Remember the Basics
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 3, 4, 5
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Back to Forum -> Artists' Quarter [Nov.'19]
Sat May 17, 2008 4:19 pm
For anyone having troubles with proportions (especially with face allignment), try griding out your paper and subject. This works especially well if you're drawing from a photograph. Simpy make a grid of the picture, and then an equal on your paper. Make sure that the grids are cohesive and measure correctly.

Once you have your grids, just start drawing filling in each one at a time. It may take some time, and it feels much more toiling (since it's so mathematical), but it really will help.

I used to have troubles with drawing eyes too far apart or too close together. But now my eyes have like a natural grid built in, and it's not so much of a problem anymore.
Tue May 20, 2008 5:46 pm
Thank you everybody for your helpful tips!
Hopefully I'll actually learn something from this...

And just one tip from me:
Go to a mall, or a park, or any other place like that to examine and draw the people. you can learn a lot from watching how people move around, and go about their business. If your going to photograph anyone make sure to ask their permission first.
...and don't act creepy, it could get you arrested...
Thu Aug 07, 2008 1:43 pm
Just the one question,
I've been drawing in the style of Anime/manga since I was about 9 or 10. I'm now having trouble drawing anything but and its driving me nuts. They're all well proportionate but I can't get out of the habit of those cute eyes and easy to draw hair.
So i guess the question is, does anyone know how to get out of this spiral?
Tue Dec 16, 2008 3:14 am
thanks these are some good tips Smile
Tue Sep 07, 2010 2:57 am
Lustless wrote:
Just the one question,
I've been drawing in the style of Anime/manga since I was about 9 or 10. I'm now having trouble drawing anything but and its driving me nuts. They're all well proportionate but I can't get out of the habit of those cute eyes and easy to draw hair.
So i guess the question is, does anyone know how to get out of this spiral?

Theres several ways to get out of it.

References is a good way, not to mention focusing more on face proportions.

A good way to change it quickly is to force yourself to draw in a different way. For example, if you tend to look for contours and tend to work based on contours try to do more shading and sort of build the figure up that way.

Theres two things to keep in mind with hair. Theres a lot of colors to it, highlights/lowlights so you can use that to help with shading. Also don't worry about having to draw all the strands, a few strokes in the right direction and some nice shading is all you need, the viewer will add the rest of the details in for you.
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Back to Forum -> Artists' Quarter [Nov.'19] All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 3, 4, 5
Page 5 of 5