2017 Reading List
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
LillieRose

Knight of Zantarni
Tue May 16, 2017 4:05 am
Bo: Both more "meaty" and "immersive", I think. I like to get lost in my books, that is to say, immerse myself in them. XD

Blaze: Thank you for the update and please thank Zukyun for weighing in as well. XD

I was convinced enough that I purchased the first three books from Amazon onto my Kindle. I will give those a try first and then see if I want to continue reading. :3

On another note, I have not finished Dave Eggers's A Hologram for the King but I did read The Circle and I have to say that it was exactly the kind of engaging, thought-provoking book that I was looking for previously. I would recommend it, although I know that there is a film coming it too, with Emma Watson and Tom Hanks in the lead roles, so maybe people would like to watch the film instead of reading the book.
Not sure what to expect from the film but the book really made me think twice about my usage of social media and the digital age in general.

All in all, I think I will give A Hologram for the King another try. I was really interested in watching the film too but I put it off because I would like to read the book first.

Btw, I hope people are okay with these mini discussions in the thread. I like to hear my fellow readers' opinions on what they are reading.

OOOOO!!!! I just had an idea: how many of you would be interested in starting a Zantarni book club? XD

Riley

Dedicated Citizen
Tue May 16, 2017 5:06 am
I love discussions about books in general XD
And I am definitely interested in a Zantarni book club!

Now that I'm finished with the classroom portion of school, I can read books that are not textbooks now :/
I'm not sure if I'll make my goal of 20 books this year, but I'll at least give it a shot. I haven't been that interested in reading lately, not after everything I just read for school.

Queen of the Realm
Wed May 17, 2017 8:08 pm
A Zantarni book club might be interesting...

Knight of Zantarni
Wed May 17, 2017 11:36 pm
Yay, at least two people interested in a book club. Well, three, if you include me.

I will put something together and post some of my suggestions and then we could maybe vote on which book should be under discussion?

bohemian

Dedicated Citizen
Thu May 18, 2017 12:27 am
Bo did make a book review club on here...but there was no real interest in it. Sad

But Bo might be interested in a book club on here.
Rayven: *gets hit in the face with some underwear* Wow Bo sure likes to get naked! XD
7250/10000
LillieRose

Knight of Zantarni
Thu May 18, 2017 12:43 am
I remember that Bo, I posted a review in it but I never followed up. How bad of me! Sad

Anyway, the thread is up, head on over there and post some suggestions. XD

bohemian

Dedicated Citizen
Sun Jul 09, 2017 12:03 am
Bo finally got around to adding her books to a list. Yes

I've currently misplaced one of my books...but I am sure it is someone in the explosion that is my room. Laughing
Rayven: *gets hit in the face with some underwear* Wow Bo sure likes to get naked! XD
7250/10000
Riley

Dedicated Citizen
Tue Aug 08, 2017 6:07 pm
Ugh, after I was finished reading everything for school, I've had no motivation to read for me now. I have two that are almost finished, and I think I'm waiting to get a book from the library, but I might break down and buy it instead.

I actually thought about rereading the Harry Potter series again, just to jump start my desire to read again, lol.

Dedicated Citizen
Wed Aug 09, 2017 12:04 am
That's what I tend to do. Read something that I've read before to start up the reading drive again lol. As it turns out, I've been rather interested in real life crime. Just glad there aren't any...icky pictures included in the books, just more mug shots of the crims. Yes

But I really need to get a move on and start reading my weekly readings...if they actually released them on time. thunk
7250/10000
Riley

Dedicated Citizen
Wed Aug 09, 2017 12:53 am
That sounds interesting, Bo. Any particular crime, or just crime in general?

I think I'm going to try to finish at least one of the two books I'm almost done with before I move on to the one I'm waiting for. These have been interesting self improvement books, but I miss my fantasy worlds =)

Dedicated Citizen
Wed Aug 09, 2017 7:20 am
So far it has been people who's crimes have been so bad/terrible/horrible, that they have been sentenced to life, with "Never to be released" stamped on their file. Most of them are in Super-Max out west of here...at least the ones in my state. At the time the books were published, a few of them had died in jail already, at least one was self-inflicted, another died as a result of an illness and I think a couple were jumped and killed in jail. One guy actually killed his partner in crime while in the same jail.

I have another crime book to read, but I think it is a more general book and possibly branches out from Australian crimes. Crimes That Changed The World. So I am guessing 9/11 and the Ok bomber will be in it. And possibly the BTK killer. I already noticed on the cover, the two boys who walked that 2-3 year old boy out of the shopping center in the UK and threw him on the railway tracks...either after killing him or to kill him...I can't remember...but I am sure the book is going to remind me about it. All I can remember is it was in the 80's...either before or after I was born.

I want to find a couple of books on serial killers. Possibly a book on the Moor Murders in the UK would be interesting to read about. I personally find the act disturbing and sickening, but also fascinating from a...a psychological? point of view. I'm an oddball really. Embarassed

If I get a pass on my case study, I'm going to buy me another true crime book...and ignore the pile of books I have to read already. Laughing
7250/10000
Riley

Dedicated Citizen
Wed Aug 09, 2017 4:38 pm
Well, you're talking to a RN who works on the psych unit at the county jail, so I don't think reading crime books are too odd =) Believe me, I've seen and heard some odd things, LOL

I have a feeling that a lot of my books are going to be donated when the moving process starts. There are quite a bit of books that I know I'm just never going to read, but I thought I might at the time I bought them.

Dedicated Citizen
Thu Aug 10, 2017 4:24 am
I tend to look up serial killers on the internet and spend HOURS reading about the different killers and their different methods. It usually starts with me reading up about ghosts and aliens first though. Laughing

I'm trying to sell some books online. But I may end up sending them to a charity shop instead soon. Just to get rid of them.
7250/10000
Riley

Dedicated Citizen
Fri Aug 11, 2017 4:46 pm
I have a whole bunch of books that I'm either donating, or getting credit for. My unit at my work always seems to run out of books. Though, if the patients didn't take them or destroy them, that would help.

Knight of Zantarni
Mon Aug 14, 2017 12:41 am
One of the first books I purchased when I got my Kindle reader was Helter Skelter.

*Lillie ish into true crime too*

>.>
<.<

*Lillie and Bo can be weird together*

On another note, I discovered a book giveaway through the newsletter of an author I follow.

Here's the link if any of you are interested.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Back to Forum -> Entertainment All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3