping the kitties gifts.
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 333, 334, 335 ... 371, 372, 373  Next
Page 334 of 373