Update on state of Zantarni?
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Back to Forum -> The Great Library [Nov.'19]

How many people have read this?
I did!
77%
 77%  [ 7 ]
Second option!
22%
 22%  [ 2 ]
Total Votes : 9

Nen

Nen
Thu Nov 13, 2014 3:25 pm
Before I say anything else, let me say that I love Zantarni. I love the community, the close-knit bonds I have formed, the well thought out conversations, and the literacy rate. LOVE IT. I love most of the items, most of the events, and I think the staff is exceptional at speedy and polite replies to any problem that may arise.

With all that being said... Zantarni is dying. It was going downstream before the ownership change. But I check in every once in a while and see tumbleweeds where there was once a thriving, albeit small community. I miss the Zan of 3-5 years ago.

I guess I'm just wondering as to what has been improved in the last couple of years? I know I'm just a user, and now a fairly inactive one, but I am genuinely curious. It seems to me that EIs, DIs, and all other types of items continue to get churned out... but how many are actively purchasing them? The events are all essentially unchanged, the layout has stagnated for years, the site navigation is still the same too.

In the past few years, I have hesitated to purchase Gems with real-life currency for fear of my investment, however small, being negated by the site being so empty.

I mean no disrespect, truly. I am just concerned. I love this community and want to see it succeed.
Fri Nov 14, 2014 1:08 am
I agree Nen. I was an active member with a different account a couple of years ago, and it was still very active. But now, it seems that nothing is going on! No one's really on, and it's almost like it's not worth coming on anymore. Sad I LOVED Zantarni, I love the medieval feel of it. But, is it even worth coming on anymore, if no one else does? I think that's why so many people have left, because the site is pretty much dead now. Sad Which saddens me greatly.... Crying or Very sad
Fri Nov 14, 2014 2:03 am
I agree that the site has lost some of its luster lately. But we need to be !ore active as users and that will help encourage new users to join and old users to return!

That being said, I have suggested this site to everyone I meet on every other avi site that I'm on and most say that they don't like it because of

A. The avatars are too small. A lot of sites out there are coming put with taller, slimmed avatars. I wonder if we went through a base change if we could encourage more users? But we have so many items I don't know if that'd be very cost effective? Because most of the items would have to be revamped!

B. A lot of people that I recommend here don't like the layout of the site. They won't even give the site or the avatars a chance. I think maybe we could brighten this place up a bit more? It's been the same layout forever! And the front page is rather busy. Maybe tone it down a bit?
Fri Nov 14, 2014 3:29 am
Well there IS the the alleged revamp, but Blaze has been keeping that hardcore under wraps forever.

That's all I got. Further commenting would pretty much be redundant on my part.

Dedicated Citizen
Fri Nov 14, 2014 3:52 am
I've been here for along time and have seen this conversation over and over.

Yes the site is being update but that wont matter till you, and everyone else, makes up their mind to be dedicated posters. That is what it comes down to.

Ultimately the vast majority fail to do anything about it.

I run FOTY and I can tell you I've hosted a lot of mini events in there. I've changed the topic. I've given away rare items and millions of gold. Despite all this there has only been a hand full of regulars at any given time. I am there every day. I mean every day but does anyone stop in? No. Most users do not participate when there is activity and then wonder why there is no one here.

Dedicated Citizen
Fri Nov 14, 2014 5:20 am
You said it yourself, you are an inactive user and THAT makes YOU a big part of the problem. A lot of people use the fact that they are studying as an excuse as to why they can't come on and be more active. Moonie is a student and is studying and is all round a busy Moonie, yet she comes on everyday as she has said.
I'm actually going to be extremely busy due to having only two weeks left to finish up all my homework and assignments and then cram in time to study for an important exam. But I am still going to pop in within those two weeks to post.

Also a lot of people are leaving "because it is taking too long for the site to be fixed so I am going to whine about it and leave and hope that someone will suck up to me enough to get me to stick around". Blaze was left with a MESS when she inherited this site. I am no coder, but I know it does not take 30 seconds to go through thousands of lines of code to find out what does what and how it works. It has been almost 3 years now and the site is still functioning and Blaze is still churning out events and items and new DIS every month for the users to enjoy. Just because you can't see any changes, doesn't mean that there aren't any changes happening.

And if you don't want to buy gems because you don't find it to be a "sound investment", then buy some of the RL merchandise and help support the site that way.
Riley: Bo, the Goat Whisperer. XD
Blaze: Bo, you're just chaotic... Razz Heart
9695/10000
WishingMoon

Dedicated Citizen
Fri Nov 14, 2014 6:25 am
I would also like to add that the more users there are using the site the more reason there is to fix up the site. If there are more donations there could possibly be someone brought in to help with the coding of the site. Or possibly there would be more people to volunteer to help the site. (As far as I know none of our mods or artists receive compensation.)

Dedicated Citizen
Fri Nov 14, 2014 6:33 am
Also, this thread is better off being in the Main Hall, not the Great Library. The library is more for site issues or glitches to be reported.
Riley: Bo, the Goat Whisperer. XD
Blaze: Bo, you're just chaotic... Razz Heart
9695/10000
Dusty

Dedicated Citizen
Fri Nov 14, 2014 3:37 pm
All I can say is that I know I see Blaze online a TON, and I'm sure she's working her tail off for us. Heart
But, like Kiolentia said, Blaze is planning a revamp. Heart We haven't heard much on the matter, but we do know it's in the works. :3

Edit;; I don't think Nen meant that she didn't think enough was being done or anything like that, I think she was just curious about the state of the site (and probably expected a moderator to respond, hence the placement of this thread). It probably isn't particularly inviting to returning members to get criticized for being inactive, I know that it would scare me away.

Nen

Nen
Sun Nov 16, 2014 2:41 pm
To address the inactivity, no I haven't been active. I have a lot of reasons: I had a baby, my computer hasn't worked in years, a lot of things. Even with that, I did have internet access on my phone but due to the mobile incompatibility of this site it was too much of a headache to navigate for me to bother with regularly. I logged onto Zan literally the first day we got our computer fixed and browsed for a few days before posting this. I do understand that user inactivity is a huge part of the problem, but there have to be incentives for posting/ being active or at least new things to look forward to.

Dusty hit the nail on the head. I wasn't trying to be antagonistic (let's blame the ambiguity of text!), just genuinely curious as to any of those changes that i may not have seen, or might not be able to see. If i can't see them or read about them, I can't be blamed for being unaware!

Dedicated Citizen
Mon Nov 17, 2014 3:29 am
I'm not trying to be critical of individuals. There are always going to be a good reason for not posting. However a large portion of the population IS just not doing anything. That is a fact that needs to be faced. It really does get old.

Now that you've mentioned the mobile version of this site I can say this isn't the first time I have heard this problem. I would almost say that getting a simple working version of the mobile version almost needs to be a top priority project. I think it would help a lot.

Knight of Zantarni
Thu Nov 20, 2014 9:44 pm
Sorry for the delayed response guys, even though the original question seemed simple, as we can see from these different posts, it's more complicated than that.

@Nen: Although there may not have been huge visible changes within the last couple years, there have been some changes. For example, Blaze has done a bit of reorganizing of the dropdown menus so that they are more cohesive. Also, if you look at this snapshot of Zan from 2 years ago, you'll see that now all the boxes on the front page have a wooden border to make things more cohesive as well. Speaking of wooden borders, we also updated the various shop banners to be more consistant as well. You can see this update announced briefly in this Scroll of Edingtol.

As for how many people are actively purchasing EIs, DIs, etc., that's not something I'm privy too, and I'm not sure it's something that Blaze or most people would be comfortable with releasing.

In terms of events, I do concede that we may use a similar format each time, however, it should be taken into consideration that coordinating these events and even the different DI sets each month isn't an easy feat. Trying to come up with original themes, storylines, and then displaying them through items/quests/occassional trick or treating takes up quite a bit of time. We have occasionally tried to change things slightly in our approach though. With just this past halloween event we tried creating the story through a thread and then linking this to the quest function in towns. A couple of years ago as well, I actually coordinated the coronation event that had an open rp for people to join in as the quest was going on, but only a few people really participated. And since there was only a bit of feedback (mainly from the people who participated in that rp), it was hard to tell if a lot of the users liked it and would like that type of thing to continue, especially since doing events in that form requires more time commitments on the side of the staff.

As for the apparent stagnation of the site, what some of the users have said is true. Zantarni does not have the most solid base in terms of it's coding. It has been mentioned before that creating a new site is more efficient than trying to constantly sort through this messy code to be able to fix the simplest things. And yes, I have felt too that this has taken a long time, but it's not something that can or should be rushed. I'm sure that Blaze and Zukyun are trying to do the best for the future of Zantarni, so please be a bit more patient with us Heart

In the meantime, the best we can do is work with what we have, and what we have are our existing users. I think Moon said it best here:
WishingMoon wrote:
I would also like to add that the more users there are using the site the more reason there is to fix up the site. If there are more donations there could possibly be someone brought in to help with the coding of the site. Or possibly there would be more people to volunteer to help the site. (As far as I know none of our mods or artists receive compensation.)

As for needing an incentive to post, I'm not sure what can be done besides the occassional events we have. Moon has also mentioned that she has had many events in her thread which still hasn't attracted that much activity.

I also wanted to add that this was a valid question to have. Although my answers may not have been exactly what you wanted to hear, I hoped it helped at least a little bit.

@Fairytale: The whole people leaving because there are no people here, is one of those chicken and the egg things. As I mentioned earlier, we can't force people to post. Hopefully, us existing members can try to post more though to attract more people to post as well.

@Turtle: That's actually some very useful info on why some people haven't tried out Zan. Obviously I can't guarantee what happens in the future, but I think that creating a new larger base would be way more time consuming than it's worth to convert every single item on Zan. Maybe it's because I'm a bit more old-school, but I personally like smaller avi's better. The pixelling tends to look more sharp/clean on smaller bases, imo.

As for a new layout, as I mentioned earlier, we have to work with what we have, but hopefully we can get something really nice in the future with a new site.

@Moon: A mobile version of this site would be nice. I've tried accessing Zan through my ipod before and it wasn't the easiest thing. But in terms of priority, I'd personally want that time be spent working on the new site first.