Herbs/ Herbal Medicine
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Back to Forum -> The Scholar's Room [Nov.'19]
Fri May 04, 2012 10:16 pm
So, I have a super active interest in herbs both psychoactive and otherwise medicinal. I was wondering if anyone had the same interest, or if anyone has experience in making medicinal smoking blends or tinctures to treat various physical and psychological medicinal issues? I don't have many people to talk to on the subject and I would enjoy reading about other people's opinions on or experiences with this.
Sun May 13, 2012 3:34 pm
My minor in college was organic chemistry but I have no aptitude for making tinctures and potions and so forth, personally. However, I am very interested in herbal medicines overall. I know some of what they do. What I don't know are standards of measuring potency in what is offered for sale (since I can't make these things myself) so therefore, I mistrust a lot of what I see. Sorry, but I have a complex relationship with herbal medicinals since I have a degree also in medicine so am more used to traditional allopathic medications.
Tue May 15, 2012 5:57 am
I order my herbs from a super reliable source that are garanteed to be organic and checked for potency. A lot of them also include dosage information. I appreciate your input even though you say you are more used to traditional medicine. I grew up experiencing all that, but I suffer from anxiety and insomnia and I don't want to take a traditional medication for either. The ones I have tried I had bad experiences with. So I am looking into using psychoactive botanicals and herbs, many of which have been used in different places of the world for centuries. Also, I am looking into making oils for my mom who suffers from some muscle inflammation.
Tue May 15, 2012 6:26 am
Anxiety and insomnia can be treated with a simple mix of valerian, passionflower, hops and chamomile. There are many natural medicine companies make a 'sleep' formula which is safe to use in moderation. I have had problems with this in the past and have used this natural remedy with excellent results. I highly recommend you do alot of research on herbs and their preparations.

Good luck.
Fri May 18, 2012 7:13 pm
I have no issue with herbal remedies as I said, however, I do have to point out that herbal "remedies" are medications. They are natural, but they are medications. You are not getting away from medicine by using herbal remedies. You are just getting away from doctors.

I am glad you get your herbs from a reliable source. Can you pass the source on to me? I am interested to learn more and might want to order some myself.

Valerian is a medication and it is used to make Valium.
Willowbark = aspirin
St. John's Wort is a tricyclic antidepressant. In herbal form it typically has 3x less potency than what is required to actually help depression. Also TCA levels can be monitored and titrated whereas who knows what you are getting with the herb.

That is not to say I am putting down herbal remedies. I am just stating that they are indeed medications - possibly potent ones. I want to learn about them so I can use them, but I will use them in the full knowledge that they are medications.
Tue May 29, 2012 7:54 pm
Umaeril I understand what you're saying, I just meant the word "medication" in the conventional sense of pharmaceuticals and stuff. Shaman's garden is a good site for psychoactive herbs, things that help with sleep, anxiety, energy, etc. The other herbs I would use would be from one of the local herb shops we have in my area. And Absynthe, thanks for the tip! I will have to try that, is it best in a capsule, as a tea, tincture, or decoction? Or does it matter?

Been using essential oils lately, aeromatically, topically, and internally when safe and possible. Its been working really well for me, lavender cleared up my sunburn in a day and putting it on my pillow has been inducing deep sleep every night I've done it (I have bad insomnia, so deep sleep is bliss for me).
Tisiel

Knight of Zantarni
Fri Jul 06, 2012 3:00 am
I've taking to using Bach's Flower Remedies... The ones listed here are largely pre-mixed, but if you go through the site, they will list out the flowers/ herbs used and what they are used for, so you could potentially make your own combination.

I quite like these -- They've (so far) been fairly effective and I've not encountered anything that they contraindicate with to date (but best to check with your pharmacist if you're on any other meds).

Fri Aug 03, 2012 3:16 am
I used to have an interest in herbal Medicine. I remember checking out a book that had list of herbal plants from A-Z and their healing properties. It's been years since I saw that book and I don't know if it still on the shelf any more. I found some other books listed at the library about teas. Since I a fan of herbal teas I looked it up. There's not too many books on the subject at the library near us, but I did find plenty list in book stores. I would certainly never replace medication. I do believe that plants can aid in your health when used properly. I was also wondering if the effects of the herbal tea differs in the way it is drank.
Should it be taken sweetened or unsweetened? I've tried to sweeten mind with honey but wind up add sugar to it which is probably defeating the purpose of it in the first place.
Sun Aug 12, 2012 8:43 am
I looked on Amazon and the book about herbs that I want is like $80 >.< lol.

edit: I generally just collect information from various reputable sources; books, websites, etc. and write them in a big book I have. But I do this for all kinds of herbs and random stuff as a hobby Smile
bohemian

Dedicated Citizen
Fri Sep 07, 2012 9:17 pm
I collect books on herbs. I studied Agriculture and for one of my individual studies I did do about herbs. And I included several plants that are used as a pasture for animals to eat, mostly sown on dairy farms to improve milk quality. My teacher was surprised by how many herbs I had that were also used for pasture, had medicinal properties.

My second one was about weeds, but a few herbs were included on that list, mostly because they spread like weeds. >.>

But a decent book that you should look for, I don't think it has anything about smoking blends, but I think it does discuss making tinctures, or at least something like a tea (hasn't read the book in at least a year), but the book is called, The Illustrated Herbal Encyclopedia by Brenda Little. I think the book was first printed in 1999. My copy was printed either 2002 or 2003...which means I've had it for at least 10 years now. Shocked

Though if you want to know about the original "magical" properties of herbs, I recommend
Scott Cunninghams' Encyclopedia of Magical Herbs.

I added links to amazon with the books, but I would look around for a paperback of Brenda Little's book instead of getting the hardcover, as I only paid $20 for my copy. I would never have looked twice at it if it was priced at $220 like the hardcover is on amazon. Jawdrop

If you want names of some other books I have on herbs, I'll be happy to share them with you, but I think they are mostly for gardening and cooking, with limited information on medicinal properties. Yes
Riley: Bo, the Goat Whisperer. XD
Blaze: Bo, you're just chaotic... Razz Heart
9520/10000
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Back to Forum -> The Scholar's Room [Nov.'19] All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1