NaNo 2012 -- Anyone joining in this year?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 2, 3, 4
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Back to Forum -> Wordsmith's Nook [Nov.'19]
Amurita

Knight of Zantarni
Sat Dec 01, 2012 11:08 pm
@Riley: Yes it is, when I finished I felt so proud of myself x3
And hopefully you can!

@Lillie: Thanks! I was writing it more for fun than anything else, but I won't deny that if I was able to get it published I wouldn't pass it down.

Thank you Cel and Keres <3

Dedicated Citizen
Sat Dec 01, 2012 11:21 pm
I was able to win NaNo last year, though it was super stressful during the semester. I'm not too saddened that I couldn't do it this semester - I was freaking out about the nursing program and passing Micro. There will be more NaNo's!!!

I'd love to get this novel published XD I might put it on my bucket list :3
Amurita

Knight of Zantarni
Tue Dec 04, 2012 6:10 am
I know what you mean. When I was in school and attempted Nano, it did not work for me. Only this year with basically nothing else to do did it finally work. And I'm glad it did because it was a great experience.

It really is hard for me to keep writing without the added pressure of a deadline now though. I think I'll just try to keep writing with abandon until I finish so I can finally get to editting it.

And yes, getting a novel published is very bucket worthy. Thinking of the whole putting myself out there to an agent or publishing company (and likely getting rejected many times) is a scary thought though.

Dedicated Citizen
Sun Dec 23, 2012 10:49 pm
Yeah, having something that I've created be rejected doesn't sit well with me at all. If it does get published, I'd probably want to put it under a different name, heh
Mon Dec 24, 2012 1:39 am
Amurita -- I really wasn't thinking when I was typing. xD The long one is 70k. The short one is closer to 3,000 words. Totally got rejected from the one contest I applied to. But polishing a different short for entry in the next month.

I'm hard to intimidate. I will probably submit again and again because I am pretty darn sure I write awesome stuff and I think it's just a matter of finding a publishing company that recognizes my awesomeness.

That said, I'm not writing anything legendary. Just something entertaining that is enjoyable. I think I can do that just fine.

Knight of Zantarni
Wed Jan 09, 2013 5:28 am
Late reply is late. Sorry about that!

But moving on...

@Riley; Heheh, that is one way of going about it. But then again, if you do get it successful with somewhere else, the place that rejected you can then know easily what they missed out on Wink

@Fae; Ah, that makes more sense then :3
And that's too bad, but it's great to hear you're still trying.

I like your confidence! I know that personally I really lack it and that stops me from doing a lot of things. But hearing how confident you are is quite inspiring. I wish you get some people who recognize your awesome writings soon <3

---

Concerning my Nano novel it doesn't seem to want to finish! I was sure that setting another 20k words to add to it in december would be way more than I needed to finish. But nope. I'm now really close to finishing, but it's hard to keep myself motivated. I really just have to remember to finish and give myself time to edit so I can take advantage of it.
Mon Feb 04, 2013 2:38 am
Amurita --
I think the key to being confident is knowing that doing so is not necessarily being arrogant. Usually, you are your own strongest advocate. Someone has to believe in you, and if it's you, that's the best.

I am very aware that there are a lot of people who are as good as me, and plenty more who are a lot better than me. I'm also aware that a large part of making it in writing is that willingness to keep going, to keep improving, and to never be content with what your talent level.

A lot of people give up before they finish their first story. Or shortly after they finish their first one. My first story (which I finished eleven years ago) wasn't published. It wasn't terribly good. If I'd given up then, I'd never have gotten published. And rightfully so. I may not be publishable yet, but I'm much better than I was eight years ago or ten years ago. I'll be better (I hope!) in another five or ten years.

It may be that it takes me another eleven years to write something good enough to deserve publishing. That's okay. I'm on my way there. And I'm learning.

I think that's the secret to being confident. Not necessarily believing that you've got it right right now, but that given enough time and hard work that you can get it right.

Knight of Zantarni
Fri Feb 08, 2013 8:25 pm
That is some good advice. Personally, I don't think what I've written would ever get published, but the idea that one day, maybe it would be is a very alluring thought. I think I will try to apply that thought that with enough work and practice I will be good enough in writing and any other skill Very Happy

Oh and btw, do you know about the Nanowrimo Pitchapalooza that's being done? You can email a pitch to the Book Doctors, and they'll be choosing 25 random ones to critique. Then the best one (from those 25, I think) will be introduced to an agent/publisher.

I think I read that it doesn't have to be a nanowrimo work either, so I thought I would put it out there if you or anyone else is interested.
Mon Feb 18, 2013 12:56 am
I've seen a few things about pitch wars and the like. I haven't felt bold enough to submit anything to them yet. I'm still revising. ^^; Maybe after I finish this round of revisions ...

And I really need to get back to revising too. It's been a month since I really made any headway. Which is embarassing. I was doing much better. And then I got a job and I stopped working on my story so much.
Page 4 of 4