Rayven's Nest-35k to 1st poster on pg. 350!
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 306, 307, 308 ... 317, 318, 319  Next
Scarz

Defender of the Realm
Sat Jul 06, 2019 3:42 pm
Lady Saiyouri, I am sorry to hear about your kitty getting stuck in the drawer, hopefully her feet will heal soon enough.

I have another idea for your clothing, towels etc., without having actual drawers, are metal shelving like these,

I originally bought some for my kitchen to use as pantry shelves, then realized they could be used for almost anything, bedding, blankets, towels, etc. and then I bought some baskets and use them for clothing. . .sometimes inspiration for ideas come from the unexpected.

Lady Rayven, I totally agree with you, people are taking this PC garbage too seriously. . .my quote from George Orwell really does apply. . .it started with the removal of Civil War statues, because they represented the South; then the Confederate Flag (it represented slavery). . .it spread to statues of others, a bust of Lincoln in Chicago was vandalized, Jefferson's Name removed from his Birthday Celebration in his hometown, covering up of a mural of Washington that showed him with slave and walking over a dead native American (he did fight in the French and Indian War). . .and now the Betsy Ross Flag, they don't care that she was a Quaker or an Abolitionist, they look at any American Flag as a symbol of only the bad things that have happened and not the Freedom that it stands for. . .the whitewashing and rewriting of history continues. . .

And it doesn't stop with historical things. . .remaking old movies or cartoons into movies, but rewriting parts of it or recasting, just to make them inclusive or non-triggering (Like "Dumbo" and "The Little Mermaid"). . .oh wait, I can't talk bad about them because that makes me "racist". . .another word that gets thrown around too easily, which to me lessens its meaning.

Changing subjects, my cat Nico does not like fireworks, when I came home from work on the Fourth, he was under the couch and I had to coax him out. . .he had the most pitiful meow and he was still jumpy any time any firework went off. . .he finally calmed down about 2 AM.

We did feel the last big California quake (the 7.1 one) here in Vegas, it rock and rolled for about 30 or 40 seconds. . .there were quite a few people entrapped in elevators throughout town, something that is never fun. The quake didn't seem to affect Nico at all, thankfully.

Dedicated Citizen
Sat Jul 06, 2019 7:29 pm
Saiyouri-Electric bills are a big pain. I'm glad that yours went down some. Closing rooms off that aren't in use is a good way to save on electricity, especially if there's a way to turn the AC/Heat off in those rooms. Turning off lights when they're not needed, which most people seem to forget to do, is another thing that really helps lower the electric bill. I even unplug appliances/electronics if I'm not using them to save too. Even if they're off they usually still pull a little electricity.

That's good that it wasn't too noisy there. I think we were the noisiest ones in our neighborhood. Embarassed At least we don't keep it going for days on end though. When I lived in the city people were setting off fireworks for probably a good two weeks, torturing poor Chase the whole time. Sad

I'm sure things will get better soon. *hugs*

Sir Scarz-I know, it's terrible. The direction I see things going is scary. I'm all for everyone getting treated equally and for everything to be fair, but erasing history will not accomplish that. Erasing history is only an illusion anyway. No one can actually change history. I just love history, even the ugly parts. History is how we learn from our mistakes. We've come a long way even if some people can't recognize that. Rome wasn't built in a day. Some things take time, generations even. Some people also seem to think that we're the only country with a dark past, and that minorities are the only ones that have experienced mistreatment. All countries have a dark past, and all colors (including white people), have experienced mistreatment.

I don't even care anymore if I get called that. That word is definitely thrown around too much. I've met true racists and their thinking is very extreme. Most people are not in their league, and they are not nice people in a lot of ways. I know how I truly feel, as do you. We're not like them, but no matter how we treat others some will never let us forget the past. When I worked in the city I was friendly with everyone there. I don't care what color someone is, I only care about how they act and how they treat other people. One day there was someone in the store who was trying to steal. We were trying to catch him in the act and one of the cashiers asked me what color he was, which was relevant because they needed a description so they could keep an eye out. I stumbled on my words because the man happened to be black, and the cashier was black as well. I had heard for a long time that they preferred African American. Before I could answer she said, "Don't tell me you're one of those white people that can't say black." I laughed nervously and told her that he was black. I explained that I came from an area that was almost exclusively white and so we tend to walk on eggshells. She just laughed. We became friends shortly after that. She understood that is was just an adjective for me, and not that I was racist. If fact, she thought I was silly for being uncomfortable saying it.

Awww. Poor Nico. I'm glad he was able to get over it eventually.

As I said in the Safe thread, I'm glad that you and Nico are ok. I've never experienced an earthquake, but I do have to deal with bad storms that can have tornadoes in them. I heard a California government official say on the news this morning that earthquakes aren't fun, but that people in California don't usually have to worry about the weather trying to kill them constantly. I guess he was trying to be optimistic. XD

Defender of the Realm
Sun Jul 07, 2019 5:04 am
I have never had to deal with a tornado, it seems that there are so many ways that nature can make our lives miserable.

Did you see that in Tempe, AZ, a barista at Starbucks told police officers to leave (they were paying customers, too) because one other customer felt uncomfortable . . .?????? What?? Did that customer have a warrant outstanding?? and the feelings of one is more important than that of other customers. . .Starbucks apologized. . .but to me it was not really sincere. . .it goes back to what has happened to the America I have grown up in??

Dedicated Citizen
Sun Jul 07, 2019 4:41 pm
Very true. Mother Nature is the boss. XD

No, I didn't see that! Wow! Confused I know that police officers do make people nervous. That includes me, and I don't even do anything wrong. But to ask them to leave?! That's just ridiculous. I'm surprised they left, and I wouldn't have blamed them if they refused. I think that America is gone forever unless we bring it back somehow.

Defender of the Realm
Sun Jul 07, 2019 4:57 pm
I have to agree, we need to bring back sanity. . .we need to be able to talk to each other even if we disagree with each other and be free to disagree to disagree. . .I know of long-time friendships being torn apart because of politics, religion or PC madness. . .I think we can accept the differences among us without having to recognize 30 plus genders (??) or using made up pronouns. . .we need to be able to say things like "Merry Christmas" or "Happy Hanukkah" without fearing that we may offend someone. . .and we need to stop erasing and rewriting history. . .we have made mistakes, but we have also made great strides to overcome those mistakes.

Forget about Global Warming/Climate Change (which is blamed for almost everything). . .we need to worry about Mother Nature!

Dedicated Citizen
Mon Jul 08, 2019 12:17 am
I don't know how to bring back sanity except maybe to start ignoring the squeaky wheels. The squeaky wheel usually gets the grease though. Perhaps the government could start punishing those who won't allow everyone to exercise their First Amendment rights? They could start with businesses and colleges, and then work their way up to individuals. The bottom line is that we've let them get by with it. Slowly. Now it's a big problem. Ignoring and not giving in would go a long way. I guess you've heard about the trouble in Georgia regarding their new abortion laws? Hollywood is throwing a fit and threatening to not film there. I say good riddance. When did Hollywood get to decide what we do, and what laws we can pass? Confused Mad

Someone once told me that if you want to keep your friends, don't talk about religion or politics. That's probably the safer way, but we should all be able to discuss things without blowing our tops, especially if the people having a conversation are close. I hear you. Yes Personally, I just care about people. I don't really mind (or need to know) what color, religion, gender, sexual preference, etc. someone is. I don't care what someone weighs, how much money they make, etc. either. As long as they're kind, we won't have any problems. I always say Merry Christmas. So far no one has gotten upset with me for saying it.

Very true. She's a beast all by herself. Always has been. XD She usually makes things right eventually though.

Dedicated Citizen
Mon Jul 08, 2019 4:18 am
I don't trust the government with anything right now, to be honest. It's composed of selfish, greedy, and sometimes ignorant people. When the government actually starts to care about the people it governs, then maybe I'll expect them to do something useful.

I usually avoid serious talk though text. The last few times I tried, I got called a snowflake for simply disagreeing with someone. Mind you, they didn't offend me in anyway, I simply stated my disagreement, which I guess they had a problem with. /shrug

Defender of the Realm
Mon Jul 08, 2019 5:32 am
Lady Riley, I think that is what is wrong with the government, both parties seem to be more concerned about stopping the other one, that they all forget that they are supposed to be working for us (all of us) and not necessarily just for their parties.

Lady Rayven, I agree and I think both Hollywood and athletes and others really believe they are the ones who should be dictating to the rest of us

I think that people should be judged by their actions and not by what niche they may identify with, how they treat people or react to others is more important than what color, religion, gender, sexual preference, etc. someone is.

I, too, say "Merry Christmas", but I have noticed than more stores seem to move towards the "Happy Holidays" instead.

Dedicated Citizen
Mon Jul 08, 2019 12:37 pm
Riley-I completely agree with you on that. Politicians are a dime a dozen. At the end of the day, they are usually only concerned about themselves, and/or they are not likely to go against big business, which makes it hard to accomplish anything that might actually help the little guy.

I don't blame you. For one thing, it can be hard to get one's point across through writing sometimes. It's also easy to misinterpret someone through writing. They might appear snarky when they're not trying to be. Although, I think I do a better job of explaining myself through writing. In person I tend to think I must be speaking Greek since I often feel misunderstood. XD They shouldn't have said that. You had every right to disagree.

Sir Scarz-Yeah they do. I just want them to do their job and be quiet. XD

Yeah, but saying Happy Holidays doesn't come easy to me. I tend to separate the holidays out instead of lumping them together. I've never heard anyone in my family say Happy Holidays so I guess that's why I never say it either. Lol

Defender of the Realm
Mon Jul 08, 2019 5:47 pm
I found that when posting the same "Happy Birthday America" notice on another site, someone immediately tried to make it an argument about "Free" National Healthcare and that if we hadn't fought for Independence, we would now have it (as if that would have been reason enough not to fight for independence). . .which had nothing to do with my expression of love of country. and even when I told him, that because we fought for our freedoms, that he was welcome to continue to express his views even if I disagreed with his argument of whether it was actually "free" insurance or not. . .it seems he was only looking to try to force his opinion on me, even though I respectfully agreed to disagree. . .that is the way of a zealot, IMHO and to me, there really is no talking to someone who is completely set in stone, one way or the other.

Dedicated Citizen
Mon Jul 08, 2019 8:58 pm
I'm sorry you had that experience Sir Scarz. Sad That is so silly anyway. Even if we hadn't fought for our independence, whose to say that we'd have free healthcare??? Confused I don't believe those two things are synonymous. That's very true. I always try to keep an open mind when talking about serious topics like this. I'm willing to listen to the other person's point of view, and I hope that they will listen to mine. There are very few things I'm set in stone about. There are a few things that aren't just black and white to me. At the very least, I can usually understand how someone else might feel different from me about something, even if I can't agree with them for whatever reason. It all goes back to what we've been saying about how some people don't even want to listen to reason anymore. Take immigration for example. The left keeps using the fact that America is a land of immigrants as an excuse to keep letting whoever wants to come in stay here without having them go through the legal process. It just doesn't work long term, not unless they want our country to turn into the same cesspools the immigrants are fleeing from. The American tax payers shouldn't have to pay for illegal immigrants food, insurance, welfare checks, etc. I know most of them come to work, but not all of them do, especially at first. They need help to get started. Plus there's the crime to worry about, and diseases. Even back in the days of Ellis Island they checked to see if the immigrants were healthy and able to work before they let them in, and they didn't get free healthcare or a check. They had to be able to support themselves. We needed to let immigrants in at the time because this country wasn't very populated, except for the Native Americans who I feel truly sorry for. Our country is now basically full. I mean we have more room, but I don't want to end up like China. Way over-populated and polluted. I love my wide open, clean spaces. Some people's motivation for letting things continue as they have been are pure. They care about people. I do too, but I believe in taking care of our own citizens first. We can't save everybody, and if I was going to try to save another country, I'd probably pick Ethiopia. Those poor starving babies break my heart. I don't believe the politician's motivations are pure though. They just want votes, and I think there's something more sinister going on but I can't prove that. To top it all off, I can't think of another country off the top of my head that just says, "Come on in. We'll take everybody." Why should be be expected to have open borders?!

Defender of the Realm
Mon Jul 08, 2019 9:31 pm
I truly believe that a country without borders is no longer a country and it does seem that the left cares more about illegal immigrants than they do about American citizens. . .between the veterans, the homeless and the opioid crisis, we have more than enough to worry about without adding millions of more illegal immigrants and giving away the farm.

IMHO, the left equates illegal immigrants to legal immigrants, or they call everyone a refugee (even though 90% of those claims are determined to be false). They claimed there was no crisis at the border and now call detention centers "concentration camps". . . they complain about the death of children, yet many of those deaths were because the children arrived here already sick (after a trek of thousands of miles in the most horrible conditions)

We have diseases that were all but unknown in this country for decades on the rise, TB, measles, mumps, etc., which is made worse by the anti-vaxxers, leaving our own children vulnerable, too.

I really do think they are looking at these illegals as future voters. . .and they do not want to compromise, when compromise could help. . .things like enforcing E-verify and making companies pay if they hire illegals. . .they could bring back the migrant worker program, that give farm workers a legal way to come here when workers are needed.

They need to do something for the DACA "children". . .the worst of it was they almost had a deal, which included money for the wall and better border security and that's where the compromise faltered.

The problem is compromise actually requires both sides to work together. . .that is the problem.

I am sorry we seemed to have taken this to a political tone.

Dedicated Citizen
Tue Jul 09, 2019 1:01 am
Compromise is hard for everyone, not just politicians. However, they are being paid to find answers. I say if they can't compromise they shouldn't get paid, and if that doesn't work after a short period of time they should be replaced. I believe Parliament does something like that.

Oh don't be. I'm not. Very Happy If you're tired of talking about it I understand though. I like talking about politics even though I'm not an expert. I usually only have my Dad to talk to about it. If I try to talk to my Mom about it her eyes glaze over. XD

Established Citizen
Tue Jul 09, 2019 2:01 am
Rayven and I have wound up B wording at each other, and we're still friends. I think that is one thing people need to relearn now days. Like you say, how to be different but friends anyhow.

Warning, politically incorrect rant ahead.

I also don't give a (deleted) who people (deleted), and I wish people would stop expecting me to praise people for it. It's a topic I have no interest in whatsoever, and the fact that I wouldn't exist without sex doesn't mean that I HAVE to be interested in it. I can't live without pooping, and I don't see anyone hollering that I'm taking a negative view about that because I'm not yapping about it 24/7!

Scarz

Defender of the Realm
Tue Jul 09, 2019 3:36 am
Lady Rayven, I have no problem talking about it, at work, though, I have few ladies I work with that react like your Mom does. . .the eyes glaze over and they find something else to do.

Sometimes I think we should pick the House and the Senate by lottery rather than voting for someone who wants to go there and then does nothing once they get there. "The Speaker of the House, Lady Rayven, recognizes the Congressman from Nevada, Sir Scarz. . ." *chuckles* Not that I would ever really want to be there, but I think normal people could get the job done better than professional politicians.

Lady Tam, friends can definitely disagree and even call each other names but friendships can handle it, that is why I find it so strange, that it seems so many people are turning away from each other over politics now.

Page 307 of 319