Religious Beliefs
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Thu Aug 04, 2011 3:35 pm
I don't consider myself "classified"... I mean, I'm not a believer in God, the Bodhisattva, Yeshua...but I'd like to think there's a higher power. Just not one that created the world. A strong follower of science and the Big Bang, I think I officially made my decision that being particularly religious wasn't for me was when... I was in second grade. My parents are Chinese and are Atheists. When my peers asked me what church I went to, I lied and said we were still looking for one and hadn't found one yet. Even at the young age of 7, my classmates were still "smart" enough to tell me that if I didn't go soon, I was going to burn in Hell.

I have nothing against religion but what disgusts me is how it separates the world so thoroughly. All of my friends are strong believers in Christ and respect my beliefs but can hardly hold it in. Religion is a tight subject for us.

I would never attempt to convert someone. It's their decision fully and I despise having heated debates about the miracles of God, or if he even exists. What makes me the most disgusted is when people won't budge. They won't even try to listen to why you feel this why. They simply think they are right, you are wrong, they are smart, and you're dumb.

I respect other people's religions to a T. Having been discriminated myself for my so-called "religion", I understand that these people have their own brains and they can make decisions for myself.

I don't really have a religion that could be classified as "Christian" or "Buddhist" or "Muslim". I'm simply....there. Sometimes, if I feel really, really, really stressed and I'm crying or something, I'll pray. I don't really expect an answer, but it makes me feel better all the same. I've taken lots of things from different religions and I guess I just do whatever.

Gay marriage is a tough subject for so many people to tackle, but I fully believe that it is and should be accepted by the law and by the people. Being a friend to a few homosexual people, I know that they're not some people who are sex-starved creeps. I know some people will think that being homosexual changes you - and maybe it does - but it doesn't mean the change is bad. Said friends have become more mature, understanding, and capable due to the harassment to homosexuals. And I will get up in your face if you dare make gay jokes around them. I think gay marriage should be considered "correct" because... I mean, really, isn't the Bible just a preaching of love? Loving others, loving yourself, spreading love? So what if your love is to the same gender? Does it matter? No. As long as you love someone, and you love them for real, it shouldn't matter what gender they are.

Religion's a tough subject, and I KNOW a lot of people are afraid to talk about it with peers and friends. But if no one's going to talk, how are we ever going to accept?
Sun Aug 21, 2011 6:46 am
I was raised in several Cults as was my husband. He was a Mormon. YES they ARE a CULT. I personally believe ANY religion that does not teach directly from the bible is a cult. Including Baptist and Pentecostal. I went to a baptist church school for 2 years. Because my mom bounced from one religion to another. I Also believe that Catholic Is a Cult for my own personal reasons. I have been brought up to think that if you dont do EXACTLY as jesus would do then you are doomed.. DOOOOOMED to hell fire. Its a scare tactic and one i am slowly trying to recover from. I dont want my kids brainwashed into thinking every minute they are going to go to hell. I had a very interesting conversation with my cousin about Religion and views. And she was explaining to me that god is LOVE and MERCY and PEACE. He wants nothing more than to SAVE his children. Something i was never really taught. I was always taught that we were sinners and not worthy of god and never would be. But the saving grace is gods love for us and the fact that if we trust in him to save us he will. No matter our path in life. People MESS UP. Thats a part of being human! My husband said once that as a father he gets so mad at our kids for doing stupid crap on a constant basis. However he would NEVER condemn them to death and hell fire. That hit me pretty hard... because in that moment i realized... God is our father.. I dont know a father who would do something so horrible to his child because he made a mistake. I think god is loving and kind and will save me. I admit i have made mistakes and i am no saint FAR FAR FAR from it. I say i am a christian because that is my beliefs, but i am more a child of god who has sinned and looks to my father for forgiveness when my time comes. The only thing we take with us when we die is out experiences. God gives us the right to choose. I choose to believe in god no matter what. It is by his grace and his mercy ALONE that i am saved. Because He loves me.

We go to Paradise alliance church. We learn about the bible and fellowship and sing wonderful songs of love and inspiration. I insist that my kids have a christian based faith too hold onto. Because i believe in the bible. And it says. Raise up a child in the ways they should walk and they will NEVER depart from them. I found my way back to god when i strayed and was mislead. Because before all of the crap and cults i was taught that god is love and mercy. I want the best for my kids. I want them to know and love Jesus Christ. That way when the day comes for them too there is no question about whether or not i did my job as a parent. I am responsible for their souls. Until they come of the age of accountability. I want them to be able to make thier choice based on experiences and the word of the living god. What ever your beliefs are you must realize one thing. YOU are responsible for YOU and your children. When YOUR time comes god has said EVERY knee will bow before him and confess he is lord. No matter what religion you are. I know i am probably going to skim by on the seat of my pants but if i dont i fully understand that my own actions and choices determine where i go after death. I know that god is a lord of his word. He WILL save those who BELIEVE in him.

This is my views. I am not trying to change anyone mind or anything but i do hope you take a minute to reflect on your decisions as a whole.. NO ONE is worthy. It is by gods grace alone that you are saved. You cannot earn your way to heaven nor can you decide AFTER you die that you Believe. Is it really so hard to believe NOW? Again not trying to preach.. only to reach Smile Whatever your faith.. may god go with you always and protect and save you. Hell was only meant for the devil and his angels. I hope it stays that way!
Fri Aug 26, 2011 9:14 pm
What is your religion?
I am Catholic.
Do you respect other people's religions?
Yes I do, in fact, I find it interesting to meet people who are a different religion than I. I don't give into the "Believe in god or you will go to hell!" thing, I believe that as long as you are a good person, you will go to heaven.
Do you go door to door trying to "convert" those who wish not to be converted?
Of course not! I would never do this. I hate it when people try and shove their beliefs down your throat.
Are you friends with just your own religion or do you have a wide variety of friends of many cultural differences?
I am friends with people of many different religions.
Do you accept other people's religions or do you think your religion should be the only one?
There are many different interpretations of a god/central life force, and some do not believe in one, but I think that people from every religion will go to heaven as long as they are good people.
What are your thoughts about your religion and gay marriage?
While people from my religion may accuse gay marriage of being wrong or immoral, I think it is perfectly okay.
Why do you believe gay marriage to be correct and/or incorrect?
I believe it is correct because people should be able to do what they feel is right for them. They aren't hurting anyone by being gay.
Sat Dec 03, 2011 6:43 am
I'm a Theravadan Buddhist, turned agape Christian. My husband is a Shia Muslim.

I'm not really for a lot of things in the Bible because it was a compilation, not the direct word of god and was rather selective, and a lot of it deviates from the principle that many seem to forget, which is love that Jesus taught and focused on.

But I respect the religions of all and only have problems with people with any major hypocrisy, like a Muslima wearing the hijab but I can see her butt crack and so on.

I don't wish to push religion. I don't think it should be based on fear but in love. And I don't think the number of people in your religion matters, especially if they are in name only and not belief.

I have friends from many countries and religions. My own household is proof of that too. I have from Wahabi Muslims (the extremists that even other Muslims hate) to Shinto in my family, and we all respect one another and even celebrate each other's festivities (which makes for awesome food XD).

I never saw wrong in gay marriages and I'm pansexual. I don't recall it being stated, even if you take the literal word of the Bible (so you can't sleep with another man but you can marry xD). And anyway, as above, I believe a lot in love which is the core of my beliefs.
Tue Dec 27, 2011 11:20 pm
I, like you, am Agnostic. My boyfriend is Athiest, his parents, I believe, are Christian, my father is Christian, and a lot of the people I grew up with are Christian.

My parents never took us to Church when I was younger, nor did they press any religion on us nor really practice any religion.

I did have a friend who was very religious. The kind who say "You're going to hell for this". She actually told me my parents were going to hell for getting pregnant with my brother before being married. She practically shoved the bible and church down my throat. Her parents were very nice, her church was nice. But it wasn't my church, and it wasn't my religion.

I can't say that i'm 100% knowledgeable with the bible, or with customs of a lot of religions. There are soooo many religions out there.

I quit going to church with my friend and she claimed I was a quitter and was abandoning it. I also have another friend who goes to that church-she's had sex out of marriage with a lot of guys, drinks and parties, has made out with a bunch of girls, and even did drugs. On top of that she can be really rude, judgmental, and crude. Yet she is Christian-but that's her life, not mine. I am not really friend's with her anymore because i don't like her very much. She is friends with my best friend.

Me and my best friend go back to 7th grade*we're both 21 now*. For about almost 2 years we had stopped being friends but grew up, got over it, and became friends again. During that time sara*my best friend*, became closer with Kari*the girl who goes to that same church I just mentioned*. Now Sara has been promiscuous in the past, has smoked weed, partied, drank, etc. But she is nice, smart, and she's settled down now with a small house and her fiancee'. Some time ago Kari for some reason decided to tell her Church about Sara and they claimed she was walking an evil path and they wanted to save her. Sara was Athiest, i'm not sure if she still is or if she's Agnostic. Either way, she doesn't share their beliefs and her life is HER business.

I just cannot stand judging minds like that.
I am Agnostic. I will listen about your religion. I'll read your bibles, look at your pamphlets, let you enlighten me on your beliefs. I will not convert, or change my mind, but I will accept your beliefs for what they are and accept you for who you are.

I like learning about new religions, even if I find them weird or hate them. You are entitled to believe what you want to believe.

I do believe in an afterlife, but I have no idea what that afterlife will be like. I believe in a greater being, or a God. But I don't know what that being/God is like and I do not believe in all the traditional viewings. I don't go to church, or practice any religious things.

If I have a child, I will raise them and teach them about multiple religions. When they're of an understanding age, i'll explain my beliefs, and help them find their own religion.

I would never go door to door, or do anything that is barging into someone's life and pushing my religion on them. All the time at work people leave pamphlets about different religions and stuff and it's annoying.

As far as being gay, and gay marriages go. I am not gay. I do have gay friends and have met gay/bi/lesbians before. It's fine with me. You love who you love and you are who you are. I believe they have every right to be proud of who they are, and every right to get married. Gay couples often even adopt children. Children need homes, and gay couples can't have children together. So it works out to me.

I am a very accepting person. I don't judge by race, religion, gender, sexual orientation, or anything like that. It's the person, their personality, their intelligence, and the way they act.

People who are so ignorant and push their religions on other people and only see their religion or lifestyle as the right one are stupid and blind.
Sat Dec 31, 2011 2:55 am
What is your religion?
I don't have an specific religion, i just go to a Pentecostal church, I do believe in Jesus.

Do you respect other people's religions? Yesss i do! I respect other people's religions and beliefs.

Do you go door to door trying to "convert" those who wish not to be converted? Well not door to door. ok i sing with my sister in duet, christian music, and we have sung in parks, coliseums, jails, differents churches. When we go door to door is in Christmas season singing when you're sleep. ^^

Are you friends with just your own religion or do you have a wide variety of friends of many cultural differences?
yes i have all kinds of friends who have their religions, for me that doesnt mean anything. I just tell them that i believe that there's only 1 God. and he's name is Jesus.

Do you accept other people's religions or do you think your religion should be the only one?
I think that religion is something and your beliefs is other thing, i talk to you about my beliefs if you think i'm wrong, is ok, but like i said in the other question, i think there's one God!

I dont want to offend nobody! and i respect other people's sexual preference that is the privacy of each person also i have a cousin who lives with his partner (other guy) and i love him ^^ but I believe God created woman for man and man for woman.

Why do you believe gay marriage to be correct and/or incorrect? Because how we're suppose to reproduce our selves if i'm with another woman? and men with men? woman doesn't have sperm and ovules at the same time, neither the men...

I Love You!
Sat Feb 18, 2012 10:47 am
  • What is your religion?
    I proudly class myself as a member of 'disorganized religion'. I'm a loose-polytheist neopagan. Which means that I believe all gods are just aspects of one being, and we choose the name and face we are most comfortable with. I believe in magic, reincarnation, fates, and that what we do comes back to us be that good or bad. I also believe that in the end the universe is a pretty fair place. Though I believe it's hard for us to see that a lot of the time. I have some funky beliefs about reincarnation and past lives that I believe in strongly, but tend to keep to myself. It's not worth the trouble.

• Do you respect other people's religions?
    It depends on the religion and how they utilize it. I have some issues with people who condemn mine or use their faith to justify hatred of other races, or people of different backgrounds. I dislike religions that oppress women, though I tend to believe that's more the followers mucking up the original prophet's or messenger's words rather than a reflection on what the religion is truly meant to be at its core. I guess ... I respect the religion and the message behind it, but not always the followers.

• Do you go door to door trying to "convert" those who wish not to be converted?
    I don't even tell people what my faith is much. I live in Japan, and I really can't be bothered to try and explain what I believe. My command of Japanese isn't good enough to do it well, and the English words are so difficult. Plus, no one really cares. I'm a lot more interested in learning more about Shinto and Buddhism and taking what I can from those and adding it to my own faith. They're so different than the traditional, Western, Christian society that I grew up with.

• Are you friends with just your own religion or do you have a wide variety of friends of many cultural differences?
    I'm sure I am. I don't tend to ask people what they believe in much anymore. Ask and you're generally expected to tell. And I really don't care to tell much.

• Do you accept other people's religions or do you think your religion should be the only one?
    Given that I change my belief system all the time, I have no issue with people choosing or making up their own.

• What are your thoughts about your religion and gay marriage?
    Love is love. Bring it on!

• Why do you believe gay marriage to be correct and/or incorrect?
    I believe that love between two consenting adults is never wrong. Gender doesn't bother me much.

Mon Jul 30, 2012 1:38 pm
What is your religion?
I'm not sure, I guess I'm agnostic.

I respect their religions as hard as I can. I have a hard time trusting and having faith so I'll be dead honest, it disturbs me slightly and confuses me. I'm VERY nice to them, that is until they become sassy or rude about it. And sadly I lose my temper very easily in scenarios like that.

No. My motto is is that everyone chooses their own path.

I have a wide variety of friends. Christians, athiests, satanists, buddhists, some religions I haven't even heard of! I respect them because I befriended them for their personality, not what they believe in. As long as their beliefs do not hurt another being or force someone to do something they don't want to, I'm alright with it.

Everyone's religion should be respected and accepted. Intolerance is BASICALLY hatred and doesn't your religion teach you to NOT hate?
I always like to tell myself and others, "It doesn't matter who you believe in, as long as you do good for the sake of good I am SURE your god or gods will let you into their realm." Just because you weren't guided by the bible or quran doesn't make you an evil being. That is seperationism at it's best. The gods are almost always described as benevolent and allknowing entities. I'm sure they or he or she would understand that a nice person who was a kind soul who happen to not know or not believe in them would still be a nice person and would be welcomed.

With marriage the only thing the churches can lay claim to is the ceremony being held in a church.
Homosexuals should not force the religious people to do something they do not believe in BUT the religious people cannot force homosexuals to not marry. Marriage is now dictated by a piece of paper. That's all there is. And the gays are ONLY asking for that. That they can sign a piece of paper. The law stops them from getting certain benefits because they aren't 'legally' married. Which is not fair at all. You can keep your sacred events in church and they can have theirs and their legal papers. Nobody even has to CLASH.

Well it's obvious I feel it's okay.
As stated above before marriage is a couple documents that you sign. Bam married. You don't even NEED to have a wedding. Homosexuals can have weddings---just outside of churches. Some churches even welcome them to be married! But you cannoit force those who do not believe it is right to have homosexuals marry in their church. They need to be allowed to have the right to sign those documents and have parties and weddings too. Nobody has their beliefs clashing, allow them to be able to sign those documents and have their own weddings outside of churches that disagree aaaaaand wallah.
I see both sides wanting to force the other to believe in their belief. Gays want ALL churches to allow them inside to do their weddings. And churches want the gays to have no rights.
We all need to stop making it black and white.

Sevenspire will love you for ever and ever if you help him <3
Fri Aug 17, 2012 1:09 am
Funny how we can change our ideas over time. New beliefs in black.
•What is your religion?
I was supposed to be a Catholic, but how can one be expected to believe in something having only been to vacation bible school for a month and a baptism/communion/I forget what the other term is? I would consider myself a borderline agnostic/atheist because I do not believe that there is a God, but often have found myself thinking that if he does exist, his existence means nothing. I'm not sure what to believe anymore. Sometimes I feel like I would have more of a Deist's view of God, other times I feel that it is a power that is better left undefined, which adds a sense of power to it. I'm not sure how to make that seem less stupid.
I find it interesting why a lot of individuals who were raised or are supposed to be Catholic have turned out similarly.

•Do you respect other people's religions?
I tend to when they respect my lack thereof. Even when they don't, I generally do anyway.

•Do you go door to door trying to "convert" those who wish not to be converted?
No. Too shy. It's a free country, they can practice what they want as long as they do not cause harm to others, because not only is that fair, but it's also the law.

•Are you friends with just your own religion or do you have a wide variety of friends of many cultural differences?
A variety of religions, but one of my closest friends, who is a devout Muslim, seems to be the most open of all of my friends to questions.
I also have several friends who are strong Christians, one of whom I agree with politically, the other one not so muc, but I remain friends with him because I love and respect him

•Do you accept other people's religions or do you think your religion should be the only one?
See two answers above.

•What are your thoughts about your religion and gay marriage?
My religion or lack of it has nothing o do with gay marriage. It depends on your definition of religion. I feel that this conversation can go into a more philosophical, secular route, but I fear that. Any person is entitled to marry who they love.

•Why do you believe gay marriage to be correct and/or incorrect?

I believe people can marry any person they want. Marriage is about love and commitment and if two people are willing to do that and accept all responsibilities that go along with marriage, then they can get married. Pay your taxes and don't cheat on your spouse.
Fri Aug 31, 2012 11:30 pm
What is your religion?
I am an atheist.

I suppose so. I respect everyone's right to believe what he or she wants, though I don't respect nor support the use of religious beliefs to justify hateful feelings or actions toward certain groups of individuals. I also cringe a bit at religious people who outright reject scientific theories that have loads of evidence because they seem to contradict an overly literal interpretation of a 2000-year-old book. I struggle to respect those beliefs.

No, I do not.

Most of my friends are university students. Statistically speaking, most of them should be atheist or agnostic. But I do have a few Christian friends. We get along just fine.

I accept other religions. I do think a world without religion would have less of the social problems ours does... but it is what it is.

Opposing a person's rights to anything on the account that he or she is attracted to the same sex is an atrocious. This kind of discrimination is what makes me angry at religion. Believe what you want about god and the afterlife, but don't use it to discriminate against people based on their sexual behavior because, frankly, that is none of your business.

Biological sex is a useful distinction only for procreation. For other animals, it's important, but as an advanced (not to mention already overpopulated) species, procreation is not vital. When you are looking for a partner, is procreation your main goal? Probably not. If it turns out your partner is incapable of having children, would you immediately leave him or her? Probably not. If you really want kids, you'd probably rather adopt than leave your long-term partner. Most of the significant aspect of a long-term relationship are in the emotional side, and intrinsically, gender plays no part in that. So why be so closed-minded as to eliminate a whole gender from your pool of potential partners? Same-sex marriage is, at its core, no different from heterosexual marriage. People who love each other should all have the same rights no matter who they are.

I think that's a wonderful and admirable way to raise your children. It really upsets me to see parents brainwashing their children into their own religious and political beliefs. I will teach my children what I believe, but I don't plan to force it on them. I plan to introduce them to the ideas of all the other sides and present them with the logic that I used to arrive at my own philosophy. They are obviously welcome to use their own logic to arrive at other conclusions. I just want them to have a set of core values to back up their own beliefs. A strong belief system must be built on a strong logical basis. Your mind is your most valuable asset.
Rayven

Dedicated Citizen
Sat Dec 29, 2012 5:12 am
What is your religion?

Well I grew up Baptist, but as an adult I prefer Pentecostal.

Yes I do.

No. I don't believe in doing that. However I will witness to someone if they seem to want it.

Well I would be friends with anyone. However where I live most people are Christians like me.

Even though I may not agree with other religions I have no problem with people being other religions.

Well my religion believes it is wrong to be gay. However I am a live and let live type of person and I'm not judgemental so whatever someone wants to do is up to them.

As I stated before my religion feels being gay is a sin. As for me personally, I believe that it is between that person and God. If they believe in God of course.

Dedicated Citizen
Sat Dec 29, 2012 1:07 pm
What is your religion?
I was born and raised a Roman Catholic plus I dabble in Paganism. I love my tarot and oracle cards.

Yes. Though, if you try and force your religion down my throat, I'm going to shove the bible plus my tarot cards down yours. Yes

No. If someone wants to learn more about my religion choices, they can ask me about it. I'm not going to go knocking on strangers doors telling them that what they believe in is wrong and they should only believe in what I believe in.

Most of my friends are Roman Catholics, some of them aren't religious. Those that aren't religious seem to like it when I bring my tarot and oracle cards to some of their parties. I generally have a knack for drawing or at least reading the cards in a way that relates REALLY well to that person, especially if I don't know them all that well and the others around who do know them, just stare at me wide eyed and open mouthed.

I don't think anybody should be forced into anyone else's religion. I am more than happy to debate different religions with other people, not putting them down or anything, but to gain a better understanding of the religions. If you can't sit down and have a straight forward talk about different religions and try to force your religion and what you think to be the correct way of thinking, then I am sorry, I don't have the time of day for your narrow mind.

If my gay friends want to get married, I will be there with ALL the gay bells on. I'm not against it. Screw what the pope says. Nazi youth ******. Yes

If two people are happy with each other and in love, then I do not see the problem with them being able to be together. I just find it sad that the law won't allow it.
Rayven: *gets hit in the face with some underwear* Wow Bo sure likes to get naked! XD
Riley: Bo, the Goat Whisperer. XD
8960/10000
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Back to Forum -> The Scholar's Room All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3