33%  [ 2 ]
Yes but number 2
66%
 66%  [ 4 ]
Total Votes : 6

Rayven

Dedicated Citizen
Sun May 19, 2019 4:48 pm
I think this question was made for me. XD Hardship definitely makes us stronger, but the price that we have to pay to get stronger can be too heavy. Personally, even though I've gotten stronger, I'm extremely jaded which isn't good. I no longer trust people, and instead of having a 3 foot bubble around me, I now have a 50 foot bubble. It may not seem like it here, but in real life I don't want anything to do with people anymore because of the pain they've caused me. My world is very small and I intend to keep it that way. It's partly my own fault because I'm highly sensitive, but I really can't help that. I was born this way. I've tried to change, but I'm tired of trying to change myself to fit into this harsh, crazy world better. Why should I change when I haven't done anything wrong?! I shouldn't have to change because other people are abusive jerks. Plus I couldn't successfully change myself anyway no matter how hard I tried. Being sensitive is just who I am at my core, and I often feel that I don't belong on Earth. I have desensitized myself to a few things, but overall I'm still very sensitive. That's not to say that I overreacted to the things that have happened to me. I've truly went through some awful stuff that would bother anyone.

I don't know how much is too much. What makes one person shatter permanently, only temporarily disables another. That depends on the person. For me it depends on what it is, and how often it happens. I think I do ok now that I've gotten stronger as long as my whole world doesn't fall apart in a short period of time, or as long as I'm not tortured for long periods of time. Hard times are to be expected to a certain degree. Cars break down, earthquakes happen, etc. This life isn't easy and it's very complicated. Just being human is complicated. Hardship is harder to deal with for people that feel like they can't ever catch a break. I've had many periods in my life like that.

Even though I avoid the real world as much as possible now, I still don't feel like I've given up though. I'm still here, I still have most of my sanity, and I'm determined to stick it out as long as The Good Lord allows me. However, I will avoid situations and people that make my life harder. I call that self-preservation.

Dedicated Citizen
Wed May 22, 2019 12:12 am
New question time, since we pretty much answered that last question. Laughing

In the past people were buried with the items they would need in the afterlife, what would you want buried with you so you could use it in the afterlife?

I think this is an awesome question. It brings to mind the Ancient Egyptians firstly because, ya know, they had like tombs, filled with stuff. Food, cats, gold, whatever they thought would help them in the afterlife and the trip it takes to reach there.

Today though, we have an understanding that we can't take anything with us when we go, no matter what our beliefs are. I know in some cases, people have requested to be buried with a picture of their loved ones or something that is meaningful for them.

I've been sitting in my lecture thinking about this...and I would probably want to be buried with my favourite book...and my crystal collection. No idea why for the crystal collection, but I figure if I'm returning to the earth to be cleansed, then they can return to the earth to be cleansed too. Laughing Yes
Rayven: *gets hit in the face with some underwear* Wow Bo sure likes to get naked! XD
Riley: Bo, the Goat Whisperer. XD
9018/10000
Rayven

Dedicated Citizen
Wed May 22, 2019 12:28 am
That is a nice sentiment about the crystals Bo. Very Happy

Good question! I never really gave it much thought since I know I can't actually take anything with me. I've always been fascinated with the Egyptians though.

My Mom wants to be buried with her jewelry, minus her wedding ring. I get to keep that. Very Happy Some of my family members have been buried with little trinkets.

I suppose I wouldn't mind being buried with a couple of my pretties. It also couldn't hurt to throw a bottle of Pepsi, and a cheesecake in there. XD A list of the pets I've had that meant so much to me would be nice too.

I really want something clever written on my tombstone too, but I don't know what to put yet. Lol

Dedicated Citizen
Fri May 24, 2019 9:28 am
And yet another question. (Yes, I am avoiding uni work XD )

What’s the most physically painful thing you’ve ever experienced?

This is easy for me. Fibromyalgia is the single most physically painful thing I've ever experienced, because the pain rarely, if ever, goes away. I've been tattooed, pierced, had minor surgery which needed extra numbing stuff because it was hella painful. But the thing is, the pain from those things, is only temporary. Painful while it is happening, throbbing for a few days afterwards, but then it fades. With the fibro, it can be exhausting one day, extremely painful another day and other days either low levels of pain that I can still feel, or low levels that I can't feel, but I know is still there. I'm just glad that I have a medication that makes the bad days few and far between, instead of being stuck in bed in agony and seriously fatigued for weeks.
Rayven: *gets hit in the face with some underwear* Wow Bo sure likes to get naked! XD
9018/10000
Riley

Dedicated Citizen
Fri May 24, 2019 6:09 pm
Physically painful?

That's an easy one for me too. When I was twelve, there was an accident at the summer camp I was at, and I ended up fracturing my L2-L3 vertebrae. I had to re-learn how to walk and there's still some remaining nerve damage. I can't lift my left foot all the way up, so instead of walking heal-toe, I just sort of set my foot down. Sometimes I end up walking on my toes, which hurt like a mother. And I usually have a baseline pain on a daily basis. But, I was able to do martial arts for 7 years, and I did the mud marathon earlier this year. I'm going to keep going until I can't go anymore. Yes

Dedicated Citizen
Fri May 24, 2019 6:17 pm
Bo I'm sorry you have to go through that. *hugs*

I guess I'd have to say giving birth, and getting all of my wisdom teeth surgically removed at once, are pretty much tied. I haven't ever been seriously injured so I guess I've been pretty lucky.

Giving birth was hard not just because of the contractions, I got an epidural after awhile, but because of how long it took. Plus I had to have my labor induced because my son didn't want to be born. :/ I carried him 10 months and almost 3 weeks! I've always heard that having to be induced makes labor more painful too, but I have nothing to compare it to as I never gave birth again. I was in labor almost 21 hours and almost an hour of that was pushing. I was more exhausted than I've ever been in my life. I almost had to have a C-section. I begged them not to do that because I didn't want to be cut open and have to deal with wound care, etc. They gave into my request and I finally did it on my own, but the drawback was having a longer, harder time giving birth. My recovery time, probably because I was so young, was quick and relatively painless though. I'd always heard that women were really sore after giving birth, but I felt great.

Getting all of my wisdom teeth surgically removed was so bad because I was in pain a whole week, and I looked like a chipmunk. My wisdom teeth didn't have room to come through the gums at all so they had to go digging which included moving my jaw muscles away from the bone. My muscles there have never been the same and they get sore sometimes and they knot up. I had the procedure done 21 years ago and it still bothers me. Shocked Then I got dry socket in both bottom sockets. That was horribly painful too. They put some nasty tasting stuff in the sockets, but it tasted so bad I took them out and dealt with the pain. I couldn't eat solid food for a week.

I gave birth in June and had my wisdom teeth out in November of the same year. It was a bad year. XD

Dedicated Citizen
Mon Jul 22, 2019 3:19 pm
Ok, so not a question per say, maybe a mini rant preceding the question possibly?

So I've already had a mini rant about a friend and my apparent need for "companionship", but this isn't where I'm going (obviously still bugging me lol). Our mutual friend is married with 2 kids. The girl is 5 and the boy is 2. Now, her side of the family is awesome, I've known them since high school and I'm considered family at the family gatherings that my friend hosts. But here's the rub. Her husband's immediate family...while polite to company are subtly mean to my friend. She puts up with it because she wants her husband to be happy, but he is blind to what his parents do to her. He saw what his cousins and aunts and uncles did to her and they are all cut out from their lives. Sure he is in contact with them, but they don't see the wife or kids.

Anyways, the husband buys all sorts of...junk. Toys, random cars that he "plans to fix up", that sort of thing. Anyway, the girl loves pokemon thanks to the parents and their slight obsession with pokemon go. So dad buys a heap of random (probably at bulk rate prices) pokemon and instead of giving her one toy once in a while, it's almost like one toy every day. And his parents seem to bribe her with toys or gifts as well. She'll show up with my friend to her side of the family and the little girl actually asks where her presents are. She basically has no concept it seems that gifts are only for special occasions and not to be given every day.

I honestly do not understand why adults do this with kids. Buying their affection. I don't know, maybe it has something to do with the way I was brought up. Not wealthy, not poor, but we had a roof over our heads, food on the table, access to running water and heat and clothes on our backs. While it would have been nice for extra stuff, it wasn't needed. I know my friend thinks similarly, because while she would love to give her daughter more things, it is more in the way of enrichment, like going to martial arts or doing a sport, not something like toys which will be forgotten by the time the next fad comes along.

Anyways...feel free to discuss...*looks up and points above*...that. Laughing
9018/10000
Rayven

Dedicated Citizen
Mon Jul 22, 2019 6:09 pm
Kids today are definitely spoiled. Having said that, I was very spoiled myself. It was not uncommon for my parents to spend $300-$400 on me at Christmas, and again for my birthday. Shocked We weren't rich either but my parents, especially my Mom, didn't have their priorities straight. I don't believe they were actually trying to buy my affection though. I think they just wanted me to be happy, and enjoy things they didn't get as children. The same goes for my son. While I couldn't provide him with the same as I got, I did buy him like one toy a week when we went grocery shopping. I mostly did that for my own sanity. XD He was a difficult child, and he got bored very easy. I could actually get through the store without him screaming, or causing a scene, if I got him a toy. Most of the time. He also broke his toys a lot, usually right after we got home. Mad I think for him that was the same as another kid taking something apart to see how it's made. After awhile I got tired of buying toys that were just going to be broken so I slowed down on the buying.

I do think that it is possible to outgrow being spoiled. I had to, at least for the most part, when I moved out on my own. I've been poor ever since, and I adjusted. XD

I do think that if a child is going to be spoiled, there are certain lessons that have to be taught. My parents at least taught me that I shouldn't ask for presents. My Dad also told me that even if someone gave me a bag of dirt, I'd better act like it was the best bag of dirt I ever got. XD

I feel bad for your friend having to deal with bad in-laws. If I were her, I would just stay home whenever possible and let my husband go to see his family. That way he still gets his family, and she doesn't have to take their abuse. Most families are dysfunctional in one way or another, but there's usually a way to work around it.

Dedicated Citizen
Tue Aug 13, 2019 3:47 am
The more I hang out with my friends who are in relationships, the more I am glad I am not in a relationship. Especially when there are kids involved. The one friend with kids close to me with the husband and his family buying the oldest gifts and all that, is seriously stark contrast to my friend who I visited last week. She only has one kid and she is as sassy as her mother is lol. But again, my issue is with the husband. And while I am in no place to judge, I feel for her. He has several, and I mean several, mental health issues that have only recently been diagnosed, or labeled if you will. It doesn't help that he has done drugs in the past to help cope with the undiagnosed issues and was hanging around a REALLY bad crowd as a result. She is an amazingly strong woman, considering all the things that she has to put up with, just from him. She made some comment about people not coming to visit and I responded something along the lines of, "Well, you know there is only one reason why I would stop coming out to visit" and glanced at her husband, and she understands that. Unless he does something that endangers all our lives in my presence, then I will still go out and visit her, she is one of my best friends and I'll have her back no matter what.

I guess as an outsider looking in, it is frustrating, but I know it is not my place to step in and basically try to dictate what I think should be happening, especially in another person's relationship and family life. If I get asked for advice or what would I personally do (probably not a good idea to ask because my answer would usually end up involving a hole about 6 foot deep. XD ), then I would give it. I'll make noises of annoyance or displeasure if I'm told about it, but that is about all I can do. Be the person who my friends rant to when they need it.

Anywho, new question time!

So, I am studying a few different things right now, but the focus for today's question revolves around my international business studies. On Sunday, I caught the tail end of the news on the radio and it seems like people, or perhaps more accurately, politicians, are afraid of China's rising place in the economic forum. Realistically though, the westernised world DID hand this power over to China by the very fact that China is the main power that is producing EVERYTHING we need. So, my question is this, what are your thoughts and feelings towards the rising economic star of China?
9018/10000
Scarz

Defender of the Realm
Tue Aug 13, 2019 2:18 pm
I have so many problems with what is going on in China, especially with all the countries who have moved manufacturing there. We all know the reason why. . .it is much cheaper to produce their products in China and they do not have the safety programs or pollution standards as other manufacturing countries.

A prime example are those curly q CFL light bulbs, they cannot be manufactured in the USA because they contain mercury and China makes them for pennies on the dollar. When they first started pushing those bulbs, they came with an MSDS (Material Safety Damage Sheets) that explained they contained mercury and that they were supposed to be handled totally different than a regular incandescent bulb.

By the world putting all their eggs in one basket (China) for electronics, computers, cell phones, etc., The Chinese government and military have access to everything produced there. One of the sticking points for the China-USA trade deal is Chinese theft of intellectual property.

Also, as been shown over the last couple of weeks, their government continually manipulate their currency, which destabilizes the markets worldwide.

Don't get me started on their building military bases on man-made islands within the territories of other countries in the south China Sea. . .or their history of pollution (or no matter what the world does to fight Climate Change (?), they won't be able to force China to do stop production.

Dedicated Citizen
Tue Aug 13, 2019 6:17 pm
Scarz wrote:
A prime example are those curly q CFL light bulbs, they cannot be manufactured in the USA because they contain mercury and China makes them for pennies on the dollar. When they first started pushing those bulbs, they came with an MSDS (Material Safety Damage Sheets) that explained they contained mercury and that they were supposed to be handled totally different than a regular incandescent bulb.

Shocked I did not know this! I have been treating them the same and I don't even wash my hands after touching them. I will start right away. I did know to wash my hands after touching Christmas lights because of the lead in them. They should have a warning on the box. Maybe they do and I just didn't notice. Embarassed

Anywho, I'm not as knowledgeable about things as Sir Scarz, but I can give you my opinion. We've been in bed with the Devil (China) for a long time, and it needs to stop. It's too late to go backwards, but we can change the future. China is one of those countries that just can't be trusted, and, furthermore, they're dangerous. My Dad and I were just talking about this earlier. They treat their citizens horribly, and they're just a big bully. I'm all for a country running itself within reason, but I'm also an idealist. I know we can't solve all of the world's problems, but in certain cases I really want to. When I see a tyrannical government I always think about ways in which it could/should be fixed. A big part of me thinks that we (by we I mean all of the other good countries) should take charge (to a certain degree) of countries that are a danger to more civilized nations. However, that would mean war, and we've gotten rather soft about that.

I also don't like that good American jobs were sent over there by greedy corporate morons. I would rather go without, and live more like they did in older times, than keep things as they are now. Unfortunately, I don't think many people would go along with that because they're too spoiled. There's got to be a way to do it, I mean, we didn't used to be so dependent on China. I think the biggest problem is that companies want to make as big of a profit as they possibly can. I understand that, but not at the risk of doing business with bad people. Also, not to the detriment of their employees and customers. Would it kill the big corporations to have a couple less mansions, or to take less vacations? I'm not asking them to give up all of their money, but they're so greedy it's ridiculous.

So, in answer to your question, I don't like it one bit. If it were up to me we wouldn't do any business with a country like China. That's the least that I would do if I were in charge, but I'm not. I'm not sure it it's a good thing or a bad thing that I'm not. XD

Dedicated Citizen
Wed Aug 14, 2019 12:39 am
I don't ask these types of questions often, no real reason for it, I just ask them when something pops up somewhere that makes me want opinions outside of my own head and even family and social circle. So not knowing much or anything about the subject is fine, having an opinion without all the facts (and realistically, we will never get all the facts), is still fine.

I know the increased military activity in the South China Sea and other locations in the areas around China are concerning, heck, we're practically neighbours! But while it is a concern, it's not at the forefront of my mind.

And while I know that a lot of the production has gone from the western countries to China, but the whole of Asia is in on it. You have car and ship building in China, Japan, South Korea, basically the top three in, well, the world.

Right now my head isn't in the right place for trying to get any valid points across. But one thing that I am trying to do, at least with my degree, is try to keep an open mind and learn as much as I can. In the Firefly universe, the two main languages were English and Mandarin. Right now Spanish is also up there, but at the rate the world is moving, maybe it will be as in Firefly with only two languages.
9018/10000
Rayven

Dedicated Citizen
Wed Aug 14, 2019 11:17 pm
I hope not. XD Asian languages are hard.

Dedicated Citizen
Sun Aug 18, 2019 10:53 pm
I think if you get a handle on Spanish, then Mandarin might be a little easier...at least it seems to be according to my lecturer. He spent 7 years in Miami (I thought he was saying army thunk ), and everyone thought his name was Juan, because that is what it sounds like...and it's pretty close really. Laughing

But anyways, as dad was driving me to the station this morning to go to uni, there was something on the news about cladding (I don't think anyone missed the Grenfell Tower fire) and how it is going to cost somewhere in the region of $6 billion to fix the issue that has been going onto buildings for the last 10 years. And where, oh where, does the cladding come from? Yep, China.

So yeah, it is a big issue when the supplies we get from China, are not only cheaper, but also extremely dangerous in the long run because their safety standards are nowhere near that of the rest of the developed world.

We also have an ongoing issue in Australia that revolves around baby formula. People from a Chinese background, will buy up EVERY tin of baby formula from the shelf, even if there is a sign up saying that they are only allowed to take TWO tins a DAY. There are issues it seems with the quality of food in China and Australia has very high standards when it comes to food quality. When one of my friend's kids was still on formula, and he needed a special formula too due to having stomach issues, she struggled to find enough formula. Her mum was out shopping one day and came across the brand and type of formula that my friend got for her son, she cleared the shelf of that formula. The woman at the checkout told her she was only allowed two and grandma came back with some sort of retort (can't remember it now) and the woman check it out for her anyway. My friend then had enough formula for 6 months. So it worked out for her, but there are others who aren't as lucky.
9018/10000
Rayven

Dedicated Citizen
Mon Aug 19, 2019 6:08 pm
I seem to remember we had an issue here with China's building materials that were used for making houses here. If it were up to me, we wouldn't buy anything from them.

That's awful about the formula. The cost of it is ridiculous too. I'm surprised they can afford to buy it all up.
Page 10 of 11