Why & How do you use the Freebie Shops?
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Back to Forum -> Freebie Shops [Nov.'19]

Why do you have a Freebie Art Shop?
to practice skills or try out a new style
34%
 34%  [ 10 ]
because you don't know what to charge for art / are working for tips only
3%
 3%  [ 1 ]
just like to draw / are bored / want to do something nice
44%
 44%  [ 13 ]
don't want a full art shop and all the stress!! *dead*
6%
 6%  [ 2 ]
this is a temporary shop only
3%
 3%  [ 1 ]
something else (please post!)
6%
 6%  [ 2 ]
Total Votes : 29

Blazestorm

Queen of the Realm
Mon Dec 06, 2010 7:56 pm

Why do you have a freebie shop?
How do you use it?
What is your purpose for setting up a freebie shop?

Is it...
    To practice your skills or to try out a new style?

You don't know what to charge for your art, so you work for tips?

You just like to draw and/or are bored / want to do something nice?

Want something less demanding than owning a full art shop?

Something else?

Tell me, freebie shop owners!!

Dedicated Citizen
Mon Dec 06, 2010 8:03 pm
I'll go ahead and answer a few questions. I know I don't have a freebie shop but I do have set periods where I do freebies in my request shop. Sorry if that isn't something you want.

To practice your skills or to try out a new style?
Not exactly but I do freebies at times when I feel like using a medium that doesn't get ordered much.

You don't know what to charge for your art, so you work for tips? No

You just like to draw and/or are bored / want to do something nice?
Holidays are something I like to take part in and try and do freebies at that time. Getting people to come an chat is always wonderful and what is a better way of getting people in your thread then the word free, giveaway,ect? I do also try and give away art to those who show real dedication to my shop.

Want something less demanding than owning a full art shop? I can't say this counts for me. -has put 40 hours into a freebie before- I put as much quality into all my art in order to get better. So the demand doesn't go away for me.

Mon Dec 06, 2010 8:04 pm
Personally, I don't believe I've ever had a freebie shop, but if I did set one up my reasons for setting it up would be:

-To try out a new style
-To improve my art skills

It might also consist of not knowing what to charge and hoping for a tip. I hardly ever know what to charge for my art skills. <<;..

But that would be why I would set up one, if I ever did. :3

Mon Dec 06, 2010 8:18 pm
Talous wrote:
I hardly ever know what to charge for my art skills. <<;..

And thats exactly why I don't even bother XD
When another takes my place?
Mon Dec 06, 2010 8:36 pm
Turtle wrote:
Talous wrote:
I hardly ever know what to charge for my art skills. <<;..

And thats exactly why I don't even bother XD

Well. my only problem is, because of lack of time, I'd not put up a freebie shop. x: But if I had a lot of free time and styles that I wanted to try out, that would be my reasoning for putting a freebie shop up.

But yeah..<<;..Bribe shops work for that too though, Turtle. 8D Here's my art, what I can do, bribe me and I'll tell you if I'm interested in doing the art. xD

Queen of the Realm
Fri Dec 10, 2010 2:35 am
Thank you for your replies.

Anyone else?

Knight of Zantarni
Sun Dec 12, 2010 9:29 pm
I don't have a freebie shop currently, but I did have a temporary one in the past. Considering the reasons you listed, it's mostly a mix of them for me.

I made a freebie shop in celebration of my Zanniversary, as I wanted to do something nice and I also just felt like drawing at the time. In doing the art, I wasn't planning too, but I did actually try out a new art style. In terms of less demand than an art shop, that's true in the sense that with freebies I don't feel as restricted to what I made. Although I did put in as much effort in the freebie art I made compared to if someone actually paid me.

The real difference for me between a freebie shop and art shop is that in the art shop you're dealing with certain customers and have to fulfill their expectations, but with a freebie shop that responsibility feels lessened. Sure I still want to make them art they'll like, but I feel more free to add in my own style in there and not conform myself to what others want as much. Plus, if I'm busy with something else and need to close the shop or delay work on the art I don't feel as bad, since they're not paying.

As a last note, I don't know what my art is worth either, but while a tip from a freebie is nice it's not mandatory so I don't necessarily work in hopes of getting one. If I demand tips as I give out freebies, it doesn't feel like it's a freebie anymore.

Hope this helps!