501 AMT - Issue III
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Back to Forum -> Archived Threads
Esmerla

Knight of Zantarni
Zantarni NPC
Wed Jan 10, 2007 6:32 am

Welcome to 501 AMT!
501 AMT was a bi-weekly magazine all about Zantarni.com
It will now be released every three weeks or so due to problems with illustrations. Oh and time.
It will reveal upcoming features, interview members, organize competitions, introduce parts of the storyline … and much more. Have fun reading and enjoy your mushroom soup.

501 AMT stands for 501 After Mysterious Traveler. The Mysterious Traveler is when the current Zantarni era began. The stories tell of a prophecy… A traveler would come to Edingtol, and that traveler would be the beginning of the new legend.
So things did not turn out as magically and majestically as expected… but after a great celebration and lots of alcohol and intercourse, slowly the change occurred and nothing would be the same. The goddess, Lilitu Medea, faced her downfall and Zantarni was in distress.
Now, 500 years later… we are yet again at the edge of a new era. The goddess that had fallen is returning, but not with the intentions of doing good.

On that note, it is 502 AMT now. Happy new year everyone! I really do hope we will all follow Yorick in his footsteps and that the stars may defeat the night around them.

Esmerla

Knight of Zantarni
Zantarni NPC
Wed Jan 10, 2007 6:32 am

Hello my dear Zantarnians,

For this very first issue in 502 AMT we have an admin on the run, lots of star touched items, peace between the members and especially nothing of importance. I have been on a trip to research some rumours and as I returned I found no articles, no advice, no illustrations. I hope my words are enough for you, as this issue is obviously a creation of holiday laziness.

This issue’s topics:
- Staff updates
- The interview
- The Coral Education Institute
- Edingtol’s Political System
- St. Yorick’s Day Parade
- Competition
- The Noticeboard
- Ads

Esmerla

Knight of Zantarni
Zantarni NPC
Wed Jan 10, 2007 6:33 am

Staff updates

To begin with. She annoucend her retirement in the knights keep, and never made a fuss about it. Our brave Knight Zelta, has given up her sword and retreated to her castle in a far away land.

Tom told us he will be back. But will he? I wouldn’t blame him from running as far away from Edingtol as possible. Lets hope he will return energised, organised and motivated.

Meririm: “.... I'm supposed to do something?”

Esmerla

Knight of Zantarni
Zantarni NPC
Wed Jan 10, 2007 6:34 am

The interview

For this issue’s interview I found a very special friend of mine willing to answer some questions. It might be his profession, to answer questions, but those are very different from mine.
I found the little kettle hovering over the stairs that lead to the Great Wizard’s Guild of Edingtol, enjoying the afternoon sun, not feeling the cold. As I did not want to sit down on the snow covered steps that lead to the magnificent Wizard’s Guild I invited Arthur inside a cute little pub. At the bar Arthur tried to begin a conversation with the bartender but I was quick to cut him off and made him focus his attention on me instead.

1) Arthur, are you truly the first living kettle?
Why, I don’t know Esmerla. Perhaps some kettles can fly and some kettles can speak and some kettles can cook. Though as no Wizard is the same, no kettle is either.

2) How did you come to be then? Who are your parents?
Don’t be silly. Kettles don’t reproduce. Or at least, not as far as I know. I could try some time. A Wizard created me. You know him. His name is Shazaam. It was not a complicated spell, really. Or maybe it was. Anyway, he hummed a song and there I was. Never underestimate the charming powers of music. Honestly, I warn you. Do not randomly hum a song. Strange things will happen.

3) What is your goal in life then, as the first known living kettle?
Whatever Shazaam wishes me to achieve. He is the most kind person I know and I want to do nothing more than to please him. I am not a loyal pet. This is what I want, myself, my own choice.

4) In the spirit of the new year, do you have any resolutions?
I should drink less beer, I should be able to focus better and pay attention to only one thing at a time, I should try to land softer and not damage any street stones or chairs anymore… and I wish to find a companion maybe, another kettle like me… but I’ll see about that when the time comes.

5) And because everyone is dying to know… did you or did you not meet Yorick the Brave?
Ah, no, I did not. Our paths did cross but I never got to see him. I arrived in Edingtol only moments after the explosion. Shazaam was the first to find one of the strange orbs. But I did not meet Yorick and I am glad I did not meet him… for I would have only missed him more.

At this Arthur ordered a beer and I got up. Better leave the kettle be. It was the first day of the new year but I did not correct him for drinking. I would have, but I didn’t… as my new years resolutions are to be less nosy, less of a perfectionist and especially to not try to be better than others all the time. I know I will fail, but in my heart I tried at least, just to be better than everyone who does not try.

Esmerla

Knight of Zantarni
Zantarni NPC

The Coral Education Institute

As the big competition has roughly one weeks left before it ends… and much debate is going on as how it will be judged, I decided to volunteer with some information.
The competition will be judged using the official forms of the Coral Education Institute of Coral, a city that is closer to Edingtol than that of the Dwarves or Orcs or Wood Elves… but not where you expect it to be. Coral lies on one of the three pirate island, as the folk of Edingtol call the islands. It is inhabited, obviously, by pirates.
You may wonder… why seek the best of education… at a location so rough as that? Well I wondered as well. So I boarded a ship and off I went, to the islands. Not quite steady and pretty pale I arrived in a city more busy than Edingtol, if you can even imagine.
Instantly it was clear to me. Gone was the stereotype man with a beard and a bottle of rum. My guide in Coral was a spicy girl with red hair. Her movements steady, determined and elegant.
I understood later, but I will tell you now, pirates are not made by the sea. They study. It is like the difference between a not quite cool beer and a rich wine. Understanding and studying and improving… that is what it takes to navigate at night, to protect your mates and to battle the enemy.
Though that is not why I travelled to Coral. I made the journey to find a proper way to judge.
This is what the deal is: You have pixel art, sketches, cell shaded, word as legends, words as diaries, words as poetry. That, and… you have navigation, meditation, balance, fighting, social skills, leading skills and misleading skills… These many things I mentioned can be combined into two. Art and a Pirate. Now tell me, honestly. Before this you said I can not judge art. Yet you would have snapped your fingers and judged a pirate, just like I did. A pirate with a wooden leg and an eye patch and a speech defect.
And this is… why I present you the Coral Grading System for the Academy of Art. All pirates, all art.

FI (First Impression) – no explanation needed

Q SIC (Quality Standard in Category) – quality of the entry in it’s own category (pixel, written, etc.)
Q SO (Quality Standard Overall) – own level of quality, all entries taken into account
Q SC (Quality Standard Comparison) - level of quality in comparison with other entries in the same category
Q SA (Quality Standard Average) - no explanation needed

EM (Emotional Level) – how much of true emotions and feelings are noticeable
CS (Contest Standards) – to which extent the contest theme was taken into account (avatar heroes)

O (Originality) - no explanation needed
C (Creativity) - no explanation needed
A (Attention) – how much attention was given to the creation of the entry (time taken, media used)
OCAA (OCA Average) – no explanation needed

TS (Total Score) - no explanation needed

This form will be filled out by all Knights that do not enter and… are able to understand it. An average will be calculated, and so the winners will be chosen.

Esmerla

Knight of Zantarni
Zantarni NPC

Edingtol’s Political System

Inspired by the new debate forum, the Scholar’s Table, I thought it would be a good time to explain a bit about politics.
Edingtol is not ruled by a dictator. She would harshly rule all citizens and they would constantly live in fear. Most magic would not be allowed… and to the door of the Wizard’s Guild she would stick a list with words that can not be uttered.
But that’s not how Edingtol is ruled.
Edingtol is ruled by two ancient Wizards: Aled and Gwynfor. They might be a bit clumsy, a bit absent… but they have a wisdom we can’t even try to comprehend. They rule together, as Senators you might say. As a Democracy.
Do you think they argue with the citizens? What a pitiful way to waste their time. No, that’s my job. Leaders – assistants. Administrators – Knights.
Anyway, what I am trying to write… is that you have influence. You choose the leaders. One can not lead without followers. One can not solve problems without solutions.
Edingtol was once ruled by Kings and Queens. Ever wonder why they are not here anymore now? Magic took over. Wizards and their magical way of working together.

Esmerla

Knight of Zantarni
Zantarni NPC
Wed Jan 10, 2007 6:35 am

St. Yorick’s Day Parade

By Scarz

There seemed to be more activity around St. Yorick’s Day, the thought of celebrating the great Saint's life was on many people's minds. It truly seemed like the people needed to feel his giving spirit in their everyday life, more than ever. Times seemed more unsteady, more unstable. It seemed that arguments were erupting over petty things and the spirit of friendship and giving was being all but forgotten.

The people seemed to be losing face in those who governed and those whose job it was to protect and defend them. It seemed that Zantarni was falling into a deep and dark funk of distrust and disbelief in the spirit of cooperation and giving.

It seemed that the Knights were being called out to try to break up these petty squabbles and found themselves getting more and more embroiled in them. The faire lands of Zantarni were in an uproar and the Lords and Ladies on high seemed powerless to do anything to calm the masses.

Something was needed to be done. As Scarz and Lightning patrolled through the streets of the city proper, he was stopped by a small boy who was crying and hungry. Scarz, dismounted and comforted the boy, giving him some apples and then mounted Lightning again, lifting the boy to the back of his saddle and then taking him to the city shelter. The boy thanked him and kissed Lightning and before he entered the shelter he asked if there would be a parade on St. Yorick’s Day. Scarz assured the boy that somehow, there would be.

Leaving the boy he headed to the Knight’s barracks. He put Lightning away in the stables and headed in to talk with the other Knights about a parade. It was discussed but not much seemed to be agreed upon. Scarz went back to the stables, and brushed Lightning’s coat, then re-saddled him and went out into the apple orchard. He had an idea, to start a new tradition. He picked as many apples as he could, filling a couple burlap sacks and throwing them over the back of Lightning. Then they went home.

After again putting Lightning away for the night, he went in and talked to his Lady Nema about what he wanted to do. He knew it wasn’t much, but if it made even one person happy in these times of mistrust and sadness, t would be worth it. She had smiled and agreed that it was a good idea. They both stayed up all night making preparations.

Soon morning came and Lady Nema and Scarz were busy, preparing their mounts. Both Lightning and Talisman, had their manes and tails braided, with roses entwined in the braids. Their reins we bedecked with a variety of flowers and their saddle blanket were covered with flowers that hand been woven together by Lady Nema and Scarz.

Scarz smiled as he placed two large baskets on either sides of the saddles, and filled them with the apples. Then it was time for Lady Nema and Scarz to get themselves prepared.

Lady Nema and Scarz had removed all of the weapons that they would normally have carried, and put on the flower crowns they had woven and the flower necklaces, and flowered capes that they had made for themselves and returned to the stable.

Scarz helped Lady Nema mount Talisman, then handed her a tambourine and small drum. He smiled as she looked so beautiful. He then turned and mounted Lightning and as they left the stable, he pulled out his small wooden flute. As they entered the town, he started playing it accompanied by Lady Nema. Playing songs of St. Yorick. . . .”The hands of Yorick are upon us” followed by “St. Yorick, the brave.”

As the music was played, citizens began to come out of their homes. They smiled when they saw Scarz and Lady Nema, and Lightning and Talisman, resplendent in their flowers. As they came, Scarz and Lady Nema handed out apples to all.

As they played and rode slowly towards the centre of town, more and more citizens joined them and soon others had brought out instruments and joined in with the playing of the songs of St. Yorick. There were even those who started singing the songs, and soon Scarz and Lady Nema were leading a parade through the centre of town…a parade filled with music and dancing and laughter and joy. Apples were handed out to all and as they got to the city centre, near the city shelter, Scarz dismounted as did Lady Nema and they found their way to the Gazebo in the centre of the park. Lightning and Talisman standing beside it and children danced and sang as other citizens mounted the gazebo, to also play their instruments, the songs on St. Yorick filled the air.

The small boy that Scarz had helped the night before came rushing out of the shelter with the others who were staying there and he saw Scarz and Lightning at the gazebo and rushed to them. Smiling and singing as he ran.

Scarz smiled as he saw the boy and waved as the boy got near. Someone else had taken up the mantle of passing out apples, taking the baskets from both Lightning and Talisman and soon others were wearing flowered crowns and necklaces they had woven.

Scarz looked to Lady Nema and smiled. She smiled in return as they danced as they played. The little by had made his way to the gazebo and hugged Scarz.

“Sir it is the best parade I have ever seen. St. Yorick would have been proud. Thank you for all you have done.” The young boy was smiling and dancing.

Scarz looked at the little boy, “This is what St. Yorick’s day should be all about, everyone having fun and enjoying the day. Dancing and singing and enjoying the company of so many others, all troubles forgotten, at least for this day.”

Esmerla

Knight of Zantarni
Zantarni NPC
Wed Jan 10, 2007 6:36 am

Competition

I hope you remember a competition began last month. It is still going.
------ Deadline is January 15
------ Entries can be posted in the announcement
------ You can find the competition information in 501 AMT issue II which is located in the City Hall
------ Questions can be PMed to me
And the fabulous prizes:
1. Fake Archangel Wings
2. Fake Angel Wings
3. Fake Cherubim Wings

Esmerla

Knight of Zantarni
Zantarni NPC
Wed Jan 10, 2007 6:37 am

Ads

Artists wanted

Well you see now how vital the illustrations are. Because this issue has none. I received a couple of drawings but I would rather do them justice in next issue, between many others.
Read below.

Reporters wanted
I am feeling a bit alone here. I’d like some official staff. No more magazine run solely by me.
I will be creating a post in the Storyteller’s Book and anyone who wants to make the magazine can post articles and art and make suggestions… and so on. Take action, take over. Tom was going to create a special page for me but that’s obviously not happening for a while and I am too busy to keep waiting.

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Back to Forum -> Archived Threads All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1