Smaller or Lesser Known Fandoms
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Back to Forum -> Entertainment [Nov.'19]
Mon Oct 27, 2014 3:22 pm
Whether anime/manga, games, books, movies, TV, or whathaveyou we've probably all had at least one or two interests that have had a small following or at least seem to not be well known.

This can be a place where we can talk about them and maybe find more current or old fans or bring in new ones.

For me my main example of this is From Eroica with Love. It's a manga about aristocratic art thief Dorian Red Gloria, Earl of Gloria, aka Eroica, Major Klaus Heinz von dem Eberbach of NATO Intelligence, and their hijinks when the Major's missions and Eroica's interests bring them together (by choice or otherwise). It started in the mid-'70's, so not only is it more classic-era style, but the clothing and world events are from that time, especially the focus on the Cold War.

I'd like to link to a place to read it, but I'm not sure of a place that has it anymore. I lucked out and found some English versions of the novels to buy online. I think I first read it on MangaFox, but I hear you're not supposed to use that if you can help it? I'm not really sure about the story behind it.

Mon Oct 27, 2014 5:20 pm
Vassalord (warning, yaoi) is one that has a very small fandom I know of. Even though it has OVA's it's still not as popular as others. It's a really good series but it's very slow. I think it's only up to volume 5.

Also I think Godchild always had a small fandom even though it's really good. I just can't recall a time it was insanely popular like Hetalia or Ouran, which I like both but I also like series that do not have a huge following or a following if at all lol.
Mon Oct 27, 2014 6:40 pm
I've actually heard of all of those (and read Goldchild at some point, but I don't remember much about it). XD

Tue Nov 04, 2014 12:12 am
@Bookworm Tea: Is Vassalord yaoi or shounen ai? I should have mentioned that From Eroica with Love is sort of(?) shounen ai? lol I don't know how to describe it really. The Earl is gay and shows affection for some of the men he's met (and those he works with), and he loves the Major, but it doesn't really go anywhere (as far as I know; I haven't read past Chapter 15 since I don't care for the style much after the hiatus). What is it and Godchild about?

@Manah: o: You know Eroica? What did you think of it?

Thu Nov 27, 2014 5:58 pm
@Chimera

Late answer is late. Embarassed

I didn't actually read Eroica, I just found it in some manga magazine and thought it seemed weird enough for me to like it. Then I forgot about it. Maybe I should actually read it now. XD

Fri Dec 26, 2014 2:56 pm
lol Well, it's hard to find for as old as it is (It started back in the mid '70's and all.), but I read it on http://www.mangahere.co/manga/eroica_yori_ai_wo_komete/ though I have the chapters up to 14 saved on my computer (other than 13 which is sometimes harder to find for some reason).

It was published for a bit a few years ago translated, but the company I think went out of business around Volume 15 or so, which was during either Chapter 13 or 14 and the last volume they printed was printed wrong on the last thirty or so pages anyway. x_x The chapters are usually at least a hundred pages long each, and I usually like to stop at the end of 14. She went on a seven or so year hiatus after that, and it wasn't really the same after she started back up again. The art style was too different, and she skipped over some important historical moments that would have been really important for the characters, like the fall of the Berlin Wall. 14 had a decent open ending anyway that would have been a good place to leave it if she didn't come back to it later on.

The first chapter or two should be taken with a grain of salt as she hasn't really set up Dorian's personality yet and the trio of teenagers are (thankfully) dropped shortly after Klaus comes in. Once it reaches the hunt for the Achilles's statue it's started in on how the rest of the chapters will go.