~Zantarni Book Club v.1~
Goto page Previous  1, 2
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Back to Forum -> Entertainment [Nov.'19]

Choose book for our first session
1. Stolen Songbird by Danielle L. Jensen
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
2. The 5 Love Languages by Gary Chapman (non-fiction)
50%
 50%  [ 3 ]
3. The Jane Austen Book Club by Karen Joy Fowler
33%
 33%  [ 2 ]
4. Shakespeare
16%
 16%  [ 1 ]
5. 4321 by Paul Auster
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
Total Votes : 6

Riley

Dedicated Citizen
Thu Jun 01, 2017 4:24 am
Sorry for being MIA. I've been trying to get a grip on work, school clinicals, mental health, etc etc etc. /sigh.

I read the premise of the Jane Austen Book Club, and while I find it interesting, I feel like I would be missing out on a lot of the meaning since I have never read anything from Jane Austen. Not sure if that would be the case, but that's just my first thought.
bohemian

Dedicated Citizen
Thu Jun 01, 2017 6:57 am
I'm sitting here, trying to figure out how best to explain the book, but I think it isn't so much about the books themselves, but how the lives of the people in the book club, seem to reflect the books in a way.

There is a movie as well. I saw the movie and went straight out to buy the book. She also has another book out, We Are All Completely Beside Ourselves, and it was not what I expected at all. Talk about a curve ball book. Yes
Riley: Bo, the Goat Whisperer. XD
Blaze: Bo, you're just chaotic... Razz Heart
9695/10000
UtterlyWeird

Dedicated Citizen
Thu Jun 01, 2017 7:42 pm
Does anyone here ever read those massive old clunkers Charles ***** wrote?

Riley

Dedicated Citizen
Thu Jun 01, 2017 8:41 pm
Exactly, Bo. Would it be better if I knew the characters and their lives in the Jane Austen books so I can understand the impact they have on the characters of The Jane Austen Book Club?

@Weird - I've read A Tale of Two Cities in high school, and that was not really enjoyable.
bohemian

Dedicated Citizen
Fri Jun 02, 2017 6:00 am
I don't think so. You get a better bit of background for the characters in the book than you do in the movie. I only discovered that it was based off a book when the credits started to roll at the end. Laughing

@ Weird: I have a brick on my bookshelf with, I think, 5 of his works. Yes I have yet to read any of his works though. Ninja
9695/10000
Blazestorm

Queen of the Realm
Fri Jun 02, 2017 12:27 pm
*still here... kinda*

Tale of Two Cities was tedious! Ugh... not interested in even trying to read anything else of his after that high school reading requirement...

Jane Austen is one of the few "classics" authors I've not read, and I'm honestly not quite sure what to do about that, with that, etc., especially if we're talking about reading a book about her books...

Dedicated Citizen
Sat Jun 03, 2017 10:50 pm
A brick? *glances over at my bookshelf, where more than six big fat books sit, and 'Tale of Two Cities' is the hardcover one* Um. *hides*

bohemian

Dedicated Citizen
Sun Jun 04, 2017 2:36 am
Like I said, it is more the point of views of the book club members and how their lives seem to mirror certain aspects of Austen's works. You don't need to read Austen's works to understand what is going on. No
9695/10000
LillieRose

Knight of Zantarni
Mon Jun 05, 2017 9:16 pm
Great Expectations and David Copperfield were on my obligatory reading list at uni.
I never cared much for his style but they were easy enough reads for me, I got through them rather quickly.

I would be interested in reading the Jane Austen Book Club but if the majority votes nay on it, we will find something else. :3

Page 2 of 2