Purkle-licious! Purkle-tastic! Purkle-riffic! Purklerama!!!!
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... , 480, 481, 482  Next
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Back to Forum -> Pubs and Clubs [Nov.'19]
Blazestorm

Queen of the Realm
Mon Oct 01, 2012 5:17 pm
...draw a timeline on the wall... put little pictures up. color code it. quiz them by taking down the pictures and having them put them back up at the right spot. give them perspective by showing "us now" or something else relevant that they'll recognize and identify with...

remember to breathe... and have fun!! FUN!!!
Tisiel

Knight of Zantarni
Tue Oct 02, 2012 3:26 pm
That's a good idea actually... **makes a mental note**
Sat Oct 06, 2012 6:19 pm
That is a brilliant idea. Fact is it isn't Mikes struggling so much as me. The particular subject matter is... Well dull. Maps, and globes and directions. We are JUST getting into "history" but it is still suuuuper basic. Like what is a historian and what History means... and what an archaeologist is and what they do... V_V It was all stuff I hated as a kid. And apparently still do... But Michael has been in school since he was 4 years old and they have NEVER TOUCHED ON HISTORY!!! All they do in our school district is math and language and science is a ONCE A WEEK thing. Ugh it's frustrating. We are doing better now. I still loath doing his history class with him, but his teacher advised me to skip lessons if he has the hang of things which he does. We have an inflatable globe that he's pretty pro at finding continents on and doing directions and stuff so now we are hopefully going to be able to head more into actual history.

Tisiel

Knight of Zantarni
Mon Oct 08, 2012 9:06 pm
Well, for directions, see if you can get him a compass and teach him how to use it in your backyard. Then have him "map out" your yard to the points of the compass.

You could also tie it in to how ancient travelers used to be able to tell directions before the advent of compasses... And from there let *him* pick a period and find out elements that were prevalent to that period (food, clothing, tools...)

Tie that to the timeline on your wall. Add another period and rinse and repeat. History is only boring because of the way it was taught to us growing up, but it doesn't have to be. Mike's going to benefit from a far more "hands on" approach to history!

Long-term Citizen
Thu Nov 01, 2012 2:03 am
The stars in the evening sky are some of the brighest stars. Learning about them would be a fun way to learn about direction and ancient navigation.

I like history, especially ancient and medieval history. History was my major in college.

Tisiel

Knight of Zantarni
Fri Nov 02, 2012 12:03 am
I admire you for picking it. I was so disgusted with it by the time I left high school I had no interest in learning any of it. (Of course, I was studying in Quebec at the time and the history was restricted to the history of Quebec, barely touching upon anywhere else in the world. Quebec is simply not old enough be be interesting year after year.)

Long-term Citizen
Fri Nov 02, 2012 1:25 am
I grew up and continue to live in the Pittsburgh area. It was all about the French and Indian War and the American Revolution in elementary school. In Middle School we did the United States Civil War and the World Wars. It was rarely anything else that in class until I got to college.
Tisiel

Knight of Zantarni
Fri Nov 02, 2012 2:16 pm
**Shakes head** You still got more than we did! Maybe not a whole lot more, but still more.

It's sad, really. Because I did find history interesting at the start. It was just so repetitive that they lost me by my final year in high school.

So yeah... I'm glad that your school didn't bore you to tears on the subject, Angel. we *need* people who are acutely aware of our histories!

Mon Nov 05, 2012 8:20 pm
We have gotten beyond maps and directions finally and are into Roman and Greek history. I can definitely sink my teeth into it MUCH easier then maps and directions O_o

Tisiel

Knight of Zantarni
Wed Nov 07, 2012 6:25 pm
HUZZAH!! Congrats on the progress, Jazz! Heart
Thu Nov 08, 2012 5:18 pm
Burr... I'm freezing. :/ I dislike the cold... Ellie looks so warm, wish I could sneak off and nap with her.

Tisiel

Knight of Zantarni
Fri Nov 09, 2012 3:15 pm
YES! Naps are amazing, especially when you're feeling cold. The only problem is getting out from under the blankets after you wake up! D:
Thu Dec 27, 2012 9:12 pm
Don't know why but I've wandered a bit lurking and checking up on posts here and there, it seems like posts are missing all over the place. Some mine other is seems like whole portions of the thread are gone O_o;;

Naps are amazing no matter how rare lol... It's not hard for me to get out of the covers from a nap, at least now it isn't, I usually wake up to a kid or two causing trouble. Or the baby scurrying away from me which means she is scurrying towards trouble lol.

Thu Dec 27, 2012 9:14 pm
Parts of the thread are missing??? I didn't even know that could happen. Ho have you been Jazz?
Thu Dec 27, 2012 9:21 pm
I've been pretty good freezing lately, I don't do well in the cold... AT ALL... And my furnace is acting funny so it is EXTRA cold T__T How have you been??

I mostly notice where I had (or thought I had) posted and it seems like I had never posted it...

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Back to Forum -> Pubs and Clubs [Nov.'19] All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... , 480, 481, 482  Next
Page 481 of 482