[St Yoricks 2021; Quest Log] The Wizard's Guild Announcement
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Back to Forum -> Archived Threads
Esmerla

Knight of Zantarni
Zantarni NPC
Thu Jan 06, 2022 5:24 am

Part 1 - The Wizard's Guild Announcement

The town square is bustling today with the chatter of citizens who are running some last minute errands. Just like with every year, there were still many people looking for last minute gifts, or buying the perfect food in preparation for their St. Yorick's day feast.

However, you notice that today, many people are gathered around the front of the Wizard's Guild. A woman makes her way up to the makeshift podium that is set up in front of the building. The woman clears her throat, and by some form of magic all that have been gathered around can hear her voice clearly.

"Hello everyone! As many of you may know, my name is Esmerla and I am the first assistant to the Council at the great Wizards Guild of Edingtol. We at the Wizard's guild are very greatful to be here today, for as you know it has now been 515 years since this wonderful building has been rebuilt after the great battle between St. Yorick and the goddess Lilitu Medea. Though it was devastating at the time and we lost some very good wizards, we have rebuilt and persevered. And so, on this auspicious date we have been given the honour by the Queen and her Knights to host this year's celebration of St. Yorick's day."

Esmerla pauses as the gathered crowd cheers. Her lips curl up slightly at this but then she clears her throat and recomposes herself. "Thank you everyone! We have many activities planned for you all to enjoy, with a special highlight being some magic demonstrations for you all. Please take a look at the scroll pinned on the information board for more details. But for now, I thank you all for your time and wish you all a Happy St. Yorick's day!"

With that Esmerla curtsies and the crowd claps once more.

Curious as to what these activities are, you move over to the information board and something catches your eye:

The Wizard's guild is hosting a magical contest for the finale of their celebration. Participants will put on a display of magic to celebrate St. Yorick's day and the 515th anniversary of the rebuilding of the Wizard's guild.

- No previous magical experience required -

Intrigued, you look over to the sign up sheet and wonder if you should sign up and join.
Esmerla

Knight of Zantarni
Zantarni NPC
Thu Jan 06, 2022 5:30 am

Part 2 - Wizarding 101

After deciding to sign up for the contest, you arrive at the Wizards Guild early in the morning. When you enter, you see all manner of wizards in their pointy hats and flowy robes scurrying all over the guild. You're sure that they must all be very busy making preparations to celebrate St. Yorick's day. However, amidst all the hustle and bustle, what stands out to you the most is a large marble statue of an angelic looking female and male wizard standing together in the middle of the main hall.

You move closer to the statue to get a better look at its details and as you do, you notice there is a plaque before the statue with an inscription:

"In memory of the brave wizards we lost during the great battle. May their sacrifice remind us of the terrible power and great mercy of magic."

You look up again at the statue and notice that you are not the only one looking at it. Standing a little ways off is a young woman in green wizard robes.

"It's a beautiful statue, isn't it?" The woman says when she notices you looking at her. "I can't help but be in awe no matter how many times I see it."

You smile shyly and nod. "Ah yes, I couldn't help but look at it." You put out your hand and introduce yourself to the woman.

The woman shakes your hand and then says, "Please to meet you. My name is Eve."

"Eve? That's a nice name." You say.

Eve smiles. "Thank you! My mom always liked the name, and my parents being wizards, of course liked that it was a palindrome."

You raise an eyebrow in curiosity. "A palindrome?"

Eve nods. "Yes! It is spelled the same forwards as backwards. Palindromes have always been special to us wizards as they tend to signify rarity and balance."

You nod in understanding.

"Well, " Eve begins to say, "It was nice to meet you, but I need to start prepping for my class."

"Oh! Are you a teacher?"

Eve grins. "Well... not exactly. I'm a senior wizard apprentice with the guild. I'm giving classes to the newer wizards and the general public to help tutor those who are planning to enter the big magic contest."

"Oh!" You exclaim. "That's me, actually. I signed up for the contest, but I wasn't exactly sure of the details."

Eve chuckles. "Well, it's a good thing I ran into you then. We are going to go through all the basics of what is expected for the contest..." Eve pauses for a moment and has a distraught look on her face. "However, I may have underestimated just how much prep is needed for this class. I have so much to do and not enough time to get ready for it."

You smile at the woman. "Well, we still have some time right? Maybe I can help you?"

Eve's face brightens. "Are you sure?"

You nod.

"Thank you so much!" Eve exclaims. "I have most of my notes prepared, but I underestimated just how much people were planning to attend today and our store room of magical supplies are running low.

For the magical enhancement lessons we need some gems. Both the blue and red ones. I know that some people forage deep underground to find them. But you may also be able to find a special collector who specifically deals in those items. Perhaps you can convince them to donate some to us?

For the potions portions, we are going to brew some luck. So first off, we are going to need some clovers. I know that they seem like a pretty common item, but it is hard to find in these colder months. But perhaps if you ask around, you can find people who like to keep them as they know how valuable they really are.

The other item we need is a bit more rare: shooting star fragments."

Eve laughs at your look of astonishment. "Now, there is a man that does deal in rare items. I think he may even catalogue them. Perhaps if you start there, you may find what you are looking for."

You nod and say, "I'll see what I can do!"
Esmerla

Knight of Zantarni
Zantarni NPC
Thu Jan 06, 2022 5:32 am

Part 3 - A Quest for Knowledge

"...and so, I hope that whether you decide to brew a potion, or to create a magical enchantment, that you all put your best feeling into your contest entry."

The class clapped at the end of Eve's speech marking the end of the tutorial session. Eve blushed slightly but then curtsied in thanks.

As everyone is getting ready to leave, you gather your things and then approach Eve.

"You did a great job today!" You say.

"Really? You really mean it?!"

You nod and a large smile brightens the woman's face.

"I couldn't have done it without all your help. So really, if I can help you with anything, please let me know!"

"Well..." you begin to say. "...while this class helped a lot, I'm still on a loss at what I actually want to do for the contest. Do you have any suggestions on what magic I should do for it?"

"Hmmm..." Eve says as she considers your words. "I can't give you any direct advice as that would be unfair to the other contestants, but... I think that if you are unsure of what exactly you want to do, the best thing to do next is to read up more on your subject."

"I guess so..." You say, "...but I have no idea where to start..."

Eve pats you on the shoulder. "As a professional student, that's where I come in!

First off, you are going to make sure you have all the right materials. You'll want to stock up on ink of course, so make sure you go straight to the source.
Then, you will definitely need quills - at least 2. As a student, I've personally found that the easiest and cheapest way to get quills is to visit a place with a lot of feathered animals. Finding where they nest is key!

As for what to read, you'll most likely get the best suggestions from one of our most prominent members. She is quite busy, but she is one of the most informed people in Edingtol. You'll want to definitely make a list of everything she suggests for you to read. However, if you are finding it all too daunting, I would also suggest finding some buddies to read with. Having someone to share a book with makes reading go by even faster."

Your head is spinning, but you nod as you set out to do some research.
Esmerla

Knight of Zantarni
Zantarni NPC
Thu Jan 06, 2022 5:36 am

Part 4 - Balance

You spent hours poring over books and learning all that you could about magic, wizards, St. Yorick and the great battle that happened so many years ago. You racked your brain to think of how you could boil down so many different things into 1 display of magic. It seemed impossible, but you knew that this was your chance to show how much this season really meant to you.

You thought back to your meeting with Eve and her tutorial session. You remember her talking about palindromes and learned that what wizards valued very highly was balance. Two things may seem to oppose each other, but are actually the two sides of the same coin.

And what about St. Yorick's day itself? It was definitely a celebration of the Saint himself and how he helped us all. But there was also another part of this day. A sober reminder that sacrifices had to be made in order to achieve this peace.

And then it hit you: The essence of a risen saint and the fall of natural life.

But how could you find such a thing?

For fallen life, the first thing that sprang to your mind was a battle. At the end of a serious fight, there was always one side that falls.

But maybe that was a bit too extreme. Each person has good and bad in them. Perhaps you could find these essences in the choices you make in life.

However, the more you think about it, the more you think that maybe you need more knowledge. There must be someone wizened enough to gift you with that you are looking for.

In any case, the first thing you'll need is to get a simple common wand to start with, ready to be enchanted.
Esmerla

Knight of Zantarni
Zantarni NPC
Thu Jan 06, 2022 5:38 am

Part 5 - The Magic Contest

You take a deep breath to steady yourself. You can't believe it is almost your turn in the contest. You feel your palms get sweaty as you grip your bone handled wand. As you focus on the wand in your hand, a memory comes to your mind.

You remember gathering your items and approaching Eve to help you with enchanting your wand. She looked surprised, but impressed with what you brought her. Eve instructs you on how to draw a magic circle and then you bring all the items together onto it. You both join together and begin chanting the magical incantation so that the items all combine together.

You snap back to the present as you hear your name being called. You look up with a start to see Esmerla peering at you from the stage and then motion for you to come over. You feel your cheeks burn in embarrassment and quickly make your way onto the stage.

The crowd claps as you make your way on stage, but now that you're up here and have all these people looking at you, you feel your nerves come back. You can't even remember the spell you had practiced for this day. The crowd starts to quiet down to a murmur the longer you stand up there in silence. However, you hear a familiar voice shout out your name.

You look up to see Eve in the crowd with a reassuring smile on your face. "You got this!" she calls out.

You nod at her appreciatively and then take a deep breath to steady yourself. Instead of looking at the crowd, you focus your eyes on the snowy mountains in the background. You go back through your memory banks and remember all the time you spent in the Great Library. You remember reading about these mountains and how the people in the towns near them had spoken about legends of how there had been small creatures dwelling in their peaks. Supposedly, they even used their large feet to ski on the snow. You couldn't help but smile at thinking of such an image.
Feeling more at ease, you feel the rest of your training and preparation kick in.
Lifting up your wand, you point toward them and say:

"Life rises as life falls
Deed deified for all
Deed deliver, reviled deed
Life of peace, life of need
Always remember, never forget
The terror of magic,
Yet life it begets"

A small spark starts to appear on the tip of your wand as you feel power starting to surge through it. You grip your wand more tightly as all of a sudden, golden sparks fly out of your wand and into the sky. Your eyes follow them as they fly high in the sky. Then, they burst in a golden, sparkling, explosion.

You gasp at the sight, as you did not expect it to be that large and so loud. You even think you see the snow on the mountains in the background move. You couldn't have caused an avalanche, could you?

However, before you can think about this further, you hear the crowd burst into a huge applause.

You blush a bit and bow as Esmerla walks onto the stage.

She puts a hand on your arm and says, "Well done!" before turning to the crowd. "Well, I think we can all safely say that we know who the winner of the contest is!" She backs away and the crowd continues to applause.

"Eve?" Esmerla begins to say, and then motions to the woman who is now standing on the side of the stage. "Can you please bring over the prize?"

Eve nods and brings over a large bundle in her arms. As she hands it to you, she says, "Congratulations! Thank you for sharing with us how much St. Yorick's day means to you."