28%  [ 2 ]
Yes but number 2
71%
 71%  [ 5 ]
Total Votes : 7

Rayven

Dedicated Citizen
Thu Dec 26, 2019 4:28 am
I can understand that. It is waaay over commercialized. Yes It helps me to stop and take a minute to remember what it's all about.

Everyone should be nice to retail workers. They don't have it easy. They're just trying to do their job, get a paycheck, and go home like the rest of us. Plus they're probably just as fed up with the store, people, and life as the customer is.

Dedicated Citizen
Thu Dec 26, 2019 8:08 pm
I try and see it for what it is meant to be...but it gets harder with each passing year. It's a Catholic/Christian holiday and so many of them are still so closed minded about a lot of issues in the world. I've always been cynical, and the older I get, the worse it becomes...especially when it comes to religion. Two of my girlfriends were raised to be Catholics like myself, one of them has the faith, but she is at least open minded enough to be willing to debate religion, be friends with people who have different beliefs to hers. If more people in the Catholic faith were like her, I'd probably still be going to church.
Riley: Bo, the Goat Whisperer. XD
Blaze: Bo, you're just chaotic... Razz Heart
9580/10000
Rayven

Dedicated Citizen
Thu Dec 26, 2019 9:20 pm
Did you ever consider that another denomination might suit you better? Like Baptist or Pentecostal? I grew up Baptist, but I tried Pentecostal for awhile. Baptist are too reserved for me, but Pentecostal is a little too out there for me. I also have problems with one of their beliefs. I finally decided to stick with Baptist, but really I'm just spiritual I guess. All religions have rules and things they're picky about, but we shouldn't throw the baby out with the bath water. I know we're not supposed to, but I take the things they say that I don't agree with with a grain of sand. Basically I do what I want. XD

Dedicated Citizen
Wed Jan 01, 2020 5:08 am
bohemian wrote:
Sometimes people complain they are "expected to be happy" over Christmas, and this expectation annoys them. What do you feel about the "obligation to be happy"?

A little late to the question, but here's my answer.

My desire to enjoy the holidays no longer exists, and I find myself wishing the whole thing would just be over with already. But, I remember there was a time that I actually enjoyed the holidays, and I was excited for them. So, if people are excited about them, cool. I'm not, and I've learned to accept that that's okay too.

So ultimately, I think my answer is "you do you" kind of thing, and don't force your happiness on me if I'm not receptive to it.

I will say I am fortunate enough to not have people telling me to be happy around the holidays. And the people that know me well enough to know how I feel about the holidays understand and are supportive.
Rayven

Dedicated Citizen
Thu Jan 02, 2020 12:34 am
I can understand why some people wouldn't like the holidays. If for no other reason, it takes a lot of money. Grr

Dedicated Citizen
Wed May 06, 2020 6:16 am
@Rayven: I consider myself to be a Pagan Catholic in terms of religion. I don't feel the need to go to church to be considered a Catholic. I was baptised in the faith (twice lol), so it is a part of my identity, but I don't feel the need to announce my beliefs or religious affiliation, because I enjoy annoying people with a random, "I'm a Voodoo Satanist" if they get super judgey and then quote the bible back at them if they really wanna tick me off. Shrug

Anyways, time for a new question...ish. Laughing

Considering the current pandemic, do you think enough has been done to "flatten the curve" in your respective country (from the country level to the state level to the local level)? Do you think restrictions have been lifted too soon or should they be kept going for longer? (I'm sure there are other aspects that can be discussed than what I have listed)
9580/10000
Scarz

Defender of the Realm
Thu May 07, 2020 1:12 am
I think at the federal level, they have done everything they can do, even when some States asked or made outlandish demands (like for "thousands and thousands of ventilators". . .they got companies working on making those ventilators, PPE, while trying to give the States everything they asked for and more. . .like sending the 2 hospital ships to NYC and LA. . .setting up so many emergency hospital facilities,getting test kits developed and sent out, etc.

While many Governors fell short (even though some are the darlings of the media), In New York State, nursing homes were required to take back members who were found to have the virus. . .putting everyone in those homes at risk. It should be noted that 30% of the State's deaths occurred in those nursing homes.

Also, the Governor kept stressing that people should remain at home. . .new figures released today showed that 60% of all covid 19 cases caught it AT HOME in NYC!

Many of those emergency hospitals and the hospital ships were under used.

We have quickly found out which elected officials have taken this emergency as an excuse to put in draconian measures to control their populations. Like Michigan, where the governor mad it illegal to buy seeds or paint (so sitting bored at home you couldn't paint your house or build a garden), you were not allowed to use a boat with a motor to go fishing (you could use a row boat, canoe or kayak, though) and if you had a summer home in the upper peninsula, you were not allowed to go there for fear of spreading the virus (while if you were an out-of-Stater who had one, they were allowed).

The Governor of New Mexico, used a little known riot Act to close off the city of Gallup (even though there were no riots), the truth be known the Mayor asked for the Governor's help. . .but what it did was close off access to the city by the residents of the Navajo Reservation that depended on Gallup for purchasing food, water, supplies (This Reservation has little or no running water and is one of the poorest places in the country). Which in turn puts more people on the Reservation at risk.

Then there is the idiot mayor of Las Vegas, who wants to open everything up and let the companies determine their own requirements, just so you know, the famous Strip does not fall under the city, but is county.

Every place is itching to get back to work, but some politicians seem to want this "stay at home" policy to last past the election for their own purposes. . .

My company has just extended the health insurance for employees until August 31. . .but after that time, the lay offs become permanent and no one who was laid off will be guaranteed they have a job to return to. I do not see how or when we will be able to actually reopen, but it will definitely be a very different Vegas when it does.

As I have said, I am lucky, my position is considered as essential as we monitor the fire alarm systems for the property (however we did have 1/2 of the staff for the room laid off).

Some States had few cases and few deaths, so their opening some businesses should be all right.

The guidelines of the President's Coronavirus Task Force for the reopening of businesses are based on projections, the flattening of the curve for Each State, drop in active cases and deaths and testing. They make sense as each State has different problems, some more than others.

Dedicated Citizen
Thu May 07, 2020 12:34 pm
Bo-I bet you get some odd looks when you say that. XD I can understand why you feel that way though. I've always felt that my spirituality is private and between me and God. He is the only one I should have to answer to.

I think that more could have been done from the beginning if they'd been prepared for it. It's obvious to me that the government and experts didn't take certain scenarios seriously. If they had, we wouldn't have a problem with lack of supplies. They should have been stockpiled. I hope they've learned their lesson. It never hurts to be prepared for the worst even if it never happens, but this time it did happen.

If I'd been in charge I would have shut all travel in and out of the US as soon as I found out about China's problem. A few years back they brought a couple of people with Ebola here to treat. I was against that. I was against them bringing people with this virus that had been on cruises, etc. to the military bases to quarantine and treat. I knew it would get out and it did. I can understand wanting to bring our citizens home, but the greater good is more important.

Having said that, I guess they did the best they could considering they weren't prepared enough and made some bad decisions. Hindsight is always 20/20.

I think restrictions are being lifted too soon. The virus is still here and it will get worse again. I still see most people here not taking any precautions. Luckily, the virus isn't too bad in my area. It's a good thing since many don't wear masks or gloves, and think the 6-foot rule doesn't apply to them. I can understand that a lot of people are suffering financially and ready to open the economy back up. I feel truly sorry for them. However, money doesn't mean much if you're dead or seriously ill. That's just my opinion on the matter.

Dedicated Citizen
Fri May 08, 2020 9:32 am
I think there are a lot of people out there who didn't and still don't think this is serious. Sure, we've had swine flu and bird flu and we didn't go to the great lengths that we have done with covid-19. Hell, the flu is deadly but we don't see it that way. Sure, people die, but not to the extent that people have with this. I personally don't think that my government, from a federal level did enough early enough. They seemed and still seem more concerned about the economy than the health of the population. The states are lifting restrictions slowly, some states are still kinda in crazy town with restrictions. In Queensland, they can't go more than 15 minutes from their homes. In NSW, we can now visit another house, so adults and children can go and visit family, but social distancing is to be observed. But we still have pubs, clubs and restaurants closed to inside business, it is all delivery/pick up and that is so that they can still keep people employed and the businesses running. For some reason, hair dressers are considered an essential business, so they haven't closed, but they are taking precautions to keep themselves and their clients safe. Whenever I go to the hair dressers, I'm typically there for at least 2 hours. Last time I was there I was there for over 4 hours...but that is because we went to crazy town with my hair and I love it. XD

I've noticed with a few of the local tattoo studios are wanting to return to work and not just local studios, I've seen a few international businesses wanting to return to work. I can see their point of view as to why they are better equipped to deal with a pandemic than a fast food restaurant.
9580/10000
Rayven

Dedicated Citizen
Fri May 08, 2020 7:50 pm
The barbershops and hair salons are just starting to open back up here. My dad and brother got homemade haircuts. XD I guess I didn't do too bad on Dad's hair because he said he still wants me to cut it even though he could go to his barber now. Shocked

I think places are more worried about the economy too. I understand that but it scares me too.

Dedicated Citizen
Sat May 09, 2020 3:32 am
Another issue is the medical supplies. And I'm not talking about gloves, masks and essential items such as ventilators (I'm shocked I got the spelling right first time for that Shocked ), but as I mentioned in the covid-19 thread already, there are people in different states who can't access their much needed (and no doubt expensive) cancer medication.
9580/10000
Scarz

Defender of the Realm
Sat May 09, 2020 4:59 pm
bohemian wrote:
Another issue is the medical supplies. And I'm not talking about gloves, masks and essential items such as ventilators (I'm shocked I got the spelling right first time for that Shocked ), but as I mentioned in the covid-19 thread already, there are people in different states who can't access their much needed (and no doubt expensive) cancer medication.

We have the same problem here, they are calling cancer tests, operations etc. as elective surgery (meaning unnecessary) it is not unnecessary to the person who needs the operation. . .or the person that needs knee replacement surgery and won't be able to walk without it; beside several surgical hospitals have closed due to lack of patients, these hospitals depend on those patients and their insurance to pay their bills, too.

The other thing that upsets me is how they are calling every death due to "covid 19". . .I know this is a serious virus, but not EVERYONE is dying because of it. . .seems some people just want to inflate the numbers badly.

But most of all I do not believe any numbers coming from China. . .they have a population of about 1.5 billion people, but claim they only had 83,000 cases with 4,900 deaths???? I am sorry, that doesn't add up at all. . .the fact that they new back in November or December yet still allowed people to go to Europe, the USA and every other country, definitely makes them responsible. . .it is like they declared war on the rest of the world! IMHO

Queen of the Realm
Sat May 09, 2020 8:47 pm
There are financial incentives in place for the hospitals and doctors if the diagnosis is "covid" (and everyone is assumed to BE "covid" until a (faulty) test indicates otherwise)... all of which is skewing the numbers more than they have been "out of the gate" (which is annoying and entirely not helpful) ... versus some of the other (real) diagnosis..es... diagnosi... what the heck IS the plural of diagnosis anyway? Confused Anyway, you get my point. This entire thing is badly managed, IMO...
Scarz

Defender of the Realm
Sun May 10, 2020 4:59 am
the plural of diagnosis is Diagnoses (according to google).

And I agree 100% that they are padding these number for whatever evil purpose. . .

Dedicated Citizen
Mon May 11, 2020 2:58 am
I think the whole approach is wrong. China has always been very controlled with letting people outside, and even inside their own country, know what exactly is going on.
And the fact that deaths are being attributed to Covid-19 instead of a proper investigation being done to figure out if it was a different underlying cause, but they caught Covid-19 and that exacerbates the underlying cause, then it wasn't Covid-19 that caused their deaths. thunk
9580/10000
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Back to Forum -> Scholars' Room All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 12, 13, 14, 15  Next
Page 13 of 15