NaNo 2016
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Back to Forum -> Wordsmith's Nook [Nov.'19]
Riley

Dedicated Citizen
Sun Oct 30, 2016 4:34 am
Is that time again! My thread for last year's NaNo didn't get any hits, but I know there are some Zan folk who partake in NaNo.

Anyone doing it this year?
What's your story about?

I didn't realize that the rules had been changed. When I first started, you had to start from scratch. Continuing a story in progress wasn't allowed. But, as long as you hit 50k words, we can work on or edit previous stories! That makes me really happy, as I was planning on skipping this year's NaNo to edit my last story, but now I can do both.

Has anyone actually gone to a NaNo writing event?
Amurita

Knight of Zantarni
Wed Nov 02, 2016 2:19 am
I've participated in Nano in the past, but not this year. I've been doing camp nano more often since I've been busy with school the past few novembers but am free during summer.

And that's nice to hear that they're more open to other options during november. They encourage editing and other creative pursuits during the camp version, so that's why I like it as well. Although, considering that I've been editing the same story for the past few years, that's probably why I like it too, lol.

I've never gone to an actual Nano event as I'm super awkward and introverted, but I've always been curious about them.

Note: Just in case you were wondering, I locked the previous year's thread, since we have a new one Yes

Dedicated Citizen
Wed Nov 02, 2016 3:58 am
I'm conflicted. First and foremost I'm trying to get straight A's. This is a lot of work. I have at least 1-2 books to read a week. I predict I need to do 80-100 hours of drawing by the 11th. I have other writing assignments I need to focus on.

I also hate writing.

At the same time, I want to create a sci-fi comic and I need to work on the story. I was thinking trying to participate in Nano, but with a significantly reduced word count, and reading a book on sci-fi writing would be a good idea.

Dedicated Citizen
Wed Nov 02, 2016 6:11 am
Amurita - What are the camps like? I've never participated, but I've always been curious about them. Is it just an online thing?

Moon - There was one NaNo where I was just so busy with school, that I wasn't able to do the full 50k word count, but I did make 10k goal, and managed to write 12k. Even though I made my goal, I still wasn't happy I wasn't able to make the 50k - I'm my own worst critic. But I guess I was sort of happy that I was able to do what little writing I was able to do. Small goals are still goals in the end ^^
WishingMoon

Dedicated Citizen
Wed Nov 02, 2016 8:52 pm
That last line is a very good point.

Dedicated Citizen
Sat Nov 12, 2016 7:00 pm
Well, I kind of knew I was not going to make the word count this year. I'm editing my story from last year's NaNo, and I just didn't want to force it to be 100k words if the story didn't have to be. It's only 61k at the moment.

I was reading on the forums, that people generally accept 1 hour of work as 1k words. So this year, I'm aiming for at least 50 hours, which I have a better chance of achieving, though I'm only at 12 hours at the moment. Time to kick it up a notch XD
WishingMoon

Dedicated Citizen
Sun Nov 13, 2016 1:34 am
That sounds like a good compromise.

I have two papers due. Think the 12-ish pages will count for anything?

Dedicated Citizen
Fri Dec 02, 2016 5:53 pm
Finished NaNoWriMo this year! Woop

Now to keep working on it, because it's far from finished XD
Amurita

Knight of Zantarni
Sun Dec 18, 2016 3:54 am
Sorry for the super late reply. School started up for me, so I was super busy.

Anyways though, the camp version is just an online thing like normal nanowrimo, but instead of using forums to talk to others you are put into a little cabin with a chat box. It's also much more relaxed as they just encourage you to do something creative that month (eg editing, create a comic) with flexible word goals (starting from 10k words, i think).

And congrats on reaching your goal, Riley!