* Zantarni, year 2 ... in review *
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Back to Forum -> The City Hall
Tue Jul 31, 2012 4:38 pm
Probly a dumb question here >w< ..

But why are is the complete script being rewritten for the site? This one appears to be operating just fine, wouldn't it be much easier to simply modify this one? Yes

CliCk mE :3
Blazestorm

Queen of the Realm
Tue Jul 31, 2012 5:07 pm
LOL! Obviously, you haven't seen the code around here! Dead

Joking aside, yes, it would seem that adjusting the current code would be the easiest and most logical route, but trust me... it's not. No We have been wrestling with it for some time now, (both Zukyun and I have a background in programming, application and site development for international companies in various (big) industries) and we're not making nearly the progress or developmental changes we would have liked. I won't get in to the technical details, but a rewrite is completely in order here. It's necessary - for a variety of reasons.

Think about it this way if you want - do you really think I'd leave you guys with all the mish-mashed code and features that only half work if the existing code actually made sense? Confused (answer: No, I wouldn't.)
Tue Jul 31, 2012 5:25 pm
No, oh mystical and great Queen, you wouldn't Very Happy

So by rewriting all of the codes and such for the website, that means all of the little broken-isms ((such as the carrying weight for items, the little asterisks that are supposed to be helpful in the search bars and aren't)) and wish list items ((page jumpers through forums, more hair colors/styles, ect)) will be installed?

Why wouldn't you use this current code and type out the new one on a "seperate piece of paper" like note pad? That way the site wont go down?

Sorry, you can tell I have nooo idea what I'm talking about

CliCk mE :3
Blazestorm

Queen of the Realm
Tue Jul 31, 2012 5:42 pm
Pretty much... all those "little things" you guys keep asking about in the Great Library - like search pages that actually work, the ability to bookmark or otherwise note threads you're interested in, better navigation through the Zantarni Shops and the pages within them,... all the stupid little forum *cough* idiosyncrasies *cough* that we've dealt with here for so long... trying to get some of them to work properly is kinda like trying to find the starting point in a scribble drawing ... and then trying to straighten out the scribble in to something that makes sense and "works properly". Sometimes, it's just better to start again.

To be clear... the site will not go down because of our development efforts... at least not for any length of time. And even if it becomes a necessity to take it down for the transition period, it will be extremely short-termed... and it's a long, long way in the future. We know what we're doing, Bob... really... and we'll keep everyone informed about things as they are better defined. :3

Wed Aug 01, 2012 1:52 am
I just want to say what others have already said, thank you all for all the hard work and time that all of the staff put into the site to make this place as fun as it is... Heart
Wed Sep 12, 2012 1:09 am
Oh my goodness. <3 Coming back after a huge hiatus? This is the best announcement for me to see. xD I'll make sure to check back once in a while -- this is a very-much anticipated change.

lurking since 30 november 2007
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Back to Forum -> The City Hall All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2