Handmade Gifts & Decorations (Ideas and How-To's)
Goto page Previous  1, 2
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Back to Forum -> Artists' Quarter [Nov.'19]
Mon Dec 30, 2013 5:19 pm
Thats one similar to one I like to do. You can get everything you need from the Dollar store... use baggies, and you can even buy a bigger, cheaper cocoa mix,.. and peppermint sticks and marshmallows are dirt cheap.

heres one thats easy and cheap too! and you can do cookies, muffins, WHATEVER!

Coconut-Pecan Muffin Mix

Makes: 1 gift (4½ cups in all)
Total time: 5 minutes

What You Need

1½ cups all-purpose flour (spooned and leveled)
1½ teaspoons baking powder
½ cup granulated sugar
¼ cup light brown sugar
½ teaspoon kosher salt
1 7-ounce package sweetened shredded coconut (2 2/3 cups)
¾ cup pecans (chopped)
What to Do

In a medium bowl, whisk together the flour, baking powder, sugars, and salt. Mix in the coconut and pecans. Keep at room temperature for up to 1 month.
Handwrite or download the following instructions on a gift tag or label to include with your gift: “Heat oven to 350º F. In a large bowl, whisk together 3 large eggs and ¾ cup canola oil. Add the muffin mix and stir just until combined. Divide among the cups of a 12-cup muffin tin lined with paper liners. Bake until a toothpick inserted in the center of a muffin comes out clean, 25 to 30 minutes. Makes 12 muffins.”
How to Package Your Gift

Transfer the mix to a resealable paper bag. Try the Tin-Tie Bag from myownlabels.com (from $4 for 12). Wrap with ribbon and affix with a label and a gift tag with the baking instructions.

Dedicated Citizen
Mon Dec 30, 2013 5:33 pm
Here are a few self-explanatory ideas!
Book Ornament
Several Cute Ideas
Money Wrapping Idea
Anniversary Idea
52 Things I love About You Card Deck
Home-Made Valentine's Card
S'mores in a Jar

Mon Dec 30, 2013 5:52 pm
14 Simple, Beautiful Homemade Holiday Gifts

Morning, Noon, and Night Bath Salts
Makes: 3 gifts
Total time: 35 minutes (includes 15 minutes drying time)

What You Need

Glass jars (such as the 4-ounce Glass Cork-Top Bottles; $3.50 each, containerstore.com)
salts (one salt per bottle; 5-pound bags range from $11 to $25 at saltworks.us, and kosher and Epsom salts are available at supermarkets)
essential oils (available at escentialonline.com or a health-food store)
3 one-gallon plastic resealable bags
measuring cup
small funnel
watercolor paper
watercolor paint and brush
ruler
scissors
metallic pen (such as the Sakura Metallic Pen-Touch Calligrapher Medium Point Pen; $3, *****.com)
metallic cord.
What to Do

For a stimulating “morning” concoction, use Himalayan salts (which are reputed to have detoxifying qualities) that have been scented with an energizing citrus oil like neroli or petitgrain. For “noon,” use Epsom salts and a warming oil, like rosemary (which is nice for muscles after a run or any kind of exercise). For relaxing “night” salts, use any kosher sea salt, combined with a teaspoon of powdered milk, which can soften skin, and soothing clary-sage or chamomile oil.
Pour 5 ounces of each salt into a resealable bag (this is a great gift to make in multiples, so double or triple the amounts as desired). To each, add 8 to 12 drops of essential oil (depending on whether you want a subtle or slightly stronger fragrance). Gently shake to mix the contents. With the funnel, pour the salt into a container almost to the top; wash and thoroughly dry the funnel between salts to keep the scents separate and moisture out of the jars. Seal the jars.
Choose a hue to reflect each time of day and paint a sheet of paper in each color (you’ll have enough paper for several labels). Let dry for 10 minutes.
Cut 1-by-3-inch labels. Mark each with the metallic pen, and tie them to the bottles with the metallic cord.

Dedicated Citizen
Thu Oct 29, 2015 3:27 pm
Quote:
Valentine's Day Gifts!

Picture Puzzle and Bag
"Recycling a canvas bag with a digital stamp, freezer paper and fabric ink makes your puzzle a perfect keepsake!"

Rice Krispies

◦Cooking spray or oil
◦3 tablespoons of margarine
◦6 mini cups (or 60 regular-size) marshmallows
◦Red food colouring
◦9 cups of Rice Krispies cereal
◦Heart-shaped cookie cutter
◦Plastic bags, ribbon

Ice Milk Heart Cubes

Very cute idea!

Fill a heart shaped ice cube tray with milk
Add a few drops of pink or red food dye (and mix it into the milk)
Freeze overnight
Add to a glass of milk!

Picture Frame White Board

Super cute idea!

Some Halloween themed Treats perhaps?
Pumpkin Diorama: instead of carving a face in a pumpkin to make a jack-o'-lantern, carve a window into it and create a diorama inside!
Lace Wrapped Candles
Bat Covered Front Door: using a stencil or create one yourself to make plenty of bat cut outs on black foam or construction paper to cover your front door, wall, or window with bats!
Black and White Painted Pumpkins
Paper Jack-o'-Lanterns
Seasonal/Spooky Terrariums: using an empty jar, fill it with (fake) : spiders, black birds, and other seasonal animals and spooky things.
Tissue Paper Ghosts
Lantern Pumpkins: paint the shape of a lantern on a pumpkin and carve out where the glass would be to create this!
These ideas and more here!

Knight of Zantarni
Sat Oct 31, 2015 4:58 am
I came across this idea for skeleton fairies and made a few of them. Here is a picture of one of the ones I made.

Arrow Click
Dusty

Dedicated Citizen
Sat Oct 31, 2015 4:20 pm
Those are awesome Cele! I'll have to go look around the clearance aisles tomorrow to see if I can find any skeleton type things on sale! Hehe! I'd keep them up year round! Heart

Knight of Zantarni
Sat Oct 31, 2015 4:38 pm
I'm very tempted to keep them out. Laughing I found the skeletons at the Dollar General...I'm pretty sure I saw them at other dollar stores. The butterflies I found at the Dollar Tree. I can't wait to look through the clearance isles tomorrow!
Dusty

Dedicated Citizen
Sat Oct 31, 2015 4:47 pm
XD They're super cute. I'll remember that! We have a Dollar General near our Walmart (and a Michael's right down the way too). I'm sure one of them will have what I need! Heart
Halloween clearance time is my favorite! I get to stock up on black and candycorn lights! :3

Fri Nov 18, 2016 1:54 am
Wow all the posts i keep finding are from a year ago. XD
I always make a lot of my gifts for christmas and birthdays. One thing i have been doing is getting t-shirts for free...you know that kind that doesn't have a seam on the sides? I cut those up and it makes one long continuous strand of t shirt yarn,just stretch it a little to make it roll onto itself...and then i use a big crochet hook to make it into a rug! Super easy. It does take a basic knowledge of crocheting though,but its pretty easy, you could find out online if you don't know how...and you can make round / square / rectangle rugs.

Dusty

Dedicated Citizen
Fri Dec 23, 2016 6:01 pm
That sounds super cool Pladgirl! Heart
I've been making hand-painted ornaments this year. I'll have to post some pictures when I'm done, but they're super simple. All I've been doing is taking glass ornaments, swirling acrylic paint around inside them, and then dripping paint on the outside. I also have some rhinestones I'll stick to them once they're finished.

Fri Dec 23, 2016 6:55 pm
That sounds awesome though lol I love those clear ones where they put stuff inside them. I have made some felt ornaments before, i have one on my tree right now thats shaped like a little dog lol Laughing My mom made me some felt ones too, ones a dog bone with our dogs name on, and one is a hedgehog! so cute!
I would love to see photos of yours when you are done Smile

Dusty

Dedicated Citizen
Fri Dec 23, 2016 7:15 pm
Aw, the felt ones sound adorable! c: I love the clear ones with stuff inside them too! I have one left, and I'm trying to figure out what to do with it. XD I'm running out of paint from coloring my other ornaments. I might need to see if there are any crayons laying around my apartment, there are some awesome ornaments I've seen online made from melting crayons on glass ornaments. Heart
I'll definitely post some pictures when I'm done! They're drying right now, but I should be able to get a picture posted by tomorrow. :3

Fri Dec 23, 2016 11:27 pm
Yeah,I think the felt ones are cute,fun to decorate too. ^_^
Oooh a melted crayon ornament sounds neat, i have seen those too. I would be afraid of getting it too hot and breaking it lol
I have also seen some where they put like pom poms or other little small thingys inside of it. It has to be tiny though i guess, it doesn't seem like the holes on those would be very large.
I used crayons once to color some candles i was making. I haven't burned one yet but i think it might smell like crayon when i do lol oops.
Laughing

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Back to Forum -> Artists' Quarter [Nov.'19] All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2