33%  [ 2 ]
Yes but number 2
66%
 66%  [ 4 ]
Total Votes : 6

Amurita

Knight of Zantarni
Fri Nov 02, 2018 12:58 am
This is a very tough question for me to answer.

On the one hand, like others have said, I feel like it is possible that people might want to genetically alter traits that some people see as negative, but others see as positives.

I was initially thinking that, maybe if these traits harm other people and this was a repeated offense where jail or therapy doesn't help, that this would be like a last resort in order to stop them from repeating their crimes. For example, increased aggression that actually leads to murder. I was also thinking of pedophiles as well, like Riley mentioned. However, it is interesting to think of whether this could lead to a slippery slope as well. And also if it would fundamentally change a person or awaken a different trait like Riley also mentioned.

While I think that altering genetics to create 'designer babies' is a bad idea, I can't help but think that removing traits that leads to harming others could be beneficial in extreme situations. But it would require a lot of extensive testing to see if there would be side effects...

Hmmm...this is a very tough question...

Dedicated Citizen
Tue Nov 06, 2018 9:58 pm
It's like a huge moral and ethical issue. While on one hand, yes, it would be great to get rid of the traits of people who murder other people because they enjoy it, and not out of self defense or self preservation to get away from physical, mental, emotional, sexual abuse either for themselves or for another person in their care, people who want to harm people in any way shape or form. I mean, I could go on and on and on, but where would it stop? That is the dilemma that society faces. And then the different cultures all around the world. What would they do? Would they make the same choices as I would? In a way, it is good that there are standards for things in scientific research that in a way, prevent this sort of thing from happening. I'm sure the NAZIs would have been big advocates for this because then they could erase what they believed were inferior human traits.

Anyway, I think it is time for a new question, because that one was bloody heavy. Shocked

Do business owners have the right to refuse service to customers?
Rayven: *gets hit in the face with some underwear* Wow Bo sure likes to get naked! XD
Riley: Bo, the Goat Whisperer. XD
8960/10000
Riley

Dedicated Citizen
Mon Dec 17, 2018 7:22 pm
Took me awhile to realize you had a new question up ^^;

That's a tough one for me, since I'm a nurse. We can't refuse health care to people who need it (at least here in California, not sure about other states). So I guess I'm not really used to that concept. However, I can see why service might be refused in different situations. When I'm bored and need to do something that doesn't require energy or brain cells, I sometimes watch customer vs employee videos on youtube. And wow, I can see the appeal to refuse service to belligerent and or aggressive customers.

In that case, I can get behind that. I am glad there are laws that protect people from discrimination based on gender, religion, sexual orientation, etc. Though, this question immediately brought to mind the case of the bakery that refused to sell a cake to a gay couple. I'd have to look the case up again, but I think the Supreme Court sort of ruled in his favor. So can he refuse service to someone? Yes, I suppose. It just doesn't paint him in the best light, and while it is his choice, because of that, I probably wouldn't buy a cake from him. That, and it was in Colorado, so you know, I'm no where near him.

Queen of the Realm
Mon Dec 17, 2018 8:57 pm
Yes, as a small business owner, you should have the right to refuse service to somebody... anybody... for any reason. You should have the right to protect yourself, your business, your beliefs, your time-management, etc., by refusing service.

Perhaps you've done work for a person in the past and they've stiffed you for the bill... or they're just a completely obnoxious customer, or maybe your business is just over-burdened with orders/work right now and you don't have the capacity to add any more work/clients or staff to help you deal with an influx of orders... perhaps you're going through some major personal upheaval and can't mentally or emotionally handle another client right now... perhaps any number of situations are going on. The reasons for such a decision may be complicated, or maybe they are not... but you shouldn't have to explain yourself or your decision to a potential customer/client, nor should you be expected to provide a service simply because somebody demands it of you. [aside: if, as a small business owner, you must provide a service on demand, what's next? ... you must provide service at midnight because that's when somebody wants your product? ... you must give up something you own (a coat, a car, whatever) simply because somebody demands it of you? ... you must do something you don't want to do because somebody else thinks you should? At what point does somebody else's (or society's) thoughts/emotions/demands/"rights" trump your own? Or do you retain your own right to personal sovereignty, thoughts, beliefs, and decision-making?]

That said, public, governmental, health care (& perhaps a couple others) industries simply have different rules for business and operation of their trade, so no, they should not be able to refuse service. And likewise, people working at such places should not be permitted to not serve somebody with whom they might have a difference of opinion. That clerk who didn't want to process a marriage permit for a gay couple was right out of line - gay marriage is permitted by the state, she worked for the state, she needed to either follow the laws and do her job or she needed to find another job where her personal ethics/beliefs are not potentially challenged on a daily basis. State, governmental, etc. agencies are supposed to be above and beyond personal prejudice.

Also a customer, you have the right to "shop around" and not give somebody your business. You don't have to use the first bakery you see if you're looking to buy a cake...
bohemian

Dedicated Citizen
Sat Jan 05, 2019 1:11 pm
I wasn't even thinking about the bakery owner or that clerk when I posted this. I can't even remember what I was thinking about. Perhaps the crazy season being upon us and a friend being abused by several "customers" because they couldn't buy something because it was sold out.

I know in the emergency rooms, the staff put the safety of patients and themselves first, so if someone is causing trouble and they aren't injured or needing medical attention (they might need it afterwards lol), they will get the patients to a safe area if need be, and get the police involved. I can remember a few years ago, police were already at the ER due to one of their "customers" needing medical attention and while they were there, either the guy that they had with them, or another person high on ice, managed to get a police officer's firearm and one of the officers (a dog handler) was shot in the thigh, which severed his femoral artery and he almost died. He is fully recovered now and back to work again, but if he were anywhere else, he would have died. I don't know what happened to the attacker, but he needed treatment too.

In fast food, I've had to refuse service to absolute drunks who would walk through the drive thru to order food. I would be mean enough to not let them know that the building was actually opened and they could come in...I made them get a cab to order food (mostly because I would rather see them get home safely).

I honestly rarely see refusal of service. Only times I have seen it, involved a homeless woman begging people in a cafe for money and the manager told her to get out...although I guess she wasn't looking to order anything. But basically, no money = no service. Oh right, and in pubs and clubs, people getting refused service because they are either drunk or just plain old abusive. I know the pubs where my older brother works, I've seen him refuse service to a man because of his actions the previous visit. And the security guys know that he is the only person behind the bar who will back them up if they need it.

New Question.

The "New Year, New Me" fad. If you were in the position to want to change something, either about yourself (which typically seems to be what the whole, "New Year, New Me" thing is about), or like house/garden, would you wait until the new year to start up, or would you decide on a day closer, like tomorrow, or the start of the week/month to achieve your goal?
Rayven: *gets hit in the face with some underwear* Wow Bo sure likes to get naked! XD
8960/10000
Rayven

Dedicated Citizen
Sat Jan 05, 2019 8:31 pm
Personally I think anytime is a good time to improve ourselves. I think if I need to wait for a new year to make a change, something is wrong. I'm procrastinating for some reason. I do that with quitting smoking all the time. There's nothing wrong with New Year's resolutions, but some things probably shouldn't wait if the new year is a ways off. For example, I wouldn't want to wait to try to lose weight if I felt my health was going downhill.

Dedicated Citizen
Sun Jan 06, 2019 10:36 am
I'm the same really. If I am planning on changing something, I'm going to start in the next week, because it would typically mean needing to make arrangements to make sure I stick to it. If it were something that I planned on spending a year doing, then I would definitely choose the first day of the year to start to make sure it is easier to keep track of it via a wall calendar because I never remember to put appointments into my phone. Shrug

I have however been back from my trip away since the 2nd. It is now the 6th and my bag is still partially packed from being away. And then there is the flip side of that coin, where I don't actually pack until 5 minutes before I have to leave the house. Laughing
8960/10000
Blazestorm

Queen of the Realm
Sun Jan 06, 2019 11:23 am
I make changes whenever they're needed, but I do find that certain dates, like my birthday or the new year can "help" in terms of goal-setting, or momentum/progress toward a goal - at least for personal things. I don't really buy in to the New Year Resolutions kick, but the timing of the new year is good mostly because everything more-or-less shuts down that week or so leading up to it (except for here Razz ), so I generally have more time to think about what I want to do, set up for it, and then start the new routines/habits/whatever, without being quite so distracted by full-on everyday life.

For house-type changes, they too happen when they're needed but there are certain outside or physically demanding things that are easier and much more comfortably done in the winter when it's cooler (when it's a a more reasonable temperature out there (Florida))
bohemian

Dedicated Citizen
Sun Jan 06, 2019 9:43 pm
If it is something sports related, like joining up with a team sport or signing up for a fun run, 5k, tough mudder or whatever and using the start of the year to help you train for your goal, then sure. But if it is still January and you are already making plans for next year's already failed resolutions...then you got problems. Yes
8960/10000
Rayven

Dedicated Citizen
Sun Feb 17, 2019 3:41 am
Psst. Bo. I hate to bug you, but I think right now would be a great time for a new topic. I needs hoof prints. XD *looks hopeful*

Dedicated Citizen
Sun Feb 17, 2019 4:49 am
Ask and you shall receive! (I was actually thinking about this yesterday XD )

NEW QUESTIONS!

Why do humans have such a strong urge to distract ourselves from the real world?

Is it be possible for humans to create something completely novel and new that is based on nothing that previously existed? Or is human creativity just rearranging and building on previous ideas?

Answer one, answer both. I couldn't just pick one. XD
8960/10000
Blazestorm

Queen of the Realm
Sun Feb 17, 2019 2:19 pm
It's part of being human. It's our natural, instinctive creativity and imagination. It is the same natural tendency or urge that creates great works of art, or advances in science, etc., ... at least when it's focused towards pursuing a specific goal or accomplishment. When unfocused, we still have the tendency to use these attributes; it just takes a different form. And let's face it, in this world, in the modern cultures in which we live, with all the distractions, etc., not everyone has the drive, willpower, focus or energy to create profound things... and distractions are often a much easier way to satisfy (often vicariously) our creativity and imagination.
bohemian

Dedicated Citizen
Sun Feb 17, 2019 6:35 pm
I did not realise that these two questions, well, go hand in hand with each other. Shocked

On one hand, we distract ourselves because in a way, we are afraid of opening ourselves up to other people. We feel safer alone in our bubble and if playing games or reading books (or anything really) helps us feel safer, then we take it. On the other hand, we distract ourselves because we are evolving and moving and living in places where we don't have something to contain and direct our focus. A farmer hardly has time during the day to allow for distractions, where as a businessman can be distracted by whatever takes his fancy during the day or even at night. He doesn't have to constantly worry about, well, all the things that a farmer has to worry about.

I think in a business sense, most of the things that are coming out these days are just rearranging and building on the previous models that have already been created with a slight design tweak (Apple anyone?). I don't think creativity is truly limited to just reusing the same things over and over again. I personally wouldn't mind coming across something that is completely novel and new that hasn't been seen before, but I think, with the way the world is, at least within the developed worlds, we are only ever going to see the same things again and again. Some things may be different slightly, but it may be done purely for "shock value" and mean nothing because of the way we have become conditioned. If something new were to come out, I think it would end up coming from developing nations. And in saying that, it probably won't be ya know, new to the developing nations, but new to the developed nations...who will probably try to steal it, package it and market it to the masses.
8960/10000
Rayven

Dedicated Citizen
Sun Feb 17, 2019 9:01 pm
Thanks Bo! Very Happy

Question #1:

I think a lot of it comes down to how hard the real world is. Imagine if all we did was sit around and think about real life. It would be pretty boring and sad most of the time. I love reading a good book and immersing myself into the characters' world and problems. They have problems too, but they're not my problems, and they usually get a happy ending. That's something not everyone in real life will get.

Question #2:

I think we can still create new things and ideas, but it is getting harder to come up with something original since so much has already been done. Take music and writing for example. Plagiarism is a major problem even though most of it is probably accidental. There are only so many chords or words to use and eventually they get repeated.

Personally, I don't think there's anything wrong with taking an idea and making it better as long as there's no copyright infringement. It's still part of the creative process. Some people are good at coming up with original ideas, and some are good at making other people's original ideas better.

Queen of the Realm
Tue Feb 19, 2019 11:41 pm
bohemian wrote:
I did not realise that these two questions, well, go hand in hand with each other. Shocked

... in my mind they are related... but I was mostly addressing your first question. Wink Part of the creative limitations we are currently seeing is that true creativity is not recognized or appreciated in today's world culture(s). We are conditioned and "creatively dumbed down". Creativity these days is limited in order to meet (mostly) corporate demand and to sell things. And this process, being governed by money/commerce and corporation, often limits (true) creativity from expressing itself. (Ironically, I have a book half-written on this topic...)
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Back to Forum -> The Scholar's Room All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 7, 8, 9, 10  Next
Page 8 of 10