Sew.... Who here knows how to make a circle skirt?
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Back to Forum -> Artists' Quarter [Nov.'19]
Mon Apr 29, 2013 9:59 pm
Ya, bad title but I had too XD

Anyway I'm tackling a circle skirt, up until now I've never considered looking into it, so I basically don't know what I'm looking for. I have the material cut and all the supplies and stuff (mine had to be cut into two half circles due to the material not being wide enough) I was just looking for some EXPERIENCED advice/tips/pointers on sewing and hemming it all together (since someone told me it was different?).

I will probably update this with more of my projects in the future. Please note that I'm newer at sewing and probably won't know all the terms.

Oh, and please be nice to everyone whilst in this thread =3
Sun May 05, 2013 3:36 am

*plops on into the thread*

I have not heard of a circle skirt before. Though I am sure that I have seen them around before.
Hemming if I remember correctly is for getting your fabrics together with a long loos stitch (I could be horribly wrong here[which it looks like I am]), while sewing is a stronger shorter stitch. It gives you that nice tight creased line. Very Happy

I can grab a link though to describe better as to what hemming is. Very Happy

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hem

Oh and here is a quick do it yourself tutorial I found while looking up what a circle skirt is. Very Happy it has nice pics to go along with it.

http://whatthecraft.com/circle-skirt-tutorial-new-and-improved/

Thu May 23, 2013 3:59 pm
This is nifty and it looks so easy to make, I so want to try making one of these... Yes :3
Thu May 23, 2013 8:19 pm
Good luck with your skirt, Lady Algophobic! May we see a pic when it's finished? *smiles*

That looks like a helpful tutorial, Lady Keres. *nods*

I made a circle skirt, a long time ago. Mine was set onto a "normal" waistband, not a deep waistband like the one shown on the tutorial. One thing I remember is that because the material was cut on the bias, it was sewn together using a stretch stitch on the sewing machine, so that the seam had some movement in it, rather than being "rigid" (if that makes any sense). It's also good to use a fairly soft material that will flow nicely when it drapes around you.

Fri May 24, 2013 7:47 am
I thought hemming is just a way of saying you´re finishing up the edges. Fold under twice (so the raw edge is hidden) and sew together. Circle skirt hemming can be a bit tough, 'cause the fabric is cut in a circle and not straight. Good ironing I'd say. Or another option for finishing the edges could be bias tape, which sews on a bit easier. If you don't want to see a stitch at all, the blind stitch is your way to go (sewing machines do offer that option too, though it's not as "blind" as the hand-version is. Depends a bit on the look you want, the fabric you chose etc.

I don't think sewing the skirt to the waistband would be very different from sewing a "normal" skirt, 'cause if everything's ok, you've cut the upper hole in the size of your waist, so the skirt & band part should come together nicely I think. Depends a bit on the pattern you used though/the final look you want for the skirt. I have a dress with a circle skirt and that one's a bit ruffled on my hips.

Are you going to use elastic or a zip? Or buttons? (I have a circle skirt with huge buttons on the front). Did you measure your waist or a bit below that? You'll need a way to get it on... And construction depends a bit on that too.

Would love to see a pic of the result, I love circle skirts. Very Happy

@ Keres: Aren't you talking about basting? That's a "temporary" stitch, often with long stitches so the fabric won't slip away during the construction. I often prefer the faster route though, pinning. ;-P
Sun Jun 02, 2013 10:35 pm
Nema - Thank you, I wasn't sure if it was the right kind of of skirt at first. Smile

Jode, Yeah I think you are correct on the basting. Yes I has been so many years since I was taught it in school.
Page 1 of 1