I need ideas
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Back to Forum -> Artists' Quarter [Nov.'19]
Sat Feb 25, 2012 12:20 am
See, I'm currently writing a zombie story, and I don't want it to be too cliché. I need interesting ideas of what to do with the plot and storyline so it can be different than the rest.

Here are the main details of the story: In the beginning, Ace Archer, the main character and a true Texan, tells the readers about when he first realizes that his town has been taken over by zombies. Then, he tells how he meets Dana Gabes. I'm only 3 pages into it so far, and that's basically all that's happened, but I need something different to write so it won't be to similar to the Left 4 Dead game, or the Walking Dead tv show (which I am a huge fan of and if there are any RPers out there I'd like to do an RP with that). But anyways, any ideas:?:

Sat Feb 25, 2012 12:24 am
Kivviedoesitall wrote:
See, I'm currently writing a zombie story, and I don't want it to be too cliché. I need interesting ideas of what to do with the plot and storyline so it can be different than the rest.

Here are the main details of the story: In the beginning, Ace Archer, the main character and a true Texan, tells the readers about when he first realizes that his town has been taken over by zombies. Then, he tells how he meets Dana Gabes. I'm only 3 pages into it so far, and that's basically all that's happened, but I need something different to write so it won't be to similar to the Left 4 Dead game, or the Walking Dead tv show (which I am a huge fan of and if there are any RPers out there I'd like to do an RP with that). But anyways, any ideas:?:
Yea Zombie thing can be curse like that werewolf thing. That started with one person doing something bad then end up where he or she touch someone they stating die.Then come back as zombie. The die can start like cold then end get so bad you die.So this noting like virus or chemical spell like all other movies.It curse version it act like virus but end up alot diffident.Like zombie can act diffident then those already made.You can make this Zombie smart but not too smart to point where they hunt in packs like wolves and they stay together die together or not.They have one of Zombie out the pack that act more smarter then others and yet more dangerous then those of rest of the pack.
Sat Feb 25, 2012 12:38 am
Well, Holy.. you are some what correct there.. to come a zombie, a person must die but they to be affected by someone who is already a zombie before they die, like being bitten.. and to be honest, I don't think you have to truly dead to become a zombie, you could start changing after being bitten if you escape..

And only difference between werewolf and zombie.. you can actually cure someone who has been bitten by a werewolf before they fully transform.

Anyway, back to the story ideas.. First of all, is the story set in Texas? I know you mention the lead is a Texan but no mention of the state or town this story will be set in.. And will this be Summer or Winter.. I think most of the zombie stories are always Summer set cause usually there's always a child involved, so having this take place in the Winter would be different cause the zombies, assuming the setting is in Texas and Texas can get really hot, seeing it's a desert state and zombies, well.. don't take too kind to the heat, they sorta decay faster.. not pretty.. which is why I remember most of the zombies flicks taking place at night. In Winter, the zombies could be out in the day time, making both day and night not safe for the hero/heroine. Also, instead of them getting trapped in a house, car, etc. Have them fighting the zombies on bare foot across the desert, etc..
Zombies don't move that fast and if the hero/heroine can't outrun a bunch of staggering, rotting piles of flesh over a desert with the only worry is running into a cactus, than we have a problem..
Sat Feb 25, 2012 11:24 am
I don't write zombie stuff and I don't know much about it. But I do know writing.
Honestly, every idea under the sun has already been done once. You're not going to come up with something that has never, ever been done before. You can put a new twist on it or switch things up a bit, but it's really all in the execution. Ideas are cheap. Doing 'em well is something else again.
Sat Feb 25, 2012 11:07 pm
WildFae wrote:
I don't write zombie stuff and I don't know much about it. But I do know writing.
Honestly, every idea under the sun has already been done once. You're not going to come up with something that has never, ever been done before. You can put a new twist on it or switch things up a bit, but it's really all in the execution. Ideas are cheap. Doing 'em well is something else again.

My thoughts exactly. It's like any story involving any monster.. -vampires, zombies, werewolves- all plots have been done but not always in the best way. Doing a plot similar to one already done but improving the story would make it stand out more.
Mon Feb 27, 2012 10:45 pm
Actually, I changed part of the story. The story is set in Texas, and the lead, Ace Archer, just starts off tellin' how the zombies got into his area, Houston. His neighbor, Zeda, comes from upstairs and tells him her nextdoor neighbor, Mr. Collins, is currently shooting zombies away from him and stuff. Basically, they meet a fireman, then go into Mr. Collins apt. and talk with him, and that's what I have so far. So I need a name for the disease that makes people turn into zombies. The slang version I have is Ice Fever (thanks to the person who said they should get cold before turning into one. I actually used the idea!) And I'm lookin' up medical terms for that, but none sound right for what I want. So will someone recommend one?

Mon Feb 27, 2012 11:17 pm
On the subject of turning into a zombie, there is also the possibility of airborne contamination through a virus, among other things... With the increasing popularity in zombie stories, there have become many more ways for them to multiply, as opposed to what zombies once were, just the risen dead...

I've studied zombies as if they were a real thing, so if you need any help with anything involving them, I know my stuff... :3
Which is silly since they aren't real, but ya know... XD

And what exactly are you looking for about the medical terms??? Like, what exactly is it describing???
I may be able to help with that...

-edit-

Also, as a part of the recent popularity of zombies, they've really advanced beyond the staggering, walking dead that they once were... Now they can even be portrayed as having superhuman strength or speed... So its really all about the vibe that you want, whether or not you want lots of chases and that sort of thing...

Tarcia=Shugga
Tue Feb 28, 2012 8:43 am
You could take a page from science and do something like the Ophiocordyceps fungus that attacks ants, destroys their minds, and makes them do set functions before killing them. It's pretty terrifying.
Tue Feb 28, 2012 11:01 am
Another thing you may want to look into is a game called Red Dead Redemption Undead Nightmare, it's fairly popular being a zombie game in a western setting so people don't claim you stole any ideas from it.

As far as medical terms, I'm not sure if you want like the exact name of what going on with them or if you want something simple such as muscle degeneration as being a part of why zombies are slow, limping and mainly, decayed.
Sat Apr 28, 2012 3:51 pm
I agree with what everyone here has said.

Using an exact name for the disease or epidemic may be a little tricky, so I would recommend making something up, that way factual information doesn't limit you. However, maybe try and base it off something realistic. There are some terrifying diseases out there that, if they didn't kill you, I could see people becoming zombies. Ebola is the first one that comes to my mind.

But I have an idea in terms of story. A lot of times, people make zombies slow and stupid. I think a more terrifying take (which has been done, but very rarely) is to give the zombies human intelligence with incredible speed, but still have them hunger for human flesh. Slow, stupid zombies are creepy, but they can't put up that much of a fight, and it would become boring after a while. Facing more intelligent zombies that can actually chase you, hold you down and kill you would be more bone-chilling to me.

But that's just me. I hope your story goes well~
Page 1 of 1